• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

பட்சணப்பாட்டி

Status
Not open for further replies.
பட்சணப்பாட்டி

[FONT=SHREE_TAM_OTF_0802]நடமாடும் தெய்வமென உலக மக்களால் போற்றப்படும் காஞ்சி மகாபெரியவர் தனது சிறுவயதில், பெற்றோருடன் திண்டிவனத்தில் தங்கியிருந்தார். அவரது அன்றையப் பெயர் "சுவாமிநாதன்'. தந்தை சுப்பிரமணிய சாஸ்திரிகள், தாயார் மகாலட்சுமி.[/FONT]
[FONT=SHREE_TAM_OTF_0802]சுவாமிகள், திண்டிவனத்திலுள்ள அமெரிக்க மிஷனரி பள்ளியில் படித்து வந்தார். அவர் பள்ளிக்குச் செல்லும் போதும், திரும்பும்போதும், தெரு முனையில் பட்சணம் விற்கும் ஒரு பிராமண மூதாட்டியிடம் அவற்றை வாங்கி [/FONT][FONT=SHREE_TAM_OTF_0802]உண்பார். சில நேரம் காசு கொடுப்பார். சில சமயங்களில், பிறகு தருவதாக சொல்லி விடுவார். [/FONT][FONT=SHREE_TAM_OTF_0802]ஒருமுறை, பட்சணம் சாப்பிட்ட போது காசு கொடுக்கவில்லை. பாட்டி கேட்டதற்கு, "அப்பா தருவார்' என்றார். உடனே பாட்டி, "இன்று உனக்கு பட்சணம் தரமாட்டேன், போ' என சொல்லிவிட்டார்.[/FONT]
[FONT=SHREE_TAM_OTF_0802]பெரியவர் அந்த மூதாட்டியிடம்,""பாட்டி! இப்போது நீங்கள் எனக்கு பட்சணம் இல்லை என சொல்லி விட்டீர்கள். இதே பட்சணங்களை தட்டு நிறைய வைத்துக்கொண்டு, நீங்கள் எனக்காக காத்துக்கிடக்கும் நாள் வரும்,'' என்று சிரித்துக்கொண்டே சொல்லி விட்டு போய்விட்டார்.[/FONT]
[FONT=SHREE_TAM_OTF_0802]இந்த சம்பவத்துக்குப் பின் பல காலம் கடந்து விட்டது. காஞ்சி மடத்தின் பீடாதிபதியான பிறகு சுவாமிகள் திண்டிவனம் சென்றார். தான் படித்த பள்ளி வழியாக தாங்கள் வசித்த வீட்டிற்கு சென்றார். வழியில், பட்சணப்பாட்டியும் தட்டு நிறைய பலகாரங்களுடன் சென்று சுவாமியை நமஸ்கரித்தார். பரவசத்தில் கண்ணீர் பொங்கியது.[/FONT]
[FONT=SHREE_TAM_OTF_0802]சுவாமி பாட்டியை ஆசிர்வதித்து பட்சணத் தட்டைப் பெற்று சீடர்களிடம் ஒப்படைத்தார். பெரியவரின் சொல்படி அவரைத் தேடி வந்த பாட்டியும், பட்சணத்தட்டும் பாக்கியம் செய்தவர்கள் தானோ!

[/FONT]
நீலக்கல் ராமச்சந்திர சாஸ்திரிகள்[FONT=SHREE_TAM_OTF_0802]
[/FONT]

நடமாடும் தெய்வமென உலக மக்களால் போற்றப்படும் காஞ்சி மகாபெரியவர் தனது சிறுவயதில், பெற்றோருடன் திண்டிவனத்தில் தங்கியிருந்தார். அவரது அன்றையப் பெயர் "சுவாமிநாதன்'. தந்தை சுப்பிரமணிய சாஸ்திரிகள், தாயார் மகாலட்சுமி.
சுவாமிகள், திண்டிவனத்திலுள்ள அமெரிக்க மிஷனரி பள்ளியில் படித்து வந்தார். அவர் பள்ளிக்குச் செல்லும் போதும், திரும்பும்போதும், தெரு முனையில் பட்சணம் விற்கும் ஒரு பிராமண மூதாட்டியிடம் அவற்றை வாங்கி உண்பார். சில நேரம் காசு கொடுப்பார். சில சமயங்களில், பிறகு தருவதாக சொல்லி விடுவார். ஒருமுறை, பட்சணம் சாப்பிட்ட போது காசு கொடுக்கவில்லை. பாட்டி கேட்டதற்கு, "அப்பா தருவார்' என்றார். உடனே பாட்டி, "இன்று உனக்கு பட்சணம் தரமாட்டேன், போ' என சொல்லிவிட்டார்.
பெரியவர் அந்த மூதாட்டியிடம்,""பாட்டி! இப்போது நீங்கள் எனக்கு பட்சணம் இல்லை என சொல்லி விட்டீர்கள். இதே பட்சணங்களை தட்டு நிறைய வைத்துக்கொண்டு, நீங்கள் எனக்காக காத்துக்கிடக்கும் நாள் வரும்,'' என்று சிரித்துக்கொண்டே சொல்லி விட்டு போய்விட்டார்.
இந்த சம்பவத்துக்குப் பின் பல காலம் கடந்து விட்டது. காஞ்சி மடத்தின் பீடாதிபதியான பிறகு சுவாமிகள் திண்டிவனம் சென்றார். தான் படித்த பள்ளி வழியாக தாங்கள் வசித்த வீட்டிற்கு சென்றார். வழியில், பட்சணப்பாட்டியும் தட்டு நிறைய பலகாரங்களுடன் சென்று சுவாமியை நமஸ்கரித்தார். பரவசத்தில் கண்ணீர் பொங்கியது.
சுவாமி பாட்டியை ஆசிர்வதித்து பட்சணத் தட்டைப் பெற்று சீடர்களிடம் ஒப்படைத்தார். பெரியவரின் சொல்படி அவரைத் தேடி வந்த பாட்டியும், பட்சணத்தட்டும் பாக்கியம் செய்தவர்கள் தானோ!

நீலக்கல் ராமச்சந்திர சாஸ்திரிகள்

Shri Narasimhan,

I really feel that by publicizing (or helping to publicize, such as this C&P job here) such silly incidents from the life of a person, we are in fact making silly of that person also and not adding to glory or greatness, if any he/she is supposed to have.

I will now recount an incident from the life of a RC friend of mine and I vouchsafe for its 100% authenticity. This man, in his boyhood, suffered a lot of poverty due to many reasons and ultimately he was compelled, when he attained the age of 18, to sell off his ancestral property for a pittance. It was heart-rending for him and, in his extreme grief, he told the scheming buyer that one day he would return with enough money and buy back the same land from the other fellow when he (the then buyer) would be suffering just as my friend was doing.

He went to Bombay with his mother and two sisters, toiled, and also somehow pursued some legal studies in evening/night schools and by his middle age, became an executive of a financial corporation. He had asked some real estate agents to search for good and profitable property in his native place. One of these real estate agents once brought to his notice one property for sale and my friend could recognize from the survey number, location, adjoining properties etc., as shown in the copy of the title deed that it was his own ancestral land which had been mortgaged and subsequently taken over by a money lender, for sale etc. He went and found that the fellow who had schemed to deprive my friend of his ancestral property had himself become abjectly poor and was under the mercy of the money lender.
My friend purchased the property at a reasonable price but did not divulge his particulars etc., to the seller in order that the latter did not suffer any guilty conscience.

The incident given in the OP is very much similar to what happened in my friend's life. But we don't then start eulogizing the original fellow or the property in question as பாக்கியம் செய்தவர்கள் தானோ! etc.

And, for all the eulogy, it is this very Ashram which has got mired in a murder case; let us not forget that also.

Sangom Sir,

The episode in your friend's life shows 'arasan andrE kolluvAn; deivam nindru kollum' - in this case not killing but making the man poor.

There are followers of mutts and they consider the Gurus equal or next to Gods. Let them believe. This OP should have been posted

in the thread exclusively started for MahAperiyavA and I have copy pasted the it there yesterday!

BTW, many threads in GD are C-P stuff, either from a daily news paper or magazines (including Tamil)

Mr. sangom sir,
Is it a sin to CP an episode that happened during the period of Periyava, as many present day people might not be knowing about what happened during Maha periyava's period. What you have mentioned in your reply is that of one individual's matter. What is mentioned in the article, Periyaval only accepted the offering of that grand old lady but handed over the same to his deciples. Yes the present day ashram is mired in a murder case, and we are concerned with it but are talking about periyaval's period.

Madam Rajiram,
What you mentioned in your reply is 100% true. Do you mean to say that one should not CP any good stuff when he or she come to learn or know. 90% of the threads are CP and the balance 10% are only some personal or family matters that are being posted irrelevant to the original stuff/thread.

Mr. sangom sir,
Is it a sin to CP an episode that happened during the period of Periyava, as many present day people might not be knowing about what happened during Maha periyava's period. What you have mentioned in your reply is that of one individual's matter. What is mentioned in the article, Periyaval only accepted the offering of that grand old lady but handed over the same to his deciples. Yes the present day ashram is mired in a murder case, and we are concerned with it but are talking about periyaval's period.

Shri Narasimhan sir,

Kindly read my post # 2 above carefully. I have not said that CP an episode (or for that matter any other content from any source) is a sin or an unlawful thing. But the attempts to glorify anything and everything about that person whom you call Maha periyava (MP) goes more often to making silly claims just as in this case. I gave my friend's episode just to show that such an incident as that of the பட்சணப்பாட்டி is nothing great or extra-ordinary.

Again this MP was also a controversial person and a good percentage of people including tabras do believe that Adi Shankara did not establish any Matam at Kanchipuram and that the MP had falsified many things in order for himself to make a sudden launch from being an ordinary sanyasi under the Shringeri mutt, managing the affairs of the Sharada Matam in Kumbhakonam, to a full-fledged and super Shankaracharya, all on a sudden. Because it was a matter relating to religion and this happened when the country was somehow fully caught up with the Independence struggle, not much resistance came. In this context I reproduce below some excerpts from Feet of clay | Hard News :

My own ancestral village is a few kilometres from Kanchipuram. I remember my father telling me that his father was a young man when the Kanchi Shankaracharya set shop in Kanchipuram at the turn of the 19th century. He also said that his father always referred, as did others in the area, to this new Shankaracharya as the Kumbakonam Shankaracharya. This is a nice play on the word "kumbakonam" — in colloquial Tamil, it is also used to refer to a shady deal, the Hindi "golmaal". - See more at: Feet of clay | Hard News

"My own ancestral village is a few kilometres from Kanchipuram. I remember my father telling me that his father was a young man when the Kanchi Shankaracharya set shop in Kanchipuram at the turn of the 19th century. He also said that his father always referred, as did others in the area, to this new Shankaracharya as the Kumbakonam Shankaracharya. This is a nice play on the word "kumbakonam" — in colloquial Tamil, it is also used to refer to a shady deal, the Hindi "golmaal". - See more at: http://www.hardnewsmedia.com/2007/11/1735#sthash.3cstTlgu.dpuf"

Incidentally my mother (who expired in 2002 at the age of 84) used to say that this PM, as a young sanyasi, used to visit her native Kerala village during the 10-day utsavam of the local temple, as a representative of Shringeri Mutt, to which all the tabras then held allegience. Of course she did not know the play on the word "kumbhakonam" but used to refer to this MP as "Kumbhakonam Swamiyar" only.

"The late Sir C P Ramaswamy Aiyar, who headed a Central Commission on Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments, once categorically stated, "There is no such thing as the Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham." Even the Supreme Court has judged that there are only four peethams established by the Adi Shankaracharya, and the claims of a fifth one in existence are without any basis. - See more at: http://www.hardnewsmedia.com/2007/11/1735#sthash.3cstTlgu.dpuf"

It may be useful to know that the Kashi Vidvat Parishad (Sabha) had examined the MP's claims regarding his mutt, his title as Jagadguru, etc., during the 1930's and resolved that all those claims were lies and so this person should not be given even the honour of a simple "yati" by the Parishad. Some say that MP never visited Varanasi, therefore.

Since I got the impression that you have a progressive outlook (from this post here) I felt that it might be proper to inform you that even if you want to eulogize and make a legend of this MP, it is better to use some amount of discretion and C&P only such anecdotes from that MP's life which will add to his (imagined) greatness.

Hope my position is now clear. I will recommend your reading the page at the url given by me above.
The late Sir C P Ramaswamy Aiyar, who headed a Central Commission on Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments, once categorically stated, "There is no such thing as the Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham." Even the Supreme Court has judged that there are only four peethams established by the Adi Shankaracharya, and the claims of a fifth one in existence are without any basis. - See more at: Feet of clay | Hard News

Last edited:

Shri Narasimhan sir,

Kindly read my post # 2 above carefully. I have not said that CP an episode (or for that matter any other content from any source) is a sin or an unlawful thing. But the attempts to glorify anything and everything about that person whom you call Maha periyava (MP) goes more often to making silly claims just as in this case. I gave my friend's episode just to show that such an incident as that of the பட்சணப்பாட்டி is nothing great or extra-ordinary.

Again this MP was also a controversial person and a good percentage of people including tabras do believe that Adi Shankara did not establish any Matam at Kanchipuram and that the MP had falsified many things in order for himself to make a sudden launch from being an ordinary sanyasi under the Shringeri mutt, managing the affairs of the Sharada Matam in Kumbhakonam, to a full-fledged and super Shankaracharya, all on a sudden. Because it was a matter relating to religion and this happened when the country was somehow fully caught up with the Independence struggle, not much resistance came. In this context I reproduce below some excerpts from Feet of clay | Hard News :

My own ancestral village is a few kilometres from Kanchipuram. I remember my father telling me that his father was a young man when the Kanchi Shankaracharya set shop in Kanchipuram at the turn of the 19th century. He also said that his father always referred, as did others in the area, to this new Shankaracharya as the Kumbakonam Shankaracharya. This is a nice play on the word "kumbakonam" — in colloquial Tamil, it is also used to refer to a shady deal, the Hindi "golmaal". - See more at: Feet of clay | Hard News

"My own ancestral village is a few kilometres from Kanchipuram. I remember my father telling me that his father was a young man when the Kanchi Shankaracharya set shop in Kanchipuram at the turn of the 19th century. He also said that his father always referred, as did others in the area, to this new Shankaracharya as the Kumbakonam Shankaracharya. This is a nice play on the word "kumbakonam" — in colloquial Tamil, it is also used to refer to a shady deal, the Hindi "golmaal". - See more at: http://www.hardnewsmedia.com/2007/11/1735#sthash.3cstTlgu.dpuf"

Incidentally my mother (who expired in 2002 at the age of 84) used to say that this PM, as a young sanyasi, used to visit her native Kerala village during the 10-day utsavam of the local temple, as a representative of Shringeri Mutt, to which all the tabras then held allegience. Of course she did not know the play on the word "kumbhakonam" but used to refer to this MP as "Kumbhakonam Swamiyar" only.

"The late Sir C P Ramaswamy Aiyar, who headed a Central Commission on Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments, once categorically stated, "There is no such thing as the Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham." Even the Supreme Court has judged that there are only four peethams established by the Adi Shankaracharya, and the claims of a fifth one in existence are without any basis. - See more at: http://www.hardnewsmedia.com/2007/11/1735#sthash.3cstTlgu.dpuf"

It may be useful to know that the Kashi Vidvat Parishad (Sabha) had examined the MP's claims regarding his mutt, his title as Jagadguru, etc., during the 1930's and resolved that all those claims were lies and so this person should not be given even the honour of a simple "yati" by the Parishad. Some say that MP never visited Varanasi, therefore.

Since I got the impression that you have a progressive outlook (from this post here) I felt that it might be proper to inform you that even if you want to eulogize and make a legend of this MP, it is better to use some amount of discretion and C&P only such anecdotes from that MP's life which will add to his (imagined) greatness.

Hope my position is now clear. I will recommend your reading the page at the url given by me above.
The late Sir C P Ramaswamy Aiyar, who headed a Central Commission on Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments, once categorically stated, "There is no such thing as the Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham." Even the Supreme Court has judged that there are only four peethams established by the Adi Shankaracharya, and the claims of a fifth one in existence are without any basis. - See more at: Feet of clay | Hard News

My dear Mr.sangom sir,

I do not find words to thank you for your detailed above reply. First I would like to tell you that I am a vadakalai iyengar, and naturally iyengars never talk about other sects, and I may be an exception. Having read a number of books I also know all about Kanchi sankara madam, and as you mentioned this madam is not one established by Adhi Sankarachariar. Why I am CPing the anecdotes and other episodes of the erstwhile sankarachariar is only with the intention that others also to know something about that only when the article attracts my attention. Definitely not with eulogizing or giving him prominance or to make him a legend. Considering his age and knowledge of veda vedanthaas, I think we must give him due respect and not as MP. As you rightly said I am a person with progressive outlook and never go to the extent of praising anyone without valid reasons. I am sorry how a person of your standing could misjudged me because even occasionally when I CPing his anecdotes. If you feel that I had used some hard words in my earlier reply, kindly bear with me for any slip in that reply.. With warm regards..Narasimhan

Madam Rajiram,
What you mentioned in your reply is 100% true. Do you mean to say that one should not CP any good stuff when he or she come to learn or know. ......
Dear Sir,

I thought it was not necessary to open a new thread for this, since there is an exclusive thread on 'MahAperiyavA' in our forum.

That is all. :)

My dear Mr.sangom sir,

I do not find words to thank you for your detailed above reply. First I would like to tell you that I am a vadakalai iyengar, and naturally iyengars never talk about other sects, and I may be an exception. Having read a number of books I also know all about Kanchi sankara madam, and as you mentioned this madam is not one established by Adhi Sankarachariar. Why I am CPing the anecdotes and other episodes of the erstwhile sankarachariar is only with the intention that others also to know something about that only when the article attracts my attention. Definitely not with eulogizing or giving him prominance or to make him a legend. Considering his age and knowledge of veda vedanthaas, I think we must give him due respect and not as MP. As you rightly said I am a person with progressive outlook and never go to the extent of praising anyone without valid reasons. I am sorry how a person of your standing could misjudged me because even occasionally when I CPing his anecdotes. If you feel that I had used some hard words in my earlier reply, kindly bear with me for any slip in that reply.. With warm regards..Narasimhan

Dear Shri Narasimhan,

I agree that the Maha periyava was a vedic scholar, having undergone the true brahminical vaideeki education of those days. It appears to me that he was, up to some point of time, a sanyaasi managing the Sringeri Sarada Matam at Kumbhakonam.

I have heard from some old timers that once a group of austere and rich tabras from the Tanjore side went to visit the Sringeri matam which was then the only sankara matam for most of south India. They were not only orthodox but were zamindars also and expected that they would be treated with the high honour they were usually accustomed to, in all other places. But the then Jagadguru, Swami Chandrasekhara Bharati did not give any special treatment or special respect to them; they had to wait for their turn to get personal interview, etc. This made the tabra zamindars aggrieved. They thought about the "insult" which they had to suffer and came to the conclusion that it was because the Shringeri mutt swami was a Kannadiga. Hence they resolved to make their own, tabra jagadguru. Our MP accepted the challenge and the next thing we find that the Kumbhakonam matam is stated to be the make-shift of the original Kanchi mutt established by Adi Shankara, and so on.

I have not been offended by any of your posts or replies to me, nor am I personally interested in preventing people from believing in the greatness of the MP. But the particular anecdote regarding பட்சணப்பாட்டி, appeared to me to be too silly an event for a man whose greatness should not be 'wasted' in this manner. That was why I wrote a rejoinder.

hi

just i like to say something.....many palakkad iyers never followed any matam.....i never heard kanchi mutt in my childhood...

even though i was a veda patasala student....in our veda patasala in kerala ...we never follow any particular matham.....

after reaching chennai.. i heard abt kanchi matham.....majority of tanjore/kumbakonam tambrahms follow kanchi matham....

many tambram villages in thirunelveli dist follow sringeri matham...like kadayanallur/sankara kovil/ambasamudram side...

i think one of the acharya of sringeri mutt is from thinnaveli...........just info.. generally palakkad brahmins follow sringeri/kanchi

in the same manner....i never heard abt kanchi mutt in my childhood in palakkad agraharam.....

Pranams,

My ancentors belong to Kumbakonam and my father who moved to Chennai had told me about Sankara Mutt at Kumbakonam. We had lot of relatives there and also immovable properties too.

While browsing through Google, 'Kumbakonam' in the Wikipedia, I found the following naration:

According to the chronicles of the Hindu monastic institution, the
Kanchi matha, the matha was temporarily transferred to Kumbakonam in the 1780s following an invasion of Kanchipuram by Hyder Ali of Mysore.[3]HYPERLINK \l "cite_note-southindianshrinesp325-21"[21]HYPERLINK \l "cite_note-southindianshrinesp326-22"[22]HYPERLINK \l "cite_note-kanchi-23"[23] When Tipu Sultan invaded the east coast of South India in 1784, Kumbakonam bore the brunt of his invasion.[14]HYPERLINK \l "cite_note-marathatanjorep62-24"[24] The produce fell sharply and the economy collapsed.[14]HYPERLINK \l "cite_note-marathatanjorep62-24"[24] Kumbakonam did not recover from the calamity till the beginning of the 19th century.[24]

2. When I browse Google for origin of the Kanchi Mutt, in 'kamakoti.org' among lot of other references, I found the following naration which is worth mentioning:

The Chengleput District Gazetteer, published by Charles Stuart, I.E.S., in 1879 A.D. gives the following piece of information: "The first of these wandering controversialists was Sankarachari, who wandered all over India, establishing the dying religion , Saivite faith and fanning the persecution before which the last disciple of Sakya fled. He paid particular attention to Conjeevaram where he worked many miracles and founded a matham or monastery". (Chengleput District Gazetteer -1879 - Ethnological, Religious and Social, pages 86 & 87).

I would like to share this information with the members and much interested to know the origin.

With regards

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to ignore cantankerous posts which see the world only through red filters. You must remember the dictum "I cannot raise to your level; I will try to bring you down to mine". One can only pity them and pray for their redemption (not in theological sense, but in common sense)

Mr. sangom sir,

You have to ignore cantankerous posts which see the world only through red filters. You must remember the dictum "I cannot raise to your level; I will try to bring you down to mine". One can only pity them and pray for their redemption (not in theological sense, but in common sense)

Well said Sir, I can only pity them.

With regards

Most smartha iyers belong to Sringeri mutt only, as do I. Wonder why such an alleigance when we had a Kumbakonam mutt right in our midst !

Pranams,

My ancentors belong to Kumbakonam and my father who moved to Chennai had told me about Sankara Mutt at Kumbakonam. We had lot of relatives there and also immovable properties too.

While browsing through Google, 'Kumbakonam' in the Wikipedia, I found the following naration:

According to the chronicles of the Hindu monastic institution, the
Kanchi matha, the matha was temporarily transferred to Kumbakonam in the 1780s following an invasion of Kanchipuram by Hyder Ali of Mysore.[3]HYPERLINK \l "cite_note-southindianshrinesp325-21"[21]HYPERLINK \l "cite_note-southindianshrinesp326-22"[22]HYPERLINK \l "cite_note-kanchi-23"[23] When Tipu Sultan invaded the east coast of South India in 1784, Kumbakonam bore the brunt of his invasion.[14]HYPERLINK \l "cite_note-marathatanjorep62-24"[24] The produce fell sharply and the economy collapsed.[14]HYPERLINK \l "cite_note-marathatanjorep62-24"[24] Kumbakonam did not recover from the calamity till the beginning of the 19th century.[24]

2. When I browse Google for origin of the Kanchi Mutt, in 'kamakoti.org' among lot of other references, I found the following naration which is worth mentioning:

The Chengleput District Gazetteer, published by Charles Stuart, I.E.S., in 1879 A.D. gives the following piece of information: "The first of these wandering controversialists was Sankarachari, who wandered all over India, establishing the dying religion , Saivite faith and fanning the persecution before which the last disciple of Sakya fled. He paid particular attention to Conjeevaram where he worked many miracles and founded a matham or monastery". (Chengleput District Gazetteer -1879 - Ethnological, Religious and Social, pages 86 & 87).

I would like to share this information with the members and much interested to know the origin.

With regards

Shri Balasubramani,

As you perhaps know, the internet will contain all types of information. But their veracity or truth contained in those many web pages is usually, a big question mark. I give below one url which gives yet another accusatory account about the Kanchi Mutt but here, the Mutt and its two known Peethadhipatis are depicted as stooges of the British and/or the Rothschild family! (Ajit Vadakayil: KANCHI MUTT , A CREATION OF THE WHITE INVADER FOR DIVIDE AND RULE ? CAPT AJIT VADAKAYIL)

The truth lies, according to me, in authentic accounts which one can find. I give below one url:

Real history of the Kanchi math (Re: Former President Inaugurates...) Celebrations

I invite special attention to the following portion thereof:

"The following excerpt
from the same article in the Illustrated Weekly should show readers the
exact means which the Kanchi math propaganda adopts.

"The Vyasachaliya Sankara Vijayam, written by Maha Devendra
Saraswati, the 53rd acharya of the Kumbhakonam math in the 15th century,
makes no mention of the Kanchi math in his work. However, in a Tamil
translation of the work by Acharya Krishna Sastri, it is mentioned that
the then King of Nepal had accepted the acharya of Kanchi, located in
Kumbhakonam, as his Rajguru and was making a payment to the math every
year as guru dakshina.
"Researchers, who doubted the claim, referred the matter to the
royal family of Nepal. the reply dated May 13. 1940 read `...Nepal has
never recognized the head of the Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham as their guru.
Nor do we annually contribute any portion of our income as alleged by
Pandit Acharya Krishna Sastri.'"
But belief, especially in religion and religious matters make people into utter foolishness, on many occasions and there is no point in trying to convince them through logical arguments, facts and figures. There was one pamphlet brought out during the 1970's giving the full details, claims made by the Kanchi Mutt and their refutation with convincing documentary evidences. Two points therefrom which are still in my memory are (1) the resolution of the Kashi Vidwat Sadas (already referred to), and, (2) the evidence from government records of the British period that some time during the 19th. and 18th. centuries, the land on which the Kanchi Matam claims that it was situated during the said period, was a stable for the horses of the British Cavalry.

Most smartha iyers belong to Sringeri mutt only, as do I. Wonder why such an alleigance when we had a Kumbakonam mutt right in our midst !

hi
even i do the same....some where something fishy...im not sure....

Shri Balasubramani,

As you perhaps know, the internet will contain all types of information. But their veracity or truth contained in those many web pages is usually, a big question mark. .

Sri Sangom Ji,

Having said about the materials made available thro internet and their authenticity, which remains as a question mark, as per you, I believed you will come up with some other source. But to my disappointment, you have cited an url
Truth may lie according to me, in authentic accounts which one can find from excerpt
from the article given below: (As the article is lengthy, I am furnishing only excepts. You can leisurely go thro the same by searching thro google)

Times Publishes Realistic History of Kanchi Mutt

The Times of India on September 4th, 2009 released a book entitled “The Holy Sankara Mutt” detailing the history of the Kanchi Mutt from Adi Sankara to its present Sankaracharya’s Sri Jayendra Saraswati Swamiji and Sri Vijayendra Saraswati Swamiji.
…………..

There is ample sculptural and epigraphic evidence to show Adi Sankara’s connection to Kanchipuram, and its temples and that Adi Sankara established the Kanchi Mutt. Ancient sculptures of Sankara can be found in the Ekambarnatha, Kailasanatha, Kumrakoshtam, Varadaraja Perumal, Kamakshi Amman and many other temples in Kanchipuram. One of the most stunning ancient sculptures is within the precincts of the Kanchi Mutt. Inscriptions in Ambikapuram village temple wall near Kanchi and copper plate inscriptions on land grands to Kanchi Mutt indicates the antiquity of the Kanchi Mutt.
……………

It is crystal clear that Adi Sankara’s advent was centuries before 8th Century AD and he founded the Kanchi Mutt. Recent publications abound, written by Indologists/historians and the author would be well advised to update himself to the plethora of evidence that has emerged to substantiate the claims of the Kanchi Mutt regarding the 482 BC origin.

External Links:

1. Periya Puranam, G. Vanmikanathan, Sri Ramakrishna Mutt, 2004
2. Kanchi Kamakoti Mutt: A Myth or Reality, W.R. Antarkar, Bhandarkar Oriental and Research Institute 2001
3. Sanksepa-Sankara-Jaya of Madhavacarya or Sankara-Digvijaya of Vidyaranya Muni, W.R. Antarkar, Bhandarkar Oriental and Research Institute 2004
4. History of India , Roshen Dalal, Penguin Books India Pvt. Ltd., 2002

With regards

Source:
http://kanchimutttruehistory.blogspot.in/

hi
just i like to say something.....many palakkad iyers never followed any matam.....i never heard kanchi mutt in my childhood...
even though i was a veda patasala student....in our veda patasala in kerala ...we never follow any particular matham.....
after reaching chennai.. i heard abt kanchi matham.....majority of tanjore/kumbakonam tambrahms follow kanchi matham....
many tambram villages in thirunelveli dist follow sringeri matham...like kadayanallur/sankara kovil/ambasamudram side...
i think one of the acharya of sringeri mutt is from thinnaveli...........just info.. generally palakkad brahmins follow sringeri/kanchi
in the same manner....i never heard abt kanchi mutt in my childhood in palakkad agraharam.....

Dear Sri tbs,

I belong to Coimbatore. The small Brahmin community there are followers of Sringeri Matam. There was a branch of Sringeri Matam in Raja Street Coimbatore. A dilapidated old building, where some vadhyaars used to rest in the Thinnai. This was demolished and rebuilt into a fine Marriage Hall under the instructions of the dynamic Acharya Sri Abhinava Vidhyathirtha Swamigal. I have seen Acharya Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati Swamigal when he visited Coimbatore. My grand mother was keeping a four anna coin presented by Acharya Sri Nrisimha Bharathi Swamigal in her Pooja.
I have heard about Kanchi Matam only when I visited Kanchipuram for the first time.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sri tbs,

I belong to Coimbatore. The small Brahmin community there are followers of Sringeri Matam. There was a branch of Sringeri Matam in Raja Street Coimbatore. A dilapidated old building, where some vadhyaars used to rest in the Thinnai. This was demolished and rebuilt into a fine Marriage Hall under the instructions of the dynamic Acharya Sri Abhinava Vidhyathirtha Swamigal. I have seen Acharya Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati Swamigal when he visited Coimbatore. My grand mother was keeping a four anna coin presented by Acharya Sri Nrisimha Bharathi Swamigal in her Pooja.
I have heard about Kanchi Matam only when I visited Kanchipuram for the first time.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.
hi
still coimbatore..many ******* belong to sringeri mutt....i think there is big sringeri mutt temple in ram nagar....like thirunelveli...

a large devotees of sringeri mutt in coimbatore.....

Sringeri mutt is considered original where as Kanchi mutt is not!

I have seen mAmAs boasting that they are devotees of S. mutt AchAryAL! :thumb:

Sri Sangom Ji,

Having said about the materials made available thro internet and their authenticity, which remains as a question mark, as per you, I believed you will come up with some other source. But to my disappointment, you have cited an url
Truth may lie according to me, in authentic accounts which one can find from excerpt
from the article given below: (As the article is lengthy, I am furnishing only excepts. You can leisurely go thro the same by searching thro google)

Times Publishes Realistic History of Kanchi Mutt

< snipped >

Shri Balasubramani,

As already explained by me, I do believe that the Kanchi Mutt and its associated unbroken lineage right from the original AdiShankara who is pushed back into 5th. century B.C., by the Kanchi Mutt guruparampara, etc., are all not supported by any reliable evidence or by other supporting facts. The Kanchi Mutt claims many things for itself and there are many people who are willing to subscribe and support those claims, rather blindly. There was a publication which I referred to but I don't have a copy with me. As of now, therefore, we will get only internet material.

But it is a fact that such 'small' mutts are capable of self-aggrandisements of different kinds, when an ambitious, business-minded and with rather flexible ethical principles get to be the peeThaadhipatis is a truth. We now have, like a galaxy forming out of a nebula - in space physics, a new Shankara Matham at Sakatapuram, near Shringeri itself which already claims parity with the original four aamnaaya matams! To put matters in correct perspective, this Sakatapuram mutt had a branch mutt somewhere in Tiruvottiyur or so and that had become completely decrepit two or three decades ago. The main activity of the sanyasi in-charge of the asram was to sell தாயத்து for mitigating complaints of all kinds, from devotees.

The new peeThaadhipati who took charge some 20 or 30 years ago, went straight to Delhi, Mumbai, etc., and successfully established links with many 'influential' people. One such is reported to be a very rich, billionaire, businessman who has, for reasons not yet clearly known, become a complete devotee of this swamiji. Now the ashram is overflowing with funds and there is every likelihood that it will try to upstage shringeri ashram in the near future and claim that Adi shankara had actually established his ashram not in Shringeri but in Sakatapuram!

As you know, I am an agnostic and so do not believe in any of the 'greatness' of all these swamijis. But I feel sad that hindus (and tabras) flock to such saffron-clad people at the flimsiest of reasons and then try to make gods out of such ordinary people who have taken to the occupation of sannyasa as a means of livelihood only. I am reminded of the famous line "udara nimittham bahukrita vesham" by all such sanyasis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back