• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

வாக்கரிசி (vakkarisi)

Status
Not open for further replies.

narayananms

dear moderators

my brother-in-law (sisister's husband) expired yesterday. he belonged
to sama veda and bharadwaja gothram.

all the relatives including my sister were present at the time of rituals
at the house. normally, vakkarisi would be put on the dead's mouth by
not only relatives but also friends. vadyar would advise those who are
not coming to the graveyard may offer "vakkarisi" before the body is
taken to the graveyard.

but to my surprise, the vadyar said that vakkarisi rituals should be done
only by the pangalis and not by any others (including my sister).

the relatives were very much disappointed.

i would request the knowledgeable moderators to enlighten me.

narayananms

hi

just info...i belong to samaveda /bharadwaja gothram...i think these vaakarisi system based on family tradions.....many tanjore

brahmins systems different from palakkad brahnin systems.....becoz im familiar with these systems in my family....so vadhyar

advice is to be acceptable to all.....therefore aathu vadhyar more familiar to particular aathu systems....generally gothra

thayadis are only allowed in vaakarisi....shri kgopalan sir can give more details abt this subject....

Last edited:
Vakkarisi is restricted to relatives, who are not going to the mayanam. If there are close friends to the departed soul, they could also take part/ not everybody, who have gathered. Normally, others may not volunteer for this. I think wife may not be one to put vakkarisi, because she is the Feeder to husband, all his life time. However if there is any specific reason for the wife , as per Vadhyar, it is fine. Ofcorse , Customs/ practices differ.
Rishikesan

vakkarisi is to be put by sons and son-in-law and brothers and sisters of the dead person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back