• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are you a Brahmin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you a Brahmin

The word strictly speaking has originated from Sanskrit language.
In the Vedas, it is referred to as the Supreme Self of Hinduism.
Some of the Kings who ruled India preferred Brahmins as their
Advisors and relied on them for various ministerial functions during
their kingdom. In fact, in the early part of 19th Century, Brahmins
were a powerful and influential group because of their proven
intelligence.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

The word strictly speaking has originated from Sanskrit language.
In the Vedas, it is referred to as the Supreme Self of Hinduism.
Some of the Kings who ruled India preferred Brahmins as their
Advisors and relied on them for various ministerial functions during
their kingdom. In fact, in the early part of 19th Century, Brahmins
were a powerful and influential group because of their proven
intelligence.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

bala,

why is this obsession with intelligence and brahmins. are not other groups bestowed with intelligence or is it a monopoly of brahmins. again, by brahmins do you mean tambrams?

what happened in the early 1800s, prior to the 1857 war, that made tambrams influential? and influential where? because the then tamil nadu was carved into small kingdoms and nawabis, all vassals of the british.

personally, i think, we tend to have this romantic but mistaken view about our 'intelligence'.

in my youth, an uncle of mine, was referred in hushed tones, among the family members, that he was 'கணக்குலே புலி'. further enquiries would have revealed, that he could add and subtract at speeds faster than anyone in the family, and his knowledge of maths was confined to just that. two generations later, his grand children revere him now as a math genius, another 'ramanujan' whose career was destroyed due to antibrahministic discrimination :) such is how myths are born...

I am going to conduct a sample survey among London Brahmins to decide what contributes most to decide one is a true Brahmin or not. I have submitted a mathematical model of Brahminhood in my post "Are you a Brahmin?"

Please let me know any commission or omission or addition.
London swaminathan

Can you give a link?
After reading kunjuppu's post I too have the same question? I also think there was a thread with similar words? I do not see any purpose in rehashing and opening old wounds.

Last edited:
hi london,

what is the purpose of your survey?

btw where is the survey? it is not attached here to your post.

thank you.

I am going to conduct a sample survey among London Brahmins to decide what contributes most to decide one is a true Brahmin or not. I have submitted a mathematical model of Brahminhood in my post "Are you a Brahmin?"

London swaminathan

How do we define true brahman?

Dear All
The survey points in percentage is already in the blog 'Are you a Brahmin?'
But I want a better format.If intellectuals from the Tamil Brahmins.com give a model it will be very helpful.

What is the purpose?
A lot of youngsters including my children are confused about what is the minimum expected things from Brahmins in the modern world.Hundred years ago when a Brahmin boy was considered for marriage they rejected boys with "bad habits" and without Kudumi.Later they accepted boys who smoked and drank liquor. Later they accepted who ate non veg. Now it looks like one can drink,smoke,eat non veg and say that he is a true Brahmin.I live in London.None of my circle of friends do such things.So my question is Is Punul is the only qualification for Brahminhood or anything else. I don't want our members to answer this question. I want to ask these questions to London Brahmin youths--only a sample survey. I wonder whether anyone has already done such a survey in any part of the world.If it is done please let me have a copy.
swami

I understand your post, You want to create a list of qualifications for Brahmin.
I will start with your definition of the word Brahmin.
Is it the Birth based? Is it Guna based? Is it based on practice? Does crossing the ocean negates your brahminness? Not doing the practice makes you a non-brahmin?

I wish you luck, I do not know the purpose of your study.

.... I have submitted a mathematical model of Brahminhood in my post "Are you a Brahmin?"
First it was "No Brahmin - No Tamil", and now "Are you a Brahmin?", nice going.

Such narcissistic preoccupation with Brahminhood is unique to only Brahmins and it is an indicator of supremacist feelings. No NB goes about examining who is a real Shudra, only Brahmins do that.

In any case, the answer to this question is not at all complex, it is as straight forward as who your biological parents are. In theory and in practice as far back as collective memory will go, birth is the only criterion that is used to determine who a Brahmin is, nothing more, nothing less.

In theory, all Brahmins trace their ancestry via birth alone back to early Brahmin rishees who in turn trace their origin to the Brahmin of all Brahmins, Chaturmukha Brhmma. As if to answer any inconvenient questions that may arise, we are told we are not supposed to look for the origins of rishees and rivers.

But in practice it is all a #@^& shoot, who wielded political and economic power determined which varna a clan or tribe belonged to -- Happy has furnished mountains of evidence for this in the past. Before anyone pounces on me that this is a contradiction, the reality is changes happened off and on and Bramins permitted others to become Brahmins based on political and economical convenience, and then clamped the birth rule after that.

People who cite Srimath BG to claim Brahminhood is based on guna have just not understood BG, or the commentaries written by revered acharyas of Brahminical traditions like Adi Sankara, Ramanuja et al. You look at what Arjuna says in Chapter 2, or what Lord Sri Krishna says in Chapter 9, and the commentaries of these verses, there is no ambiguity, birth alone determines who a Brahmin is. The story of Gauthama and Satyakama Jabala is another clear cut illustration of birth determining who a Brahmin is.

Further, if you look at the keepers of Brahmin orthodoxy today, those who come close to performing the rituals mandated for Brahmins, they emphatically state birth alone determines whether one is a Brahmin or not.

So, to bring in guna in this equation as though even one born a Dalit, like Thiruppanazhvar or Thirunalaippovar, can be considered a Brahmin based on their gunas is complete obfuscation of reality and a perverted attempt to usurp all sublime qualities to Brahmins alone. This is what Brahmin supremacists attitude is all about, and the reason why around 97% of Tamils oppose Brhaminism.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
nara,

i think london swaminathan, is a spam guy. one of us, maybe, masquerading as a newcomer, and that too, of a 'scientific persuasion' and having a good laugh at our squabbles.

:)

London swaminathan
Swami, i don't see a mathematical model attached. Please provide. Maybe you could consider the poll question asked in this post also - http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/7527-7m-aarivu-4.html#post107997

Hi
There is no mathematical model. I posted an article under the title Are you a Brahmin two or three weeks ago in which my friend has given percentage for deciding brahminhood. That is what I called mathematical model.Please read my original article in my blog in Tamilbrahmins.com

Now I have prepared a questionnaire for the survey. I will post it after a few final touches.

Who Am I?
Thanks for giving me a golden opportunity to boast about myself.
I am not a spam guy under the disguise of london swaminathan.
I am the Original London Swaminathan (sounds like Lord Krishna in Gita!!)
I was Senior Sub Editor of Dinamani, Madurai for sixteen years and the British Government recruited to broadcast over the BBC Tamil Service for six years.
Later I started teaching Tamil at the University of London. I have been living in London for 25 years with my family. Please read my 20 plus articles in Tamilbrahmins.com.
My other articles are too big for this forum. I have got twenty more research articles already uploaded on to other blogs. Enjoy reading.I have prepared the model survey questionnaire.I will upload it soon

I would like to post this in shortest format possible as to give the explanation in full will be to long for this forum. Hope my short input will throw some light on this very interesting subject.

First and foremost my thinking is that to discuss this subject we should leave aside the perception we have or had about who is Brahman and the stereotype conducts we had towards whom we consider or considered to be one. As per Lord Krishna, in Bhagwat Gita, Chapter 18 verse 40 and 41 there is no creature either on earth or in heaven other than the Lord Himself who is free from the 3 qualitites in life, namely ''sattvic", "rajasic" and " tamasic". It is the activities and ones karmas that devide the human beings in 4 categories-"Brahmins", Kshatryas", "Vaisyas" and "Sudras".

For anyone to categorise oneself as Brahmin he should have these in him: Serenity, self-restraint, austerity, purity, forbearance, knowledge of vedas, wisdom and faith in religion.

Furthermore the Brahmins of Satyayug, treta yuga, had done little but to foster the aforementioned requirements by their teachings at no charge. They used to have own ashrams and devoted their live in pujas and helping others learn about god and showed the path to attain swarg and morch. They lived on the offerings they received in return and not levied fees and conditions that we see today.

For these reasons I personally do not beleive in one attaining the title of Brahmin because he is born in that family. The father may be one but it is not necessary that the offspring is one too. One has to have the abovementioned qualities to get that title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back