• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Breaking of pumpkins during house-warming function

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.R.Ranganathan

Sirs,

We normally break pumpkins at the house warming ceremony. What is its significance ?

Is it mentioned in any puranas or scriptures ?

I heard the sanskrit name for pumpkin is kooshmanda. There is a story that kooshmanda is the son of kooshmanda devi, created by Lord Vishnu. He is an asura and torturing the devas. Ultimately he was killed by the Lord.

I will be pleased to know the answer from our illustrious friends. Thanks

N.R.Ranganathan.

I dont know how far its true..but the Kushmanda (which is also called Ash gourd) is supposed to represent an life.

That is why red kumkum is smeared on it and when it breaks the red colored kumkum and the Kushmanda juice represents blood.

Its is broken to satisfy the entities of the unseen kind and to ward off "evil".

It could have its origin in some non vedic sacrifices.

This is what I have heard long back.

I stand corrected.

It is a practice to cut a 'bali' - a white pumpkin with kumkum inside and place in all directions, around the new house.

And, one full
white pumpkin
painted with a demon face will hang in front of the new house.

We see metal plates painted with demon face hang on the front wall, in many houses.

There is an interesting page here about 'warding off an evil eye'!

What is called Drshti and why people break white pumpkin

In Sing. Chennai, most of the shop keepers break white pumpkins on ALL new moon days which is hazardous to the two wheel drivers! :sad:

It is a practice to cut a 'bali' - a white pumpkin with kumkum inside and place in all directions, around the new house.

Break it if you must in sucha a way it is reused Like Coconut without Kunkumam etc. Youc an try recipes like Kasi Halwa and Agra Petha with them!

Try Dhrishiti Ganesa instead ! But be careful about Mantrams!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back