• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Can a month have natchatrams repeated twice?

• Thread starter Thread starter newnewgen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
some natchathrams will repeat twice in a month. This is because there are only 27 natchathrams and a Tamil month has more

number of days (viz) 29 / 30 / 31 / 32! So, the natchathrams that appears in the first few days of the Tamil month will repeat

towards the end. Please check a panchAngam to know this fact.

there is significance attached when two natchatrams come within the same month.

if i am not mistaken, thevasams are performed on the second one, and birth days/auspicous functions on the first one.

or

vice versa :)

atleast it used to be that way, about 50 years ago. not sure of those now.

Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

Birthday is celebrated according to star and srAddham is performed according to 'thithi'.

Some families choose the first star to celebrate and others the second one. Mostly it is a family practice.

If you refer to the panchAngam, if two thithis appear in a month in any paksham (sukla / Krishna), then

one 'srAddha thithi' is marked 'athithi' and hence each of the srAddha thithi is only ONE in a Tamil month.

It will be surprising to note that sometimes two consecutive srAddha thithis appear on the SAME day!

Please refer to some panchAngam to check this. :)

The query appears to be " how can there be a repeat occurrence of the same nakshatram, twice in a month".

There are 27 Nakshatrams, and months have more than 27 days. So, one or more nakshatram is likely to occur twice.

The query appears to be " how can there be a repeat occurrence of the same nakshatram, twice in a month".

There are 27 Nakshatrams, and months have more than 27 days. So, one or more nakshatram is likely to occur twice.
Logical and simple

Dear Naina Sir and Prasad Sir,

Did you miss my post #2 giving the answer to the Q in OP?

some natchathrams will repeat twice in a month. This is because there are only 27 natchathrams and a Tamil month has more

number of days (viz) 29 / 30 / 31 / 32! So, the natchathrams that appears in the first few days of the Tamil month will repeat

towards the end. Please check a panchAngam to know this fact.

Dear Naina Sir and Prasad Sir,

Did you miss my post #2 giving the answer to the Q in OP?

My apologies. Here is the problem: In our retina, there are things called rods and cones. The cones provide the eye's color sensitivity and are labeled according to their spectral sensitivities: short (S) for blue, medium (M) for green, and long (L) for red cone types. May be the blue-sensing S cones in my eyes are losing their sensitivity? So I can't see postings with blue-coloured letters/fonts? Just kidding!

No, I did not miss it. I felt the responses were straying off track. So, I was merely trying to simplify using what Tamil Pundits would say சுருங்கச் சொல்லி விளங்கவைத்தல்!

( Incidentally, My post had 178 characters vs 251 in yours!)

Last edited:
......... So, I was merely trying to simplify using what Tamil Pundits would say சுருங்கச் சொல்லி விளங்கவைத்தல்!

( Incidentally, My post had 178 characters vs 251 in yours!)
First :clap2: for சுருங்கச் சொல்லி விளங்கவைத்தல்!

But this does not work sometimes in our forum and members get :confused: .
One more :clap2: for counting the characters in the two posts!

P.S: Hope you can read my post easily, now. Just kidding!! :)

hi

i got this info from other forum....

When two thithis fall in same month the second thithi is taken for performance of Shradham.

Regarding Birthdays if the star fall on two days in a month the first star-day is considered for the Birthday.

Nambhoothiris follow just the opposite way. Birth star Second and Death thithi first

Last edited:
Dear TBS Sir,

There is absolutely NO confusion in 'srAddha thithi' because there is a separate column to find it out.
One of the thithis is marked athithi and hence no rituals on that day! :peace:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back