• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Dhanam as per Garuda Puranam during / after death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was reading the Garuda purana to understand the type of Dhanam to be carried out as my father passed away in last week.
According to garuda purana translation, In my understanding, there are 8 important dhanam to be made by a person apart from Land (the size of cow Shed), Fruits & a Bed are considered.

The Garuda Purana: Chapter VIII. An Account of the Gifts for the Dying

To my Understanding there are Daily Thilokada dhanam (Subject to the convenience of Kartha) & dasha, pancha dhanams during the 11th & 12th day along with above.

So My confusion is why are the 64 dhanams on 12th day is prescribed? Is this the combination of all the days dhanam? Can anyone share the list of dhanam & help me understand better.

I don't think that there are 64 dhanams on the 12th day. Now a days, the rituals are done as per the budget given by

the 'karthA'. The dhanams like land or cow is replaced by one 'mattai thEngaay' with Rs. 100/ (or more) placed on it.

That is what I have observed! Small gold bits and silver coins are sold especially as dhanam items in jewelry shops.

The sAstrigaL has to be consulted for the details and any advice by our forum friends might not be accepted by them!

The dhanams had value in the past but now a days even the sastrigals suggest cash and the dhanams are symbolic while doing the puja/rituals, which I think is also practical. How many sets of bedding/chappals/ umberlla can a person keep. While even if you donote a cow is it practical or possible to maintain it. These are issue
which needs to debated in changed and fast changing world

Dhanam is done for the departed soul to safely reach heaven and cross the ocean of sorrows (that is actually an imaginary thing..vaidarani river is a river of blood and other flesh, bones, etc. filled river).if we donate cow, we can safely reach by holding the tail of cow..if we give chappal, we can cross the desert and the umbrella is also meant for that..i think these three are very important than other dhanas to reach YAMA LOKA SAFELY but i feel is whatever one person doing good acts will make him to crosss all obstacles rather than giving articles after death..
rv:fish2:AM I FISHING UNDER TROUBLED WATERS?

kinly see in the sticky thread anthyeasty and anthim karyams thread. many details are there.

Namaskaram,

Thanks for reply. I had read it earlier. Your thread also mentions for the pancha, dasha, shodasha & Ishta Dhanam. However during the performance, Noticed these are given to overcome the obstacles during the travel to Pitru Loka. Hence additional dhanams shall be considered in Ishta Dhanam only.

As suggested by others Dhanam in form of money, I personally not agree that the money can replace them. in example, only water / Liquid can reduce the thirst not by other form. But understanding the present situation, I made a small change in my approach i.e. made the Dhanam material in small quantity & included higher amount so that can help them to decide the way they want to spend. As far as the cow is concerned, I made it in total cash & Coconut, but this is not to my satisfaction. So i am considering additional donations to Gohshala as per convenience.

Regards,
Srinivas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back