• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Gaya -- the pitru kshethra

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAYA -- THE PITRU KSHETHRA
(A chapter from the book titled 'Gaya Sraaddha')

The very mention of Gaya invokes in us a sense of devotion suffused with pride and excitement. It is every son's duty to go to Gaya after the demise of his parents and conduct Gaya sraaddha.

Apart from delighting the pitrus his act bestows eminence on his family as well.

Jeevator vaakya karanaat,
Pratyaabdam Bhuri bhojanaat,
Gayayaam pinda daanaat,
tribhi: putrasya putrataâ

say the Sastras.

When the parents are alive, obey their commands. When they die, perform their annual sraaddha properly. And go to Gaya and offer pindas for them. You can be called a son to your parents only when you do all these three things.

Gaya is in the state of Bihar. It is located on the Kolahaala Mountain in a beautiful place called Champaka. God is ensconced here as Gadaadhara.

How many sraaddhas do you have to do at Gaya?

As per the sastras you will require at least six days to complete all the sraaddhas required of you. But over the years mandatory observances have been reduced to two Hiranya sraaddhas and one Paarvana sraaddha. This is the least one has to do at Gaya.

The modus operandi for this â˜minimum observance is described below.

1. At Phalguni River: You should go to the Phalguni River and bring the water, and on the banks of the river itself your lady will make the havis, with help from the locals. She will then take out one part of the broth and make 17 pindam-s from it. You will do pinda pradaana of the 17 pindams with sankalpa mantras right there on the banks, and after doing â yataasthanaâ you will give the pindas to the cows there.

2. At Vishnu Paada: This is where you go next, to do pinda pradaana. You may recall that when we do sraaddha at home we chant Vishnu paadaadi samasta paadeshu dattama at the time of Brahmana bhojana. You literally do this now. You take the remainder of the havis cooked at Phalguni River and make 64 pindas, and do pinda paradaana with sankalpa mantras. And you have the great fortune of reaching these 64 pindas directly to Vishnu paada (the feet of Mahavishnu), instead of imagining it. The satisfaction you get when you do this is indescribable.

3. Paarvana sraaddha: You may undertake the next part of your observance, the Paarvana sraaddha, in the place in which you are staying. We stayed at Karnataka Bhavan, which offers the facility. You should do a sraaddha with homa, with five Brahmins present. At the end of the sraaddha again you have to make 64 pindas out of the havis cooked here, and take them to Akshaya Vata.

4. Akshaya Vata: You may recollect that in the course of our annual sraaddha we say â˜Akshaya Vataâ when doing the namaskara (obeisance) at the end of Brahmana bhojana. This is the place to which you now take the pindas made out of the paarvana sraaddha havis. Akshaya Vata is a huge peepul tree and you offer the pindas in the shade of this tree. A speciality of the pinda pradaana here is that 16 of the 64 pindas you offer are for the mother and are referred to as a˜maatru shodasiâ. You can sense an exhilarating, almost supernatural vibration as you enter Akshaya Vata.

Another feature of Akshaya Vata is that you can offer pindas not only for your forefathers of your Gotra but even others and pray for their journey to pitruloka. This can include your near and distant relatives, friends, even your enemies. So it would be wise to prepare a list of people for whom you would like to do pinda pradaana, note their gotra, sarma nama (the name by which they are supposed to do their Brahmin karmas) etc. and have the particulars ready.

It is a matter of great significance that in the Ramayana we are told that Rama and Sita offered pindas for King Dasaratha. You should consider it as nothing short of a divine blessing that you are doing pinda pradaana at such a sanctified spot.

5. A vegetable, a fruit and a leaf: At Akshaya Vata, you usually take a pledge to drop a vegetable, a fruit and a leaf from your diet and not to eat these for the rest of your life. You decide the names and inform a Purohit there, and he will do the sankalpa for you. At the end of the sankalpa you offer a Brahmin there the consecrated water (tirtha), which he takes, confirming your pledge.

When you finish all the foregoing observances you realize that it is far beyond your usual lunch time, and you did not even feel hungry! Now that you have completed this leg of your stipulated rituals, you eat the pitru sesha bhojana (the remainder of the Sraaddha food).

The legend of Gaya:

Gayasura was a great Asura whose powers of tapas (penance) were comparable to those of Hiranyaksha and Hiranyakasipu. The Devas approached Brahma, Siva and Vishnu “ in that order “ to make him desist from his penance, as they feared he would ask for boons that could be their undoing. Brahma tried to convince them that Gayasura was of a noble mind and would not ask for anything deleterious to their welfare, but their fears remained. They watched with trepidation as Vishnu offered boons to Gayasura.

Gayasura asked the Lord: Make mine the most sanctified, the purest body on this earth, much purer than even those of devas, rishis, mantras and other sanyasis. And anyone who touches me should be cleansed of all his sins and become pure.

He further prayed: All Gods, with or without form, should be consecrated at this place as long as this Universe exists. This sthala could be named as Gaya, after me. People who come here to do sraaddha and pinda pradaana should get promotion to Brahmaloka after their death, in spite of any sin that they might have committed on the earth.

Mahavishnu, who had expected Gayasura to ask for mukti (freedom from rebirth) was pleased that he had prayed for something that would benefit the world at large, and gave him the boon. He was wonderstruck at the sacrificing nature of Gayasuraâs boon-seeking.

But the Devas realized that the boon would be a double-edged sword, and could do great harm. This was because one key deterrent to wrongdoing is fear of hell, fear of being condemned. If people were to be rid of this fear by the knowledge that anything they do can be absolved with a visit to Gaya, sins would escalate and the very foundation of Creation would be shaken. They approached Vishnu again.

Mahavishnu conveyed their view and anxiety to Gayasura and asked him to offer his body for a yaga (penance). Gayasura was delighted to submit to the Lords wishes and lay down across the Madhuban called Champaka aranya, with the Kolahala Mountain for a pillow. This became what is Gaya today.

Buddha Gaya
: If you have the time and the inclination, do visit Buddha Gaya and the Bodhi tree under which Gautam Buddha got his realization. You can also go to the Buddha temple in this place.

Pratyabdika sraaddha and Gaya Sraaddha
:

A word about this. It is absurd to think that doing Gaya sraaddha exempts you from doing pratyabdika sraaddha or the annual ceremonies for your departed parents. This is quite contrary to what the sastras say. If you have a stupendous feast at a five-star hotel one day, don’t you need to eat the next day or for the rest of your life? Sraaddha at Gaya is a very fulfilling ritual, and one should try to do it in one’s lifetime. But it has no correlation to the pratyabdika sraaddha that you have to do annually. The annual ceremony has to be done, and there is no exception.

When you complete the Gaya sraaddha and touring around Gaya, you will find it difficult to leave Gaya, the place renowned as ˜Pitru Kshetraâ

http://periva.proboards.com/thread/2056/gaya-sraaddha#ixzz3inWZdPDC

கயாவில் அக்ஷய வடம் ('அற்றது பற்றெனில் உற்றது வீடு')

(முன்னோர்கள் நல்ல கதி அடைவதற்காக, உங்களுக்கு விருப்பமான, இலை, காய்(கிழங்குகள் அல்ல), பழம் முதலியவற்றை கயாவில் விட்டு விட வேண்டும்)

அக்ஷய வடம் பல்லாயிரக்கணக்கான ஆண்டுகளாக இருக்கிறது. சதுர்யுகங்களின் முடிவில், பிரளயம் வரும் பொழுது பரமாத்மா, அக்ஷய வடத்தின் இலையிலேயே சிறு குழந்தையாக(ஆலிலைக் க்ருஷ்ணர்) சயனித்து மிதந்து வருவார். அவர் திருவடிகளில் உலகனைத்தும் ஒடுங்குகிறது. இதை நினைவுபடுத்தும் விதமாக, அக்ஷய வடத்துக்கு அருகில் சிறு மண்டபம் போன்ற அமைப்பில் ஸ்ரீகிருஷ்ணர் கோவில் கொண்டிருக்கிறார்.

'காசி யாத்திரையின் மிக முக்கியமான கட்டம் இது. உங்கள் முன்னோர்கள் நல்ல கதி அடைவதற்காக, உங்களுக்கு விருப்பமான, இலை, காய்(கிழங்குகள் அல்ல), பழம் முதலியவற்றை கயாவில் விட்டு விட வேண்டும். அதாவது அவற்றை இனி உணவில் உபயோகிக்கக் கூடாது. உங்களைப் பெற்றவர்கள், உங்களுக்காக, எவ்வளவோ தியாகங்களைச் செய்திருப்பார்கள், அவர்களுக்காக நீங்கள் செய்யும் தியாகம் இது'..

மிகவும் பிடித்த ஒரு இலை, ஒரு காய், ஒரு பழம் இவைகளை நமது மூதாதையருக்காக இனி பயன்படுத்தமாட்டேன் என்று விட்டுவிட வேண்டும்.
காமம், குரோதம், மோகம் ஆகிய மூன்று பற்றுகளை விட்டு விட்டதன் அடையாளமாக ஒரு காய், ஒரு பழம், ஒரு இலை ஆகியவற்றை மந்திரத்தை சொல்லி இங்கு துறந்தோம். பிறகு அவற்றை வாழ்நாளில் பயன்படுத்தக்கூடாது.

சரி என்று நாம் ஏதாவது ஒரு இலை, ஒரு காய், ஒரு பழம் விடவேண்டும். அதனை நாம் என்றுமே உண்ணவே கூடாது.

1. அவரவர் இல்லத்தில் திதி கொடுக்கும் போது செய்யப்படும் சமையலில் (இது வீட்டுக்கு வீடு மாறுபடும்) உபயோகிக்கும் காய், கனிகளை விடக்கூடாது. முக்கனிகள், திதியில் உபயோகிப்பதால் அவற்றையும் விடக்கூடாது.

2. வாழைக்காய், எல்லா வித சிரார்த்தங்களிலும் உபயோகிப்பதால் அதை விடக் கூடாது.

3. வாழை இலை, தாமரை இலை (சாப்பிட உபயோகிப்பதால்) முதலியவற்றை விடக்கூடாது.

4.இங்கு சங்கல்பம் செய்து விட்ட பின்பு, போகும் வழியில் அவற்றைச் சாப்பிட நேர்ந்தால் பரவாயில்லை. ஊருக்குப் போய்ச் சேர்ந்த பின்பே, நியமத்தைக் கடைபிடிக்க வேண்டும்.

5. காசி யாத்திரை பூர்த்தியான பின், காசியில் விட்ட காய், கனிகளை எங்காவது வேறு வழியில்லாமல்,சாப்பிட நேர்ந்து விட்டால், அடுத்து வரும் கார்த்திகை மாதம், அந்தக் காய், கனிகளை கணிசமான அளவில் வாங்கித் தானம் செய்ய வேண்டும் (அதுக்காக, தானம் செய்து விட்டுச் சாப்பிடக் கூடாது).

6. முக்கியமான விஷயம், இந்த நியமம், இங்கு வந்து சிரார்த்தம் செய்து, சங்கல்பம் செய்த கணவன் மனைவி இருவருக்கு மட்டுமே பொருந்தும். மற்ற குடும்ப உறவினர்களை இது கட்டுப்படுத்தாது.

7. ஆகவே, காசியில் விட்ட காய் கனிகளை வீட்டில் வாங்கலாம், சமைக்கலாம். வேறு யாருக்கேனும் வாங்கிக் கொடுக்கலாம். ஆனால், காய் கனிகளை விட்ட தம்பதியர் மட்டும் சாப்பிடக்கூடாது. சிலர் நினைப்பதைப் போல், அந்த காய் கனிகளைக் கையாலும் தொடக்கூடாது என்றெல்லாம் இல்லை.

8. இங்கிலீஷ் காய், கனிகள் விடுவதில்லை.

இந்த விஷயங்களைக் கூறிவிட்டு, 'எந்தெந்த இலை, காய், கனிகளை விடப் போகிறீர்கள் என்று முடிவு செய்யுங்கள். கணவன், மனைவி இருவரும் ஒத்த மனதினராக, ஒரே ஒரு இலை, காய், கனியின் பெயரைக் கூற வேண்டும். தனித்தனியாக, வெவ்வேறு பெயர்களைக் கூறக் கூடாது' .

'அற்றது பற்றெனில் உற்றது வீடு' என்பதற்கிணங்க, மோக்ஷ கதி அடைய வேண்டுமெனில் உலகப் பற்றை விட்டொழிக்க வேண்டும். சம்சார சாகரத்தில் கதியற்றுச் சுழலுவோருக்கு அது மிகச் சிரமமான காரியம் என்பது தெளிவு. ஆகவே, ஒரே ஒரு காய், பழம், இலை முதலியவற்றில் இருக்கும் பற்றுதலையாவது விட்டொழிக்க முயல்வது,

சிறுகச் சிறுக, உலகப் பொருட்களில் இருக்கும் பற்றுதலை விட்டொழிப்பதை நோக்கிச் செலுத்தும். அது, இப்பிறவியில் இயலாவிட்டாலும் இனி வரும் பிறவிகளில், நம் ஆன்மாவில் ஒட்டியிருக்கும் ஜென்மாந்தர வாசனையாக மாறி, கொஞ்சம் கொஞ்சமாக ஆன்ம முன்னேற்றத்தை நோக்கிச் செலுத்தி, ஏதேனும் ஒரு பிறவியில் மோக்ஷமடைதலைச் சாத்தியமாக்கும் என்ற நம்பிக்கையிலேயே இந்த சம்பிரதாயம் ஏற்படுத்தப்பட்டிருக்க வேண்டும்

Hinduism Journalist

I have been to Gaya, I have witnessed fist hand the legal blackmail by Pandas there. The place you put the pind there is no water. It is the biggest ripoff. If your superstition makes you go there, be ready to be taken.

I have been to Gaya, I have witnessed fist hand the legal blackmail by Pandas there. The place you put the pind there is no water. It is the biggest ripoff. If your superstition makes you go there, be ready to be taken.

I too have visited Gaya twice. Once with my father and mother and second time with my wife and mother. There was no black mail by any Panda. We too went to the Karnataka bhavan on a reference. We have no complaints at all. we were not fleeced. We had the satisfaction of doing everything required properly. As long as suckers are there, there will be cheats to make them that. LOL.

I have never been to Kashi , Gaya but do intend to go there in future but many of my relatives , friends have been there and so far I did not hear of any major negative views from them . Might be they go with some known Persons who are better able to co-ordinate everything . I feel now Kashi and Gaya tours are being organized by many people and though business is the primary motive but it seems that quality of service has improved and the service in various packages depending upon how much you can spend . Yes there are also lot of people who loot the visitors and hence better to go with inputs from people who had already been there to prepare yousrelf for the same monetraily and otherwise .

hi

thanks for the post....i visited gaya with my family....i had nice experience....no complaints...we need a proper guidance required...

I visited Gaya, after staying in Kasi, on 27th April 2006 and performed Amavasai Tharpanam there. Bs from Karnataka are doing this. Since we have not performed Shrardham, they arranged lunch in some other place, which was horrible. The Priest's house is nearby Vishnupadam Temple.

Prasadji

I can help you by giving contact numbers etc in case you wish to undertake Kasi Yatra in traditional South Indian way.

You have to start your Kasi Yatra from Rameswaram and end the yatra at Rameswaram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back