• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Gifting Cow

Status
Not open for further replies.

narayananms

dear all

as per one of my family member's wish, we all, hailing from a village near vellore, decided to
gift a cow.

i want to know the procedure to do the gift. is it necessary to gift the cow to a brahmin.
i am of the view the cow which is gifted to a brahmin (who lives in town) may not be able
to take care of the cow and he may sell to somebody. instead, shall we gift it to someother
person. there are so many yadhavas in my village and they are maintaining cattle for their
livlihood.

can we buy a cow from the person in the village and gift it again to him.

can i get clarification from members as well as the rituals to be held in connection with
the "Gow" dhanam.

thanks

narayananms

dear all

i have posted the above last week. i do not find any response from members.
i would once again request learned members to enlighten me with their
suggestions regarding gifting of cow.

narayanan m.s.

Pls Check this first - this has been discussed before:

tamilbrahmins.com/rituals-ceremonies-pujas/3704-goh-dhaanam.html

first preference should be for a worthy Brahmin,which itself is a difficult task these days. Typically, the person should be doing the Trikala Sandhya at the base minimum; if he maintains agni, all the better. He must be poor and must be engaged in rigorous Veda-adhyanam; eats one time only; gets less involved with elaborate rituals and temple visits etc. and generally restricts his circle; tends to meditate a lot; does scholarly studies; Most these factors may be quite difficult to identify. You need to make subtle inquiries. The purpose is to ensure that through the cow his family gets some sustenance; nourishment and he is able to offer worship to the cow.

dear sirs

thanks for the details.
but my doubt has not been cleared by the learned.
i wanted to know (1) whether a cow can be gifted to a man
belonging to yadhav community. (2) whether the cow be
purchased from him and again gift it to him.
(3) what are the formalities to be adhered to gift the
cow to him - rituals?

thank you all

m.s.narayanan

dear sirs

thanks for the details.
but my doubt has not been cleared by the learned.
i wanted to know (1) whether a cow can be gifted to a man
belonging to yadhav community. (2) whether the cow be
purchased from him and again gift it to him.
(3) what are the formalities to be adhered to gift the
cow to him - rituals?

thank you all

m.s.narayanan

Shri Narayanan,

I remember having read a book in English, describing how our Puranas describe the procedures for different kinds of gifts or dānas. But I did not keep any reference and so now I am not able to trace it on the web even.

Basically all the dānas, including godāna have been prescribed with the central purpose of brahmins getting maximum pecuniary benefit out of these. Whether such dānas will confer any merit or puṇya on the giver is a moot point and depends entirely on the mental make-up of the donor, imo. It may be more worthwhile extending financial help to orphans, people suffering from diseases, old age homes etc., according to me.

The book which I had read explains that the cow to be gifted as godāna should conform to certain standards and should not have any of the inauspicious signs or qualities. It has to be well looked after and should be gifted when it is in its prime calving ages. It should be washed well before the godāna, its horns covered with silver covers (gold is best) with precious stones set therein and the torso should be covered by silk, wool, etc., clothes. The godāna is effective only if given to a brāhmaṇa or brāhmaṇas who follow all the brāhmaṇadharmas meticulously.

The donee brāhmaṇa should be invited, given all the honours due to a respected brāhmaṇa and then a pooja has to be done to the cow (to be gifted) and then, the rope tied to the cow along with adequate dakṣiṇā to enable the donee brāhmaṇa to maintain the cow for reasonable period, should be offered as dāna (with flowers - tulasi and water being poured on to the items in the hands of the brāhmaṇa or brāhmaṇas.

In the gopūjā the donor and his wife have to do pradakṣiṇaṃ of the cow being gifted and prostrate before it.

As to your doubts, therefore,—

(1) whether a cow can be gifted to a man belonging to yadhav community.

Of course, you can gift a cow to anyone according to the laws of the land but it will not be a godāna as per our scriptures.

(2) whether the cow be purchased from him and again gift it to him.

Cow can be purchased from anyone/any source, but it should satisfy the lakṣaṇas (லக்ஷணங்கள்) laid down in the scriptures; as to gifting it back to the owner, please read answer to item No.1 above.

(3) what are the formalities to be adhered to gift the cow to him - rituals?

Already detailed in the third & fourth paras above please.

Last edited:
I think Lalu Prasad Yadav is of yadava Clan, I am sure he will be more than willing to accept a cow.
I subscribe to the idea of Mr. Sangom.
It may be more worthwhile extending financial help to orphans, people suffering from diseases, old age homes etc., according to me.

You might also contribute to Goshala in your town, state.
"FEED AND SAVE COWS at PANCHAVADI GOSHALA"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back