• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to determine prayer dates for a deceased person based on Tithi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am looking for some insight into how prayer dates (for 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th month prayers) are determined for a family member who as passed on :-(. I am Tamil and from what I know the panchangam is used, and specific dates for offering prayer for the soul (up until the 11th month) are based on the thithi when the person passed on. Is this correct? And are the other factors to be taken into account?

I am trying to determine this myself using the available online panchangam and looking at where the same thithi repeats itself on every odd month, but the dates I get are different from what my family has been told. Some assistance and light on this subject will be most appreciated.

Regards,
N.

hello sir i first want to inform you that monthly prayers are called masikam. it is to be performed upto 12 months. first we should determin in which lpaskha the death was happened. i.e inpoorvapakhsa or krishna lpaksha. porrva paksha meas form next day tonew moon day to full moon day. krishna paksha means from next day tlo poornima upto ammavasya. and then the thithi in which death was happened. according to that you can find srartha thithi from lpanchangam acording that paksha. becasue thithi and srartha thithi may differ on some days. according to that you can perform maskikam. apart from that 27th day. 45th day 91st day and 6 months completion and befor pradama varsha apthikam uoona maiskam to be performed. for this uoon amasikam to find the dates there are some restrictions. if you are in tamilnaduyoucan consul these days with sastrigal.

Rajappa Namakkal

Dear Rajappa

Thank you for the above information, and helping me understand as i am learning. I have determined the paksha (shukla/poorva) and srartha thithi (dwadashi) already. Apart from days you mentioned, shouldn't the tithi that the masikam is performed be the same as the thithi which is known at time of passing, so why should tithi at passing be different from sratha thithi? Apologies, if I am confusing the matter.

Correctly said Rajappa.
on the 13th day (Graekkiyam), Saastrigal should have given the dates for all the monthly ceremonies including 27, 45, 91 and 6-month up to next mid-april and to wait for the new panchangam to arrive. If one cross checks the dates given by the Sastrigal and the available panchangam, one could easily understand how the monthly ceremonial dates have been arrived at.

May your family member's soul rest in eternal heavenly peace.

anbudan
agaramaangudi jayaraman

the masikam has to be done on the thithi of death happened in each and every tamil month upto 11th month. some times the thithi may be in two days.
atthat time we may got confused on which day the masikam to be done. for that in between two days onwhich day the thithi is available in the afternoon.
if it be on both days in afternoon then it should be decided on which dayit is longer ltime. for more details we can get in Dharmasatrs suruckkam thithi nirnaya
kandam which is available in Chennai in Tamil. it elobaretely deals in doing masikam, uoona masikam date fin;alising, thithi nrinayam daily rituvals nithyakarmanustanam aswoucha kandam determination of theetu on acount of birth and and onaccount of death. etc. other wise you can consuly your sastrigal regarding your doubt.

Rajappa Namakkal

a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back