• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old age home for brahmins

• Thread starter Thread starter drjippu
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drjippu

Namaskarams.
Recently i made a survey of old age home in and around chennai. There are good one like classic homes and ssm which are of good standard but quite expensive. There are certain small budget ones on omr, but providing less than the normal comfert.
If one class is cmparable with star hotels, the second ones are like tea shops. I think of creating some thing in between, say like udupi hotel/ saravana bhavan.
I want to create an old age home at affordable cost for middle class old brahmins.
This is purly a social service with no business intention.
People are interested to join me in this noble cause. Especially those who may need such facility for their own use after a couple of years can now statrt the initiative.
Iam in late fiftees looking for a shelter after say 5 to 10 years. Thus my motive is also slightly selfish.
Thanks
Dr Sivarama Krishnan

Greetings!
I would like to give few information from my experience about old age home.
Myself and my husband moved to an old age home in Pollachi in last October as my husband was ill and was to be taken to Coimbatore for medical consultations.
The place is good. The facilities are good. But there are many hidden costs and also whatever facilities they have given in the websiteand told us when we met them initially, all are not exactly available. Say they have given in their website “Lift facility available.” But it is not available. “ Regular visiting physician, Round the clock nursing care. 24 hr Ambulance facility ,Mini departmental store and medical store.” These facilities are also not there. Every year they increase the rent from thousand to thousand five hundred per person. Coming to the food. No cook stays more than three months. Preparation of food is also not hygienic. In vegetable soup, we find small white worms usually found in Maida. The cashew they use in rice preparation or pongal smells bad. They don’t clean Ragi before making kanchi. The mud comes in the mouth. In general, we could not go along whatever in the website or are able to know anything better by staying in the home for a day or two. We come to know the exact picture only on our stay for quite some time.
Yes by the way, I lost my husband in Dec. 2011. Now I plan to shift to some other old age home in Coimbatore which is cheaper and runs with service attitude towards aged people.

Vijiramanan

Vijiramanan,
Please post your honest opinion about this other place you are moving to. Can you also name the place you are currently living so we can avoid the same mistake. You may PM me. thanks

Greetings!
At present I am at Preetham Old Age Home, run by Mrs Vanitha Rangarajan, near Pollachi. I am thinking of moving to Kovai Pudur, Sundari Old Age Home.

Vijiramanan

One small confusion in my mind,

There are also gated communities where you buy your own flat and all services, like kitchen housekeeping laundry healthcare, nursing are available.

Or there could be PG like accomodations,

which ones are we talking about ??

One small confusion in my mind,

There are also gated communities where you buy your own flat and all services, like kitchen housekeeping laundry healthcare, nursing are available.

Or there could be PG like accomodations,

which ones are we talking about ??

No confusion here.
There are various levels.
1) Based on service expected.
2) based on Charges.
3) based on ownership.
4) location.
5) food type.

Wanted to know more,

Are all of them like PG accomodation, with enough privacy and life of your own ?? or are you at the mercy of others in terms of having to live in a group. I tend to keep to myself, and would not ever be happy in a dormitory kind of situation.

by the way Old Age Home seems such a bleak word

how about "retirement Villas" "Wisdom Retreat" kind of a name

Dear Madam

Sundari Old Age Home, Kovai Pudur is a very nice place. I have had people stay there before, and have visited the place
several times. Until recently Dr & Mrs Mahadevan [ Retd Principal R.E.C. Manipal ] were there. There is also facility for
visiting relatives to stay there. My brother, [ Dr. Murali Manohar - Global Head R&D Arcelor Mittal, based in Chicago ]
stayed for a few days there and had only nice things to say about the place and people.

I hope they are maintaining the place and standard and also that your stay there is pleasant.

Guruvethunai
Anand Manohar

Dear Dr Sivaramakrishnan

I suggest you speak with Ms Savitri Vaidy - Vishranti and get vital inputs from her. Though she is now 81 yrs old, she is still the same brisk and vibrant person she was 25 years ago.She has been doing an excellent job for a long time now.

My Chitti & I have been associated with her and her self-less mission for a long time. Destitute shelter and care are
provided, irrespective of caste / community. This is purely a non-political, non-communal and non-profit making
organisation and she abhors publicity and halos of any type.

And, maybe as a Doctor, you could offer your services in the hospice attached to the "Home" in Neelangarai, ECR.

I will call Savitri Aunty and call you on your cell number, after checking her availability and convenience.

Guruvethunai
Anand Manohar

Dear Dr Sivaramakrishnan

I've been trying to send you an attachment, somehow been flopping - hope it goes
through this time - "The Hindu" article on Ms Savitry Vaidy.

Guruvethunai
Anand Manohar

..... Sundari Old Age Home, Kovai Pudur is a very nice place. ...........
Do you know that if a senior citizen if affected by some skin infection, they are shown the door, in that Home?

One of our friends had to shift to Chennai from that home, since she had some skin problem.
:lever:

Dear Raji Mam

No, I was not aware of such an approach by "Sundari". Folks I was referring to too shifted to Chennai, but not
because they " were shown the door". They did so on their volition. They still have fond memories of the
place, people and the general ambience !

Thanks for your notification, I will be just that much more careful in recommending "Sundari". I am sure "Sundari"
is not the right place for an inmate with some kind of deadly, contagious condition.

Thanks again
Guruvethunai
Anand Manohar

........ I am sure "Sundari" is not the right place for an inmate with some kind of deadly, contagious condition. .....
Dear Sir,

Sundari is the best place for seniors without skin problem!! My DH's uncle who is 90+ is having a wonderful time there, for

nearly ten years. Since he is proficient in homeopathy, he is popular too! :)

Regards..............

This thread is one month old! After the OP the doctor has not given any feed back.

Did he get a group of people to help him start his dream project? His views are welcome! :ranger:

PS: Was the target of the thread just 'five stars'?? :noidea:

Greetings!
Just I came to know that there was some court case between Sr. Citizens of Vanaprastha, Coimbatore and the Management. Now the Management has filed case against the Sr. Citizen and won the case. Now the Sr. citizens are fined with 10 lakhs each to pay to the Management as compensation. I live in Sundari Sr. Citizen Home. I just would like to know about this and keep me updated. If anyone knew about this kindly give me the complete details.
Regards
Vijiramanan

namaskarams, Nice to see your message . yes i am also interested. mohankumar chennai

Namaskarams. Recently i made a survey of old age home in and around chennai. There are good one like classic homes and ssm which are of good standard but quite expensive. There are certain small budget ones on omr, but providing less than the normal comfert. If one class is cmparable with star hotels, the second ones are like tea shops. I think of creating some thing in between, say like udupi hotel/ saravana bhavan. I want to create an old age home at affordable cost for middle class old brahmins. This is purly a social service with no business intention. People are interested to join me in this noble cause. Especially those who may need such facility for their own use after a couple of years can now statrt the initiative. Iam in late fiftees looking for a shelter after say 5 to 10 years. Thus my motive is also slightly selfish. Thanks Dr Sivarama Krishnan 09884273151

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back