• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Process of performing Rudra-homam at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Respected Vadyar's and other learned members,

Namaskaram.

I have learnt reciting Rudram all by myself by reading and playing audio simultaneously and have been successfully reciting it at home on monday's while doing rudra abhishekam for the past several months. Now, i am interested in doing Rudra-Homam at home on Maasa-shivratri days (Monthly - Shivratri day). I have found a place where i can order Homa Hundi, Base, Sacred Wooden sticks etc and other items required for homam.

However I would like to learn the proper and sequential way of performing the homam. I understand this could be a very long answer, but I have no avenues to learn this. Any help or guidance is much appreciated. I understand that the steps are below briefly (I found this on internet), i am looking for the mantras and procedures in each step.

1. Havan Kund
[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
2. Pavitra Dharanam & Prarthana

Darbha grass , ring...

3. Achamanam & Siromarjanam

Usage of water to cleanse... (need mantras).

4. SthalaShuddhi

This is a ritual wherein the performer takes water unto his right palm and chants that, ' all the negative spirits who are trying to hinder our spiritual practices, immediately be gone and give way for the auspicious energies to enter our lives. Thereafter, the water is sprinkled all around to ward away these evil forces. Then the performer takes a vessel filled preferably with turmeric water and chants mantras inviting higher beings and sages and simultaneously sprinkles the water with mango leaves or Darbha grass in all eight directions. Sthala shuddhi is a purificatory rite.

5. Mahaganapati Pooja

In the ancient Hindu scriptures, the elephant headed deity, Ganesha, is always worshipped in the beginning of any ritual. With his blessings ensure that the whole procedure would move smoothly unhindered by any external obstacles at any stage.

Ganesha is invoked into a conical figure made by mixing turmeric powder and water. Turmeric is considered very auspicious and is therefore used to represent the deity. Thereafter, a method of worship involving sixteen steps is performed to please him. All these steps are symbolical representations of the various forms of expressing reverence like offering the deity a golden throne to be seated, washing his feet, washing his hands, offering him water to drink, ceremonial bathing with sacred waters, offering new clothes, anointing him with sandal paste and other perfumes, adorning of jewels, worshipping with flowers, offering of fragrant incense, lighting the lamp, offering food, fruits and sweet drinks, chanting his praises, offering Arathi and finally seeking his blessings. This ritual is done to all the important deities in every Havan.

6. Kalasha Pooja

This is a very important step in the Havan for it is here that we invoke the main deity of the Havan. If it is a Gayatri Havan, Goddess Gayatri is invoked; in a sudarshana Havan, Sudarshana is invoked and so on. The deity is invoked and worshipped in the copper pot filled with water. A coconut is placed over the mouth of the pot and the coconut is surrounded by five or seven mango leaves. This is further decorated with flower garlands and a cloth is draped over it. It is placed at the North- Eastern corner of the Havan kund or the sacrificial fire. Shodashopachara Pooja is performed to the respective deities in the kalasha. Yet another significance of the copper pot is that it absorbs all the positive energies generated during the Havan and hence the divine water in the Kalasha is sprinkled upon and distributed to the participants at the end of the Havan. This water becomes charged with all the divine energies and has immense healing powers. Shodashopachara Pooja is performed to Sri Amma and Bhagavan seeking their blessings.

7. Agni Pratishtapanam, Dhyanam & Agni alankaranam

Here, the sacrificial fire or Havan kund is sanctified by chanting

8. Next , what? Can i start reciting Rudram...with Swaaha at the end instead of namah?

Sir,
Rudram chanting has been very helpful for me personally in several aspects. Your help in this process can be a good guide for many people like me, so if you have a few minutes please help. If the mantras are in any particular chapter or verse please let me know and i will google it. I can even give you a phone call (where ever you are). I can speak Telugu, Tamil, Hindi and English languages. I can read Hindi and Telugu.

Thanks
-Anand Aiyer.

Hello,

It is nice to see such a post!! Based on your above post i would like to suggest some pre requisites.

1. Get a guru for yourself and get a proper learning of rudhra and then proper kriya procedures( Audios are called as "Prathi dwhani" which is not allowed as per dharma)
2. There is a rule that Homa kunda should not have any metal. Even the available homa kunda's which is made up of cement will have iron rods in it. Please be careful with this. and also there is some mathematical calculation regarding the amount of bricks,the shape of homa kunda etc; which differs for each and every homa.
There are still a lot more .. I just jotted the inital points that came across my mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back