• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Shradha Tithi

Status
Not open for further replies.

cshariharan

Radhekrishna
My father´s shradham tithi is Dhanu Masa (Margazhi Masam) Suklapaksha Shashti day. Accordingly, my father´s this year shradham date is marked on the 16-12-2015 by our family Vadhyar/Purohit. When I searched the web for the shradham date in on the website of Drik Panchang (sradha tithi calculator) it is giving the date as 15th January 2016. I am confused and hence request you to help and assess the correct date of shradham of my father.

My father´s D.O.D was 12-01-2000 at 10.40 am at Palakkad (Kerala-India)

Awaiting your response

C.S.Hariharan

Sir,

Your vAdhyAr has given the correct date.

On 15th Jan 2016 Thai month starts. (12-01-2000 was in Margazhi).

Mrs. Raji Ram

16/12/2015 is Dhanur maths sukla paksha sasthi thithi kyour vathiyar noted thiscorrectly,
15/01/2016 is also sasti thithi since in Margazhi month no Sasti thit suklapaksha comes.
The later is mingled with Thai jmatha priappu mahara ravi sankramanam so it it taken as
sonya thithi. so Dhanur matha sukla sasti thithi srartham is to be followed on 1612/2015 only.
Kinsly beloeve in ahathu vathiyar. they did not guide youin a wrong waqy. HAVE IATH ON THEM
iF HE ASK HIM ALSO he will charify these things easily. DHARMASASTRAM IS A HUGE IN THAT SRARTH A KANDAM
IS ALSO A BIG ONE THERE ARE SO MANYTHINGS TO BE CONSIDERED IN THIS SITUATION

Rajappa Namakkal

Respected Sri. Rajappa nkl, Thanks for your advice and as rightly said by you, I always follow the advices and guidances given by our family Vadhyar. I posted this thread absolutely not with any bad intentions to cast doubt on what my family Vadhyar had said. Out of my curiosity to know, as how a different date is also marked as the shradha tithi for Suklapaksha Shashti in yet another web site, I referred the matter only to clear my curiosity, with the views from experts in this august forum. Your explanation is very informative and most relevant that did serve the answer to my curiosity. Namaskarams

Respected Sri. Rajappa nkl,
Thanks for your advice and as rightly pointed out by you, I always follow the advices and guidances given by our family Vadhyar. I posted this thread absolutely not to verify or confirm on what my family Vadhyar had said but only out of curiosity to know, as how a different date (15.01.2016) is also marked as the shradha tithi for Suklapaksha Shashti in yet another web site, I referred the matter to have the the views from experts in this august forum. Your explanation is very informative solved my curiosity. Namaskarams

I too referred to the site given by Sri. Hariharan and the date is given wrong!

Proves that human mind is a better calculator than Computer Ji's programs! :)

Well said Raji Ram ji.
Yes, that´s it. Human mind was the only method to calculate various dates for rituals and ceremonies from time immemorial prior to use of modern technology to which everything is now linked to. Our family Vadhyar used to refer Sreerangam panchangam book as well as ¨pAmbu-panchangam¨ for marking ritual dates, of course with thorough knowledge with practice, as how to read a panchangam. Never they had went wrong in their prediction of dates.
In the modern time, when many web sites re available to refer and find the date of a particular ritual like shradham tithi, for those who do not have access to a family Vadhyar, they stand misguided with a wrong prediction of date and committed to do the ritual on a wrong day. Some learned pandits who undertake to perform the shradham for a person who request the vadhyar to come on that wrongly predicted date, may correctly guide that person, if correct thithi follows the wrong thithi date. But if the correct thithi precedes, and that date is already passed, by the time that person approaches the local vadhyar, the situation is unhappy. The next option is to perform the shradham on the Mahalaya thiti only. So it is advisable to find the date of the shradha thiti well in advance, say
2-3months in advance, so that the local vadhyar can guide you correctly.

.......... Our family Vadhyar used to refer Sreerangam panchangam book as well as ¨pAmbu-panchangam¨ for marking ritual dates, of course with thorough knowledge with practice, as how to read a panchangam. .........
Dear Sir,

In pAmbu panchAngam there is a column for '
சிராத்த திதி' and most of our vAdhyArs follow that date.

If we know the month and thithi (Sukla / Krishna paksham) we can find the date easily.

MR HARIHARAN

It is not so fdifficu;t tp fomd pit tje ssrasrtja thithi. Mostly we are following vakkiya panchangam. Sreerangam panchangam and no.28 Pambu panchangam asre vakkiya panchangam,. In that they mention on against each date the srartha thithi. so we can easily find out the the reqiured thithi. a little knowledge is enough the moth and the paksha wheter it is sukla paksha or krishna paksha. the pandits while prepareing panchangam have take other things in \determining the srartha thithi.

IN a month if a thithi comes twice then the last one has to be taken. If the last thithi falls on Ammavasai or madhapriappu i.e sanramanam then the first one has to be taken.

In a month if no thithi cocmes then then we have to take the forthcoming thithi defenetly it will be onthe 1st or 2nd day of the forthcoming m0onth or
withing last two days of the last month. defenetly onle of the thithi falls or madaprappu date the other will be taken In your case the thimth comins in the thai month fallls on the Utharayana date i.e sankramanam so the thith of the last month has taken to perform the srasrtham.

To know more about thing you can have clarification in Vaidyanatha deekshithmam Ssrasrtha kandam which is publied by Kanchi mut. there are sen\ven books regasrding dharmasasstram as SMRITHI M MUKTHA PALAM. yhid book gives all details reargin all dharmasastram only we have to read this fully.

Rajappa Nmakkal

Dear hariharan

It is not a big problem in determini ng the srartha thithi. In both panchangam i.e Sreerangam panchangam and no.28 Pambu panchangam against each day they have
seperately mention ssrarstha thithi. That we can take for doing srartham. Our house vadhiyar also know about this.

The basic thing on which date in the aparahna kalam thithi exist that date is taken as srartha thithi. i.e in a date the morning upto 11.00 a.m Pradama is there and then Dwedeya comes and dwediya will be prolonged tonext day upto 10.30 a.m. In this case the Dweedya thithi srartham to be perfomed on the previous day only.

if in both days in noon time the thithi remains on which date longer time the thithi remains in the afternoon then that days is taken srsarthda thithi date.

In a month if a thithi comes twice then the 2nd one is taken as ssrarstha thithi subject to that both the thithi is not mingled with amavasya or madhaprappu
i.e mingled with vsu, ayana,vishnupathi sadaseethi. If a thithi exist on the above refered dates then the thithi without mingled with these to be taken as
srartha thithi.

If in a month no srartha thithi comes then the forthcoming month thithi has to be taken as srartha thithi provide that also not mingled with dharsam and
sankramanam as refered above. If that thithi migled with these then the previous month thithi on that paksha has to be taken as srartha thithi.
this is what dharasastram Vaidyanatha deekshitam tells.

In your case the day as refered by you in tamil month Thai is mingled with Utharayana punyakalam. so the thithi comes in the month of Kaarthiga has to
be taken for performing srartha. In case if the tithi comes in thai is not mingled with dharsam or sankramanam the thai mont thithi has to be taken.

If you want to knowmore details in this regasrd you can get this details in THITHI NIRNAYA KANDAM AND SRARTHA KANDAM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back