• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

South Indian Firewalking Rituals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namaskaram,

I am interested in learning about the South Indian firewalking (Thimithi) ritual. For the past five years I have been researching firewalking amongst the Tamil community living in Fiji.

I would like to understand the mantras which are recited. Does anybody know which scriptural text is the authoritative text used? I think it may be called the "Gini Keliye Vaga", however this is based upon anecdotal evidence.

If anyone has any knowledge of firewalking practices in India, any knowledge of the texts used or can suggest some further reading I would be grateful.

Many thanks

Jonathon Prasad

Department of Religious Studies
Lancaster University
Lancaster
LA1 4YG
UK

dear jonathon,

welcome to the forum.

to the best of my knowledge, firewalking is a form of penance, done at the time of the thaipusam festival. again, afaik it is a pure tamil tradition praise for lord muruga.

i hope your query finds some answers here, as so far i have not heard it discussed here. you can see through the various topics here, that people are more into thinking than performing. this i mean it in a neutral sense, and i wish you the best in your search here.

we have a member renuka karthikeyan, who is from malaysia. close to Kuala Lumpur, there is a murugan temple in the batu caves, where annually i believe also fire walking is done.

having brought up in madras, now known as chennai, i have not seen firewalking, atleast in my neighbourhood, close to the kapali temple.

best wishes again.

dear jonathon,

welcome to the forum.

to the best of my knowledge, firewalking is a form of penance, done at the time of the thaipusam festival. again, afaik it is a pure tamil tradition praise for lord muruga.

i hope your query finds some answers here, as so far i have not heard it discussed here. you can see through the various topics here, that people are more into thinking than performing. this i mean it in a neutral sense, and i wish you the best in your search here.

we have a member renuka karthikeyan, who is from malaysia. close to Kuala Lumpur, there is a murugan temple in the batu caves, where annually i believe also fire walking is done.

having brought up in madras, now known as chennai, i have not seen firewalking, atleast in my neighbourhood, close to the kapali temple.

best wishes again.

Kunjs,

In Malaysia fire walking is also practised by the Chinese community for their Nine Emperor God festival so its not a purely Tamil Tradition.
take a look..

YouTube - ‪Nine Emperor Gods Fire Walking @ Tow Boh Keong (Temple) Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia‬‏

Fire-walking is practised in some temples of Kerala also. It is a form of showing one's extreme devotion to the deity of one's choice or ishTa devatha.

The person who performs the fire-walking normally strict austerities for a period of 41 days (called one maNDalam in Malayalam), avoids non-vegetarian food, alcohol, sex, etc. and performs pooja thrice daily - morning, noon and evening. I have not heard of any special mantrams in this regard, but individual performers may have some secret mantra/s given by their Guru.

Fire walking

Shraddha or faith or devotion is some thing but demonstration of these will lead people astray. In Maharashtra there is a man who crusades against superstition, demonstrated how ordinary people can perform the fire walking just drenching the feet fully in salt-concentrated water.

Thank you for all of your replies to my question. Fiji presents an interesting case-study in that there is an indigenous form of firewalking practiced by the ethnic Fijian community (who walk of glowing red / white hot stones). This contrasts with the Indo-Fijian form, where one walks on hot coals. An interesting comparison is the preparatory rituals. For the Fijians this is an abstention from consuming coconut and also from physical intimacy with a female partner. For the Indians, the taboos are much as outlined by Sarma-61. The intention is to move towards enhanced purification, and so includes a vegetarian diet, sleeping on a simple mattress on the floor (this may also be a simple-straw bed). Devotees should also avoid physical intimacy with their partners, and also avoid intoxicants - such as tobacco, Kava (the root of the Piper methysticum plant) and alcohol.

Shraddha or faith or devotion is some thing but demonstration of these will lead people astray. In Maharashtra there is a man who crusades against superstition, demonstrated how ordinary people can perform the fire walking just drenching the feet fully in salt-concentrated water.

Oh Fire Walking? it comes naturally for some of us - we have walked to school barefoot for many years!

There is something to be said for the 'hardening-skin-on-the-soles-of-the-feet-through-walking-barefoot' school of thought, however some temples in Fiji also practice knife dancing, in which a devotee will walk across or jump on a row of knives in arranged in a wooden block, blade=side up and also the retrieval of 'gulgulas' from a pan of boiling hot ghee using bare hands. The latter is perhaps more difficult to explain. I have heard it said that a special gel can be applied to the hands which prevents burning (similar to the type used in Hollywood for special effects), however I haven't seen any evidence of this being used let alone the question of how it could be sourced in Fiji.

Any thoughts?

There is something to be said for the 'hardening-skin-on-the-soles-of-the-feet-through-walking-barefoot' school of thought, however some temples in Fiji also practice knife dancing, in which a devotee will walk across or jump on a row of knives in arranged in a wooden block, blade=side up and also the retrieval of 'gulgulas' from a pan of boiling hot ghee using bare hands. The latter is perhaps more difficult to explain. I have heard it said that a special gel can be applied to the hands which prevents burning (similar to the type used in Hollywood for special effects), however I haven't seen any evidence of this being used let alone the question of how it could be sourced in Fiji.

Any thoughts?

Those days we didn't have well laid roads, while going to school!

Sri ShivKC,

Yes, I have witnessed the fire-walking many times before Mariamman temple.
Men and women bathe , wear yellow clothes and walk through the fire. I have
seen their feet and there is no trace of any burn ! Many have crossed the
burning fire slowly and smilingly. I really do not know how, but there it is.

Sri ShivKC,

i do

My memory goes back to approximately 20 years or so in my grand father's village in the south.
When I would go to this village during my vacations, I recall the 'Theemidhi' festivals (firewalk) offered to
Mariamman or Kali deities. The festival ran into several days (may be 15 to 18 days) each night representing
different form of worship or festival such as chariott procession or Kavadi (devotees going around the temple premises
with offerings on their head and shoulders). The festival culminated with Theemidhi (Thee=fire;midhi=walk). I can very
clearly remember the glowing fire on which both men and women in saffron clothes and offerings on their heads (usually
milk pots) walked (15 to 20' length of fire bed) with reverence. The slower they would walk meant the extent of their
devotion!! Much to the dislikes of my family, I gathered the strength to dash through the fire and it was so quick, although I had some burns I dont recall being severely burnt!! I wish I had tried it a few more times, I could have
qualified for the Olympic 100 meter dash!! I am not sure if the festival or practice is still in vogue.

Dear friends,

We have two temples situated at our village Anaimalai, near Pollachi in Coimbatore district and both temples have

'theemidhi' which devotees actually say as 'poomidhi'. One of the temples has the deity MAsANi amman and has

now become more popular than the other temple for Draupathi amman.

You can google search for the story of MAsANi amman. I am copy pasting the pictures of the temple and amman.

The story is too long to post!

Raji Ram
:ranger:

8.jpg

pict2032.jpg

Sri ShivKC,

Simple..God confers protection unto those who have taken refuge in Him(even if its just for a day as in Firewalking)

When its Chandrashekaramashraye Mama Kim Karishyati Vai Yamaha I wonder why anyone is even suprised about Fire Walking.

It may be argued that purification and rebirth form the key components of the firewalk. Once one has been purified, one is thus able to accept the protection of Draupadi as one crosses the coals. The successful crossing of the coals represents a physical and spiritual rebirth as one has been cleansed of ones sins. From my observations, it seems that during the 11 days the firewalkers spend in the temple, they slowly undergo a process of purification. I have identified several processes, which lead to their purification:Prior to entering the temple:Some of the firewalkers begin their preparations six weeks or more before they enter the temple, whilst others may begin them a few days before. The preparations include:1. dietary change - removing meat products from their diet (though not milk products). Thereby beginning the internal cleansing process and and also beginning to balance the gunas (humors)2. Abstinence - prospective firewalkers sleep separately from their wives. Usually on a thin mat or upon straw on the floor. this begins the transformation from existence in the material world to the life of an ascetic in the spiritual world.3. Abstinence from intoxicants - tobacco, alcohol, non-prescription drugs, kava etc.At the temple:4. The tying of the Kangam on the wrist of the devotees. This is made of turmeric, and as is well known, turmeric acts to purify. It is also a constant reminder of the vow that has been taken. During the tying of the kangam, a mantra is recited, during which the devotee acknowledges the change in his status to that of an initiate.5. Divesting oneself of 'worldly clothings'. The normal clothes belong to the material world, in which the ego is all-powerful. By removing these clothes, one symbolically rejects the material world of fashion and 'appearance', which act to provide a division between people. These clothes are replaced by the simple saffron t-shirt and vaeshti (dhoti or sulu). These confirm the fraternal-bond of the firewalkers, or as they are now known Kangam Bhais. By wearing simple clothes, it is hoped that the ego will diminish and the fraternal bond and sense of common-identity will increase.6. The kangan bhais bathe twice-daily, though they are not supposed to use soaps, scents or oils. There are also two periods of ritual bathing when they march down to the sea, bathe, and then return to the temple as part of a processing. this procession is led by the Shakti kargam and the supram with the deity Mariamman or Draupadi.7.During the puja, the mantras act to purify the mind, and begin the process of mental preparedness to cross the coals. 8. Many of the items used in the puja also act to purify - incense purifies the air, turmeric is applied as a tikka, agni is ever-present in the form of the Hawan. The Hawan continually burns for the duration of the puja, and it is this fire which is transferred to the firewalking pit (gundam).9. ritual whipping is performed during the 11 day period. This acts to focus the mind, but also to cleanse the body of any evil spirits, which have attached themselves to the body.10. The use of limes and neem leaves also protect and purify. These are liberally used during the process. The temple is lined around its circumference with neem leaves. Certain parts of the temple have double or triple layers in order to ensure that ‘evil-spirits’ cannot disrupt the process.11. When the gundam (firepit) is prepared, it is smeared with cow-dung in order to purify it, further a form of mandala is drawn onto the gundam surface. As the pujari draws it, he recites a mantra.12. On the day of the firewalk, the Kangan Bhais bathe in dry turmeric, following their normal water bath.13. the act of crossing the coals are the final major act of purity.This is a significantly abridged list of the various stages of purification (which is not in chronological order). If anyone wants a complete list, please feel free to email me. I am currently trying to locate a copy of the Gini Keliye Vaga, which I understand is the procedure followed during the firewalk process. Once I have a copy I plan to translate it… any help would be appreciated!

It may be argued that purification and rebirth form the key components of the firewalk. Once one has been purified, one is thus able to accept the protection of Draupadi / Mariamman as one crosses the coals. The successful crossing of the coals represents a physical and spiritual rebirth as one has been cleansed of ones sins.

From my observations, it seems that during the 11 days the firewalkers spend in the temple, they slowly undergo a process of purification. I have identified several processes, which lead to their purification:

Prior to entering the temple:

Some of the firewalkers begin their preparations six weeks or more before they enter the temple, whilst others may begin them a few days before. The preparations include:

1. dietary change - removing meat products from their diet (though not milk products). Thereby beginning the internal cleansing process and and also beginning to balance the gunas (humors)
2. Abstinence - prospective firewalkers sleep separately from their wives. Usually on a thin mat or upon straw on the floor. this begins the transformation from existence in the material world to the life of an ascetic in the spiritual world.
3. Abstinence from intoxicants - tobacco, alcohol, non-prescription drugs, kava etc.

At the temple:

4. The tying of the Kangam (Kapu) on the wrist of the devotees. This is made of turmeric, and as is well known, turmeric acts to purify. It is also a constant reminder of the vow that has been taken. During the tying of the Kangam, a mantra is recited, during which the devotee acknowledges the change in his status to that of an initiate.
5. Divesting oneself of 'worldly clothings'. The normal clothes belong to the material world, in which the ego is all-powerful. By removing these clothes, one symbolically rejects the material world of fashion and 'appearance', which act to provide a division between people. These clothes are replaced by the simple saffron t-shirt and vaeshti (dhoti or sulu). These confirm the fraternal-bond of the firewalkers, or as they are now known Kangam Bhais. By wearing simple clothes, it is hoped that the ego will diminish and the fraternal bond and sense of common-identity will increase.
6. The kangan bhais bathe twice-daily, though they are not supposed to use soaps, scents or oils. There are also two periods of ritual bathing when they march down to the sea, bathe, and then return to the temple as part of a processing. this procession is led by the Shakti kargam and the supram with the deity Mariamman or Draupadi.
7.During the puja, the mantras act to purify the mind, and begin the process of mental preparedness to cross the coals.
8. Many of the items used in the puja also act to purify - incense purifies the air, turmeric is applied as a tikka, agni is ever-present in the form of the Hawan. The Hawan continually burns for the duration of the puja, and it is this fire which is transferred to the firewalking pit (gundam).
9. ritual whipping is performed during the 11 day period. This acts to focus the mind, but also to cleanse the body of any evil spirits, which have attached themselves to the body.
10. The use of limes and neem leaves also protect and purify. These are liberally used during the process. The temple is lined around its circumference with neem leaves. Certain parts of the temple have double or triple layers in order to ensure that ‘evil-spirits’ cannot disrupt the process.
11. When the gundam (firepit) is prepared, it is smeared with cow-dung in order to purify it, further a form of mandala is drawn onto the gundam surface. As the pujari draws it, he recites a mantra.
12. On the day of the firewalk, the Kangan Bhais bathe in dry turmeric, following their normal water bath.
13. the act of crossing the coals are the final major act of purity.

This is a significantly abridged list of the various stages of purification (which is not in chronological order). If anyone wants a complete list, please feel free to email me. I am currently trying to locate a copy of the Gini Keliye Vaga, which I understand is the procedure followed during the firewalk process. Once I have a copy I plan to translate it… any help would be appreciated!

Another important aspect of the ritual is the Supram procession, which is central for the purification of the temple space, but also the route travelled between the temple and the sea (in order to prepare the shakti kargam).

Renukaji,

I have seen that their total concentration is on fire-walking with pure devotion in their hearts.
They told me that if you have faith, the elements will not harm you. Highly philosophical !

Renukaji,

I have seen that their total concentration is on fire-walking with pure devotion in their hearts.
They told me that if you have faith, the elements will not harm you. Highly philosophical !

Dear Ranganathan ji,

I know of a very very very close relative of mine who was agnostic types in his younger days but still decided to take Kavadi for Thaipusam to see if he will feel pain and disprove the whole idea of God(this happened when he was 16 years of age)
He was set to prove that he wont get the Arul.So the priest could not get him into Arul too and every attempt to pierce his cheeks were painful till the priest got kind of fed up and told this relative of mine that "you must be holding back something in your mind"

At that time this relative's father started feeling bad and cried that his son could not get the Arul and was pleading to Lord Muruga to allow Arul.
So Mr Agnostic felt bad for his dad crying and told to Lord Muruga in his heart .."I consent for the Arul" and the next moment he felt a light current running through him and the priest pierced his cheeks and there was no pain nor bleeding and Kavadi was taken.

This is a true story cos the very very close relative I mentioned about is my father.He is not agnostic anymore.

Last edited:
Thank you Renukaji. It is interesting to read your piece of information. There is some super
power - call it by name you like - which guides all of us. We must realise this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back