• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sumangali prarthanai

• Thread starter Thread starter sugavanamgirija
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sugavanamgirija

I understand that Sumangali prarthanai (SP ) cannot be performed more than once in a year in a family. Is it correct ?

I and my brothers live in different cities and it becomes difficult to find a convenient date for all to join in one place to perform SP. At the same time, SP is due in all the brothers' families for one reason or another.

Can we perform SP at our respective places separately within a year ?

I would be grateful if I am enlightened on this.

Dear Sir/ Madam

Family tradition plays an important part in doing this ritual; In our family we were doing it together since all of our brothers and sisters were in the same city; nowadays we do Sumangali prarthanai separately as and when the occasion demands irrespective of joining together. Doing it together is no more possible because we are scattered and live in different locations.

However this decision to do it separately is to be taken only after consulting elders/ other family members- in your family.

Last edited:
you can perform in your place sumangali praarthana. before 14th april. that is in jaya varusham. other brother can do in manmatha year that is next year. after 14th April. Regarding Sumangali Praarthana it is enough if one brother does it in his place. It is covering the whole family for one year. There is no rule that all brothers must join together to do SP.

சுமங்கலி பிரார்த்தனை ஒரு குடும்பத்தில் ஒரு வருஷத்திற்க்கு ஒரு முறை தான் செய்யவேண்டும்.ஒரு விசேஷம் வரும் முன்பாக செய்யவேண்டும்.ஒரு வருடத்திற்குள் 2 முறை விசேஷம் வந்தால் 2 முறை செய்ய வேண்டிய அவசியம் இல்லை. சகோதரர்கள் தனியாக இருந்தால் தனியாக செய்யவேண்டும். செவ்வாய்,சனி,ஏகாதசி ,சஷ்டி, அமாவாசை,பௌர்ணமி, அஷ்டமி , நவமி ஆகிய நாட்களில் செய்ய கூடாது.

Dear sir / Madam , we r 3 bros and 1 sister. unfortunately my sister was a widow by 2005.Due to this, from then we couldn't perform s.p...some relatives said there is no chance for us to perform this ritual near future. what is the solution.?" pl. clarify

Dear sir / Madam , we r 3 bros and 1 sister. unfortunately my sister was a widow by 2005.Due to this, from then we couldn't perform s.p...some relatives said there is no chance for us to perform this ritual near future. what is the solution.?" pl. clarify
As far as I know, the married daughters of the brothers are considered as 'aaththup poNNu'. Since the karthA is the senior

daugher in law in your family, the wife of the eldest brother can do the S P. Your sister's married daughter can also join.

Please click on the following link and read the web page for more details:

Sumangali Prarthanai

My paternal grandmother died as a sumangali and hence S P was performed the day after her annual ceremony, every year.

Dad had only brothers and so my mom used to invite friend mAmis and one of us in sibling sisters / cousin sisters, who was

in the eligible age (below 10 years) would be the 'kanyA poNNu'. My mom and chithis used to serve the food as 'nAttu poNNu-s'.

This went on till we sisters got married and got the status to sit as 'aaththup poNNu'. :)

Some families perform S P only before some special occasions like upanayanam / wedding / 60th or 80th birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back