• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tharpana Manthras with summary meaning -

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramachander
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ramachander

My dear friends,
All Brahmins should attach great importance in giving oblations to the manes(Pithrus) . These are to be given 96 times in a year , which include Tharpanas which are to be done during Amavasya Thidhi, the first day of every month, the lunar and solar eclipses , all the days of the Malaya Paksha, the first day of Dakshinayana and Utharayana and so on. Depending on the Vedas we follow as well as the Acharyas of Sutra that we follow and also depending on the family traditions these manthras change .Normally a Tharpanam(ritual to satisfy) is done by all Brahmins who have lost their father . It is done addressed to our direct ancestors on the paternal side as well as the maternal side ie addressed to father-mother , paternal grand father –grand mother , paternal great grand father and great grand mother on the paternal side and maternal grand father and grand mother, maternal great grand father and great grand mother and maternal great great grand father and great great grand mother on the maternal side. If our mother is alive , then the tharpanam is to be done to the great great paternal grand mother and similarly if the maternal grand parents are alive, we have to our tharpanam to one more back generation. It is a normal practice to offer Tharpanam after chanting a suitable Rik(Vedic manthra) to the male ancestors and without Rik to the female ancestors . In some families Rik is not chanted at all. I have compiled the Tharpana manthras with procedure for Iyers(Apasthambha and Bodhayana Suthras) and for Iyengars . in english . These are given as indicated below
1Apasthamba Sutra tharpanam (iyers)
Rules and Rituals of Brahmins: Tharpana manthras-iyers
2.Bodhayana Suthra Tharpanam (Iyers)
Rules and Rituals of Brahmins: Bodhayana Darsa Tharpana mantras
3.Apasthamba Suthra tharpanam (Iyengars-both then Kalai/Vada Kalai)
Rules and Rituals of Brahmins: Thaprapana Manthras-Iyengars
I have also tried to give the summary meaning of those manthras. Hope it would be useful to some of you, As and when I get the rig Vedi and Sama Vedi tharpanams , I would also upload them. Ramachander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back