• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The significance of offering food to God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Hinduism, food plays an important role in rituals and worship, and the food offered to the gods is called prasada. The Sanskrit word "prasada" means "mercy," or the divine grace of God.

We can make the preparing of food, the offering of food to God, and the eating of the food offered, into a powerful devotional meditation. If, as a meditative discipline, we can offer our food to God with devotion before eating it, not only are we not implicated in the karma involved in acquiring the food, but we can actually make spiritual progress by eating the offered food. Our devotion, and God's grace, subtly transforms the food offered from material nutrition to spiritual mercy or prasada.

Bhagavas Gita, Chapter 9, Verse 26:

'patram puspam phalam toyam
yo me bhaktya prayacchati
tad aham bhakty upahrtam
asnami prayatatmanah'

'If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, a fruit or water, I will accept it.'

Ramanuja's Commentary

Whoever offers the Supreme Lord Krishna even the most easily obtainable articles such as a flower, a fruit, some water or even a leaf, He will accept if the are offered with bhakti or exclusive loving devotion. Lord Krishna's devotee love Him so ardently and enthusiastically that without dedicating all they have for His acceptance the devotee finds themselves unable to tolerate their very existence and subsequently so impassioned do they feel this love that their very act of offering in devotion even a leaf has great merit in the fulfillment of their enthusiasm to please the Supreme Lord. The compound word prayatmatmanah means a devoted, pure minded and pure hearted being. Pure in mind, pure in heart consists of an attitude and mentality of dedicating everything they offer to the Supreme Lord exclusively with only motives of pure devotion and love which is the topmost ambition and goal of the spiritually enlightened. Thus such humble offerings as water or even a simple leaf are given with love by such persons.

Yuga Dharmam:

In earlier yugas there was the manifestation of Avataras and men could easily have direct worship of God. A handful of "poha" from Kuchela and a leave of Tulsi from Rukmani.were received in person in Dwabara Yuga.

(The story of Lord Krishna has it that when Krishna was weighed in gold, not even all the ornaments of Satyabhama could outweigh him. But a single tulsi leaf placed by Rukmani on the pan tilted the scale).

Lord Rama was worshipped by Sabari with fruits.

But These were in earlier yugas. In Kali Yuga in Bhakti Yoga, Pooja Vinadhanam prescripts Arghya, Archana, Naivedya etc.

Kannapa Nayanar took water in his mouth and raw flesh in hand to feed the God thinking that the God was in hunger and thirsty.

Mudha Bakti is one in which one thinks the god in the house should not be kept without naivedanam.

Mudha Bakti is one in which one thinks the god in the house requires warm cloths during winter.

Mudha Bakti is the most important qualification for bhakti Yoga.

Vaishnaya Tradition:

There is a custom in Vaishnaya households. For daily menu for the food, the husband tells his wife, "What food are you going to make to the God in the house?" 'பெருமாளுக்கு இன்று என்ன தளிகை (செய்யபோகிறாய்)?'.

That way one is thinking God has given mouth to sing God's fame. Eye is for to see His beauty in Archavatara swarupam. Ear is for to hear His some of His infinite attributes. Also taking food as his Prasada to live and thus to enjoy His prabhava throughout this life. Nothing separates us from God.

Food Prayer

Brahmarpanam Mantra

From Bhagavad Gita 4.24 and 15.14

Brahmaarpanam Brahma Havir
Brahmaagnau Brahmanaa Hutam
Brahmaiva Tena Gantavyam
Brahma Karma Samaadhinaha

[This is 24th verse from the 4th chapter of Bhagavad Geetha] The act of offering is Brahman. The offering itself is Brahman. The offering is done by Brahman in the sacred fire which is Brahman. He alone attains Brahman who, in all actions, is fully absorbed in Brahman. (As we chant this prayer we are offering the different types of food to Brahman).

Aham Vaishvaanaro Bhutva
Praaninaam Dehamaashritha
Praanaapaana Samaa Yuktaha
Pachaamyannam Chatur Vidam

[This is 14th verse from the 15th chapter of Bhagavad Geetha] This sloka is a sort of acknowledgement and assurance to us from Brahman. "I am Vaishnavara, existing as fire God in the bodies of living beings. Being associated with ingoing (prana) and outgoing (apaana) life breaths, I will digest all the four different types of food (that which we bite and chew; that which we masticate with the tongue; those which we gulp; that which we swallow) and purify them."

Thus by offering food to God and consuming as prasada after, confirm the food belongs to Him, Food is Him, He who gives food to us and we thank Him for all these actions!!

Prasada: Divine Food Offering to God
Bhagavad-Gita: Chapter 9, Verse 26
http://hinduonline.co/Scriptures/DharmaSastra/YugaDharma.html
The history of Kannappa Nayanar - Periyapuranam in English poetry
Bhakti
Practical Sanskrit: eat to live, not live to eat - ???????????? ?????? ????
PRAYER FOR FOOD- BRAHMARPANAM
yahoo answers

In Hinduism, food plays an important role in rituals and worship, and the food offered to the gods is called prasada. The Sanskrit word "prasada" means "mercy," or the divine grace of God.

Dear PJ sir,

As far as I know food offered to God is called Naivedyam and the act of offering is called Arpanam.

The Naivedhyam becomes Prasad after it has been offered to God and when the prayer is over..the Prasad then is distributed to devotees.

I think the article above was not very accurate in the definition.

Last edited:
What about the thousands of gallons of Milk, honey, Ghee that are offered and can be consumed (so consequently) and is wasted.
Vinobha Bave used to advice that instead of wasting valuable resources to the fire in havan, to save the same items for the poor, and make a symbolic offering.
It may not be "traditional" but is rational.

What about the thousands of gallons of Milk, honey, Ghee that are offered and can be consumed (so consequently) and is wasted.
Vinobha Bave used to advice that instead of wasting valuable resources to the fire in havan, to save the same items for the poor, and make a symbolic offering.

It may not be "traditional" but is rational.

This is called Abhishekam, and OP is not discussing this.

Dear PJ sir,

As far as I know food offered to God is called Naivedyam and the act of offering is called Arpanam.

The Naivedhyam becomes Prasad after it has been offered to God and when the prayer is over..the Prasad then is distributed to devotees.

I think the article above was not very accurate in the definition.

OP Is about offering Food to God, under whatever name you call it.It is about why we offer food to God ?

It is not discussing how Neivedyam becomes Prasadam , it is about significance of food offering to God

OP is about Why one should offer Neivedhyam ( offering food ) to God.

Last edited:
OP Is about offering Food to God, under whatever name you call it.It is about why we offer food to God ?

It is not discussing how Neivedyam becomes Prasadam , it is about significance of food offering to God

OP is about Why one should offer Neivedhyam ( offering food ) to God.

dear PJ sir,

The definition of Prasad in the OP is no accurate.

I know you contribute a lot to Forum but sometimes not all articles online are accurate.

So what is so wrong if some inaccuracies in the OP is pointed out for the benefit of all?

Well..never mind.

Last edited:
Dear P J Sir,

You have to accept good points given by other members, without defending the OP!

Hope you agree. :)

P.S: One mAmi used to tell us that if God starts consuming all the neivEdhyam, then many people will stop offering it! Howzzt?

This poem of Avvaiyaar reminds me of an 'exchange offer'! :)

”பாலும் தெளி தேனும் பாகும் பருப்பும் இவை
நாலும் கலந்துனக்கு நான் தருவேன் - கோலம் செய்
துங்கக் கரிமுகத்துத் தூமணியே நீ எனக்கு
சங்கத் தமிழ் மூன்றும் தா“

(Avvaiyaar offers a mixture made of milk, honey, sweet syrup and dhal to Lord Ganesha

and requests Him to grant her knowledge in the three branches of Sanga Tamizh.)

Dear P J Sir,

You have to accept good points given by other members, without defending the OP!

Hope you agree. :)

P.S: One mAmi used to tell us that if God starts consuming all the neivEdhyam, then many people will stop offering it! Howzzt?

Raji Madam

So this an issue for you and renukaji

OP is about why we offer Neivedyam, Not about what is Neivedyam.

that is why i have given the heading as

In another thread i will explain about Neivedyam

Last edited:
This poem of Avvaiyaar reminds me of an 'exchange offer'! :)

”பாலும் தெளி தேனும் பாகும் பருப்பும் இவை
நாலும் கலந்துனக்கு நான் தருவேன் - கோலம் செய்
துங்கக் கரிமுகத்துத் தூமணியே நீ எனக்கு
சங்கத் தமிழ் மூன்றும் தா“

(Avvaiyaar offers a mixture made of milk, honey, sweet syrup and dhal to Lord Ganesha

and requests Him to grant her knowledge in the three branches of Sanga Tamizh.)

I have many a time wondered about this piece credited to Avvaiyar. Why a saudha? Why this trading? It would have been nice if the offering part was is one kavithai and the asking part in another without a connect.

It is a tradition in Vaishnava literature that we offer what is most dear to us to God and offer what is most dear to a Guru to a Guru (Acharyan). Thus you will find people going to great length to find out what the Acharyan relishes most. This kavithai is nice when it offers பாலும் தெளிதெனும் பாகும் பருப்பும் to the god. They are things relished by human beings. In my humble opinion avvaiyar could have said "You have given me all the three sangaththamizh and i am grateful to you. With that Tamil I am offering you these four dishes. It would have made excellent sense.

Thirumangai Alwar tells the swan that he will offer it "பழனமீன் தின்னத்தருவேன்" . Here the Swan is the Acharyan who plays a role by going between the Jeevatma (நாயகி) and the paramatma (நாயகன்). So acharyan (Swan) is offered what he relishes most (the soft water fish) in this beautiful kavithai which is part of சிறிய திருமடல்.

In vaishnava tradition the process of offering food items to God is called "அமுது செய்யப்பண்ணுதல்", கண்டருளச்செய்தல்", "அமுது செய்வித்தல்" etc., The meaning is that the food items, once they are offered to the god, become completely sAtvic food and so amudhu and are good for the humans. While science believes and swears by visible and "made visible"(with apparatuses) interfaces, vaishnavas believe in invisible interfaces also. That is why this "making amudhu" out of ordinary food is a matter of belief for them.

The OP stresses the fact that the offering to God should be with bhakthi. And we know what bhakthi is as it is a bone of contention for the members here and it has been discussed several times-அடிச்சு, துவைச்சு, கஞ்சி போட்டு, பிழிஞ்சு, காயப்போட்டு, இஸ்திரி பண்ணி, மடிச்சு வச்ச ஒரு subject.

ladies are always offending PJ sir.

PJ sir will put them in their place,lol

Its takes a lot of undersea movement of the tectonic plates to produce a quake with a Ricther 10 to cause a Tsunami..it looks very calm before it strikes.

Right now is the period of calm.

Dear Vaagmi Sir,

I was just kidding when I wrote that the poem of Avvaiyaar reminds me of an exchange offer.

Actually, it is NOT. She has written what she will offer to Vinayaka and requests Him to grant her knowledge.

The word 'எனவே' /
அதனால் (therefore) is not in the poem. So, it is not an exchange! :)

Dear Vaagmi Sir,

I was just kidding when I wrote that the poem of Avvaiyaar reminds me of an exchange offer.

Actually, it is NOT. She has written what she will offer to Vinayaka and requests Him to grant her knowledge.

The word 'எனவே' /
அதனால் (therefore) is not in the poem. So, it is not an exchange! :)

No madam. The context and the way it is said " கலந்துனக்கு நான் தருவேன்" and "நீ எனக்குத்தா" makes it an exchange. May be Avvai was an evolved soul who had only love for God and did not bother about the niceties of language. "I am giving you what I have and please give me what I do not have" may be the vein.

There is an idiom 'Calm before the storm', Krish Sir! [/QUOTE

Is it?

let us see.

some muyals have three legs

members have the right to such an opinion which may not be correct

Others can also disagree and stick to it irrespective of their gender.

good wishes to both

Last edited:
There is an idiom 'Calm before the storm', Krish Sir! [/QUOTE

Is it?

let us see.

some muyals have three legs

members have the right to such an opinion which may not be correct

Others can also disagree and stick to it irrespective of their gender.

good wishes to both

Krish Sir

A separate thread about Neivedyam is already posted by me. Please Read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back