• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thirumangalyam for Shastibdapoorthi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is birthday celebrated as marriage anniversary?
Why is it only in south India?
What is significance of 60th birthday as opposed to 50th?

On the 60th Birthday, planets Saturn, Jupiter, Sun and Moon come to the same position , i.e. Jupiter after 5 cycles, Saturn 2 cycles. For every event in astrology, transit of Jupiter and Saturn are very important. Saturn, is for longevity. So, as a shanti, people perform Shastiabdhapoorti.

Why is birthday celebrated as marriage anniversary?
Why is it only in south India?
What is significance of 60th birthday as opposed to 50th?
Hi Prasad,

It is not celebrated as marriage anniversary! It is like a marriage itself now a days!

The MAngalya dhAraNam was added later on by people. Only shAnthi hOmams were performed for the good health

of the couple, on the husband completing his 60 years. Why 60 years? The Tamil calender has names for 60 years

which keep on repeating in cycles. So on the 61st year any person will have the same name of the Tamil year again.

(May be, it was considered as the start of the second childhood (??) and prayers were performed!)

The next 'marriage' is when the husband completes his 80 years; some people say 84 years. It is because a person

would have seen (supposed to?) 1000 'piRais' (crescent moon - third 'piRai') in his life and needs 'dhrushti

kazhiththal' and hence the hOmams.

I remember on joke here. An old man was sitting with an irritant face on his sathAbishEkam day! When asked the

reason, he replied, "Hey guys! When you performed the 'arubathAm kalyANam' I thought I will get a new wife. But

the same oldie sat near me! Now, again you say 'embathAm kalyANam' and the SAME OLD LADY comes as my

BRIDE! Enna kodumaidA idhu?"

:pound:

The ladies completing their 60 and 80 years of age go unnoticed! But a few of them go the Thirukkadavoor

and pray to Goddess AbhirAmi for their welfare. :pray:

We should remember, this is a male dominated society and now a days, young girls are 'turning the table'!

The ladies completing their 60 and 80 years of age go unnoticed! But a few of them go the Thirukkadavoor

and pray to Goddess AbhirAmi for their welfare. :pray:

We should remember, this is a male dominated society and now a days, young girls are 'turning the table'!

Thanks for the Pm.
I suspected as much, thanks for the info. So it an aberration perpetuated.

I read somewhere before that its a to celebrate the beginning for the man to commence his Vanaprashta lifestyle.
Dont know if its true what I read.

Yes, I too have read that this is before vanaprastam. We should get over family bondage. It means that one should start performing more poojas and worship temples without involving themselves in the family activities. This is the time they can promote sense of spitituality among the next generation and the poojas these elders perform is for their next generation. Their sons and daughters-in-law will be busy in their routine of office, kids, etc. and these elders are supposed to do poojas for which grandchildren or son/d-in-law would help.
So thirumangalyam is not compulsory. Mainly Shastiabdhapoorty is like a Shanti giving danams, Rudra Ekadasi and homam for healthy life. Only with the help of the husband a lady can undertake pilgrimage so confidently. Husband is no parallel and hence his long life is more important than herself. Then if possible, women's sixty years can also be celebrated. There is absolutely no harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back