• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Upanayanam recently conducted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pranams

Pranams

My name is srinivasan. With the blessings of acharya and kuladeivam blessing upanayanam was completed for my son. This forum has given so much to me in
various situations in the past, and i wanted to share additional detail which
may be reverence to someone. Purpose is only to share the information and
please don't think otherwise

It was little elobarte as we could offord it.My son has just begun 9th
year. I do not have both parents.

Preparations to upanayanam
==========================
=>vigneswara archanai
=>Made a trip to kanchi mutt (They give you a nice book on upanayanam
both tamil and english)
=>Read 40 samskaras by somadeva sharma

Upanayanam period
==================
=>Sumangali prathanai
=>Samarathanai
=>Nandhi srartham. I was told nandhi srartham is more appropriate for
upanayanam
=>Poorvangam, Angrurarpanam,Rakshabandan on previous day
=>My kid was born outside of india, although we did punyahavachanam and
annaprasanam while were outside of india. We did jathakarma,
namakaranam,annaprachanam on the upanayam on the same day
=>On that day as usual chowlam,kumara boojanam (we did invited kids from
patasala),Upanayanam homam etc
=>4th day sthandilam (thanduneer)

If someone need information or any details you may ask for detail.

I'm very much a novice compare to experts here.

Srinivasan

As preparatory one of my friend told me about this. Frequent visits to sankara madam gosalai and offer fruits/vegetables to cow. (purpose:vishwamitra/kamadhenu). Performed kushmandam in the beginning

some more info if it helps someone.
Normally nandhi srartham was conducted after udhaga santhi and angrurapanam. we earlier planned it previous day before brahmopadesam. Nandhi i was told (checked with VG subramani iyer and kasi ganapadigal and couple of others) should be done only with closely nitted gothra person. so we had changed in 2 days before the poonal. so we ended up doing udhagasanthi next day after nandhi. We wanted to do nandhi with utmost self-awarness so we had changed it.

and also at times i see angrarpanam (paligam) is performed as more of ladies in function. It has much reverence to vaidhigam than the laukikam aspect as it invites all 5 devathas. and also oushathi sukhtam is recited. even in my family i see pali will be submerged after the next day of marriage or function. In my case, as we were planning for thanduneer on the 4th day, we bought it home and did daily naivethyam

These are the things you can plan ahead of time
-evai for nanthi. nowadays you get this in most of west mambalam shop
-moungi. we ended up inquiring lot of sastrigal in and around chennai. probably some agni hotri will have it.
-palasa thandam . easily available. i could not locate palasa maram so ended up offering poonal,krishnajinam and moungi on alamaram
-vadasery veshti's are good if you can afford

When it comes to nandhi.. no one book is enough. 40 samskaras have only little info. i think you would be better of inquiring with multiple knowledgeable sastrigal as there is so much information when it comes to performing and also for boojanam.

thought this info is uselful for someone

Gopalan sir and other knowledeable person can describe it more. Upanayanam is not a simple affair if it is done in the right way. I'm not even sure my son will do sandhyavandhanam regularly. Its been 5 days and i have been sitting with him in morning and eve for sandhyavandanam and samitha dhanam. Purohit comes either morning or evening.

Nandhi srartham need learned purohits and need person who performs anushtanam regularly. They cannot goto other rituals for 3-4 days i was told. all purohits who had come to nandhi came in for udhagasanthi and upanayanam. They have to do their prayachitam or whatever it is, so they have to be treated and paid well for attending nandhi sratham if you need good purohits. That is my experience

hi this is srinivasan venkatraman from dubai. congrats to ur son for upanayanam. we had plans to conduct upanayanam for my sons in august but they say that dates are not convincing so only in 2014 its possible. what might be the reason?
thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back