• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What Agama is for Smarthas?

I read an enthralling thread in this
1718531225165.png

where at the end someone mentioned that Smarthas are not permitted to work in Saiva temples governed by Gurukkal and Smartas are not permitted to work at Vainava temples governed by Bhattargal.

Before I start ( I am Krishna Yajurveda Iyer Apastamba Sampradaya (Smartha, guru at Sringeri, ( between Krishna, Godavari region (original village somewhere near tirupati) ( ( Telugu ))) But family settled in Tamilnadu generations ago ( I speak both languages )))(follow quite a bit Tamil customs and almost half the family is Tamil Iyer)

Where I live, we have two main temples ( NOT IN INDIA) . One is an up and coming Perumal temple ( Venkatachalapathy) but following pancharatra Agama. and the other is a Siva temples ( Nataraja ) following Saiva Agama, but does have perumal shrine. I understand that Nataraja is venerated by Dikshitars ( Those who only only worship Siva pantheon )). So as Smarthas, we worship and go to both but, what is our Agama?

Saiva will declare Siva as supreme and reject Panchayatana Puja, Vainava will declare Vishnu as supreme and reject Panchayatana Puja. Panchayatana Puja insists on the acceptance of the superiority of any of them, but the constant practices of applying Vibuthi for Iyers have coerced them into thinking they Prioritise Shiva, which is wrong, as stated, almost everywhere. ( The symbolism of the three stranded Patta, the three stringed Poonal ( brahmachari), Sandhyavandanam )

So what is a functioning Smarta Temple? In Tamilnadu there are many with Perumal and Rudra shines but ALWAYS Shiva Moolamurti, suggesting Saiva Agama. So as a Smartha, will there be a possibility of a Smartha Temple, with a distinct Agama? I guess it will change as the Moolamurti of a temple will change. But any Smartha Temples with Vishnu as Moolamurti (Main Deity) ?. If so, will still Vaikhanasa or Pancharatra be used? will Saiva be used? Or will a SMARTHA AGAMA be used?

Latest ads

Back