• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Which script is most commonly used in Tamil Nadu to write Sanskrit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanakkam/Namaskaaram!

I have a question in regards to Sanskrit in Tamil Nadu. I have many Sanskrit books from Tamil Nadu, some in Tamil script only with or without the phonetic symbols to help with proper Sanskrit pronunciation, some in Devanagari and some in both Devanagari and Tamil scripts as well as a few in Grantha lipi and one book in Tamil-Grantha lipi and am wondering which script is most commonly used in Tamil Nadu to write Sanskrit? Is it the Tamil script? The Devanagari script? Or are both Devanagari and Tamil scripts both used equally as much. :noidea: I do know that in Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Singapore, the Tamil script and the Grantha script are used for Sanskrit.

I had followed earlier discussions about the Tamil Grantha script and agree that it would be great if either the Grantha script or an extended Tamil script with Grantha letters added for all Sanskrit sounds otherwise not found in the Tamil script was adopted to write down Sanskrit slokas.

I can read both Tamil script and Grantha script fluently and am comfortable reading in Sanskrit with those scripts. I can also read Devanagari script, but prefer Tamil/Tamil-Grantha script, Grantha script and English script (IAST) more. :)

ஸம்ஸ்கிருதத்தில் நாகர எழுத்தே அதிகம் தமிழ் நாட்டில் பழக்கத்தில் உள்ளது.

ஸம்ஸ்கிருதத்தில் நாகர எழுத்தே அதிகம் தமிழ் நாட்டில் பழக்கத்தில் உள்ளது.

Sorry. I don't understand fully what you just said. Please can you repeat that again in English? Thank you.

Just this morning, I spoke to one person from Giri Trading in regards to an e-mail I had sent him asking him about the letters, ஶ், ஶ, ஶா, ஶி, ஶீ, ஶு, ஶூ, ஶ்ரு', ஶே, ஶை, ஶோ, ஶௌ and ஶ: which were, and are still used in some publications from Tamil Nadu for the Sanskrit sounds, ś, śa, śā, śi, śī, śu, śū, śṛ, śe, śai, śo, śau and śaḥ.

I had pointed out that in older prints of their publications in Sanskrit with the Tamil script, they had used the above Grantha uyirmeys for the above mentioned Sanskrit sounds and at some point I noticed they started using the symbols
ச்', ச​', சா', சி', சீ', சு', சூ', ச்'ரு', சே', சை', சோ', சௌ' and ச​:' in place of the equivalent Grantha letters ஶ், ஶ, ஶா, ஶி, ஶீ, ஶு, ஶூ, ஶ்ரு', ஶே, ஶை, ஶோ, ஶௌ and ஶ:

In my e-mail I ad asked him why did they drop the former Grantha letters and replace them with the latter symbols and had suggested reviving
ஶ், ஶ, ஶா, ஶி, ஶீ, ஶு, ஶூ, ஶ்ரு', ஶே, ஶை, ஶோ, ஶௌ and ஶ: for the sounds ś, śa, śā, śi, śī, śu, śū, śṛ, śe, śai, śo, śau and śaḥ.

He had told me that he will read through that and by tomorrow morning Chennai time (this evening my time), he will reply to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back