• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Collating ceremonies of Tamil Brahmins and others

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SwamiTaBra

We can collate details of samskaras and other religious practices of the the three major communities under Tamil Brahmins viz. Smarthas (ashtasahasram, brahacharanam, vadama, vathima and others), Vaishnavas (both Thengalai & Vadagalai practices).

Dvaitins (Madhwas) living in Tamil Nadu speak either Kannada or Marathi and they too can be included.

It is also noticed that some Andhra Smarthas too have registered in this portal and are keen to know the samskaras.

This could be long exercise, but is worth undertaking in larger interest.

LIFCO, if I remember right has published small booklet on ceremonies.

Also within each community practices differ across districts in some case.

All are welcome to give their valuable inputs. Female folks are expected to participate actively.
Skirmishes may arise now and then, but they have to subsumed to the larger objective.

With regards to all,

Swami

We can collate details of samskaras and other religious practices of the the three major communities under Tamil Brahmins viz. Smarthas (ashtasahasram, brahacharanam, vadama, vathima and others), Vaishnavas (both Thengalai & Vadagalai practices).

Dvaitins (Madhwas) living in Tamil Nadu speak either Kannada or Marathi and they too can be included.

It is also noticed that some Andhra Smarthas too have registered in this portal and are keen to know the samskaras.

This could be long exercise, but is worth undertaking in larger interest.

LIFCO, if I remember right has published small booklet on ceremonies.

Also within each community practices differ across districts in some case.

All are welcome to give their valuable inputs. Female folks are expected to participate actively.
Skirmishes may arise now and then, but they have to subsumed to the larger objective.

With regards to all,

Swami
I think we may start with Vinayaka Chaturthi. In this also there are many ways of celebration. I will briefly sketch the old-time practice (among smarthas). That was to prepare an idol of Vinayaka with mud, dry it before the date of Chaturthi, do the pooja as prescribed in the book - the most important being "archanai" with different kinds of leaves, and, of course the naivedyam of "modakam". The deity is sent away the next morning and then the idol is taken and immersed in the temple tank, or in the well of the house.

There is no pollution, no noise by way of loud speakers and all. Only a simple household function, but performed by every one.

In areas where mud was difficult to get, the usual idol of ganesh - made of silver - used to take the place of the mud idol, but there will be no "udvaasanam" next day.

I think we may start with Vinayaka Chaturthi. In this also there are many ways of celebration. I will briefly sketch the old-time practice (among smarthas). That was to prepare an idol of Vinayaka with mud, dry it before the date of Chaturthi, do the pooja as prescribed in the book - the most important being "archanai" with different kinds of leaves, and, of course the naivedyam of "modakam". The deity is sent away the next morning and then the idol is taken and immersed in the temple tank, or in the well of the house.

There is no pollution, no noise by way of loud speakers and all. Only a simple household function, but performed by every one.

In areas where mud was difficult to get, the usual idol of ganesh - made of silver - used to take the place of the mud idol, but there will be no "udvaasanam" next day.

The idea is to create a tabulated version of various practices of each samskara/puja according to various traditions.
A few of them may be exculsive to a particular division. Say, a pancha-samskara is specific to vaishnavas and has no relevance to smarthas and others. Upanayanam, upakarma are common to all. Here we have 4 vedis, and the practices do vary. E.g. in a upanayana for a sama vedi the head of a boy is shaved off, but in yajur veda it is not so.

Taking vinayaka chaturthi puja all possible details of entire puja should be listed down, may be with a small commentary wherever necessary.

Once the entire exercise of creating such a template is accomplished, anyone accessing this portal can get to know fairly how to go about a puja/samskara as applicable.

It can be a fairly long exercise and cooperation of many will be required.

Let us see how it progresses...

Yours is the only response I got yet.

with regards,
Swami

It would be helpful if some one could clarify how the Lingam should be kept while doing pooja at home. What I would like to know is which direction the spout should be pointing while doing abhishekam and alankaram/naivedhyam?

It would be helpful if some one could clarify how the Lingam should be kept while doing pooja at home. What I would like to know is which direction the spout should be pointing while doing abhishekam and alankaram/naivedhyam?
The "spout" should point towards the north always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back