• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to convert non bramin to bramin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you want to convert? What is your motive..The life of a Brahmin is tough... Why do you want to inherit a pitiable life where you will be subjected to ridicule by the majority (in TN)?

Religious conversion only had been heard so far. No conversion to any particular cast is ever heard. To be born as a brahmin is an honor, to live and die as a brahmin is penance. Very few people are able to do so.

Dear Prasanth,

In my view the necessary and sufficient condition for being a brahmin is to adopt a sattvic way of thinking. It is ok even if you do not always exhibit sattvic behavior because that may not be always possible in the present age. In kaliyuga even when brahmins by birth are getting mostly corrupted, my advice for you would be get along with the times but try not to compromise on sattvic thinking. That is when you would not get frustrated as many brahmins have who have sadly changed their way of thinking.

converting to bramhin

Being brahmin is not any religion but a behaviour. Any one with such a behaviour is a brahmin. If you are raised in a brahmin family from childhood then generally you gain enough knowledge and learn to behave to be a brahmin; that is the reason why they say born to a brahmin is a brahmin. This is true most of the time and not 100% of the time. The psuedo brahmins have multiplied and has cast aspersions to the true brahmin community. Being a brahmin is to always follow the scientific laws/rules and tell/express the truth (truth is defined as accepted by the society in large by voluntary means and not by force) gained through knowledge (material truth through physical science, social truth through political science, moral truth through religious science etc.) Those who follow the laws/rules, know the truth and are able to convince others of this truth are the brahmins. This concept has been hijacked and these days anyone wearing a upanayanam thread is claiming to be a brahmin and that is the reason there is so much hatred towards brahmins. Ask yourself the question are you a brahmin just by birth or a brahmin through your behaviour. Anyone can become a brahmin at any time and considered by society as such if they are able to express truth by their behaviour nd the society accepts them voluntarily.

Hari Om

I like vganeji's reply.
But there are some other ideas.

[TD="class: votecell"][/TD]
[TD="class: answercell"] In his writings (Complete Works), Vivekananda gives examples of people whose caste has changed. Vivekananda said it was possible in 3 ways:

1. Another caste offers and accepts you as a member of their caste. This is done when the members of the caste think it will bring prestige to their caste to have a particular person a member of their caste. This is a group decision.
  2. A caste decides as a group to change their caste. The whole caste changes caste as a group, not an individual.
  3. Finally, it is possible for a Brahmin to lose his caste. If a Brahmin accepts work that is not fitting for a Brahmin then he and his family lose their caste and assume the caste of the work they are doing. I think that Vivekananda said it was 16 years of non-Brahmin work. There is an example of this in The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna also.
[/TD]
http://hinduism.stackexchange.com/questions/4089/can-a-person-change-his-caste-in-hinduism

I have heard of a Swami in Haridwar, India who conducts class to orphans and then performs the yogopavitham ceremony and then makes them Brahmin Priests. I could not find that link.

If you join ISKCON and go thru their teachings, they initiate you into Brahmin Hindus.

Last edited:
Dear All

please me let me know is it possible to convert a non bramin to bramin? if yes, please let me know the procedures

thanks
prasanth

Dear Prakarti,

Do you love someone who is a Non Brahmin and wanting to convert the person to become a Brahmin so that your parents would not object?

If you LOVE anyone..accept their identity without trying to change them.

Changing one's identity is like changing one's father..its not respectful to the mother.

Last edited:
Dear Renu,

It might be the other way too - Prasanth wishing to convert!

The real brahmin life is difficult but most of us are ONLY born brahmins. :cool:

I C and I R marriages are the order of the day and hence it is not necessary to convert the caste.

Vaagmi Sir can enlighten, whether converting as a brahmin is possible! Are you there, Sir?? :)

Converting to Brahmin? Never heard such concept. But i think with his good Karmas any one can be at par with Brahmin...

I like vganeji's reply.
But there are some other ideas.

[TD="class: votecell"][/TD]
[TD="class: answercell"] In his writings (Complete Works), Vivekananda gives examples of people whose caste has changed. Vivekananda said it was possible in 3 ways:

1. Another caste offers and accepts you as a member of their caste. This is done when the members of the caste think it will bring prestige to their caste to have a particular person a member of their caste. This is a group decision.
  2. A caste decides as a group to change their caste. The whole caste changes caste as a group, not an individual.
  3. Finally, it is possible for a Brahmin to lose his caste. If a Brahmin accepts work that is not fitting for a Brahmin then he and his family lose their caste and assume the caste of the work they are doing. I think that Vivekananda said it was 16 years of non-Brahmin work. There is an example of this in The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna also.
[/TD]
http://hinduism.stackexchange.com/questions/4089/can-a-person-change-his-caste-in-hinduism

I have heard of a Swami in Haridwar, India who conducts class to orphans and then performs the yogopavitham ceremony and then makes them Brahmin Priests. I could not find that link.

If you join ISKCON and go thru their teachings, they initiate you into Brahmin Hindus.
hi

in ISKCON.....HE IS NOT BRAHMIN.....HE IS KRISHNA DEVOTEE.. THATS ALL.....ACCORDING TO LAW....

ONLY BORN BRAHMINS ARE CONSIDERED AS BRAHMINS....no conversion in hindu.....

hi

in ISKCON.....HE IS NOT BRAHMIN.....HE IS KRISHNA DEVOTEE.. THATS ALL.....ACCORDING TO LAW....

ONLY BORN BRAHMINS ARE CONSIDERED AS BRAHMINS....no conversion in hindu.....

I do not think that is true. They get yogopavithav, and are ordained as priest.

I do not think that is true. They get yogopavithav, and are ordained as priest.
hi

may be....not according to law...even ALL SWAMINARAYAN SWAMIJIS ARE PATELS AND SOME ARE DALIT PATELS TOO...

THEY ARE ALL PRIESTS TOO....LIKE SWAMINARAYAN ...ISCKON IS SAMPRADAYA....NOT AS BORN BRAHMINS...

ISKCON guru is permitted to initiate disciples in the system that is being used in International Society for Krishna Consciousness; this ISKCON Guru System has undergone a considerable evolution and reform since its beginnings in the 1970s. Upanayana as a traditional "sacred thread ceremony" of the Gayatri Mantra, commonly known Hindu Samskara, is complemented by Pancaratric mantras of the Gaudiya Vaishnava sampradaya and follows the principal initial nama initiation ceremony, referred to respectively as brahmana diksa and Hari nama diksa.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISKCON_guru_system

ISKCON Bangalore conducted the initiation (diksha) ceremony on September 21 at the temple. This was in accordance with the ritvik system of initiation set up by His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, the Founder-Acharya of ISKCON.Our temple has been following the ritvik system of initiation for several years with Srila Prabhupada as the only guru or acharya of ISKCON.Both first (Harinama) and second (Brahminical) initiations were conducted during the ceremony held at the temple. Harinama initiation is the formal acceptance of the holy names of the Lord in the form of Hare Krishna mantra from the spiritual master and during the Brahminical initiation; the initiated devotee receives a sacred thread and Gayatri mantra from the spiritual master.Sixty one devotees including two from ISKCON Hubballi took Harinama initiation during the ceremony. The ceremony started with purificatory rituals followed by a talk by His Grace Madhu Pandit Dasa, Temple President, on the proper way of chanting and not committing any offences against the holy name. Thereafter, devotees to be initiated offered flowers to Srila Prabhupada, paid obeisances, and took a vow to chant the Hare Krishna mantra for the prescribed number of times daily and follow the basic regulative principles of devotional life. Then they were given spiritual names by the Temple President. A fire sacrifice was conducted and the initiated devotees offered oblations into the fire.During the Brahminical initiation that was performed next, three devotees received Gayatri mantra and the sacred thread.

https://www.iskconbangalore.org/news/initiation-as-srila-prabhupadas-disciples/

How others accepts them, is not known.

Last edited:
How others accepts them, is not known.

I have been to such congregations in Africa...In ISKCON prayers /Havans the local Black community are ordained as priests and do the puja..It is part & parcel of their tradition..Appreciate this

Some boys in my family and friend's circle, got married to nonbrahm girls and the sAsthigaLs assure that

the girls will become brahmins after the wedding! :cool: Right? No need to do the poonool ceremony! :D

If Hinduism wants to survive and spreads to other places, castes must go as quickly as possible.

Under the circumstances, coming to a particular caste may further hamper the elimination process of casteism in Hindu religion. It is a waste exercise.

Brahmin is not a birthright. One has to follow the vedic scriptures and cultivate that way of life to be truly a Brahmin. I disagree with the concept that if you born in a Brahmin family or lineage then you are automatically a Brahmin. By that argument all my progeny would be Ph.D's because I am a Ph.D. Any one who choses to follow the Vedic scriptural studies and follow that way of life should be considered as a Brahmin. Within that you can aspire to become a Priest or Pandit or become renowned in a particular Veda or several Vedas, DwiVedi, Trivedi, ChaturVedi etc. This class distinction needs to go away and be replaced by more educational format like B.S, M.S and Ph.D, which is the logical order in a scientific circle. One has to earn that title by virtue of one's present accomplishments on this Planet. This should a Moral Compass for all humanity.

If Hinduism wants to survive and spreads to other places, castes must go as quickly as possible.

Under the circumstances, coming to a particular caste may further hamper the elimination process of casteism in Hindu religion. It is a waste exercise.
That might be UTOPIan dream. Just as Race never goes away, so too caste will never go away.

hi

but how?.....who will do it?.....we dont have SINGLE POPE IN HINDUISM.....WE DONT BELIEVE IN SINGLE GOD....

then ...who has authority to do that/.....everybody tried....now a days...many more CASTES EARLIER....every day

some kind of new CASTE system comes up.....govt created many castes....BC...OBC...DALIT ETC...

If someone decided that they are Brahmins no one can say they are not !
So answer is just say you are one and learn to speak and act like one

The original question still remain unanswered. How to convert to Brahmani? My answer is a big no. There is no known technique to convert one to Brahmin who is not born as one. Any one well versed with Adviata Sidhantha should try to resolve.....

If someone decided that they are Brahmins no one can say they are not !
So answer is just say you are one and learn to speak and act like one

Actually a good suggestion indeed !

Since our community has a lot of priorities, some suggestions for those who wish to abide by a-TB's post above:

1) Fairer north indian guys/gals (not the whites or pathans, but Indian looking (maybe "settu" types) can easily follow the above provided they abstain from non-veg, learn some superficial shlokams... accent may not be an issue as they can say they are "sanskritised" brahmins
2) Fairer south indians should, in addition to the points from post 1 above, learn some popular shlokas by rote. They should also adhere to some matams and vist some temples regularly. Without "meesai" is a plus. Should watch michael madana kaamarajan and like movies to get a hang of the slang
3) Dark skinned north indians should in addition to points 1 & 2, learn some complex shlokas and understand the nuances of one philosophy at least (a, va or d).
4) Dark skinned south indians should, in additon to all the points above, learn some technical aspects of shlokas, and learn to berate about one brahmin sub-sect. Attending traditional bhajans, with "vethalai & pogayal" is a bonus.

Lo and behold !

Members are welcome to add points as they deem fit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back