• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to convert non bramin to bramin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually a good suggestion indeed !

Since our community has a lot of priorities, some suggestions for those who wish to abide by a-TB's post above:

1) Fairer north indian guys/gals (not the whites or pathans, but Indian looking (maybe "settu" types) can easily follow the above provided they abstain from non-veg, learn some superficial shlokams... accent may not be an issue as they can say they are "sanskritised" brahmins
2) Fairer south indians should, in addition to the points from post 1 above, learn some popular shlokas by rote. They should also adhere to some matams and vist some temples regularly. Without "meesai" is a plus. Should watch michael madana kaamarajan and like movies to get a hang of the slang
3) Dark skinned north indians should in addition to points 1 & 2, learn some complex shlokas and understand the nuances of one philosophy at least (a, va or d).
4) Dark skinned south indians should, in additon to all the points above, learn some technical aspects of shlokas, and learn to berate about one brahmin sub-sect. Attending traditional bhajans, with "vethalai & pogayal" is a bonus.

Lo and behold !

Members are welcome to add points as they deem fit. :)

Those who are not from 1 to 4 can say they are from ISKCON movement & can speak in English or any other foreign knowledge..But a Namam, kudumi & saffron dress are a must

Lord Ramanujacharya calld o mnay Non Brahmin and converted them o Brahmins. Sugesting to Read Lord Ramanjacharya books to get a idea.

If someone decided that they are Brahmins no one can say they are not !
So answer is just say you are one and learn to speak and act like one

True. Fake it till you make it.
It is others who have to accept you as Brahmin.

Since joining this forum, I have been asking this question.
What are the criteria for one to be a brahmin?
Other than claiming to be a brahmin by birth (that also is hearsay).

Last edited:
True. Fake it till you make it.
It is others who have to accept you as Brahmin.

Since joining this forum, I have been asking this question.
What are the criteria for one to be a brahmin?
Other than claiming to be a brahmin by birth (that also is hearsay).

Mr. Prasad,

I have come across this claim of you that you have been searching for an answer to your question umpteen number of times in this forum. Are you really looking for an answer with an open mind.

In one sentence the answer can be repeated for the umpteenth time. One who is sAtvik is a brahmin. Being born in a brahmin family gives some advantage in that the environmental impact on the genes over centuries and its benefit has been inherited. It is like building a superstructure on a well laid foundation. What you have as foundation is a given fact while what you build over it is purely your choice.

The creation on earth is heterogeneous. This fact can never be reversed. No amount of revolutionary fervour will reverse it and make it homogeneous.

Now this is not about superior/inferior or good/bad or even desitrable/undesirable binary discriminatory mindset. This is just recognizing and acknowledging a fact.

Take it or leave it.

You are asking for criteria. There is no one shirt that fits all.

Who said so...Ramanujacharya is the Pontiff and Vishnu is the One and Only God!

What a pathetic ignorance of facts!!

Vaishnavam is an ancient faithsystem which precedes Ramanujacharya. So Pontiffs can be many.

God by that entity's very nature has to be just one and can not be many. It can be understood as Allah, Father (of the Father,Son and the Holy Ghost trinity), Shiva, Ganesha, Subrahmanya, Vishnu, Parvathi, Kali, Lakshmi, Pandi, Madan, Ayyanar, Muniyandi etc. etc.,

When someone wants to organize the society into a group for some reason (mostly political reason) he says the God understood by him is The God. A group coalesces around him and it becomes a religion. Then for political reasons (this includes economics too) these religions fight with each other (not for any other reason). Destruction and misery follows.

All the religions can coexist peacefully. It is just the individual preference to a philosophy.

Like I prefer Samsung products. I have refrigerator, TV, cellphone everything from Samsung while my brother prefers some other brand. We do coexist happily and peacefully with our possessions.

LOL.

.......... Members are welcome to add points as they deem fit. :)
OMG! Why so much trouble of learning slOkams. Not all mAmAs and mAmis are well versed in slokams. :nono:

The easiest way is to learn brahmaNa bAshai, adding more of 'sha' sound.

Eg: chonnAn or chonnAL => shonnA

chAppidu => shAppdu

I guess Iyer slang is easier than IyengAr slang because the latter has many special words for food items! :D

P.S: One of my close friends always says 'rasa(n) shAA(n)' and 'mOru shAA(n)' and you can guess what they mean! :spy:

If someone decided that they are Brahmins no one can say they are not !
So answer is just say you are one and learn to speak and act like one
Good idea! After all 'nAtakamE indha ulagam; Aduvadho bommalAttam!' :drama:

I have already written in forum that one Iyer couple had V I P dharshan of Lord Balaji in Tirumala,

by wearing IyengAr costumes and joining a Jeeyar swami's group. :cool:

OMG! Why so much trouble of learning slOkams. Not all mAmAs and mAmis are well versed in slokams. :nono:

The easiest way is to learn brahmaNa bAshai, adding more of 'sha' sound.

Eg: chonnAn or chonnAL => shonnA

chAppidu => shAppdu

I guess Iyer slang is easier than IyengAr slang because the latter has many special words for food items! :D

P.S: One of my close friends always says 'rasa(n) shAA(n)' and 'mOru shAA(n)' and you can guess what they mean! :spy:

They can watch Idhu namma Aalu!

Who is a Brahmin - one who is Satvik or one who is Brahmin?

Dear All

please me let me know is it possible to convert a non bramin to bramin? if yes, please let me know the procedures

thanks
prasanth

Converting to human being is the toughest. Other conversions are mere formalities. You are not conerting. ou are merely making the society beleive that you are so and so after doing some rituals.

Krishna, Rama, Siva were not brahmins..They answer any one who looks for them..

And regarding slang, my wife says "chollungo" , "rasam vidava" "enga aam" but I say "rasam oothu" "veedu" etc :D

Last edited:
If someone wants to convert one's persona , there has to be a reason.
Some Indians and Chinese (including TB) change their names to western names when they come to USA though that is not needed to fit in.

One cannot change their birth caste ID (Jaathi) by the very definition of caste.

However if one wants to be a Brahmana Varna by their character it is entirely possible noting that most Kula Brahmanas rarely may be called Varna Brahmana in today's world.

The life of Brahmana Varna is not an easy one. Commitment to Satvik life and values is extraordinarily hard but achievable.

I know a few Americans who are some of the most Satvik people I know. A couple of them are true Sanskrit scholars who live the life of Karma Yogis while pursuing ordinary Grihasta life. They are married, have a job and have dedicated their life to learning Upanishad, Brahma Sutra and B. Gita with Sankara Bhashya. They have been to India many times just to learn.

When I have a doubt, as peer students, I reach out to them for clarification.

I consider them as belonging to Brahmana Varna. They are not offended if they are called Brahmin , or non-brahmin. One even jokes that he may be classified as Mlecha by the India's aathi system !

So the first question one must ask is 'why does someone want to become a Brahmana' in the first place.

........... So the first question one must ask is 'why does someone want to become a Brahmana' in the first place.
Dear TKS Sir,

I doubt whether anyone would wish to convert as a brahmin, with the reservation policies in India! :)

Invariably, it is wished when a brahmin wants to get married to a non brahmin.

We have had several threads in our dear forum on this topic.

P.S: Some of the threads have got the five star status too!! :D

Who is a Brahmin - one who is Satvik or one who is Brahmin?

Some people just say (or write) for the sake of it.
They know that it is not sincere, but they have to have a final say.
Unless you are born of (Or Adopted by) brahmin Parents, in the eyes of the society (and also court system), you are not brahmin.
Even if that person kills thousand cows, and eats meat and drinks alcohol, that person still remains "Brahmin". A satvic Mahatma does not become Brahmin on the eyes of many.

Converting to human being is the toughest. Other conversions are mere formalities. You are not conerting. ou are merely making the society beleive that you are so and so after doing some rituals.

And regarding slang, my wife says "chollungo" , "rasam vidava" "enga aam" but I say "rasam oothu" "veedu" etc :D

Wonderful observation.:thumb:

What a pathetic ignorance of facts!!

O' Narayana!

In my ignorance I found unlimited bliss,
Do I really need anything more than this?

From intelligence arises doubt the curtain,
From doubt destruction is surely certain.

Let me dance in the ignorant sway,
For intelligence keeps me far away.

Would I want to be far from You?
Only ignorance can keep me ever true.

Shiva is not reincarnation of any God. He is being treated only as God in all puranas and no caste is mentioned, whereas Rama and Krishna were reincarnations and born to human beings.

Regarding slang, it depends on how you move with the B community - the more it is with Bs the more will be B slang otherwise it is different.

We should not drag down Lord Shiva to human level by giving a caste to him.

Caste is only for humans of a certain religion.

Reference post # 38.

Some people just say (or write) for the sake of it.
They know that it is not sincere, but they have to have a final say.

LOL. I enjoyed that joke.

Unless you are born of (Or Adopted by) brahmin Parents, in the eyes of the society (and also court system), you are not brahmin.
Even if that person kills thousand cows, and eats meat and drinks alcohol, that person still remains "Brahmin". A satvic Mahatma does not become Brahmin on the eyes of many.

I said in post # 26:

It is like building a superstructure on a well laid foundation. What you have as foundation is a given fact while what you build over it is purely your choice.

If the super structure is "killing cows", it is not the responsibility of the caste. It is the individual's responsibility.

Last edited:
In my ignorance I found unlimited bliss,
Do I really need anything more than this?

When the bliss spills over and falls on others, they object. LOL.

From intelligence arises doubt the curtain,
From doubt destruction is surely certain.

The yavanika is usually ignorance and not intelligence. "Asatoma satgamaya and Tamasoma jyotirgamaya" says Veda. You are writing a new veda perhaps. LOL.

Let me dance in the ignorant sway,
For intelligence keeps me far away.

1) May get hurt. Take care. 2) No. You too are made of annamaya kosam, prana maya kosam, vijnanamaya kosam and Ananda maya kosam. So ignorance is not generic to you. Be aware. And perceive. LOL.

Would I want to be far from You?
Only ignorance can keep me ever true.

Enjoy. LOL.

In Mauritius we do not believe in caste system particularly in the Tamil community. It works wonders for us .we respect each other. Question of Conversion from one caste to another will never arise .i also believe that one,s good deed and behavior will enable him to be placed at the top in any society.

In Mauritius we do not believe in caste system particularly in the Tamil community

Actually it should be the base of uplift of any community or society. Ego politics and corruption has changed life difficult in many communities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back