• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Parents, Spouse and Children - Past, Present and Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir,
Thanks for enlightening .

So, let us not try to nit-pick by comparing the customs of different groups. As I said earlier, tambram society today is so weak that it won't object to any change/s in our customs or rituals. Let us be happy about it.

Also my fear has come true - My inability to convey my ideas/views without conveying the wrong meaning

My objective was not to nitprick, definitely - I wanted to convey (Through different posts)

1) how as a young TamBram I am not able to defend our customs and traditions due to lack of knowledge and specific to this custom, how being on the girl's side adds insult to injury to the girl's mind on that particular day
2) How, inspite of being Brahmins in our neighbouring states , the brahmins (Smarthas in particular) do not have these custom apart from being accomodating the girl's family's mistakes and errors during wedding.

That is it.

I am sorry if I had conveyed otherwise.

Anyways, as usual your posts always teach new stuff.

Thank you
Revathi

Sir,
Thanks for enlightening .

Also my fear has come true - My inability to convey my ideas/views without conveying the wrong meaning

My objective was not to nitprick, definitely - I wanted to convey (Through different posts)

1) how as a young TamBram I am not able to defend our customs and traditions due to lack of knowledge and specific to this custom, how being on the girl's side adds insult to injury to the girl's mind on that particular day
2) How, inspite of being Brahmins in our neighbouring states , the brahmins (Smarthas in particular) do not have these custom apart from being accomodating the girl's family's mistakes and errors during wedding.

That is it.

I am sorry if I had conveyed otherwise.

Anyways, as usual your posts always teach new stuff.

Thank you
Revathi
Smt. Revathi,

The following portion in your post #24 gave me the impression that you are comparing and telling that only among us is the "washing feet" and Mahavishnu etc., are followed; not even by those Karnataka brahmins:

"(For them No Mahalakshmi, MahaVishnu Concept - No washing feet - They are also Smarthas(Iyers) )"

Since this "washing feet" is getting some emphasis in your posts and you have said that your NB friend wondered about it, it looks to me that you give some importance to that particular item. That is why I said comparison may only lead us to more and more of such disparities being detected.

Sir,
Thanks - I hope I will learn how to convey better.

Thanks for your patience

Regards
Revathi

I am in Karnataka (Bangalore ) for the past 17 years.15 years back, I attended the marriage of my colleague who is also my friend.They are basically Mysore Smarthas with Andhra Link.Average middle class family and the boy is a Telugu Brahmin born and brought up in Hosur.(He is a post graduate from IIT and was very well placed in Top IT company)

In Bangalore, we have this unique habit of not serving until the whole dining hall is filled.When the Boys Parents came to have breakfast , still some 2 rows were not filled and they patiently waited! The whole breakfast was only idly and vadai with Chutney and Sambar .Vadai got over midway and half of us (including Groon's side) could not taste vadai.But not even a single murmur on this, they had whatever was served and went back to the marriage ceremony.This was truly a marraige of 2 families - where one accomodates the short comings on the other.

I just compared that with mine and my sister's marriage - which was tension filled.- I dont want to narrate individual incidents - but enough for my blood to boil at that thought.So I dont think about those.

(For them No Mahalakshmi, MahaVishnu Concept - No washing feet - They are also Smarthas(Iyers) )

Just wanted to share my two cents - Knowing this forum for the past one month , I except some brick bats and unwanted assumptions , self-interpretation and attributing motivations even to tell my reallife experience!

Thank You
revathi

dear revathi,

thank you for your reply. you are indeed a delight to read and a welcome breath of fresh air to this forum. please do not let anyone chase you out through their postings.

it has been tried on me several times. i found that the best reaction, is to stay, remain, and constanly emphasize and re-emphasize what you believe in.

those whose minds are set, will change nary an inch. but i am convinced there is a lot of passive readership, who might benefit from views such as yours. at the very least, atleast they will have a good read.

now with this welcome preamble, may i please comment on the treatment meated out to your parents by the sambandhis.

basically, what i found, atleast these days, the girls' side only gets mistreated, if they let themselves be so. it is all a matter of personalities. if the girl's side remains assertive, cool, have the ability to shed 'passed on traditions' and 'learn to say "no", i think there will be respect and less of demand from the boy's side.

come off it, today there are more girls chasing fewer girls. it is the boy's side who are desperate. my one girl relative, an average looking neice, had 100s of varan proposal within hours in the web matrimony ads. this type of response caught them off guard, along with the incessant phone calls. they could pick and chose.

ofcourse the mil proved to be a nasty one later, but it was the son who bore the brunt, because the girl's parent would put up with no nastiness towards their daughter, and warned the husband, if the mil and did not brush up her manners, the girl was coming back home. i applaud such parents, who having brought up and treated their daughters like flowers, and further ensure that these are well cared for in their pugundha veedu.

to sum up. there is no need for girls side to take any abuse from the boys side anymore. they just have to get off this mindset. the sooner they do, it will be good for the mental well being of the community.

the last neice wedding, the expenses were borne 50/50. this again was a mistake, as the groom were rich. it was only hindsight that the girls side realized that they should have just handed a certain amount to the boys side and ask them to conduct the wedding as they pleased. the boys side are brand name in chennai establishment. their only son was head over in heels with my neice. all are iyers.

the times, they are changing for the better. let us keep it that way. :)

thank you.

Last edited:
Kunjuppu Sir,

Appreciate your Welcome Note!

dear revathi,

basically, what i found, atleast these days, the girls' side only gets mistreated, if they let themselves be so. it is all a matter of personalities. if the girl's side remains assertive, cool, have the ability to shed 'passed on traditions' and 'learn to say "no", i think there will be respect and less of demand from the boy's side.

come off it, today there are more girls chasing fewer girls. it is the boy's side who are desperate. my one girl relative, an average looking neice, had 100s of varan proposal within hours in the web matrimony ads. this type of response caught them off guard, along with the incessant phone calls. they could pick and chose.

Yes, I do observe this...Having a daughter, who is being brought up in a cosmopolitan city -I realize I am at a greater advantage than my parents (with three daughters and no money)

Thank You
Revathi

Mr.Nara,
I am really moved by your complements.Thank you so much.
I reside in India/USA(CALIFORNIA) with an option to become
permanent citizen of USA.
IF BASIC TRUST & CONFIDENCE IS THERE WITH ALL FORUM MEMBERS
THAT ALL TAMIL BRAHMIN MEMBERS WHO ARE NOW IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES
ARE ALSO WELL WISHERS OF TAMIL BRAHMIN COMMUNITY THERE WILL BE NO NEED TO BUILD DIVIDING WALLS.
HOPE THAT DAY WILL COME SOON!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back