• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Pls advice me regarding Vishnu Sahasranam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

In Vishnu Sahasranam, Is chanting only 107 slokas enough? Or we should chand completely starting from "Shuklam baradaram" till the last line "Narayanayethi samarpayami". One may not get full benefit chanting only 107 slokas? If I need to chant the complete book starting from "Shuklam baradaram" till the last line "Narayanayethi samarpayami" to achieve maximum benefits, I will do. Pls advice me Sir.

I'm from a Non Vegetarian family..I have tried many times to quit NV food.. but I'm unable to quit as it makes me depressed. But I'm a firm believer of God & Chanting mantras/slokas. Due to my NV food habit, I quit chanting Gayatri mantra and Hanuman Chalisa.

But If I take NV food, can I chant VS after washing my face and mouth?

Will I get full benefits if i chant VS with devotion after taking NV food.
Or will I get any adverse/worse effects?

Pls advice.

Hello,

In Vishnu Sahasranam, Is chanting only 107 slokas enough? Or we should chand completely starting from "Shuklam baradaram" till the last line "Narayanayethi samarpayami". One may not get full benefit chanting only 107 slokas? If I need to chant the complete book starting from "Shuklam baradaram" till the last line "Narayanayethi samarpayami" to achieve maximum benefits, I will do. Pls advice me Sir.

I'm from a Non Vegetarian family..I have tried many times to quit NV food.. but I'm unable to quit as it makes me depressed. But I'm a firm believer of God & Chanting mantras/slokas. Due to my NV food habit, I quit chanting Gayatri mantra and Hanuman Chalisa.

But If I take NV food, can I chant VS after washing my face and mouth?

Will I get full benefits if i chant VS with devotion after taking NV food.
Or will I get any adverse/worse effects?

Pls advice.

Shri unclutch,

My first doubt is are you a brahmin and whether you chant Gayatri just as a prayer or as part of Sandhyavandan.
On getting your clarification, I will advise you about gayatri mantra.

As for VS, Hanuman Chalisa, etc., I am of the view that there is no prohibition in chanting them. But since your post says, "But If I take NV food, can I chant VS after washing my face and mouth?". This gives me a doubt whether you are trying to experiment every time eating NV food and immediately thereafter, wash face & mouth and start reading the slokas; in other words the eating of NV food will be the first step in the prayer :) as a challenge to long-held Brahmanic beliefs of vegetarianism. If that is your idea, then I will differ.

But if NV food is taken at the usual time/s and prayers are done in their time, I will say there is no objection.

Dear Friend.. I'm a non Brahmin.. But I like spirituality, chanting mantras/slokas, meditation, etc. I did chant Gayatri mantra for developing my intelligence & spirituality but I gave up fearing my NV food habit.

I would chant VS only after 1 or 2 hrs after taking food(Non veg). Will this bring any negative/adverse effect to me?

Pls advice

Dear Friend.. I'm a non Brahmin.. But I like spirituality, chanting mantras/slokas, meditation, etc. I did chant Gayatri mantra for developing my intelligence & spirituality but I gave up fearing my NV food habit.

I would chant VS only after 1 or 2 hrs after taking food(Non veg). Will this bring any negative/adverse effect to me?

Pls advice

Thank you, Shri unclutch. There is absolutely no objection to your chanting VS in the way you say. You can start from viswam vishnuH and recite all the 107 slokas, or begin from the dhyaana sloka (ksheerodanvat pradese...) or recite the entire book including the phalasruthi. The choice is up to you. The main requirement is that you should have full and complete faith in whatever way you are chanting and should not waver if (& when) someone says that your method is not sufficient or is defective.

Personally I will not criticize your chanting Gayatree also, though I feel some others may not endorse this. It is good to chant Gayatree in the early morning before you eat anything or, at best, after the morning coffee/tea.

Sir,
You asked this question in a Brahmin forum, most of us probably are familier with the Brahmin Practice. Generally Brahmins are vegetarians. So our answers are going to be biased.

In Arya Samaj groups, they chant Gayatri Mantra, and perform Homams (they call it Havans), but most of them are Non-vegetarians.
So Mr. Sangom advised you, there is no prohibition in reciting any mantra, as long as you have the devotion.

Gayatri Mantram

Respects to all,

According to the scriptures there is no bar on any human to wear Poonal (both men who wear poonal and women who used to wear thali saradu ) Therefore whether one is born a Brahmin or not is immaterial to chant Gayatri mantram. Please, sir, practice Gayatri as much as you can. In fact King and sage Vishwamitra who was instrumental in giving us Gayatri was not born Brahmin. Kindly wear Poonal if you can and practice Sandhyavandanam and chant Gayatri for your and your family's benefit. Personally, I am so pleased you have taken the initiative to do so. And I do agree it is useful to get initiated by a Guru. If you can't find a Guru, let your family elder do it with all the affection.

Regarding Non Veg, that has become part of our culture. At some point of time in your life, think about not killing and eating animals. When Rama was in the forest Agasthiyar hunted animals for Ramar. Doesn't mean that is a justification to eat meat. And even if you do eat meat, try to avoid Halal as it is first offered to Allah. Ever wonder why Muslims are so powerful. Millions of offerings daily by Muslims !

I am not saying on Vishnu Sahasranamam as I do not feel qualified to say anything on that. I am still practicing it myself.

Regards,

Vish V Iyer MS FRCS

Dear Clutch,

It was quite interesting to read your post, your pursuit, aim and ambition.

If your ultimate objective is to connect with and relate with the divine, you dont have to be born a brahmin.

It is not vegetarian food that will ensure realization of God. You can realize God even if you are a Non vegetarian. Interestingly Bengali Brahmins eat fish and they call it 'Samudhra Pushpam'.

As regards how Vishnu Sahasranama begins or ends, even among brahmins different opinions exist and there is no consensus.

Do not be deluded that chanting of Vishnu Sahasranama or Gayatri mantra will increase your intelligence and take you to heights in Spirituality. They will absolutely not take you to any height in Spirituality nor increase your intelligence one bit.

Try to know God, to know Him personally through your character and conduct. Much depends on how you relate with fellow human beings.

It is good to read scriptures but do not stop at just reading. What do you think when you are alone? Study yourself and assess your own self when you are alone. Your real YOU is who you are, what you meditate upon and what you do when you are alone, when no one is watching you. Give your own self an account of your life and check what judgment GOD and your conscience will pass on you.

If there is any area in life you need to change, change now, the time is now. Do not procrastinate. Do not expect the world around you to change to suit your interests. The world changes indeed but not to suit you.

Regards,
Acharya

Dear Friends,

I have read thru internet that if a person who is a non-vegetarian chants Gayatri mantra, he would become mad or dead.. or his life would become very miserable. Is this true.

Pls advice

Dear Unclutch,

May I know the source from where you gathered that chanting Gayatri Mantra develops Intelligence and Spirituality?

Buddha, Mahavira, Puttaparthi Saibaba, Shirdi Saibaba, Jesus, Mohammed were neither brahmins nor chanted gayatri/vishnu sahasranama. How did they develop spirituality?

Regards,
Iyer@Infosys

Dear Friends,

I have read thru internet that if a person who is a non-vegetarian chants Gayatri mantra, he would become mad or dead.. or his life would become very miserable. Is this true.

Sir,
Your repeated postings are suggesting that you are troll, and no an honest person. Let us not kid ourselves.
Your original post seemed to be genuine, and people advised you accordingly. Now you have started to insult the majority (Brahmins) community here with your outlandish assertions.

Sir,
Your repeated postings are suggesting that you are troll, and no an honest person. Let us not kid ourselves.
Your original post seemed to be genuine, and people advised you accordingly. Now you have started to insult the majority (Brahmins) community here with your outlandish assertions.

While I also agree with Shri Prasad's remarks in so far as trolling is concerned, I like to take your fresh query to be a sincere one. It is for you (and you alone) to decide whether the internet opinion (viz., if a person who is a non-vegetarian chants Gayatri mantra, he would become mad or dead.. or his life would become very miserable) which ranks higher than the advices given by some members here which also, interestingly, is through the internet; or is it vice versa, and then take a final decision for yourself.

BTW, we brahmins hold VS and gaayatree all in the same honoured pedestal and so there is no essential difference between a non-veg person chanting the gaayatree or reciting VS. What does your internet source say on this and will you kindly give the url for our info?

I read with interest questions of Mr.Unclutch and the various comments and reactions. Though Vegetarian or non vegetarian is immaterial, faith is very essential.
It is always better for anyone to chant stotras slokas and manthras preferably immediately after bath in the morning before proceeding for any other mundane work.
From a scientific point of view it is better to adopt to vegetarian food habit atleast some point of time in your life, as our digestive system is meant more for vegetarian food.
K.Kannan

Hello Unclutch, Greetings.

If you like pay respect to Vishnu Sahasra Namam, you may not consume non-vegetarian food on the day you like to chant Vishnu Sahasra Namam. It is like not to drink before driving. Even if you seem sober, if your blood alcohol level exceeds certain amount, you are not allowed to drive. Quite possibly you abide by such rules. You may have similar restrictions to yourself.

Other members said you may do it out of decency; but most if not all of them don't consume non-vegetarian food. I am different. So, my suggestion is, if you are going to chant any prayer, do it sincerely and have some restriction for yourself.

Cheers!

mantras should not be chanted if it is not initiated by a proper guru.

Dear HRHK,

I request you to corrobarate your statement with evidence from the scriptures, preferably from Vedas and Upanishads?

May I also know who is a proper guru?

Regards,
Iyer@Infosys

Dear Unclutch,

The purpose of reciting Vishnu Sahasranama and performing Gayatri Mantra is to realize how great God almighty is and how small we are.

It is to realize that God is Infinite and that He alone is worthy of all glory, honor, reverence, worship, praise etc. It is to realize that we are zero and nothing before God. It is to shed our ego and humble ourselves before God who is Omnipotent, Omnipresent and Omniscient. Shedding our ego, arrogance, pride and humbling ourselves is the first step to realize God.

Regards,
Iyer@Infosys

Dear Unclutch,

Whatever you do towards spirituality, please do it with faith believing in God. Faith and Trust in God is mandatory to progress in spiritual life.

Any mantra you recite, if they are originally in Sanskrit, please recite or chant only in Sanskrit. As best as possible avoid reciting the transliterated ones as they do not always reflect the original phoneams. The phonetic sound is of utmost importance in chanting. That is the beauty of Sanskrit language.

Regards,
Iyer

Iyer ji

I propose, you first do your home work and find for yourself.

Thanks

Respectful Sir,

I accept that practically mantras were initiated by Gurus. But to the extent I searched scriptures, nowhere is it commanded or mandated or decreed that 'Mantras must be initiated by a guru'. Many a hindu saint have received mantras in transcendance from devatas directly and have passed it on to others.

Luv,
Iyer@Infosys

Our ancient Sages and Great People have emphasized the significance and importance of this sacred scripture i.e.
Vishnu Sahasranamam. Why not we follow their teachings or guidance. One can see in Satcharita of Shirdi Sai Baba
who has given us clear direction in this connection. By reading this scripture, it facilitates one to counteract
something unpleasant. Reading Vishnu Saharanamam will enable us to drive away problems. In fact one can
take an oath that Vishnu Sahasranamam should be chanted daily besides listening. A stanza per day with the meaning
of the stanza will relieve the stress of a person.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Respects to all,

The literal translation of Gayatri Mantra is a prayer to Savtr, the intelligent brightness that is omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient, to enlighten us. Therefore, yes, chanting Gayatri WILL enhance one's wisdom, not just the IQ.

Vish Iyer MS FRCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back