• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

நெஞ்சு பொருக்குதிலையே

• Thread starter Thread starter Nara
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, we need a high moral society where people are not greedy, where people are not selfish. Unfortunately in today's world, my suggestion sounds highly theoritical and imaginary. Politicians and Govt. can play a very significant role, if only they wish. But they are busy looting Rs.176000 crores. Why does one need so much money? Aren't they aware of the poor status of a majority of their fellow citizens? Where is conscience? When a person is denied opportunity, he would resort to crime and that is why crime is increasing all over. It is a world where only the fittest survives.

Dear Sri Siva,

You said it well. I am fully with you. Every morning when I open the newspaper I read news about individual happenings around metropolitan cities which has absolutely no relevance to day to day living of majority of people. It is the same with visual media as well. The Government is run by same old bureaucrats who thrive on directionless self serving "Political Bosses". Lack of committed Leadership is immersing the Country into economic chaos. All common essential welfare activities like good Roads,Hospitals, Water, Power, Transport and education have been converted to big business activities.

The informative Article by Mr. Dipankar Mukherjee, Secretary, CITU, under caption "Petroleum Taxes, The untold Story" on recent hike on Petroleum products is an eye opener to know how the Government is run.

Petroleum Taxes: The Untold Story By Dipankar Mukherjee

I am sorry that I have digressed away from the main thread. But I can't help.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

The only pleasure a poor has it to have child (I mean child and not just sex). We can not deprive them of their only pleasure. Our society (comprising of politicians, bureaucrats, businessmen, media persons and the so-caled "common man") has been selfish. There is no value system. As a result, the mighty gets his/her way and the poor are left behind. So, we are all responsible for the poor to be poor. I am financially well. But I still want more and that "more" would only go to me, my children, my family, etc. I am not willing to share it with the poor. I might at most make some charity here and there. If you look at how I got this financial status, it is because I got an opportunity which the poor have not got. Is it their fault? (That is why I quoted the song, "koduttadellam koduttaar avar yaarukkaaga koduttaar?" in my earlier post in this thread). Poor are not poor either because they want to be so or because they are sinners.

Similarly, I am aware of middle class people who are unable to have a child in the normal process. They spend beyond their means to have a child. But they do not want to adopt a poor child. Issue of Mindse - an example of "I, me, my, mine". This has to change.

So, we need a high moral society where people are not greedy, where people are not selfish. Unfortunately in today's world, my suggestion sounds highly theoritical and imaginary. Politicians and Govt. can play a very significant role, if only they wish. But they are busy looting Rs.176000 crores. Why does one need so much money? Aren't they aware of the poor status of a majority of their fellow citizens? Where is the conscience? When a person is denied opportunity, he would resort to crime and that is why crime is increasing all over. It is a world where only the fittest survives.

Dear Hari:

1. Yes, the only pleasure the poor has is to have a child (not many children)..But, if this child happens to be one of the boys trapped in the Salem railway station, what good is that? His child should have been loved, nourished and protected up until age 18. Is he doing?

If the 900 million poor people decide to have just one child per family, we will not be talking about the population explosion at the poor end of the Society in India. The fact of the matter is, most poor families have at least 3 children per family. Is this right?

2. All Societies are selfish - that is called the Enlightened Self Interest. Using your skills, hard work and ambition you earn legally what's possible. That's what you have done and is what I have done.

Every year, I give away a portion of my earnings to Charity via Red Cross, or "Uthavum Karangal" etc.. I am sure you and others do regularly. Is this not the so-called "sharing it with the poor?". We have kids and we need to provide them the best we can afford to. What's wrong in it?

3. If I look at the path I have taken in my life, it's very very rocky and thorny: sheer hard work, good planning and bit of luck helped me to reach the place I always aspired to be. Opportunity knocks only when you are READY with skills and hard work, IMO.

"koduttadellam koduttar avar yaarukkaaga koduttar" is a philosophical line relating what God Almighty has given you, which I categorically reject, sorry.

4. "I, me, my, mine" is a mind set of the hard working population following the doctrine of Enlightened Self Interest.. I concede too much of it will be pathological.

5. Where did you get Rs 176,000 crores? Are you talking about the "phatomom loss" presumably occurred in 2G sale? If it is, listen to what Arun Shourie said, "Raja sold what the Indian Govt did not own in the first place!"

6. I used to tell, "It's the People, Politics and Policy that determine the prosperity of a country"... we are talking about the 900 million people who have multiple children, who have been mostly abused and neglected by the poor parents, who perpetuate the legacy of poverty in India. I am trying to find a SOLUTION for it.

7. We need a culture of responsibility, which starts at home - for our children: the very starting point of our responsibility to our own children is what we are talking about here in this Thread after seeing the 15 under-aged boys.

Yes, our Politics and Policies are not producing the desired results.

Whose fault is it? Is it God or People? I dare say it is the People, who are God-fearing and who have too many children to feed!

"Stop. No More Children, if you are poor"

Cheers.

ps. Luck = Opportunity = "Being at the Right Place at the Right Time" are all elements of randomness, which play some MINOR role in our lives, IMO.

Last edited:
Dear Hari:

1). If I look at the path I have taken in my life, it's very very rocky and thorny: sheer hard work, good planning and bit of luck helped me to reach the place I always aspired to be. Opportunity knocks only when you are READY with skills and hard work, IMO.

2)"Stop. No More Children, if you are poor"

Cheers.

1)sh.yamaka, pls enlighten me.. i thought the word LUCK is relevant only for those who believe in faith/superstition , unknown unexplained things & happenings. widely attributed to gamblers to, but not for those kinds like 'its me, myself, mine who made it".

2) every parent, even the one who live in the slums struggling for one square meal a day, still give birth to many a children, with the hope that their children will become great one day, become big, and have 3 engineers and doctors or chief ministers in their family . they do it all with the hopes, like how their rich counter part parents do. the rich also give birth with the same hope. hope you agree, all riches were some generations ago were poor, and its cyclic. so, is there anything wrong in that hope. or logically prove, the poor cannot become rich. a child living in abject conditions under the railway platform,still can amaze wealth, the stories of which we could read in many an autobiographies of the riches. pls enlighten me.

hi nara sir,
the new story abt child marriages in hyderabad......
Yes tbs sir, such news items make me sad. Banning the poor from having children is not a solution, just not so Y. While I don't take second place to no one when it comes to criticizing religion, all of them, this is not about religion either. It is strictly about poverty, ignorance and to some extent male-domination. Education, employment and women empowerment is the solution. Coercive methods upon the victims won't work, let alone they are unconscionable. It is the exploiters who must be coerced with lawful penalties.

Cheers!

hi nara sir,
the new story abt child marriages in hyderabad.......so called tech city.....

Hyderabad’s new bride bazaar

courtesy NDTV NEWS

regards
tbs

i am very surprised.

we indians, of all religions, have strong prejudices against africans.

infact this was the reason - untouchability practised by gujarati - ismailis khojas (both muslim sects) and hindus - that made idi amin kick them all out uganda.

even in south africa there is very little interaction with the local black people by the indians, now that aprtheid is over. there is more relationships and marriages with the whites.

Yes tbs sir, such news items make me sad. Banning the poor from having children is not a solution, just not so Y. While I don't take second place to no one when it comes to criticizing religion, all of them, this is not about religion either. It is strictly about poverty, ignorance and to some extent male-domination. Education, employment and women empowerment is the solution. Coercive methods upon the victims won't work, let alone they are unconscionable. It is the exploiters who must be coerced with lawful penalties.

Cheers!

Dear N:

"Education, employment and women empowerment is the solution. Coercive methods upon the victims won't work, let alone they are unconscionable. It is the exploiters who must be coerced with lawful penalties."

I fully agree with every word you have said here..

I am only asking, "Where is the primary responsibility of the parents of these 15 boys stranded in Salem?"

I assume here that all these boys ran away from home because of the neglect and abuse by the parents, who are themselves trapped in the cycle of poverty.

One of the solutions I suggest (NOT a Command by the State) is poor parents NEED not have large families, lest it leads to amplify the poverty at home further.

Granted, Nitish Kumar in Bihar, J Jaya in TN are all working overtime to give education and employment to ALL kids. Since the number of kids in need is so humongous and keeps increasing, the system is stalling and consequently poverty lingers and even increases day by day.

It's the population explosion at the poor end of the Society that I am talking about... we must curb the humongous supply of poor kids, economically speaking!

How to manage it? Solutions, please.

"No More Children Today, if you are poor"

Cheers.

ps. Women empowerment is yet another issue we need to talk about a lot.

Last edited:
What's Greed and Who's Being Greedy? - A look back of my life -

1. When I came to Chicago in late 1979, everything looked very awesome. One day evening (around 6 pm) I was standing on a bridge over an Inter-State highway with multiple lanes. So many cars with their head lights on on one side, and red lights on the reverse traffic flow. A stupendous view, for me.

I said "Wow.." my jaw dropped... I yelled "Wonderful, when will I get my own car?"

I took many of the Indian Professors who visited me to the same spot, and they all said,

"What a greed... Enna Kozhuppu intha Americanskku? Why do they need so many cars, anyway?"

The fact of the matter is they all are commuting from work, and car is a MUST, it's not a luxury, but a need.

Later, in my own drive way three vehicles were parked: A Ford SUV (my wife's), a BMW 325i (my daughter's car to go to school) and a Volvo 740 GLE (my car).

Without these vehicles, we just can't do our job in TX! They are the NEEDs.

2. I lived in India in a house built by my grandfather - a 2000 Sq Foot stone house where four families shared (the maximum of 20 people)!

Here in the US, middle to upper middle class families of 4 live in a house of the same size.

Is this Greed? No... it's just very normal, an average.

Therefore, someone's GREEDY living is somebody else' NORMAL living, as "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder"!

Cheers.

Last edited:
....How to manage it? Solutions, please.

Dear Y, forbidding the poor from having children is no solution, because, IMO, this can never be implemented in a liberal democracy, and therefore, this is no solution.

Cheers!

....All common essential welfare activities like good Roads,Hospitals, Water, Power, Transport and education have been converted to big business activities.
Dear B sir, I share your disgust about the nexus between business and politics. "Aam Admi" is honest and simple, doesn't understand lakhs of rupees, let alone crores of crores of rupees of the stratosphere in which Pranab Babu operates.

UPA has sold the soul of India to the West for a pittance.

This phenomenon is being played out the world over. The debt crisis in Greeceis a case in point. Per capita Greek debt is $44,000, as opposed to $45,000 for the U.S. Even this 44K of Greece's debt was due to shenanigans of Goldman Sachs that enriched themselves and some top Greece Bankers and politicians, leaving the tab to the common Greek. Now, the economic overlords/vulchers, want their pound of flesh one more time, from the Greek Aam Admi.

Wealth of a nation is produced by the labor of Aam Admi, but the bourgeoisie, with the help of politicians, manage to rob the producers of wealth and enrich themselves. Please permit me to present a chart of income growth for the top 1% and the rest of Americans, here. All this is perfectly legal because the politicians are in the pocket of the top 1%.

Dear Shri B sir, sorry to give a lecture, let me step down from my soapbox. Thanks for listening.

Cheers!

Let's Talk About Who Will Pay For the Exploding Poor in India and Elsewhere? -

In most of OECD countries, about 55% of the Gross National Income is collected as tax at all levels (City+ County + State + Federal). If you increase the tax rate, the revenue drops; therefore, most countries stay around 55-60% of the GNI as total tax revenue.

I am assuming India also follows this. Many of the OECD countries run routinely annual budget deficits of 5-15% (in normal economy about 5% of GNI and during recession, like the one in the US since 2008 10-15% of GNI).

What I see is the State (India or US) does not have any more way of getting additional revenue from anywhere.

It looks to me that poor section of the countries can't expect any more help from the State - they are all maxed out their ability to do anything more.

If you do more, then you need to borrow more from the bond market (those who have wealth to invest).

My understanding is both US and India has nearly 100% or lot more of the GDP as the total outstanding Debt.

More outstanding Debt means, the interest you pay increases and the principal amount needs to be returned some day by SAVING more in the budget as Surplus.

Both India and US are stuck...

Where will you find the money to support more and more of poor created by the most irresponsible parents in India and the US?

Talk about solutions, please.

Last edited:
having 3 cars for a family in west many be a must, for the day to day needs and they find their happiness and needs of life met, with that.

for a poor who cant afford to hire even a bicycle for 1 hrs,or 3 meals a day, the only option is to finds happiness in having many children and looking at their smiles.

interestingly, in west couples may have 2 car each, but may not want to have a children even, and may see children as a burden.

but poor aam aadmi finds his happiness though his gang of children's face.

happiness matters right!

"in west couples may have 2 car each,but may not want to have a children even,and may see children as a burden" (Quote).
In most of the houses,whether they have children or not,they do have two or more cats,more than one dog which get more attention
than what poor parents in India can afford for their children.
In some earlier thread also I have mentioned.I used to stay in the 'Guest Room of RMS' in the first platform of GUDUR rly station.
From my room window,I used to observe a family consisting of husband,wife and one male child 5 years or so staying below the staircase to the second platform.Whenever any express Train came to the first platform, all the three will go to different compartments and try to get some eatables leftover by the passengers.After the Train had left the station,all the three would return to their place of stay and share the food among themselves.At that point of time they appeared to be very happy as if they were eating in a decent Restaurant.
Who is to be blamed for their plight?.GOD,Government of the State and centre,or the other citizens,or the developed countries who exploited poor countries like India and plundered the wealth of India and similarly placed countries or the UNITED NATIONS which is dominated by a few developed countries and deny equal rights to all countries in decision making process.

UPA has sold the soul of India to the West for a pittance.

Wealth of a nation is produced by the labor of Aam Admi, but the bourgeoisie, with the help of politicians, manage to rob the producers of wealth and enrich themselves. Please permit me to present a chart of income growth for the top 1% and the rest of Americans, here. All this is perfectly legal because the politicians are in the pocket of the top 1%.

Dear Shri B sir, sorry to give a lecture, let me step down from my soapbox. Thanks for listening.

Cheers!

Dear Sri "Nara",

I welcome your "lecture" which is refreshing for a thinking mind. Half hearted adoption of laissez-faire by Dr.M.M.Singh without losing the hold of Government intervention has resulted in this economic disaster. Now the nation's economy is in the grip of another set of bureaucrats called "Regulators", who set the prices of essentials sitting in their Delhi Durbar. Cartels of major industries and services like Petroleum, Iron and Steel, Cement,Transport and Telecommunications dictate price fixing by the regulators. MRTP has become ineffective in the case of many products like Petroleum Products where Government wields monopoly. I do not want to enter into the major subject of "Political morality" or "Black money" which is eating away the core of our Country's energy. At this rate economic future of our Country looks alarmingly bleak . The "once all powerful" RBI does not know what comes in or what goes out today.

End of the day I am afraid, the Aam Admi in our Country, who do not have any Social security Cover will be left to carry the burden of debt more than the statistics shown by you.

When I look at the happenings around me I could only repeat poet's words "நெஞ்சு பொருக்குதிலையே".

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

While I was in service,my colleague from INDIAN ECONOMIC SERVICE used to tell me
that Dr.MMS was at best a Government economist and not(repeat not) a real economist like
Mr.Amartya Sen.If you go through his expressed opinions over a period of years,
he would have only echoed (like a parrot) the views of the then Government in Power.
When he was the Finance Minister in Shri.Narasimha Rao cabinet,he took a decision
which affected a number of investors including myself.
Earlier,the Ministry of Finance used to approve the premium to be fixed for the shares of individual companies when they go to market for raising Capital through issue of Shares. HE took a decision empowering each company to determine the rate of premium.That was the time Harshad Mehta Scam was in operation.The value of Shares were boosted artificially.Most of the companies issued initially Debentures offering attractive rates of interest.All the companies converted those debentures
into shares with Premium fixed arbitrarily.Most of the companies were not in the reckoning in a short period of time.
Though he was earlier Governor of Reserve Bank of India,when the HM scam came into open,he issued a statement that he was not aware how Stock Markets are functioning.
The developed Western countries fool the general public of Poor Nations by giving artificial Hallow to these leaders from Poor Countries thus making them look like great intellectuals
and great leaders in the eyes of unsuspecting poor people of these poor countries.
Even during 1950's Rajaji used to decry formation of unwarranted PSUs and taking

indiscriminately loan from World Bank,Asian Development Bank.
These banks charge commitment charges at one percent from the time loan is committed to a nation till the first installment of the Loan is drawn after fulfilling all the terms of conditions,which are very difficult to fulfill to the satisfaction of these banks.I have seen that the commitment charges consume amounts equivalent to 7 to 10 percent of the Sanctioned Loan Amount.

Last edited:
"in west couples may have 2 car each,but may not want to have a children even,and may see children as a burden" (Quote).
In most of the houses,whether they have children or not,they do have two or more cats,more than one dog which get more attention
than what poor parents in India can afford for their children.
In some earlier thread also I have mentioned.I used to stay in the 'Guest Room of RMS' in the first platform of GUDUR rly station.
From my room window,I used to observe a family consisting of husband,wife and one male child 5 years or so staying below the staircase to the second platform.Whenever any express Train came to the first platform, all the three will go to different compartments and try to get some eatables leftover by the passengers.After the Train had left the station,all the three would return to their place of stay and share the food among themselves.At that point of time they appeared to be very happy as if they were eating in a decent Restaurant.
Who is to be blamed for their plight?.GOD,Government of the State and centre,or the other citizens,or the developed countries who exploited poor countries like India and plundered the wealth of India and similarly placed countries or the UNITED NATIONS which is dominated by a few developed countries and deny equal rights to all countries in decision making process.

"Who is to be blamed for their plight?.GOD,Government of the State and centre,or the other citizens,or the developed countries who exploited poor countries like India and plundered the wealth of India and similarly placed countries or the UNITED NATIONS which is dominated by a few developed countries and deny equal rights to all countries in decision making process."

Dear Krish Sir:

Good question... my considered answer is the PRIMARY responsibility is with the Family - the Man of the Family...whatever decisions he made for his life....

We can emotionalize all day - at the end of the day, there got to be a Solution by identifying the PRIMARY culprit, then move on..

Yesterday, I talked to a Chinese friend...and we were talking about PM Wen and his Europe tour.. He said,

"China is very confident now than anytime before in our recent history..Wen's very cocky speech in Europe says it. we have in a way solved the structural problems in China: Population Explosion and the corrosive effects of God."

"From the days of Deng, we have liberalized our economy and Chinese are much happier now than ever before... we don't want to follow the liberal democracy of India - there we see too much talk and too little action, confusion everywhere...Indians have too much freedom... and everybody blames everybody else... and they take too long to make up their mind... India can NEVER catch up with China"

I wonder "Is liberal democracy in India is a long rope to hang ourselves or to climb up the hills of obstruction?"

We need Solutions.... Sir.

Dear Sri "Nara",

I welcome your "lecture" which is refreshing for a thinking mind. Half hearted adoption of laissez-faire by Dr.M.M.Singh without losing the hold of Government intervention has resulted in this economic disaster. Now the nation's economy is in the grip of another set of bureaucrats called "Regulators", who set the prices of essentials sitting in their Delhi Durbar. Cartels of major industries and services like Petroleum, Iron and Steel, Cement,Transport and Telecommunications dictate price fixing by the regulators. MRTP has become ineffective in the case of many products like Petroleum Products where Government wields monopoly. I do not want to enter into the major subject of "Political morality" or "Black money" which is eating away the core of our Country's energy. At this rate economic future of our Country looks alarmingly bleak . The "once all powerful" RBI does not know what comes in or what goes out today.

End of the day I am afraid, the Aam Admi in our Country, who do not have any Social security Cover will be left to carry the burden of debt more than the statistics shown by you.

When I look at the happenings around me I could only repeat poet's words "நெஞ்சு பொருக்குதிலையே".

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Brahman Sir:

Will you be happy to have complete laissez-faire in India similar to US under GW Bush?

In an unregulated markets, the private sector will maximize their profits even at the expense of their own survival.

Think of Lehman Brothers, AIG, Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, WaMu etc.

My view is Govt must have very strong oversight of what's happening in the "free market" and intervene with a powerful hand to stop financial meltdowns...

We are still paying a hefty price for "the new innovations - the derivatives" aka "the Weapons of Mass Destruction" that the Finance Industry came up with in 2002-2008 in the US.

Cheers.

Dear Y, Sanjay and Indira Gandhi tried this already. Are you in favor of such methods?

Let's Talk About Who Will Pay For the Exploding Poor in India and Elsewhere?
The poor are paying for themselves, no thanks to government or business. With all kinds of consumption taxes (VAT, entry tax, sales tax, etc.) -- the most regressive form of taxation -- I would wager, if I am a betting man, the poor pay more into the government coffers than any benefit they derive from the government. The link Shri B sir provided looks at the petrol price, tax, subsidies etc. This is just one commodity.

Even in this case of the young boys from Bihar, they came down to work and make a living, not be a burden on anyone. The reason their plight came to light is not because they became wards of the state, but because of the unscrupulous and greedy businessmen who wanted to extract their labor without paying for it.

So, IMO, nobody need to pay for the poor, pay them their just wages and they will take care of themselves. If the rich and powerful stop being leeches, that will do.

On greed and normal living
The suburban sprawl and the dependance of automobiles in the U.S. was not some inevitable consequence of natural process. This was a result of purposeful planning. At one time, not very long ago, people used to say what is good for GM is good for the nation. Making and selling cars was the way the U.S. economy grew.

More cars meant more roads, more roads meant more cars. More cars and more roads meant living far away in bedroom communities and drive to work. Lack of decent public transportation system meant even more cars and more roads, more oil imports, more CO2, more wars. Many drive-to-work commuters spend hours on the road to and from work.

Large homes in the U.S. is a recent phenomenon. In 1970 the average house was 1400 sq.ft. and by 2009 it had grown to 2700. This is also a result of more and more suburban sprawl, not because it was a necessity.

Cheers!

Y,

Re your post #66,

In china you have the overwhelming superiority in numbers and culture of the han Chinese, the Confucius culture and mandarin language.

India is an amalgam of cultures, classes, religions, languages, castes, creeds and what not. Strictly speaking there is really no reason why india should be a political entity as it is today.

Except through some accident of british rule and the ensuing democratic republic that succeeded it. It has been a bounded union for 60+ years now, and with each year, it is becoming a tossup as to how long the union will exist.

As mentioned in another post, the fissiparous forces are strong all over the country, but the land will probably implode under the guns of the Maoists, judging the way these guys are butchering our underpaid undertrained undermanned underofficered police forces.

For india, there is no better mode of government than democracy. It is good that china since deng, has had good leaders. But the previous 40 years there was mao. Enough said?

All india needs is a series of good governance. Should happen sooner or later. Just look at what we are capable of doing, with such lousy leadership.

Methinks, that china is a ticking timebomb – the disparaties are too much, and there is no avenue to let out the steam. The pressure cooker is simply fuming inside. Time alone will tell.

Any tendency towards authoritarianism in india, would mean, that we will become another Pakistan or Bangladesh. Yechhhh!! South asian dictators are worse infinitely than their duly elected counterparts, I think.

Shri.Yamaka,
Yes.I agree with You.Positive ACTION is required from ALL.No point in indulging in giving
lenghthy Speeches.
Somewhere,I read that Dalai LAMA had adviced all INDIANS to emulate the Chinese people and do hard work for the benefit of the country.
Reports which I get from People who had visited China on business trip is they have
gone far ahead of India in Development.
There was a monk a hundred years before in India who was shouting from rooftop
that 'India is now sleeping,though a Giant.Arise!Awake! Sleep not till the Goal is reached.None realised his wisdom and acted.
Perhaps India would have prospered long,long ago if that monk's Idealism had been incorporated in the 'Directive Principles of the Constitution Of INDIA and He was made
the FATHER OF THE NATION.
Even MKG took inspiration only from that Monk.

Dear Y, Sanjay and Indira Gandhi tried this already. Are you in favor of such methods?

The poor are paying for themselves, no thanks to government or business. With all kinds of consumption taxes (VAT, entry tax, sales tax, etc.) -- the most regressive form of taxation -- I would wager, if I am a betting man, the poor pay more into the government coffers than any benefit they derive from the government. The link Shri B sir provided looks at the petrol price, tax, subsidies etc. This is just one commodity.

Even in this case of the young boys from Bihar, they came down to work and make a living, not be a burden on anyone. The reason their plight came to light is not because they became wards of the state, but because of the unscrupulous and greedy businessmen who wanted to extract their labor without paying for it.

So, IMO, nobody need to pay for the poor, pay them their just wages and they will take care of themselves. If the rich and powerful stop being leeches, that will do.

On greed and normal living
The suburban sprawl and the dependance of automobiles in the U.S. was not some inevitable consequence of natural process. This was a result of purposeful planning. At one time, not very long ago, people used to say what is good for GM is good for the nation. Making and selling cars was the way the U.S. economy grew.

More cars meant more roads, more roads meant more cars. More cars and more roads meant living far away in bedroom communities and drive to work. Lack of decent public transportation system meant even more cars and more roads, more oil imports, more CO2, more wars. Many drive-to-work commuters spend hours on the road to and from work.

Large homes in the U.S. is a recent phenomenon. In 1970 the average house was 1400 sq.ft. and by 2009 it had grown to 2700. This is also a result of more and more suburban sprawl, not because it was a necessity.

Cheers!

Dear N:

Answering by para:

1. No I don't go the way Sanjay and Mrs. Gandhi did during the Emergency. State has NO right to intervene in the personal choices of citizens - whether to have protected sex or not, whether to have one child, two or more etc.and when!

I want the Personal FREE WILL of lower income people (who make less than Rs. 150 per day) to tell them "If you have children, you must love them, feed, cloth and educate them till age 18.. if you can't, then don't have unprotected sex now...maybe later".

I believe those 15 young kids have been abandoned by their parents and/or legal guardians.. I ask them "What happened to the happiness you had when they were born?.... why don't you - the parents who brought them here - be more responsible till they are age 18?"

2. Maybe you are right.. these 900 million Indians pay about 55% of the total revenue collected thru consumption tax of some sorts; but, but their per capita contribution will be FAR LESS than the other group (the 300 million Indians who make MORE than Rs. 150 per day) who remit 45% of the total revenue thru consumption, income, capital gain and estate taxes.

Everyone should pay something towards the cost of "Common Good" (to run the State, to pay for the military, to pay for the courts, police and for roads and bridges etc etc). I concede the lower income people also pay something towards this.

However, the lower income people get back most of what they pay via Earned Income Credit, Refundable Tax Credits, subsidies at the Ration Shop for rice, oil etc etc.

3. Young Bihar boys perhaps broke the strict "Child Labor" laws... I don't know. For them I will say, what Paramount Leader Kamaraj said,

"Pasanga pallikudam pohanumgran.... avangalukku mathia vunavu podanumgran" till they are age 18.

4. I disagree with you here.. even if all the taxes collected via consumption tax is paid back to these 900 million people, they will remain poor and be locked inside the Gates of Hell. Because they believe too much in God, they remain poorly skilled and their family size is too big to feed all the mouths.

What's Income and What's Wealth and Who Creates Wealth in India and Elesewhere?

Say, the poor people who make less than Rs. 150 per day income spends all up for their existence, and there is no savings whatsoever. These people can NEVER have wealth in all their lives.

Say, the other group of people who make between Rs. 150 and above as much as Rs 10,000 a day or more, CAN save as much as about 35% of it. This group is slowly building wealth and it grows over time to several hundred crores.

This accumulated savings is the WEALTH that everybody's talking about, including Dr. MMS recently...

Therefore, the name of the game is how much a citizen can save every day, every month and every year, and how it is invested to increase the NEST EGG: that's what the Retirement and Pension Funds do... Alas, the poor people don't have this option because they just can't save anything primarily because of their very large family size.

That's what I have been talking all along.... Too many kids to poor people.

5. I agree with your observation about more cars and moving into suburban sprawl... that's been the Free Will of the Middle and Upper Middle Class Americans to live away from the congested and crime ridden inner cities.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Y,

Re your post #66,

In china you have the overwhelming superiority in numbers and culture of the han Chinese, the Confucius culture and mandarin language.

India is an amalgam of cultures, classes, religions, languages, castes, creeds and what not. Strictly speaking there is really no reason why india should be a political entity as it is today.

Except through some accident of british rule and the ensuing democratic republic that succeeded it. It has been a bounded union for 60+ years now, and with each year, it is becoming a tossup as to how long the union will exist.

As mentioned in another post, the fissiparous forces are strong all over the country, but the land will probably implode under the guns of the Maoists, judging the way these guys are butchering our underpaid undertrained undermanned underofficered police forces.

For india, there is no better mode of government than democracy. It is good that china since deng, has had good leaders. But the previous 40 years there was mao. Enough said?

All india needs is a series of good governance. Should happen sooner or later. Just look at what we are capable of doing, with such lousy leadership.

Methinks, that china is a ticking timebomb – the disparaties are too much, and there is no avenue to let out the steam. The pressure cooker is simply fuming inside. Time alone will tell.

Any tendency towards authoritarianism in india, would mean, that we will become another Pakistan or Bangladesh. Yechhhh!! South asian dictators are worse infinitely than their duly elected counterparts, I think.

Dear K:

One Military Journal is predicting that there will a big war between either China and Japan and/or China and India in the next 10-15 years.

Some also say that a major confrontation with US is also quite possible.. I believe an unchallenged financially superior Red China will be a menace to the world!

I don't know finally what these "Maoists" in India can achieve? West Bengal was ruled for nearly 34 years continuously by the Communists. Finally, there per capita is just about U$. 800 when the national average is U$. 1100....and TN is about U$1300 per year!

I expected problems similar to Arab Spring in China... nothing materialized... the relatively young Chinese who don't know about Chairman Mao etc want good jobs, good food and cloths.... not Indian-style Free Wheeling chaotic Democracy in India, I gather.

I guess India may be fragmented into South, East, Central and West...with a very strong Federal Character, as envisaged by CN Annadurai.

Cheers.

tbs sir, if China wants to develop offensive capabilities, let them. There is no need for India to match China. To wage an aggressive war is not easy, and it will cost the aggressor much more than they bargained for. The U.S. operations in Afghanistan and Iraq is going to end up costing upward of $3 Trillion, according to economic Nobel Prize winner Joseph Stiglitz, not to mention the priceless lives lost. If China wants to go down that road, let them.

India made a big mistake in 1974 with the diabolically named Smiling Buddha -- an insult to Buddha. The then Ambassador Moynihan is supposed to have said to Indira Ghandi that this was a strategic blunder, India would have always been a far superior conventional power compared to Pakistan, but by crossing this nuclear threshold and provoking Pakistan to pursue nuclear weapons also, India will loose its conventional advantage due to nuclear parity.

When I think about China, I am reminded of the Ferengi of Star Wars Next Generation. When it all comes down to it, they are just after business, the next almighty $. They will never do anything to jeopardize their profit.

IMO, India should stay clear of international politics. Never trust USA, they will turn on a dime, the most recent piece of evidence is USA not standing up for India in the NSG. Permanent seat in UNSC means being as permanent vassal to the U.S., like the U.K. India should be smart enough to chart an independent course. It is lot smarter to pursue foreign alliances with independent power centers like Brazil, SA, and Turkey. Sadly, the so called United Progressive Alliance in India has chosen to be beholden to the U.S., the established hegemon.

Cheers!

Dear K:

One Military Journal is predicting that there will a big war between either China and Japan and/or China and India in the next 10-15 years.

Some also say that a major confrontation with US is also quite possible.. I believe an unchallenged financially superior Red China will be a menace to the world!

I don't know finally what these "Maoists" in India can achieve? West Bengal was ruled for nearly 34 years continuously by the Communists. Finally, there per capita is just about U$. 800 when the national average is U$. 1100....and TN is about U$1300 per year!

I expected problems similar to Arab Spring in China... nothing materialized... the relatively young Chinese who don't know about Chairman Mao etc want good jobs, good food and cloths.... not Indian-style Free Wheeling chaotic Democracy in India, I gather.

I guess India may be fragmented into South, East, Central and West...with a very strong Federal Character, as envisaged by CN Annadurai.

Cheers.

dear K,

china is too far smart, i think, to wage war on anyone. they might have massive internal upheavals, but they would not resort to the indo/pak tactics of spraying bullets over the border to distract the populace from domestic issues.

to date, china, has not made on mis step. it has wagged its tail, and raised a swagger or two, with its military or navy. but outside of china mainland, PLA is an untried force. interestingly, it is good to note here, that PLA got thrashed by a battle hardened vietnamese army about twenty or so years ago, in what was then a brutal border skirmish.

way back, in the 50s, china tried to use the huge ethnic chinese populations of south east asia, to promote its interests, only to find it backfire. today, the chinese stealthily conquer through money, influence, and their citizens starting business in the new frontiers of south america and africa. china has guaranteed itself markets and raw materials from these places, in a manner that the west envies.

what hu and the rest of china, so diligently broadcast - that china is still a third world country and ways to go, before anyone sleeps - is true. they are focussing inwards, with massive infrastructure projects.

there is a fear that the one child policy may cause china to dig its own grave. i doubt it. it would probably be an organized way, for china to slowly reduce the population to 800 million or so, with high standards of living and a social safety network. this, i see happening, in another 50 years.

the chinese are second to none in long term planning.

i am waiting to travel in a chinese made passenger jet and ride in a chinese made battery operated car. i feel that era is not too far off. great achievement for a country that subsisted on bok choy throughout the latter part of the 20th century.

should we fear china. NO.

should we envy china. YES. we could wish we were like china. but that would be wishful thinking. no more. no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest ads

Back