• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Advaita - For Scholars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sarma ji,

I wonder how it is that Sankara's Advaita can only be logically fitted with the SUnyavAda of madhyamika buddhism becos in Pancadashi of Shri Vidyaranya Swami there is refutation of the Madhyamika system in its second chapter...so if you feel that Sankara's Advaita fits Madhyamika so why do the Advaitins even care to refute it?
hi renu,
some say sankara follows sunyavada of busddhism....sarma ji is correct....in many places brahma sutra bhashya....sankara follows
sunyavada of madhyamika buddhism.........looklike.....शून्यमद शुन्यामिधम शून्यात शून्यमुधच्चुते
शून्यस्य शून्यमाधाया शून्यं एव अवसिष्यते

Last edited:
hi renu,
some say sankara follows sunyavada of busddhism....sarma ji is correct....in many places brahma sutra bhashya....sankara follows
sunyavada of madhyamika buddhism.........looklike.....

TBS garu,

When I have more time I will past the debate in Pancadashi of Shri Vidyaranya Swami Advaitins Vs Madhyamika (Sunyavada )doctrine.

hi renu
this is latter days of sankara......

Yes..post Shankara period.

Hey TBS garu you wrote:

..शून्यमद शुन्यामिधम शून्यात शून्यमुधच्चुते
शून्यस्य शून्यमाधाया शून्यं एव अवसिष्यते
Can Shoonya give rise to Poorna?

You know that's what the debate is all about in Panchadashi.

Last edited:
Folks,

Here is a scholarly paper that discusses in length about whether Sunyavada is the source of Advata, examining both not only from each of their epistemologies but also from the history of India at the time Shankara Acharyal lived.

http://unipune.ac.in/snc/cssh/ipq/english/IPQ/21-25 volumes/25 03/PDF/25-3-6.pdf

The last sentence of this scholarly paper is:
Modern Scholars of Indian Philosophy have the apprehension that "there was a far greater influence of the Upanishads on the Mahayana Sutras than what is supposed till now"

This paper also establishes that while it is possible that the Acharyal might have benefited from what went on with Buddhism at that time, his philosophy is well within the Upanishad's teachings.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Sri Ramanuja did not start a new sampradyam. Visishtadvaitam too is as old as advaitam. He fulfilled one of the three wishes of yamunacharya and wote the bhashya on brahmasutras to bring out the visishtadvaita sense contained in them.
One needs to understand that Sri Ramanuja was going after discrediting this doctrine to essentially start a new Sampradhayam.
KRS

Dear Sri Sarang Ji,

Professor Grimes, Professor of Indian Philosophy at Michigan State University says that 'Unlike in Advaitha where there is no founder of the school, the founder of Visishtadwaitha is Ramanuja. As such he is the Bhasyakara"
Ref: pgae 8, The seven great untenables.

Is not Sri Vaishnavism, a seperate Sampradhayam of Visishtadvaitham, started by Ramanujacharyal?

If I have made a wrong statement, it is because of my ignorance of Visishtadwaitha in general. Thanks for pointing out.

Regards,
KRS

namaste everyone.

Ramanuja's Refutation of Advaita and its Validity

Here is a compilation (for our records here at TB) of how the renowned Hindu scholar Prabhu Dutt Shastri refutes Ramanuja's arguments against Advaita, taken from the author's book The Doctrine of Maya (published in 1911). This is a rather long compilation but is worth reading as it covers all the points of objections raised by Ramanuja.

Ramanuja's criticism of the theory of Maya is embodied in his greatest work, The SribhAShya, a commentary on BAdarAyaNa's brahmasUtras. His exposition of the first sUtra occupies the largest space in his treatise, and this criticism appears under the same division. Ramanuja brings seven charges against the doctrine of Maya. We reproduce the gist of each, in order, with a criticism of our own.

Sri Saidevo ji

One of the members DrBarani provided insights in his posts elsewhere many months ago, which in my view is applicable here.

Often we find ourselves locked up in binary logic (only two values - True or False) which often leads to contradictions when two step binary logic is not a fit.
Logical framework include multi-valued logic (e.g., Not true is not same as False ) , inference based logic etc. The criticism of Ramanuja's objections are easily resolved by multi-valued logical framework

Regards

Dear Sarma ji,

I wonder how it is that Sankara's Advaita can only be logically fitted with the SUnyavAda of madhyamika buddhism becos in Pancadashi of Shri Vidyaranya Swami there is refutation of the Madhyamika system in its second chapter...so if you feel that Sankara's Advaita fits Madhyamika so why do the Advaitins even care to refute it?

Smt. Renuka,

I am not as learned as you are and have not read Panchadasi. But even Sankara himself refutes Buddhism in rather harsh tones in his BSB.

I will request you to kindly read the pdf paper whose link is given by Shri KRS in this post.
You will find that by no stretch of imagination/argument/logic, can one say that Sankara could not have been influenced by Buddhism, because he lived during times when the vedic poorvameemAmsA was on its decline, great meemAmsA giants like Kumarila were already ranged against Buddhism, defeating buddhist scholars in debates and thus converting the rulers to their (vedic) belief system, but Sankara felt it necessary to defeat these very vedic/meemAmsic scholars and defeat them in order that his own philosophy can get accepted.

So, applying the rule that Sankara was aginst those who opposed Buddhism but did not want to align himself with those (opposed to Buddhism) it can be concluded that he was more against meemAmsa than against Buddhism. I would say that probably Sankara might have thought that by defeating Kumarila and others who were winning against Buddhism, he (Sankara) could gain a stature for his nascent philosophy which would not have been possible if he had used it for defeating Buddhism.

Viewed from this perspective, it will be easy to say that Sankara's first enemy was vedic meemAmsA and Buddhism ranked only second.

The alatasanti prakarana of mandukya karika of gaudapada is supposed to follow very closely the
Mahayana Buddhist style of dialectic to explain the relativity of our phenomenal experience and for establishing the Atman or soul as the only reality underlying the phenomenal existence. There is a view that Gaudapada did not feel confident of promoting his philosophy by anyone of his direct disciples and it was Govindapada who thought that Sankara would be the fittest person to publicize his Guru's teaching to the world without being accused of being Buddhist in its essence.

You will kindly notice, from KRS' paper, p-2, that—

In pancapadika vivarana Prakasatman rules out any claim with regard to the Buddhist influence upon Sankara and condemns a thinker who talks of the affinities between Buddhism and Sankara's Philosophy as one "who talks something which befits an ignorant man and his case is indeed pitiable".

It will therefore be seen that even at the time of Prakasatman (13th. century C.E.?) there was a feeling that Sankara's advaita had some likeness to madhyamika buddhism.

As for your question, so if you feel that Sankara's Advaita fits Madhyamika so why do the Advaitins even care to refute it?, I have to give only the following answers:—

• The advaitin scholars' bread & butter is probably dependent upon advaita's eminence; it may even be a sentimental and prestige issue for them, but they are not governed by the views of a small fry like myself
  • I am in the fortunate situation of saying that I am an advaitin brahmana but have the freedom today to express my honest views about advaita
  • Even though I concede that advaita might suffer from many or a few deficiencies, there is no illogicality in saying that I adhere to it; I feel it is like admitting "my father is an illiterate brahmin who could not earn any moneys, but yet he is my father."

Last edited by a moderator:
The term 'visishtadvaita' is not used by ramanuja; its use came later. The theory part is 'aseha', 'chit'and 'achit', and the relationship between the three. The practical part is is the way to reach the 'purusha'.

Since the discussion is on the philosophy part, 'purusha' is different from 'jiva' is a much older concept that is described and sanctioned by vedas, upanishads, gita and brahma sutras (according to vaishnava interpretation).

Unfortunately, we all learn from western sources, which miss our traditional and cultural and intrinsic values.

Dear Sri Sarang Ji,

Professor Grimes, Professor of Indian Philosophy at Michigan State University says that 'Unlike in Advaitha where there is no founder of the school, the founder of Visishtadwaitha is Ramanuja. As such he is the Bhasyakara"
Ref: pgae 8, The seven great untenables.

Is not Sri Vaishnavism, a seperate Sampradhayam of Visishtadvaitham, started by Ramanujacharyal?

If I have made a wrong statement, it is because of my ignorance of Visishtadwaitha in general. Thanks for pointing out.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sri Sarang Ji,

You said:
Unfortunately, we all learn from western sources, which miss our traditional and cultural and intrinsic values.

I don't get this comment. Are you saying that irrespective of scholarship, any western source is implicitly wrong?

Also, what is the import on whether Ramanuja Acharyal did not call his philosophy 'Visishtadvaitha' and it was later applied?

I don't understand what you are trying to convey.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
....Also, what is the import on whether Ramanuja Acharyal did not call his philosophy 'Visishtadvaitha' and it was later applied?
Dear bro, I don't know what the import is, but the statement is true. Bhagavat Ramanuja never used the term "visihta-advaitam". He was also not the founder of Sri Vaishnavam or what later came to be known as visishta-advaitam, these were already prevalent. Ramanuja made important contributions and made it more widely accepted and practiced.

Cheers!

This has reference to shrI Sarma's post #33 in the Atheism for Beginners thread here:
http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/8259-atheism-beginners-4.html#post122753

nAsadIya sUktam: Rgveda 10.129

The last two lines of this sUktam are most intriguing. They read as follows:

iyaM visRuShTiryata AbabhUva | yadi vA dadhe yadi vA na |
yo asyAdhyakShaH parame vyomann | so aMga veda yadi vA na veda || 7 ||

The usual interepretations of these lines run as follows:

Vivekananda:
This projection whence arose,
Whether held or whether not,
He the ruler in the supreme sky, of this
He, O Sharman! knows, or knows not He perchance!

Krishnananda:
Whence all creation had its origin,
he, whether he fashioned it or whether he did not,
he, who surveys it all from highest heaven,
he knows - or maybe even he does not know.

Wilson, HH:
He from whom this creation arose,
he may uphold it, or he may not (no one else can);
he who is superintendent in the highest heaven,
he assuredly knows, or if he knows not (no one else does).

Max Mueller:
He from whom this creation arose,
whether he made it or did not make it,
the highest seer in the highest heaven,
he forsooth knows, or does even he not know?

dadha - preserve, maintain, uphold; adhyakSha - exercising supervision, superintendent; vyoman - space, sky, ether, heaven; aMga/anga - well, indeed! veda - knows

The paradox of the Creator not knowing about his own Creation is explained as follows:

Notice that in this verse, the Creator is not only separted from the Creation, but addressed to as a person, 'He'. He is also spoken of as supervising His Creation from the highest heaven.

1) According to A.K.Coomaraswamy:
the last line should be translated as: "He knows AND He knows not!"

The idea is that outcome of every act is not really fixed at all till the last second. The grace can act at last minute, there is no exception. The Creator does not need to plan ahead. Thus, both statements 'He knows' and 'He knows not in advance' are true. He does not specify the way of conclusion in advance, since such a specification limits His Own Power and by definition, the Supreme Person has no limitations.

2) According to Swamy Nikhilananda:
since the suktam specifies a 'He' instead of 'It', the seer actually means 'SaguNa Brahm' and not 'NirguNa Brahm', and it is not surprising that SaguNa Brahm does not know something since He is a lesser consciousness than NirguNa Brahm. This view came up from Mr.Ramakrishna, another Shishya of my Guru while our little discussion was going on. But my Guru opines that since the entire RigVeda as 'sah' (He) instead of 'tat'(It), this theory has needs some more exploration before complete acceptance.

3) According to SAyana BhAshyam:
the last line has a different meaning. The penultimate word 'na' in the verse is usually translated as 'not', but it can also mean 'who else'. My Guru gives several references where 'na' is used as 'who else'. Hence, the translation becomes: "He knows, and [if not] who else knows."

Chandogya Upanishad 7.24.1 offers a similar proposition:

"In which one sees nothing else, hears nothing else, understands nothing else, that is infinite. But that in which one sees something else, hears something else, understands something else, is the finite. That which is infinite, is alone immortal, and that which is finite, is mortal". "Revered sir, in what is that infinite established?" "On its own greatness or not even on its own greatness".

The interesting question is:
Does this nAsadIya sUktam have the seeds for all the three Kali Yuga Darshanas: advaita, dvaita, vishiShTAdvaita?

The interesting question is:
Does this nAsadIya sUktam have the seeds for all the three Kali Yuga Darshanas: advaita, dvaita, vishiShTAdvaita?

Sri Saidevo -

The question assumes that each of these Darshanas are inconsistent and/or different.
They are all descriptions of the same reality from different stand point. There is no inconsistency between advita and dvita for example though literal meaning make them opposite of each other.

Teachers of Advita who are enlightened understood this. Sri Sankara who taught the world the right interpretations of Advita also composed Bhakti evoking slokas like Bhavani Ashtakam

Regards

Sri Saidevo -

The question assumes that each of these Darshanas are inconsistent and/or different.
They are all descriptions of the same reality from different stand point. There is no inconsistency between advita and dvita for example though literal meaning make them opposite of each other.

Teachers of Advita who are enlightened understood this. Sri Sankara who taught the world the right interpretations of Advita also composed Bhakti evoking slokas like Bhavani Ashtakam

Regards

Actually I always wondered what was the need to see these 3 views as opposing to each other why couldnt there be an understanding that all 3 are inter related.

Milk is Advaita. Butter is Visishtadvaita. Buttermilk is Dvaita. Both Dvaita and Visishtadvita are derived from Advaita isnt that the famous analogy?

Milk is Advaita. Butter is Visishtadvaita. Buttermilk is Dvaita. Both Dvaita and Visishtadvita are derived from Advaita isnt that the famous analogy?

I do not know whence this analogy? Milk has to be boiled, cooled and some coagulating substance added to it for getting butter and buttermilk is the original milk minus the nourishing butter, which is like the peel of a banana, so to say. I doubt whether any dvaitin, or for that matter, any VA will take kindly to this analogy.

imho, the simple question like "what is truth" or "what is reality" has been answered in three different ways.

A- says you have the truth in you, try to realize that; all the rest which you feel to be true/real are only mirage-like.

VA - says the truth is in you, but you have to realize the reality in its holistic form, for which do X,Y,Z etc.

D - says reality is X; worship it and understand its true nature.

The above is my limited (and probably defective) understanding. Corrections welcomed.

Sri Sankara who taught the world the right interpretations of Advita also composed Bhakti evoking slokas like Bhavani Ashtakam.

Some scholars hold the view that sankara did not highlight bhakti as one of the means for attaining brahmajnAna. e.g., in Brih. Bhashya, 1,4-1, Sankara says,

"nahi vEdAntEshu brahmaadmavijnaanadanyat paramapurushArthasAdhanatvavEnAvagamyate"

(In the texts of the vedanta nothing other than the knowledge of the identity of the Self and Brahman is recognised as the means to the highest end of man.)

In the second verse of aparOkshAnubhUti, the AcArya clearly says, "the path to direct cognition (of brahman) is verily being expounded for the attainment of liberation. Those with virtue should practise this repeatedly."

Again the great AcArya says clearly,

tasmAt kEvalAd Eva jnAnAd mOkshaH
iti EshaH arthA niscitO geetAsu sarvOpanishatsu ca |

(Hence, through knowledge alone can liberation be attained, thus is settled in the Gita and all the Upanishads.)

— Ch. III introductory and to verse 11, Ch.XI

There are many scholars who have reservations in accepting the stotrams and slokas circulating in the name of "Sankara".

Actually I always wondered what was the need to see these 3 views as opposing to each other why couldnt there be an understanding that all 3 are inter related.

hi renu,
i can undeerstand ur view lah...its reality too....but some may say butter/buttermilk are already there....milk is out of butter....
they may feel like that..milk is like superiority.....they dont like milk....they like butter/buttermilk......they want destroy milk
for the sake of butter....

I do not know whence this analogy? Milk has to be boiled, cooled and some coagulating substance added to it for getting butter and buttermilk is the original milk minus the nourishing butter, which is like the peel of a banana, so to say. I doubt whether any dvaitin, or for that matter, any VA will take kindly to this analogy.

imho, the simple question like "what is truth" or "what is reality" has been answered in three different ways.

A- says you have the truth in you, try to realize that; all the rest which you feel to be true/real are only mirage-like.

VA - says the truth is in you, but you have to realize the reality in its holistic form, for which do X,Y,Z etc.

D - says reality is X; worship it and understand its true nature.

The above is my limited (and probably defective) understanding. Corrections welcomed.

Some scholars hold the view that sankara did not highlight bhakti as one of the means for attaining brahmajnAna. e.g., in Brih. Bhashya, 1,4-1, Sankara says,

"nahi vEdAntEshu brahmaadmavijnaanadanyat paramapurushArthasAdhanatvavEnAvagamyate"

(In the texts of the vedanta nothing other than the knowledge of the identity of the Self and Brahman is recognised as the means to the highest end of man.)

In the second verse of aparOkshAnubhUti, the AcArya clearly says, "the path to direct cognition (of brahman) is verily being expounded for the attainment of liberation. Those with virtue should practise this repeatedly."

Again the great AcArya says clearly,

tasmAt kEvalAd Eva jnAnAd mOkshaH
iti EshaH arthA niscitO geetAsu sarvOpanishatsu ca |

(Hence, through knowledge alone can liberation be attained, thus is settled in the Gita and all the Upanishads.)

— Ch. III introductory and to verse 11, Ch.XI

There are many scholars who have reservations in accepting the stotrams and slokas circulating in the name of "Sankara".

Metaphors and analogies have limitations.

One liners to communicate complex topics do have limitations as well and often tend to be wrong. (Therefore I am choosing to not comment on the one liners quoted here.)

There is a popular myth perhaps (and I am guessing) originating from reading of Sri Vivekananda's lectures that there are multiple paths to the same truth!
(I am not saying that Sri Vivekananda communicated that myth.)
This I think is the source of confusion between focus of teaching of Sri Sankara and Slokas attributed to him.

I have found in my life that when dealing with truth, if I confront many options it tended to be an indicator of inadequate understanding and knowledge of the situation on my part. In fact as more clarity sets in the apparent options tend to get resolved.

Let me use a different word to describe the four or more paths to truths that are commonly described by some modern teachers. The word is `unification'.
When one has understood the unified reality of a given situation then a particular manifestation will not appear as an isolated path.

Let me use an example from science. One can study magnetism – one of my friends spent most of his career in modeling and solving permanent magnet applications in the industry. There is no way to reach an understanding that light as an electromagnetic wave simply by study of magnets alone ("path"). One needs to study the phenomena of electricity and even more importantly understand the way the two subject matters are unified. Once one has a unified view it is easy to work on any of the paths (Electricity, or Magnetism in this instance) as a main focus.

A person calling themselves follower of Bhakthi is doing Karma. It is not possible to fall in love with someone or something ("Bhakthi") without thinking we understand that something. So true Bhakthi is not possible without understanding (path of Knowledge). I am not talking about belief or faith based Bhakthi often arising out of fear or desire for something. A deeper understanding can only be gained with proper pre-requisite and qualified teacher.

When multiple path issue is resolved apparent contradictions about items such as A & D will also get resolved. Similarly Sri Sankara's teaching will not seem contradictory to the Slokas attributed to him or others.

I think some good points by Shri.TKS. I agree with him when he uses the word "unification". Whereas either VA or A emphasizes different aspects for moksha, they need not contradict one another. They need to be view as one whole picture to resolve the apparent differences in them.

It would be interesting and enlightening and useful if the learned members contribute towards this end of how they work in tandem in explaining the nature of reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back