• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Basic questions from a non TB attending son's marriage to a TB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was concerned because my perception of Indians is that of a very cultured group with many formalities. I appreciate your sharing the information that I won't be expected to sit on the floor; I had visions of not being able to get up gracefully. Thank you also for explaining that I don't 'bow' down my head because I am the groom's Mother. Your advice about researching the meaning behind all the rituals is so accurate. I've been doing an inordinate amount of research regarding the ceremony and I love knowing the meaning of each ritual. It's such a meaningful ceremony and I'm really looking forward to it. In closing, I appreciate your telling me not to worry and to have a good time...that's excellent advice and I will definitely heed it.

Last edited:
Knowledge is empowering and this site has given me a wealth of information that I don't believe I would have gotten from reading literature. The essence of those who responded to me has been warm, and gracious; as a result, I can proceed gracefully. I appreciate your reiterating the sentiment; because it reinforces an important concept and alleviates the fear of the unknown.

Dear sir, this solves half your problem, if there is any.

Tamil Brahmins come in all variety from extremely conservative to extremely liberal. If you are dealing with an average middle-class TB family, then I would suggest you just follow your customs. The only thing I would avoid from what you have mentioned is hugs and kisses across gender -- even this will be alright if this is a TB family living in the U.S.

Take it easy, have fun lots of laughs, and best to the young couple.....

Cheers!

Every opinion based on scientific criticism I welcome. As to prejudices .. to which I have never made concessions ... “Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti.” -- Karl Marx

What a mature reply :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back