• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

can brahmin eat egg?

• Thread starter Thread starter S.Ramanathan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Culture has an impact on genes over a length of time. This is not a baseless statement. This has been proved scientifically by anthropologists beyond doubt. If your ancestors had chosen deliberately to follow a certain cultural practice(culture includes specific food habits too) and had followed it for a long time it would mean your genes have been influenced sufficiently by these practices."

as beautifully said by Shri Suraju sir, our mind gets attuned to these cultual practices that certain things become taboo or we do not venture into that. This has been my experience. at times, i used to wonder why certain things which are crazily sought after by some people, never used to interest me. The above inverted quotes explains that.

It is an undeniable fact that in ancient days brahmins did eat meat and even beef; in fact some of the Dharma Sastras stipulate particular type of meat for propitiating the pitrs at Sraaddha and the meat of rhinosceros is considered the best! But later law givers struck down these practices probably when the society and particularly the brahmins felt the need to follow the example set by the Jain ascetics, in order to obtain the approval of other castes.

Egg-eating does not figure in the Dharma Sastras (AFAIK) and so this must be a later practice in India. In any case if someone likes to eat eggs let him do so. Ultimately the brAhmanatva is to be decided by how honest and true to God a person is, not by the food he eats.

Rajasic, Tamasic etc., gradations of food are ideas, which are useful only to fool people, and our Swamijis and Gurujis regularly make use of such blah blah, but some of them may be relishing the very same prohibited items, who knows ;)

Mr. Sharma,
You proclaimed yourself to be a conservative Brahmin, and then expound theories that i against majority of this TB community.
Would you explain what qualifies you as a Brahmin?
Poking occasional fun at ourself is of the order, but insulting the majority is never a smart idea.

Last edited:
கால பைரவன்;133267 said:
JD is jack daniels, manufacturer of alcoholic products: Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey (I swear I do not drink :-))

Mrs.R is Mrs. Raghy, I think!

Dont worry sir..even I also do not drink but I am well aware of all the brands of alcohol.
You know when you travel from Bangalore airport to B'lore town one just needs to keep eyes open and watch the billboard advertisements and by the time we reach B'lore town we would know all the names of the types of alcohol in India.

But nothing beats the name Teachers Choice and Black Dog!!LOL

Last edited:
ஓர் அன்பர், திருப்பராய்துறை மகான் சுவாமி சித்பவானந்தரிடம்
"சுவாமி! அசைவம் சாப்பிடுவது பாவச்செயலா என்று கேட்டார்". உடனே சுவாமி, “நீங்கள் அசைவ உணவு சாப்பிடுவதன் மூலமாகத்தான் உயிர் வாழமுடியும். சைவ உணவினால் அது முடியாது என்று மருத்துவரின் கட்டாயமும் இருக்குமேயானால் அவ்வுணவை உட்கொள்ளலாம். பசிக்காகவோ, ருசிக்காகவோ சாப்பிட்டால் அது பாபச்செயல்தான்!” என்றார்.

நலம்கோரும்,
ப்ரஹ்மண்யன்,
பெங்களூர்.

Last edited:
Will someone tell me what is JD and who is Mrs.R...???? :confused:

Sri. Kala Bhairavan is right. JD is 'Jack Daniels, my favourite alcoholic drink. It is a bourbon, sold as whisky. Every now and then I get drunk with that.

Mrs.R is Mrs. Raghy.... I am constantly drunk on account of Mrs.R. with her love.....

Cheers!

Dear SaRMA61,

YOUR POST #28:

It is an undeniable fact that in ancient days brahmins did eat meat and even beef; in fact some of the Dharma Sastras stipulate particular type of meat for propitiating the pitrs at Sraaddha and the meat of rhinosceros is considered the best! But later law givers struck down these practices probably when the society and particularly the brahmins felt the need to follow the example set by the Jain ascetics, in order to obtain the approval of other castes
Why is it that you are not prepared to credit brahmins of that time with the knowledge that non-veg food encourages tamasic and rajasic behavior while you appear to be readily granting that knowledge to jains of that time. Brahmins have to be discredited with whatever they did and did not do. We understand from which stable you are coming.

and so this must be a later practice in India. In any case if someone likes to eat eggs let him do so. Ultimately the brAhmanatva is to be decided by how honest and true to God a person is, not by the food he eats.

Brahminhood is decided by behavior. Behavior is decided by what is eaten. Simple logical deduction would demand that you should be careful as to what you put in in order to get good output. Garabage in-garbage out.

Rajasic, Tamasic etc., gradations of food are ideas, which are useful only to fool people, and our Swamijis and Gurujis regularly make use of such blah blah, but some of them may be relishing the very same prohibited items, who knows

Fools need not bother about all this because they are happy in their own world of foolishness. So they need no input whatsoever about rajasic and tamasic behavior.They need not listen any blah blah either- whether it comes from swamijis or from the pulpit in a church.

Dear Raghy,

Many times when I travel in train Bread Omlet was served hot and I used to take it. Recently some of my relatives said that If I take egg/nonveg I can not get the benefit of amavasa tharpanam and other religious ceremanies done by me. Hence I want to know if it is correct I can avoid taking egg.

Dear Raghy,

Many times when I travel in train Bread Omlet was served hot and I used to take it. Recently some of my relatives said that If I take egg/nonveg I can not get the benefit of amavasa tharpanam and other religious ceremanies done by me. Hence I want to know if it is correct I can avoid taking egg.

Dear sir,

Why are you seeking the fruits of your action(benefits) of doing amavasa tharpanam/religious ceremonies?

Wouldn't it better if you do it as your duty without thinking of the benefits?

Didnt Lord Krishna say :
Karmanye Vadhikaraste, Ma phaleshu kadacana,Ma Karma Phala Hetur Bhurmatey Sangostva Akarmani

I agree renu mom. I meant that whether the purpose of doing the karmas will be defeated If I take egg/nonveg.

I agree renu mom. I meant that whether the purpose of doing the karmas will be defeated If I take egg/nonveg.

Sir,

I feel it all depends on ones Svadharma and that decides if the purpose of doing any karma is defeated or not.

After all even Non Brahmins/Non Vegetarians also preform religious ceremonies and Pitr Karyams.

Kings of the past were known to preform all these too and did get the benefits of a higher place in heaven or material gain in the world.

If ones Svadharma is followed that everything else falls in place.

As we all know now its the Svadharma for a person who falls under the Brahmin classification to be a consuming Sattva food.

So for all practical purposes eggs should not be in list of the food he/she consumes.

Dear Ramanathan,

Your post #34:

I give you a straight answer.

1. When you do tharpanam you have to do with sradhdha. it is not to be done as a mere ritual or with resentment or fear.

2. Rajasic and thamasic food if taken would affect this sraddha. Lack of sradhdha can take several forms. It can be a lingering doubt in your mind as to the purpose and usefulness of tharpanam, an incipient disrespect towards your manes because they are making a demand on your time and other resources, or it could be a desire to hurry up so that you save time for other beneficial purposes etc.,

3. If you avoid rajasic and tamasic foods you will be free of these deficiency causing impact on your satva guna and will be able to perform your karma with absolute devotion thinking about only that as a sort of yajna that you perform.

So try to avoid tamasic food stuff totally. Most important of all, even if you are unable to completely avoid the food dont give up and allow self pity to take over. Keep trying.

Cheers.

It is an undeniable fact that in ancient days brahmins did eat meat and even beef; in fact some of the Dharma Sastras stipulate particular type of meat for propitiating the pitrs at Sraaddha and the meat of rhinosceros is considered the best! But later law givers struck down these practices probably when the society and particularly the brahmins felt the need to follow the example set by the Jain ascetics, in order to obtain the approval of other castes.
Egg-eating does not figure in the Dharma Sastras (AFAIK) and so this must be a later practice in India. In any case if someone likes to eat eggs let him do so. Ultimately the brAhmanatva is to be decided by how honest and true to God a person is, not by the food he eats.

Rajasic, Tamasic etc., gradations of food are ideas, which are useful only to fool people, and our Swamijis and Gurujis regularly make use of such blah blah, but some of them may be relishing the very same prohibited items, who knows ;)

Sri Sarma ji,

I am a little intrigued reading your above post since I had perceived you as a more traditional person.

Besides that, it is being proved also by scientific evidence (which many in today's world demand ) that certain foods create body changes .

For example, always it is urged by elders that one should not consume onion and garlic since they will disturb one's mind from the spiritual path he wants to pursue
Recently I read that scientifically it has been proved that onion and garlic consumption increase the male hormone level testosterone .
Advice from elders has always been based on their deep understanding of what they talk about.
Your reference to some Swamijis etc is not called for.Of course there may be many self-proclaimed neo-Swamijis who may go astray but the posting conveys a very disrespectful reference to all Swamijis though not technically

Dear Raghy,

Sri. Ramanathan, Greetings.

I am the least qualified in this forum to make any suggestions about your query.

These are my opinons only. If you a doubt, even an iota of a doubt about your food habits in respect to its crossing your faith based belief, then you are the best person to decide. Do you want to perform the tharpanams and other karmas with a guilty feeling at the back of your mind; or do you want to feel guilty everytime you consume bread and omelette? That is your choice.

In the case of melette, I saw that omelette served in Sapthapathy express. I wouldn't bother with that. That was the kind of unhealthy egg I was talking about; so much antibiotics pumped in that bird! That omelette is not worth carrying any guilty feelings!

Kindly don't mistake me; it is not that I don't eat egg or emelrette... sometimes i do. Only the eggs are antibiotic free, from free range chicken, and produced in an organic fashion. Thay are certified and costs a lot more too. I am writing this information, because I don't want to paint a wrong picture about myself.

If I am following orthodox belief and all the rituals and karmas, I wouldn't eat eggs either. But I am not orthodox.

Cheers!

Because of??? :decision: In spite of ??? :)

Sri. Kala Bhairavan is right. JD is 'Jack Daniels, my favourite alcoholic drink. It is a bourbon, sold as whisky. Every now and then I get drunk with that.

Mrs.R is Mrs. Raghy.... I am constantly drunk on account of Mrs.R. with her love.....

Cheers!

First I thought JD was actually JP standing for Jala Pushpam.

But it did not make nay sense! :confused:

And again with so many lady "R" s in the forum who was that Mrs. R ???

Thank you for the clarification. :)

Ne need to swear! I believe you! :becky:

கால பைரவன்;133267 said:
JD is jack daniels, manufacturer of alcoholic products: Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey (I swear I do not drink :-))

Mrs.R is Mrs. Raghy, I think!

First I thought JD was actually JP standing for Jala Pushpam.

But it did not make nay sense! :confused:

And again with so many lady "R" s in the forum who was that Mrs. R ???

Thank you for the clarification. :)

Ne need to swear! I believe you! :becky:

Dear VR Ji,

After drinking JD one can get to see Kha Puspham(Flowers in the Sky)!!

Cheers!

Was this post written after few JD, Or are you worried that Mrs. R can see your post? LOL

Was this post written after few JD, Or are you worried that Mrs. R can see your post? LOL

Sri.Prasad, Greetings.

No; I didn't have the luxury of few JD when I wrote that message. My break starts ( just one day break though) only on thursday; can't go near JD until then.

So far Mrs.R hasn't trusted me for anything! So, it doesn't matter if she reads my messages. ( by the way, I have just one password for everything.. my email, my forums, my employment... anything.Everyone in my family knows my email!;) So, no surprises!...

Cheers!

Dear Members,

Something more interesting that I read as under and I felt like sharing with you all..

In this material world certain acts are being performed naturally and many living beings are killed about which we can not even think of. We have so many organisms in our intestines and they get killed up naturally. Even by breathing we are killing so many microbes. So many microbes are killed while cooking. And eating vegetables is also killing.

In this world there is the law that one living being is food for another living being.jivo jivasya jivanam"One living being is food for another." We simply have to take what is allotted to us by the Lord as our quota and offer it to Him first before eating. This will free us from the sin of killing. [greenyajna-siñöasinaù santomucyante sarva-kilbiñaiùbhunjate te tv agham papaye pacanty atma-karaëat The devotees of the Lord are released from all kinds of sins because they eat food, which is offered first for sacrifice. Others, who prepare food for personal sense enjoyment, verily eat only sin. The Lord has allotted human beings to take fruits, milk products, vegetables, and grains provided we offer them first to Him before eating. We cannot actually take meat, fish, and eggs because these have not been allotted to us as our quota..........

A.V.V.RAJAGOPAL-COIMBATORE-TAMILNADU

Sri. Rajagopal, greetings.

I refer to your message in post #48. that message is generalising everyone in the world rather than restrictricting the discussion to Brahmins. If it is generalised, the whole message would be on slippery slope. the reason is.....
In this world there is the law that one living being is food for another living being.jivo jivasya jivanam"One living being is food for another." We simply have to take what is allotted to us by the Lord as our quota and offer it to Him first before eating. This will free us from the sin of killing. [greenyajna-siñöasinaù santomucyante sarva-kilbiñaiùbhunjate te tv agham papaye pacanty atma-karaëat The devotees of the Lord are released from all kinds of sins because they eat food, which is offered first for sacrifice. Others, who prepare food for personal sense enjoyment, verily eat only sin.
.. that is the concept of 'Halal meat' for Muslims. You just explained the exact defenition for 'Halal' under which all the animals as directed in Quran can be killed as a sacrifice. That same thing applies to 'Kosher meat' too. Brahmins ear vegetarian food not due to 'Lord's directions'; they tend to eat vegetarian food, albiet following Jains example, only to eat 'satvic food'. But then, just by eating vegetarian food only, one may not become satvic; it takes more than just the food.

Cheers!

Dear Ramanathan, Dr Renuka, Shiv KC

To take things in a lighter vein, eating anything that "walks" or "crawls" or "flies" or "swims" by itself is
Non Veg. An egg doesn't walk / crawl / fly / swim by itself. No plant or tree does these either !

Quoting the Rig Veda - "Jeevam Jeevasya Bhojanam" - one form of life is food for another form of life.

Ram - the choice is entirely yours - no dictum as Brahmins can do this and cannot do that.

Incidentally, I just had a friend's daughter from France - staying with us for 3 months - sent from the
University of Paris - doing her Masters in Tamil. Her dedication and commitment was such that she not only
learnt the language [ her Tamil is probably better than mine now - my wife bailed me out very often ], she learnt
a lot of other things too - from walking barefooted at home to eating with fingers to the usage of water [instead
of paper] in the toilet to being exclusively on a vegetarian diet. She relished all vegetables from colocasia to bitter gourd!
She never once visited a Mc Donald's or a KFC, and never once had problems with her digestion, though she initially
found the food a bit spicy. 'The Lady of Home' made the necessary adjustments and things were just fine.

Between Jan and Apr this year, she actually put on 4 Kg ! Her Father [ we worked together in the early 90's in
erstwhile Yugoslavia ] actually accused us of having 'pampered' her !

On a personal front, I've gone on without food for days in some lousy locations that I was posted in, because
no veg food was available.

So, Ram - it's just your personal choice, no taboos.

Guruvethunai
Yay Yem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back