• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

can brahmin eat egg?

• Thread starter Thread starter S.Ramanathan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is my view, food habits depend on one's desire and taste. We discussed about this many times in our Forum under different threads. To the best of my knowledge there is no religious prohibition against taking Eggs, or other non-vegetarian food, in our scriptures. How ever Brahmins adopt Satvik food, which do not encourage taking meat, certain vegetables, roots etc. After the advent of Jainism the primacy of Ahimsa found a place in Brahmin ethos. As Mr. Rajagopal has said "jivo jivasya jivanam"(One living being is food for another). However we can select the food obtained by least harmful method for our survival.

Regarding Eggs, I wish the protagonists of eating egg see the conditions in which the "vegetarian eggs" are "produced" in the modern hatcheries , where thousands of hens are cramped up in "battery cages - in the egg laying factory" for years to produce the "vegetarian eggs"
I request our members to open the following website to see more about these hatcheries. Please note that the pictures may be disturbing:
The Chicken - All Creatures Animal Exploitation Gallery
http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/chicken.htm

Last edited:
Thank you dear anand manohar for not prohibiting me from eating egg. My only question is whether taking egg occasionally will hamper my doing karma or not? As some said in another post that even at midnight he do sandhyavandhanam and observe the nityakarmas of brahmin. If once you fail in doing karma whether it can be set right by observing nityakarma in future?

We can justify anything if we try hard enough.
The miners who were trapped for 45 days underground, were accused of cannibalizing their dead comrades.
I can not think of more horrendous situation, but who are we to judge others, we were not in similar situation.

My English teacher once told me "that if you want to justify a meaning of a word, you need to find the right dictionary".

For those interested, instead of an egg, there was a chick in hen. If that becomes regular, the question raised in the thread will not arise.

Hi Ramanathan,

When man started as a hunter gatherer he just ate raw meat. He bashed his neighbor and dragged away the woman living with him. But then he has moved from that quite far. If a thousand years ago, brahmins as a homogeneous group of people have consciously moved away from meat eating (meat eating includes egg eating also because egg is just the fetus of a chicken) to avoid thamasic and rajasic gunas so that they can direct their energies towards higher goals in life, why should the brahmins of 21st century move back to meat eating? Who would like to become a hunter gatherer again?

Cheers.

brahmins as a homogeneous group of people have consciously moved away from meat eating

??????

Not taking anything away from vegetarianism, but surely you know of the fish eating Saraswat Brahmins and the goat butchering Bengali Brahmins?

??????

Not taking anything away from vegetarianism, but surely you know of the fish eating Saraswat Brahmins and the goat butchering Bengali Brahmins?

Dear Biswa,

Only the Gowda Saraswats of the South eat fish.
Punjabi Saraswats Brahmins are pure vegetarians.

Dear Ram

Ref your post #52 - I am not qualified in any way to either permit you to or prohibit you from eating eggs -
you got me all wrong here!

As Sri Brahmanyam is his post # 51 rightly says, this is a topic much debated under various threads that
tends to become a repetitive "Rewind & Replay" of an old song.

Simple philosophy that I try to follow is to not do anything today, which I may regret tomorrow. Everybody is
great in finding perfect solutions, hind-sight. It is fore-sight that we lack. If something pricks your conscience
even to the slightest extent , just don't do it - be it anything, alcohol / non veg / tobacco / women / gambling /
(a thing that seems to bug you ) EGGS!

Guruvethunai
Yay Yem

Dear Ram

Ref your post #52 - I am not qualified in any way to either permit you to or prohibit you from eating eggs -
you got me all wrong here!

As Sri Brahmanyam is his post # 51 rightly says, this is a topic much debated under various threads that
tends to become a repetitive "Rewind & Replay" of an old song.

Simple philosophy that I try to follow is to not do anything today, which I may regret tomorrow. Everybody is
great in finding perfect solutions, hind-sight. It is fore-sight that we lack. If something pricks your conscience
even to the slightest extent , just don't do it - be it anything, alcohol / non veg / tobacco / women / gambling /
(a thing that seems to bug you ) EGGS!

Guruvethunai
Yay Yem

To me I feel if we want to do something just do it.
I am not saying that we need to go totally out of control but we shouldnt have regrets too much even if we indulge in anything that is not "Kosher"
After all maximum it will affect our Karma and even if we land in hell so what ??

Hi Biswa,

Okay I change my sentence:

"brahmins as a homogeneous group of people (with a few exceptional sub groups who remained meat eaters for their own reasons) have consciously moved away from meat eating"

Is it okay? Bengali brahmins had a lot of fresh water fishes in their land and so could not give it up for economic and other reasons. I know many who are consciously moving away from fish eating habit. I do not know anything about GSB other than what my friend Prabhu Desai, a Maharashtrian GSB, says. He says they are vegetarians.

Cheers.

The subject is stale or repulsive. From the pre-vedic periods to date the wiorld has undergone many changes. Our oldest cousin, Adam, might have eaten raw veg and leaves. Had he eaten any poisonous plant or its products we would not be here. TB people had to starve for lack of food or rituals like fasting for days on a stretch. It would have gradually compelled them to look after themselves better. Mostly it must be the love of their body which would have edged them on. Slowly things have always been changing. Building up body became a business and some Brahmins would have been attracted. Nehru family, Brahmins, switched over to NV were perhaps compelled by poor health problems and maybe attracted by western culture with lot of money. Medical fraternity came up with ideas that Veg eating is good for health. This might have helped many to turn vegans. APJ is a vegetarian. It is a question of attitude and belief in one's will power to change. You need as much will power to eat NV as to change to pure veg. Now veg or NV, things have changed, the present generation lives on fast food. Let me pose a question to neo NV campaigners whether they will eat anything that Chinese do. I know more people will hesitate. Why? If you are a NV what the Chinese are eating? One should work upon their own mind setup. Tell me meat is available because there are eaters, or there are eaters hence meat is available. One man's food is another man's poison. If you think you will die if you do not eat NV, better eat NV. Anyway whether you are vegan or NV, you have to die. The idea is one has reform himself and the rest immaterial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back