• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

dr. ramakrishnan

Status
Not open for further replies.
More Tamil Brahmins to emulate

Dear Sri Venkataramani:

You missed out the great mathematical genius, Ramanujam. Of course, there is no Nobel Prize for Mathematics. The committee do award one called Abel Prize, which was awarded to Srinivasa Varadhan in 2007.

Dr Venky should be an inspiration for our community, particularly our youngsters. We should not float on our laurels and should encourage our youngsters to emulate Dr.Venky. Sir C.V.Raman, Dr.Chandrasekar and Dr.Venky have done a great service to the humanity.

Only Sir C.V.Raman did his work from India and got the award. The other two have to go out of India to achieve their goals.

Still India is not doing fundamental research which is a very sad thing. Recently when IIT professors went on strike, some articles appeared in the newspapers that IITs have not produced a single nobel prize winner.

It is a sad state of affairs here.

Dear Sri Venkataramani:

You missed out the great mathematical genius, Ramanujam. Of course, there is no Nobel Prize for Mathematics. The committee do award one called Abel Prize, which was awarded to Srinivasa Varadhan in 2007.

Sri Silverfox ji,

Ramanujam is greatest no doubt about it. I was quoting only nobel prize winners and hence missed out Ramanujam.

Srinivasa Varadhan's contribution is also amazing.

S. R. Srinivasa Varadhan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for highlighting Sri Srinivasa Varadhan's achievements.

As a society, we should honour such great people from our community. Most of the people are in USA. Could you please organise something.

All the best

I made an analysis of internationally acclaimed great scientists of our community.

1. Mathematics Ramanujam
2. Sir C.V.Raman
3. Dr.Chandra Sekhar
4. Dr.Srinivasa Varadhan
5.Dr.Venkataraman Ramakrishnan

All the above belong to erstwhile Chola Nadu.

Tirunvelveli belt has produced lot eminent industrialists including TVS, Simpson, India Cements, Chemplast, Esun group.

Palghat belt has produced lot eminent bureaucrats like T.N.Lakshminarayanan, T.N.Seshan and many others.

Is there anything associated with gene to have similar patterns.

Can anybody enlighten more on this.

All the best

KRS:-"Interesting interview within this context"

P.Radhakrishnan's views are very biased.It is just an opinion and NOT a Scientific conclusion.Dr.C.V.Raman,his own elder brother's son Dr.Chandrasekar Subramaniam,Dr.Venkatraman.R. are neither Aristocrats nor had any other influence in the Society,before they won Noble Prize.Their parents are just middle class working very hard to earn their livelyhood.In fact Dr.Venkatraman's father Prof.C.V.R.was a very hard worker and very hard task master.He would in the lab early morning at 7.00.A.M. and go home only at 9.00.p.m.He loved only a hard working student irrespetive of caste, creed, community, state, linguistic group etc.His pet students Antony and Mohamed Abdul Bari would vouch-safe this

Dear Somayaji:
Yes, I also read that article and I see what you are saying. However, do you think maybe he was using the word 'aristrocrat' not in the true sense of the word but used it as honorific perhaps?

KRS:-"Interesting interview within this context"
P.Radhakrishnan's views are very biased.It is just an opinion and NOT a Scientific conclusion.Dr.C.V.Raman,his own elder brother's son Dr.Chandrasekar Subramaniam,Dr.Venkatraman.R. are neither Aristocrats nor had any other influence in the Society,before they won Noble Prize.Their parents are just middle class working very hard to earn their livelyhood.In fact Dr.Venkatraman's father Prof.C.V.R.was a very hard worker and very hard task master.He would in the lab early morning at 7.00.A.M. and go home only at 9.00.p.m.He loved only a hard working student irrespetive of caste, creed, community, state, linguistic group etc.His pet students Antony and Mohamed Abdul Bari would vouch-safe this

Dear Sri Somayaji Ji,

So, from what you are saying, it is enough to come from a middle class family as long as you put in very long hours of hard work to acheive what these Nobel Laureates have acheived? (I purposefully did not say 'to win the Noble Prize').

Regards,
KRS

Should we 'own' him?

Should we 'own' him?
Every scientist is "common" to the entire world.
No scientist [ any achiever for that matter ] can be owned by a community, caste, religion, country.
Instead let us try to recognize the 'potentials' in the budding 'brahmin children', help him / her by all means [ through the COMMUNITY ], let us see them achieve, and then claim "Oh! He / She is a Brahmin".

Dear Dr. K. Srinivasan Ji,

How can we 'own' anyone, when we can not even own our own children?

We are just trying to celebrate the fact that a soul born amongst our community/culture has acheived something significant. This is a very natural human emotion.

At the same time, of course, we recognize that this soul is a gift to humanity, as in many unrecognized ways, we all are.

Regards,
KRS

Nobel laureate Venkatraman Ramakrishnan has expressed disenchantment with people from India "bothering" him "clogging" up his e-mail box and dubbed as "strange" their sudden urge to reach out to him

Inbox flooded, Nobel lauerate Venkatraman complains

We as Indians have this habit of trying to “share someone’s limelight”…

So here goes

Yesterday’s nobody is today’s favorite
Queue up or suck up a matter of right
More than who’s successful we are elated
Do anything to show we are related

Gush of love springs in our bosom
Cloying love to point of ad nauseam
Force your way in, what’s the fuss
After all isn’t he the one amongst us

Individual success is a national resource
Share it willingly or demand it perforce
Cling on to him, never leaving his sight
Lest we lose even a bit of limelight

Dear Hariharan

Amazing poetry. May be you should try sending to Mr. Venky but not by email. And the sentence below

cannot say better than this.

It came in Indian express also. People like this will think everything in a different manner, I think. See we people are taking this as a milestone and get excited. Kunjuppu sir created a thread also for this person. But he simply refuses everything. For me, he is just a scientist. He neither have love for nation nor has love for god-faith. Let he too can be consider just like others. (as per his wish). "Thalaila thukki vechu kondada enda avasiyamum illai"

durga,

please do not be so harsh on dr venky.

he may be a very private person. all of a sudden, he is deluged by emails from folks whom he does not know.

it is ok in india to do this. in the west, it is not.

also, i do not know, how many of those emails have a ulterior motive ie ask dr venky for a portion of his nobel purse. there are many scams hiding under the shadow of charity and religion.

dr venky appears to have a kind heart. he has gone on record supporting rehabilitation of ghodra victims. so it does not seem right to say that dr venky has neither love for the nation or god-faith.

it is not a fair assessment, i think.

re my opening a thread here, it is meant for us. not for dr. venky.

re தலையில் தூக்கி கொண்டாடறது, it is our weakness. not venky's.

all in all, i think, he has behaved like a gentleman. we, as indians, have done the needful nation-pride stuff. now it is time to stop and move on.

durga,

we, as indians, have done the needful nation-pride stuff. now it is time to stop and move on.

Ok Kunjuppu sir. I agree with you. I was in a much depressed condition after seeing the article in today paper. I just want to write about this morning itself. It was boiling like that within me. Now it got diminished. As you said he might be even a gentleman. Let he go in his way without our disturbance... Anyhow my wishes for that scientist.

வெங்கட்ராமன் சிதம்பரத்தில் பிறந்த சுத்தமான தமிழ் பிராமணன்.கண்டிப்பாய் பிராமணர்கள் எல்லோரும் பெருமைப்பட வேண்டிய விஷயம்.முதலில் இந்தியனாக, பிறகு ஹிந்துவாக , பிறகு பிராமணனாக, பிறகு தமிழனாகப் பெருமை சேர்த்த விதத்தை நாம் பாராட்டித் தான் ஆக வேண்டும்.இந்தியா 125 கோடி ஜனத்தொகை கொண்ட நாடு.அவரின் இளமைக் காலத்தில் 60 கோடி இருந்திருக்கலாம்.ஜாதி, மத துவேஷத்தைத் தாண்டி,இந்தப் பிராமணன் பெருமை சேர்த்திருக்கிறார்.

நோபல் பரிசு பெற்றவுடனேயே கேம்பிரிட்ஜ் பல்கலைக்கழகத்துக்குத் தான் நன்றி சொல்லி இருக்கிறார்.புரிகிறது.இந்தியன் எக்ஸ்பிரஸில் வந்த விமர்சனங்களில், ஒரு சிலர் இந்தியாவிற்கு அதனால் என்ன பெருமை என்று கேட்டிருக்கின்றனர்!

அவர் இந்தியாவில் படிப்பினைத் தொடர்ந்திருந்தால் அவ்வளவு சீக்கிரம் இந்தப் பெருமையை அடைந்திருப்பாரா என்பது கேள்விக் குறி தான்!

மொழிகளில் ஆங்கிலத்தில் புலமை பெற்றிருந்தால் அது ஒரு கௌரவம்.திரைப்படங்கள் ஆஸ்கார் வென்றால் அது கௌரவம்.அது போல் இவரைப் போன்ற அறிவு ஜீவிகள் நோபல் பரிசு வென்றால் அது கௌரவம்.இந்தியாவில் அடிப்படைக் கல்வி படித்து முடித்தவுடன் அடுத்த இலக்கு அமெரிக்கா என்று ஆகி விட்டது.

அதனாலேயே மற்றவர்களெல்லாம் அறிவு ஜீவிகள் இல்லை என்று கணக்கிட முடியாது தான்.அவர்களுக்கு அந்த வாய்ப்பு இல்லை.அல்லது, மேலை நாடுகள் ஒருவனைக் கௌரவிப்பதனாலேயே அது கௌரவமும் கிடையாது.

இது காலத்தால், எல்லோருடைய தலையிலும் திணிக்கப்பட்ட அடையாளமும் கூட.

இசையமைப்பாளர்,ரகுமான் ஆஸ்கார் விருது பெற்றதும், அதனை இந்தியாவிற்கு அர்ப்பணிக்கிறேன் என்று சொன்னதாக நினைவு.(அல்லது அதற்கு முன் பெற்ற விருதோ?)

அதே போல், இந்த வெங்கட்ராமன் எடுத்தவுடனேயே அமெரிக்காவில் நுழைந்து விடவில்லை.இந்தியாவில் அடித்தளம் அமைத்துக் கொண்டு பின் அங்கிருந்து தான் இந்த அங்கீகாரம் பெற்றிட முயன்று அதில் வெற்றியும் கண்டிருக்கிறார்.

வாழ்த்துக்கள்.அதே சமயம், இவர் இந்தியாவையும் நன்றியுடன் நினைத்துக் கொள்வார் என்று நம்பி வைக்கிறேன்.

Being a Chidhambaram born Bramin, let me congratulate him thorugh this forum first.First, he is of Indian origin,then a hindu, then a bramin and then a tamilan. Let us remember this.

On attaining this feat, he immediately thanked cambridge university.Understood. But let us hope he does recognise and acknowledge his mother country , India, for laying foundation to achieve this.

India's current population is 125 crores and in his student days, may be 60 crores. Still crossing over all the hurdles and discrimination , be it caste, religion or anything, he has achieved elsewhere.

People feel proud to attain proficiency and expertise in English, film makers to win Oscar, and the learned this Nobel Prize. They vie to rush to America, once they finish their basic education in India.All the products of west.

Whether, it is true recognition or not, just because other under privileged could not get this western product, it does not mean they are less Intelligent; for they may be deprived of their due opportunities.

Still, given that, being a bramin I feel proud of him.

Like A R Rahman, I just wish Venkatraman dedicates this Nobel Prize to India, his origin, where he did his primaries!

Congrats!

நோபல் பரிசு பெற்ற வெங்கட்ராமன் சமீபத்தில் தனக்கு வரும்பாராட்டு மின் அஞ்சல்களைக் கண்டு அலுத்துக் கொண்டது, வேதனை தருகிறது.அதை அநாகரீகமாக வெளிப்படுத்தியது எனக்கு எரிச்சலைத் தான் தந்தது.

லட்சக்கணக்கான இந்தியர்கள் காலம் காலமாக கடல் கடந்து போய்க் கொண்டு தானிருக்கிறார்கள்.சிலர் இது போல், கௌரவம் பெறுகிறார்கள்.இதனை ஒட்டி, பாராட்டு மழை குவியத்தான் செய்யும்.கொஞ்ச நாளைக்கு அப்படித் தான் இருக்கும்.

ஆனால், வெங்கட்ராமன் என்னமோ இவரை வைத்து இந்தியா விளம்பரம் செய்வது போல் நடந்து கொண்ட விதம் அல்பமாக இருக்கிறது.அப்படி மின் அஞ்சல் அனுப்பியவர்களில் சிலர் தவறான நோக்கத்துடன் நடந்து கொண்டிருந்தாலும், பொய் உரைத்தாலும், அதை நாகரீகமாக, பதவிசாக சுட்டிக் காட்டி குறிப்பால் உணர வைத்திருக்கலாம்.

ஆனால், நாமெல்லாம் இந்தியர்கள்.நமது வேர் இந்தியாவில் தான் இருக்கிறது.இவர் விஞ்ஞானியாக வளர்ந்ததற்கான அடித்தளம் அங்கே தான் போடப்பட்டது.

நானும் பிராமண குலத்தைச் சேர்ந்தவள் தான்.அதற்காகப் பிராமண குலத்திற்கு அடையாளாமான கர்நாடக இசை, சம்ஸ்கிருதம், நுனி நாக்கில் ஆங்கிலம்,தமிழ்நாடு என்றால் இளக்காரம், அல்லது இந்தியா என்றால் ஏதோ குப்பையும், அடிவயிற்றைக் குமட்டிக் கொண்டு வரும் ஊழலும், மதவாதமும், சாதிச் சண்டையும், அரசியலும் மட்டுமல்ல.அப்படிப் பார்த்தால், இந்த வெங்கி சிலாகிக்கும் அமெரிக்கா அப்படி ஒன்றும் புத்தனல்ல.எந்த விதத்திலும்!

என்ன படித்து என்ன?என்ன விருது வாங்கி சாமானிய இந்தியர்களான எங்களைப் போன்றவர்களுக்கு என்ன?யாருக்குக் குறை இல்லை?இருந்தாலும், தாய் நாட்டை விட்டுக் கொடுத்து அன்னிய மண்ணில் தன்னுடையப் புத்திசாலித்தனத்தை வெளிப்படுத்திய விதம் அருவருப்பாய்த் தான் இருக்கிறது.

என்ன தான் தில்லிக்கு ராஜாவானாலும் தல்லிக்குப் பிள்ளை தானே!

மகா கேவலமாக நடந்து கொண்டிருக்கிறார்,.

ஒரு இந்தியனாக, சக பிராமணனாகா நான் பார்க்கும் போது, வெங்கட்ராமனை நினைத்து அவமானப்படுகிறேன்!

முதலில் இந்தியன்..பிறகு தான் ஹிந்து, பிராமணன் எல்லாம்!

Gist:

The way in which Venkatraman, has reacted to the email episode , has belittled his feat!

He may be a king but still he is a child to his mother!

His degrading of India, or his failure to dedicate his feat to his mother land, shows how cheap his mentality is.

He could have pointed out or otherwise dealt with this diplomatically commensurate to his stature.Failure to do so,constrains me to feel ashamed of this fellow bramin.

Nobel laureate Venkatraman Ramakrishnan has expressed disenchantment with people from India "bothering" him "clogging" up his e-mail box and dubbed as "strange" their sudden urge to reach out to him

Inbox flooded, Nobel lauerate Venkatraman complains

So here goes

Yesterday’s nobody is today’s favorite
Queue up or suck up a matter of right
More than who’s successful we are elated
Do anything to show we are related

Gush of love springs in our bosom
Cloying love to point of ad nauseam
Force your way in, what’s the fuss
After all isn’t he the one amongst us

Individual success is a national resource
Share it willingly or demand it perforce
Cling on to him, never leaving his sight
Lest we lose even a bit of limelight

Fantastic Shri Hari ji :clap2: Delightful poetry as always. God willing, hope Dr.Venkataraman will read this poem online on this very forum.

Dear Narayanee ji,

Definitely Dr.Venkataraman has not degraded India in any manner. It must really frustrating for him to be suddenly filled up with so many mails / emails and people looking to make associations with him. Imagine if you did not even study in Annamalai University and somebody claims to you that you did. He did not expect to win the prize and the attention he is getting is perhaps too much for him handle. Let us respect his privacy and leave him alone. We take pride in him because we love him. Does not mean we must disturb him or expect him to handle us.

Regards.

Last edited:
Dr Venkatraman Ramakrishnan

Dr Venkatraman Ramakrishnan the Nobel Laurette himself responded to the question of Nationalism in simple words in his interview to CNN-IBN

"CNN-IBN: Do you feel a particular pride as an Indian?
Dr Venkatraman Ramakrishnan: I'm not big on nationalism. I like people better than nations as such. But I'm deeply aware of my Indian roots and I'm deeply grateful to my teachers."

Though born in Chidambaram Tamil Nadu, he had his education from primary level in Vadodara Gujarat and higher Education in USA and did his research work as a senior research fellow at Trinity College, Cambridge,UK, when he won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry. He is now a citizen of USA. Scientists and researchers do not belong to any particular region, community or Country. They belong to the humanity like the results of their researches.

Regards,
Brahmanyan..

An e-mail, as if from Dr.Ramakrishnan
Hi all
I am extremely happy to see the overwhelming response and the emotional reaction from my fellow Indians, Tamilians, and Brahmins. With bowed head, i accept it all. I understand you all, and at the same, i have a request to you.
I value my time much, would like to devote as much to scientific work. In the pool of your congratulation mails, an important mail may pass unnoticed. So, please stop mailing me.
In addition, I am not a chief minister, expecting this much of praises. I am a simple man, who has just done my duty.

Thanks and love to all.
RV

An e-mail, as if from Dr.Ramakrishnan
Hi all
I am extremely happy to see the overwhelming response and the emotional reaction from my fellow Indians, Tamilians, and Brahmins. With bowed head, i accept it all. I understand you all, and at the same, i have a request to you.
I value my time much, would like to devote as much to scientific work. In the pool of your congratulation mails, an important mail may pass unnoticed. So, please stop mailing me.
In addition, I am not a chief minister, expecting this much of praises. I am a simple man, who has just done my duty.

Thanks and love to all.
RV

well, atleast we hit on one good reason NOT to win the nobel prize.

oops.. dr srini, you gave my secret away :)

Dr Venkatraman Ramakrishnan: I'm not big on nationalism. I like people better than nations as such. But I'm deeply aware of my Indian roots and I'm deeply grateful to my teachers."

The above statement is sufficient and let us not go further deep in to anything

All the best

The above statement is sufficient and let us not go further deep in to anything

All the best

"Do these people have no consideration? It is OK to take pride in the event, but why bother me?" the 57-year-old Indian-American scientist wondered in an email interview.

"There are also people who have never bothered to be in touch with me for decades who suddenly feel the urge to connect. I find this strange," said Ramakrishnan, who shared this year's Nobel Prize for Chemistry with two others.
Nobel laureate Venkatraman miffed at emails from India!

நண்பர் வெங்கட்ரமணி சப்பைக்கட்டு கட்டுவது போல் தெரிகிறது.வெங்கி மெத்தப் படித்து விட்டார்.அதனால் தான் கிறுக்குத் தனமாகப் பேசுகிறாரோ என்று கேட்காமல், அதை அத்துடன் விட்டு விட வேண்டும் என்று நண்பர் சொல்வது,நகைச்சுவையாக இருக்கிறது...

I think, Venkatramaniji backstops this Venki, who turned eccentric , because he won the Nobel .Instead of questioning his stand, our friend wants to brush this garbage under the carpet. It is a comedy.

I am also bramin. But I just feel disgusted about Venki.Let the bramins foster courage to call the spade as spade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back