• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is India gearing for a Culture Shift?

prasad1

An Indian farmer was denied entry to a Bengaluru mall for wearing a dhoti and shirt, prompting widespread criticism and a one-week closure of the mall.​

The recent incident in Bengaluru, where a farmer was prohibited from entering a mall for wearing traditional attire, has sparked a significant backlash and raised questions about cultural discrimination and moral values.

Again the incident of an Indian farmer prohibited from entering a mall in Bengaluru is not something very surprising.

The reason is as trivial as wearing the dhoti and shirt. The video highlighting the incident has garnered much criticism and after the video went viral attempts have been made to do justice with the victim.

Action has been taken against the mall and it has been subjected to a forced closure for an entire week.

In the light of this incident the Frido founders shared their experience of being denied admission to a restaurant for wearing slippers.

The same kind of incident happened in September 2021. A woman had to face no-admission to a famous restaurant for wearing saree. The Women’s Forum opposed the incident and the restaurant was accused of not having the necessary permission to operate it.

There are maybe many similar incidents which go unregistered in smaller cities. Is the punishment of these venues responsible for these kinds of incidents an inflicted burden upon them. Is it that we are losing our connection to our roots?

Have we begun to forget from where we began? India, a tropical country has a past of flowing dresses, those made people stay at ease even at the highest temperatures.

Men worked on fields and women stayed at houses cooking before the naked fire prepared by the organic fuels.

The attires giving definition to bodies with their tightness were nowhere an option that would only propel the feeling of discomfort. With the times changing people shifted towards office work and life has become fast-paced as compared to the earlier times.

And so has the choice of attires. This is however no logic to look down upon those who still believe in wearing the traditional attires.

The truth is we live in a hypothetical society or in fact we practice paradoxical living. We are the same people who criticize any kind of experiments done in social functions.

The famous business house where a marriage continued for almost an entire year was covered by international media and the guests and hosts were both appreciated and trolled for wearing heavily experimented dresses.

For sure we all appreciate smart and neat looks of anyone we meet or see. Though it has little to do with our not seeked judgment regarding a person depending on his choices of anything not harming the human and non-human world.

It is simply that we have to re-learn to respect the individuality of everyone. These kinds of incidents are less an indication of culture shift and more the degradation of moral values.

An Indian farmer was denied entry to a Bengaluru mall for wearing a dhoti and shirt, prompting widespread criticism and a one-week closure of the mall.An Indian farmer was denied entry to a Bengaluru mall for wearing a dhoti and shirt, prompting widespread criticism and a one-week closure of the mall. https://townpost.in/2024/07/21/is-india-gearing-for-a-culture-shift/

"Gearing" is a misleading usage. There is nothing to gear for. There is no culture so to speak to shift towards. The right headline should be "Is India being sheared of culture? ".

??? In Malaysia, many people wear dhoti to go anywhere.
Especially on days like ponggal and Deepavali, lots of people wearing dhoti will go to shopping malls etc.
Pakistani foreign workers wear their Pathan suits to go to shopping malls.
No one stops anyone here.

What is wrong with India??

There are people who say everything is wrong with India. There is a saying when you repeat a lie a hundred times it passes off as truth. Nothing was wrong with India. Wrongness is being thrust.

There are people who say everything is wrong with India. There is a saying when you repeat a lie a hundred times it passes off as truth. Nothing was wrong with India. Wrongness is being thrust.
I apologize Sravna,
I didnt mean to find fault with India.
Just that I said " whats wrong with India" because I was surprised that a man wearing a dhoti wasnt allowed into a mall when the dhoti is an Indian garment.

Anyway, thank you for bringing to my attention the flaw in my post.

I apologize Sravna,
Just that I said " whats wrong with India" because I was surprised that a man wearing a dhoti wasnt allowed into a mall when the dhoti is an Indian garment.

Renuka no the post was not really a response to yours. It triggered a response to those who really disrespect India but show fake concern. Please no need to apologize.

I apologize Sravna,

No Dr. Renuka That post is meant for Sravna's favorite Target Prasad. If I said God is great Mr. Sravna would deny it. The original post was from an Indian outlet. It was funny because in Chennai you see everyone wearing a dhoti or Vesti, and there are no mall fashion police. Why this happened in Bengaluru Mall is perplexing. Mr. Sravna did not understand the joke and wore his tricolored flag tightly, and his ego got bruised.

I have asked Mr. Sravna to ignore my post because he can not comprehend my style. I ignore his posts so his rants do not disturb me.

Renuka I am fine with jokes. They do not disturb me. But why every joke is condemnatory? But why every joke seems derogatory for a layman like me who understands only plain English? But why every joke is only about India?

You understand what I say?

Dear Sravna and Prasad ji,
I understand the situation now.
Its just that both of you have different ways of expressing your thoughts.

The title " cultural shift"..well it could mean anything.
That is either a shift towards embracing one's own culture or rejecting one's own culture.

The title can also be like a click bait to attract readers.
Like we sometimes see on you tube some click bait of girl vs anaconda and when you click on it, it might be just some girl talking about how she feels restricted by her boyfriend who restricts her freedom like an anaconda squeezing the life out of its victim.

Anyway, why not we just focus on the content?
The content is about this mall in B'lore which didnt allow a dhoti clad man to enter.

regards

There are many farmers in India, who wear shorts beneath their dhotis. When they work in the fields, they remove the dhoti and don it again when they return home.
Maybe the mall would have admitted the farmer if he had removed his dhoti before entering and walked in with just his shorts!

There are many farmers in India, who wear shorts beneath their dhotis. When they work in the fields, they remove the dhoti and don it again when they return home.
Maybe the mall would have admitted the farmer if he had removed his dhoti before entering and walked in with just his shorts!
Funnily said! Why are these people maniacal when you cover

Latest ads

Back