• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Movie on Ramanujan, the mathematical genius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello every member living in or near satyamangalam, please rise to the occasion.

We can't let a great local mathematical genius be in obscurity.

He had created a 'sieve' for separating the prime numbers-
long before the calculators and computers were invented.

He was an Indian. He was a Tamilian.

He was (in all probability) a tam bram.

Are not these reasons good enough to make sure that he receives his due place of honor in the world of mathematics?

Then it will not be called one and a half goats; every area/ portion of a slaughtered beef or goat has a unique name and there are connoisseurs who demand their cut and get it.

In the butchers shop, the one and half goats may not have even a single leg-if someone had purchased them for making the famous soup known by its name...despite being cut length-wise or breadth-wise.

Sorry brother! My knowledge in this field is next to nil.

But I am not ashamed of this fact :)

I am neither a connoisseur of such food :hand:

nor am I close to anyone who could be labeled thus.

I humbly accept that I am ignorant in these matters.

My dictionary says that flesh of sheep is called mutton

while beef is the flesh of cows and oxen.

Nothing is said about goats. :decision:

Do they under the category of sheep or cows???

Then it will not be called one and a half goats; every area/ portion of a slaughtered beef or goat has a unique name and there are connoisseurs who demand their cut and get it.

Fast retreat. I better stick to mathematics and ramanujan in this thread.

Sorry brother! My knowledge in this field is next to nil.

But I am not ashamed of this fact :)

I am neither a connoisseur of such food :hand:

nor am I close to anyone who could be labeled thus.

I humbly accept that I am ignorant in these matters.

My dictionary says that flesh of sheep is called mutton

while beef is the flesh of cows and oxen.

Nothing is said about goats. :decision:

Do they under the category of sheep or cows???

A 1905 letter from The Hindu archive and Ramnujan's house in kumbakonam:

avn_ramanujamletter_873695f.jpg

RAMANUJAM_STREET_874295g.jpg

So he is Ramanujam and not Ramanujan!

Yes you are correct..

The name Ramaanujam is from the word Rama + Anuja meaning he who comes or born after Rama(younger to Rama)

In Sanskrit its written as Ramaanuja and in Tamil its written as Ramaanujam.

Last edited:
RAmAnujam sounds more respectful than RAmAnujan!! :thumb:

One more doubt. Why both the names Balasubramaniam and Balasubramanian exist?

RAmAnujam sounds more respectful than RAmAnujan!! :thumb:

One more doubt. Why both the names Balasubramaniam and Balasubramanian exist?

Dear RR Ji,

Subrahmaniam must be the correct one cos Subrahmanya means
Su(promoter in this context) for the Brahmana portion of the Vedas as done by Lord Kartikeya when He was born as Kumarilla Bhatta assisting Adi Shankara's mission hence Subrahmanya.

Thank you Renu for your prompt reply. :)

The telephone directory has a lot of Subramanians, in SingArach Chennai! (no 'h' added in the name)

Yes you are correct..

The name Ramaanujam is from the word Rama + Anuja meaning he who comes or born after Rama(younger to Rama)

Y
ou meant Raamaanuja right? (two ‘a’s on both occasions)

In tamil, most names have 'n' as ending: Raman, Krishnan, Subramanian, Ramanujan etc

In Sanskrit, Ramanujam, Subramaniam etc are accusative forms of the names. For example Aham Ramanujam bajaami = I worship Ramanuja etc

In general, usage of Ramanujam, Subramaniam etc ( that is with 'm' as an ending)conveys a subtle sense of respect.

Last edited:
............ In general, usage of Ramanujam, Subramaniam etc ( that is with 'm' as an ending)conveys a subtle sense of respect.
Very true! So is the ending 'ர்' in Tamil. We had a friend, who used to call his driver as 'ட்ரைவன்'! :pound:

Incidentally, there is also a RAMANUJAM ( note the ‘M’ at the end ), who was a mathematician in his own right.

His full name is C(hidambaram) P(admanabhan) Ramanujam. He was born on 9 Jan 1938 in Chennai, and passed away on 27 Oct 1974 in Bangalore.

But his life is a tragic story. Here is an excerpt from an article at
http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/Biographies/Ramanujam.html

His father C S Padmanabhan was an advocate working in Madras High Court. C P Ramanujam was educated in Madras, first at Ewart's School, then at the Sir M Ct Muthiah Chetty High School at Vepery. He was considered an outstanding student in school. In 1952, as a 14-year old, he passed his final High School examinations and joined Loyola College.

He took Mathematics Honours course after obtaining his Intermediate degree. He was awarded a B.A. with Honours in Mathematics in 1957 but, strangely for such an outstanding student, he only obtained a second class degree, due perhaps to a lack of self-confidence which haunted Ramanujam throughout his life.

His mathematics teacher at Loyola College was Father C Racine who encouraged him to apply for entry to the School of Mathematics at the Tata Institute in Bombay. In his letter of recommendation Father Racine wrote:-

He has certainly originality of mind and the type of curiosity which is likely to suggest that he will develop into a good research worker if given sufficient opportunity.

At the Tata Institute, Ramanujam quickly became an expert in many different mathematical areas. His wide expertise made him a natural person to write up lecture notes from courses given by visitors to the Institute. He seemed able to soak up huge amounts of deep and difficult mathematics and he gave many talks showing what a deep understanding he had of many topics. What he was not doing was producing original mathematical advances while some of his lesser colleagues were being much more successful.

Ramanujam felt that he did not have what it takes to solve the big problems of mathematics, and he had no wish to solve small routine problems. Again, as in his undergraduate course, it would appear to be a psychological problem rather than a mathematical one but for Ramanujam it was a very real problem and he became more and more frustrated. He decided that his strengths were in teaching mathematics rather than producing original mathematics. For his work in number theory he was promoted to Associate Professor at the Tata Institute. It was not a position he easily accepted, arguing strongly that he was not worthy of such a post. However his friends and colleagues persuaded him to accept.

In 1964 he was diagnosed as having severe depression and schizophrenia. Feeling totally inadequate as a research mathematician he applied for university teaching posts.

In July 1965 Ramanujam was offered a Professorship at the Punjab University in Chandigarh. He accepted and began teaching there. However his depression returned and he had to cut short his stay there after about eight months.

Back in the Tata Institute, Ramanujam received an invitation to spend six months at the Institut des Hautes Études Scientifique in Paris. Again his illness forced him to return from Paris before the end of the six months. However his ability to do mathematics seemed as remarkable as ever outside his periods of illness.

Severe depression struck Ramanujam frequently. On one occasion he tried to take his life with barbiturates but was quickly treated and recovered. In February 1970, while again suffering depression, he resigned from the Tata Institute. The Director refused his resignation but later in the year he again resigned and went to the University of Warwick in England.

After a year at the University of Warwick, Ramanujam returned to India and asked for a Professorship at the Tata Institute , to be based in Bangalore where a new branch dealing with applications of mathematics was being set up. This was agreed to and he taught analysis in Bangalore but, again in the depths of depression caused by his illness, he took his life with an overdose of barbiturates.

David Bryant Mumford (born 1937), an American mathematician known for distinguished work in algebraic geometry, winner of the Fields Medal , a MacArthur Fellow, recipient of National Medal of Science, and currently a University Professor i of Applied Mathematics at Brown University , has the following words about C.P.Ramanujam:

It was a stimulating experience to know and collaborate with C P Ramanujam. He loved mathematics and he was always ready to take up a new thread or pursue an old one with infectious enthusiasm. He was equally ready to discuss a problem with a first year student or a colleague, to work through an elementary point or puzzle over a deep problem. On the other hand he had high standards. He felt the spirit of mathematics demanded of him not merely routine developments but the right theorem an any given topic. He was sometimes tormented by these high standards, but, in retrospect, it is clear to us how often he succeeded in adding to our knowledge, results both new, beautiful and with a genuine original stamp.

Last edited:
He must have thought that by calling him ட்ரைவR

he was giving undue respect to his 'ட்ரைவன்! :rolleyes:

Was he perhaps trying to be more respectful to his driver by calling him “driven” ட்ரைவன் ?
Afterall, there are words ending in ‘n’, which are respectable – Iraivan, Bhagavan, Sriman, Adiyen, dasanudasan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back