• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

no more பாவாடை தாவணியில்

Status
Not open for further replies.
The culture has not only changed in Dress code.The change is in every walk of life.Kunjuppu,Bharani sirs, no point in feeling sad about these changes.It happens we have to take things in stride.Hello VR you may not personnally wish to change over to boy cut.Change is hard(mentally)for elders.But Defenitely you will accept these changes to your grand children/grand grand children.
alwan

The culture has not only changed in Dress code.The change is in every walk of life.Kunjuppu,Bharani sirs, no point in feeling sad about these changes.It happens we have to take things in stride.Hello VR you may not personnally wish to change over to boy cut.Change is hard(mentally)for elders.But Defenitely you will accept these changes to your grand children/grand grand children.
alwan

talwan,

i, for one, would like to think, that i am never sentimental over what is past. i believe change is inevitable, and unless one moves insync with the changes, one is bound to feel unhappy or left out.

but, at the same time, where warranted, i cannot but help, admire some of the things of the past. the pavadai thavani was an object of beauty and joy, now seldom seen. my sister wore it. my cousins did. now their children dont. such is life. and so be it.

alwan

Organic changes to culture are welcome. Government mandated changes are not welcome.

I think in most cases attempt to change is only an experiment or an involuntary effort to avoid ridicule by some. What is real is the change in the youth's life style. our grandpa would not have liked our father's change; and so it is downward.

doc, how about those bacterium which dies along, when we relish ThaYir saDham?.

Leuconostoc mesenteroides, Streptococcus faecalis, Lactobacillus fermentum and Bacillus amyloliquefaciens are a part and parcel of our dosa delicacy!

apart from your surgical room, do you wear the mask like jain monks?

the word pest control must be out of your dictionary, i think. how do you manage cockroaches in your kitchen. do you feed them with chinese made ornamental fish feeds? :))

actually, the lifecycle of bacteria is rather small, matter of hours, so it really makes no difference. But silkworms have a long lifespan and they are deliberately murdered for silk, which is cruel. For that matter I even oppose consumption of honey since it is collected by smoking the honeybees.

Most bacteria do not die in stomach/intestines. In fact lactobacillus (most common on yogurt) is symbiotically beneficial to us and it is happy to live in the digestive system, so they aren't really getting killed in that process. Bacteria have doublewalled membranes with high security system! They lived billion years before humans and will live billion years after.

Well people are worried that pavadai dhavani has gone away. The question is will even salwar kameez popular today, remain.
Women these days seem to be comfortable with shorts and T-shirts. In professional circles you can see the women slowly transitioning from Salwar, to formal Pants, to Full length business skirts, to half/semi-half business skirts.

While the mamas and mamis here are worried that their women today are having short hair and wearing more modern atire, their daughters. daughterinlaws and granddaughters are transitioning to half length skirts. This would almost seem like a pavadai. New age pavadai.
Is this a recycling of fashion? Just thinking..... Hope this comment does not offend anyone.

actually, the lifecycle of bacteria is rather small, matter of hours, so it really makes no difference. But silkworms have a long lifespan and they are deliberately murdered for silk, which is cruel. For that matter I even oppose consumption of honey since it is collected by smoking the honeybees.

Most bacteria do not die in stomach/intestines. In fact lactobacillus (most common on yogurt) is symbiotically beneficial to us and it is happy to live in the digestive system, so they aren't really getting killed in that process. Bacteria have doublewalled membranes with high security system! They lived billion years before humans and will live billion years after.

Yes you are right.I dont take honey too cos in the collection of it many bees die.In fact I dont use processed sugar.If at all I need to use sugar for making Halwa or any sweets..I use mashed bananas and dates.I make suji halwa with mash banana and mashed dates.It taste the same.
I think my house might be one of the few houses in the world where sugar is not bought.
Most food contain natural sugar so we dont need to add sugar to food.
When we dont use sugar the taste buds in the tongue become very sensitive to natural sugars in food and after sometime food wont taste bland.

OMG I used to be a pest. I would be so well dressed at home and try on all my mums lipstick and do a cat walk in front of the mirror.I used to wear her platform shoes..that time when I was young platform high heels were in vogue and I used to try on her shoes.heheheehehe.

When she was young my daughter used to love wearing pavadai thavani. As a young girl when she used to wear pavadai & chattai she used to look forward to the visit of her grandma from Chennai every year because she used to bring for her a pavadai & chattai. And the grandma(my mil) also used to bring it without fail and look forward eagerly to that bear hug and the kiss on the cheek(and the "paatti! you are so sweet") from a delighted granddaughter. Now a grown up woman my daughter wears pant and Churidaars. I know she misses her thavani as well as her grandma.

Last edited:
hi
now many girls change from dhavani to bikni.................life is changed a lot..............from chennai dhavani ,,,,,now ended up

in bikni in USA....

regards
tbs

Though the clothing fashion of the generation has changed considering many valid point and demands, like more covering up, easy to walk and commute etc, etc.., many girls enjoy wearing Sari on specific occasions. Salwar Kameez is still in vogue among girls in India other than jeans and top/t-shirt, skirts etc.

Wearing Pavadai-Thaavani has the time frame. That is only during teen age (from 13 - 19 years of age). Though Salwar Kameez was very common attire in Chennai even 20 years ago, my sister and other girls in our circle of relatives used to wear Paavadai-Thaavani occasionally. I don't think teen age girls of present generation would like to wear Paavadai-Thavani even occasionally.

Dear Renuka & Amala,

As I have stated in my very first post in this thread, men are basically admiring human species and would end up admiring girl's beauty in any costumes, in all the generation. We admire girl's dressing sense, the way she makes-up, the color and design she chooses to paint her nails with, the set of ear stud, bangles, bindhi etc..etc that she wears matching her clothing, the different hair styles that she often keeps changing etc..etc...Now a days' the fashion among girls is coloring their hairs. We guy's admire that too, if the coloring looks good and suits the girl. As such we guys would still be admiring the out dated fashion of girls clothing.

Boy's don't have any thing special to dress up and look good. They are good in trousers, shorts, veshthi, shirt, t-shirt, jeans etc and we all look uniformed, except for height, physical build-up and complexion.

Girls are beauties, Guys are bounties... :)

Girls are girls, Guys are guys... :)

Dear Ravi

Wearing Pavadai-Thaavani has the time frame. That is only during teen age (from 13 - 19 years of age).

You are quite right at that!! I was one absolute fan of Paavadai and thavani and added the extra point of pure Glass bangles to go along with it! Oh man, it does make boys/men go crazy!!

I was so disappointed about my neighbours condemning me from wearing paavadai thavani after marriage even though it was confided only to my home :(

I had my cousin in Chennai and she never wore Paavadai thaavani, all she could muster is Ghagra Chooli!

Regards

Is it fantasy running riot?

Suraju,

I left out one more thing...Handcuffs!!!

You know all these were classified under sado masochism in Forensic Medicine.
So I can always escape on technical grounds saying its all Forensics.LOL!!!

Paavadai-Thavani

Paavadai sounds Tamil but Thaavani is Tamil or other. Particularly in Brahmin community the girls wear this attire as soon as they blossom into adulthood. Those days the family had to go through various festival vrathams, poojas and of course rites for the departed, etc. which kept them to fit in the above attire. These days they do not fit in with any dress, forget about those who have little to wear as if begging for clothes.

Dear Ravi

You are quite right at that!! I was one absolute fan of Paavadai and thavani and added the extra point of pure Glass bangles to go along with it! Oh man, it does make boys/men go crazy!!

I was so disappointed about my neighbours condemning me from wearing paavadai thavani after marriage even though it was confided only to my home :(

I had my cousin in Chennai and she never wore Paavadai thaavani, all she could muster is Ghagra Chooli!

Regards

Dear Valli,

You are right!!!! Pure "Kannadi Valaiyal", "Pottu", "Jhimki", "Chinnadhaa Azhagaana Mookuththi" along with Paavadai-Thavani dressing indeed makes guys go crazy!!! "Golusu" adds up to the charm of wholesome fiminity.... :).

This "Azhagaana Kaakshi" unfortunately not for present and future generation guys.......

Paavadai sounds Tamil but Thaavani is Tamil or other. Particularly in Brahmin community the girls wear this attire as soon as they blossom into adulthood. Those days the family had to go through various festival vrathams, poojas and of course rites for the departed, etc. which kept them to fit in the above attire. These days they do not fit in with any dress, forget about those who have little to wear as if begging for clothes.

iyya,

there are two ways of looking at this.

whereas in my home, etc, since my sister's time, the maturing process of a girl, is considered purely a nature's body growth phenomenon, requiring some extra care and attention re hygiene, health and possible budding mental growth. that is all and no more.

personally, i will go along with what my mother started, and all ladies in my family followed about 47 years ago with my sibling and then all my cousins. it should be a personal affair of the person concerned, and not something to be converted into an ocassion for community knowledge. that can and will come with time.

the other tamil communities celebrate the oncoming of menses equally elaborately, and many still do it, in canada here. it is called puppunitha neeraattu vizha. the vathiar is called, and functioning and feasting takes place. however, there have voices raised against this rather barbarious approach to woman and womanhood by thinking folks in their community, and i understand, there are many who eschew this type of publicity, nowadays.

after all, we men, when we spurt our first hair on our pubis, do not let the whole world know about it. do we? or do WE? :)

Dear Valli,

You are right!!!! Pure "Kannadi Valaiyal", "Pottu", "Jhimki", "Chinnadhaa Azhagaana Mookuththi" along with Paavadai-Thavani dressing indeed makes guys go crazy!!! "Golusu" adds up to the charm of wholesome fiminity.... :).

This "Azhagaana Kaakshi" unfortunately not for present and future generation guys.......

Calm down Ravi. You're getting over-excited :)

ravi,

re your post #42,

i still fondly remember, girls in my neighbourhood, overnight shooting in height and stature, and blooming in beauty, acquiring a poise and maturity, and looking at us still immature boys, with a more curious and wiser look.

the early teens of the girls, i think, are among the prettiest stages of their lives, as this beauty is natural. and nature's first blossom in its innocence

oh, to be young again!!

btw, i do not think, all this has disappeared these days. it manifests itself in different ways, to reflect different times. i have seen it in my children and their friends. overall, thanks to more interaction between the sexes, i would say, their teenage is more jovial and funlike than ours, where a strict segregation of sexes was maintained.

ravi,

re your post #42,

i still fondly remember, girls in my neighbourhood, overnight shooting in height and stature, and blooming in beauty, acquiring a poise and maturity, and looking at us still immature boys, with a more curious and wiser look.

the early teens of the girls, i think, are among the prettiest stages of their lives, as this beauty is natural. and nature's first blossom in its innocence

oh, to be young again!!

btw, i do not think, all this has disappeared these days. it manifests itself in different ways, to reflect different times. i have seen it in my children and their friends. overall, thanks to more interaction between the sexes, i would say, their teenage is more jovial and funlike than ours, where a strict segregation of sexes was maintained.

Very interesting that you should feel the prettiest stages of a girls life is during her puberty. Many women actually feel much more beautiful/sexy much much later on in their lives.

Very interesting that you should feel the prettiest stages of a girls life is during her puberty. Many women actually feel much more beautiful/sexy much much later on in their lives.

amala,

please note, that it is the 'first bloom in all its innocence' that i am talking about. i have found this universal, among every girl i know.

the beauty of later years, is a combination of character, makeup and in the eyes of the perceiver.

mrs K to me looks beautiful all the time. even when she lifts the rolling pin :)

Calm down Ravi. You're getting over-excited :)

Dear Amala,

I am appreciating the beauty of teenage girls in such costumes and "Alangaarams", in its purest and true sense.

It is no where compared to, middle aged/married guys saying, they love girls in Short Skirts and Biknis and add up some special noughty expressions...

Last edited:
amala,

the beauty of later years, is a combination of character, makeup and in the eyes of the perceiver.

Perfect Shri Kunjuppu!!!!!!...:thumb:

A guy who appreciates beauty in true sense would admire the beauty of a matured girl in her later years, based on the combinations of her character, behavior, feminine qualities, makeup. And off course, this wholesome beauty of the matured girl is in the eyes of be beholder.......

Dear Amala,

I am appreciating the beauty of teenage girls in such costumes and "Alangaarams", in its purest and true sense.

It is no where compared to, middle aged/married guys saying, they love girls in Short Skirts and Biknis and add up some special noughty expressions...

Dear Ravi,

Its no harm that
middle aged/married guys saying, they love girls in Short Skirts and Biknis and add up some special noughty expressions...

They are just fun loving and being honest about themselves.
Many married man also allow their wifes to wear bikinis and shorts skirts(cos they know their wifes still look good in it)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back