• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old Age Homes

Status
Not open for further replies.
i guess it is easy to come up with requirements, when we are talking about other folks.

the average participant, i think, may be far more liberal and forward looking, than the tradition bound family.

in many matrimonial ads, we see the parents living with the son. the implicit belief, is that the girl will move cities, change or give up employment, and adjust to a new household, not just with a new partner, but with the partner's parents.

we are also talking mostly about living with sons. in today's world, many families have just girls. what about their parents?

overall, i think, between flexibility and expectations, compromises can be reached.

i have always felt, that it is better to have separate but nearby households.

brahmanyan is fortunate that his expectations and realizations have matched. in many cases, it may not.

instead of being bitter about such situations, it is best to seek a midway, acceptable to both. it is only when one party in unbending in their position, that problems arise.

above all, parents should not be forced to spend their entire life savings on daughter's weddings.

retirement should be as much a priority. also, the longevity of human life, while providing opportunities, also has potential problems. thanks to modern medicine, even with debilitating diseases, we tend to continue breathing, long after our quality life has disappeared.

i think that 90% of our lifetime medical bills are during the last 10% of our lives. atleast that has been the experience with my familly.

i think we should provide for this expense and not burden this on our children.

God Bless.

Could anybody give me the contact address of any Old Age home exclusively run for Brahmins. It is urgently required for an old lady of 86 years old as she has lost her only son recently and other near relatives are all settled in US.

Please try the following website

Suki Homes - Old age home for retired professionals

எண்ணாயிரமாண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டரிவாரில்லை உள்நாடி ஒளிபெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

re

Shree R.Venkataramani,

From the link that you provided,i found eminent TB's managing this old age home.Maybe we should ask rrvvvr,to contact them too,as i know one of them is a devotee of kanchi muttam acharya,for re-energising.Thank you !.

gopal.

About Us

G. Anantha Narayan Managing Partner
S. Ganapathy Partner (Operations)
Rajeshwari Narayan Partner (Finance)
Advisory Members
Dr. V. Ramkumar Subheksha Senior Citizen Complex - Promoter
Dr. S. Ramaswamy Physician
Annamma Sunny MD, Karunya Home Health Services
C. Rama Mohan Auditor
K. Subramanian Consultant
H Vaidyanathan Air India

Many thanks to Shri Venkatramani for providing me the web site address. I went through the same and I feel that it is one of the best for an Old traditional minded lady. I have contacted them for further details. Thanks a lot!

Dear Sri Yenbeeyes

I know about this old home only through website and I have no personal experience. Please satisfy yourself before taking further steps.

Probably your views will help our other members also. Hence I request you to submit your views in this forum

Thanks. All the best.

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

yenbee,

i second venkat's request.

we would like to hear from you about this old age home.

if the lady moves in, would not mind hearing her experience either.

i noticed that not many of the resident's photos reflected smiles or positive vibes. maybe it is just me.

also, these people did not post the cost on the website. many of the others do, i think.

thank you.

i think good ,modern and self contained old age homes are need of the day. Though children would like to look after us most of us cannot live long in a foreign country.and having one or 2 children we cannot stop them their future. It is better not to
burden them . Nothing wrong in staying in a good old age home with all facilities

Dear Venkatramani and kunjuppu,

What you have stated are correct. I shall definitely verify before sending the old lady therein. I have also sent a request to them through their web site asking for more details including cost. Once I receive a reply, I intend making a visit also there to know the exact position. Thereafter, I shall let you know also the outcome.

Dear Yenbeeyes,

Thanks everyone for bringing up this topic. I am looking for a home for my parents. Did you get a chance to check suki home in hosur? Please update on that with details. I have sent 'em an email today for more details. Please share your details.

Thanks.
ananth

Hello everyone,

My parents are in Madurai. Would be great if anyone knows good brahmins/ Vegitarians retirement homes near to madurai.

Thanks everyone,
ananth

Hello everyone,

My parents are in Madurai. Would be great if anyone knows good brahmins/ Vegitarians retirement homes near to madurai.

Thanks everyone,
ananth

Dear Ananth ji,

There is a old age home in Coimbatore meant for our community. According to one of my friend, the facilities are excellent. Getting admission is little difficult. If I remember correct, the cost is Rs.4500 pm for single accommadation and Rs.7000 pm for twin sharing basis. If you are interested, please inform me so that I shall talk to my friend and do the needful.

All the best

Dear Venkat sir,

Thanks for the quick reply and information. Could you please forward me some information about the home, location, facilities. Their website may contain all this info....please send if you have the link. Thanks for extending the help thru your friend. I will check with my parents. My mail-id is [email protected]. Please forward your mail-id.

- Ananth.

Dear Venkat sir,

Thanks for the quick reply and information. Could you please forward me some information about the home, location, facilities. Their website may contain all this info....please send if you have the link. Thanks for extending the help thru your friend. I will check with my parents. My mail-id is [email protected]. Please forward your mail-id.

- Ananth.

Dear Ananth ji,

Just now I spoke to my friend at Coimbatore who is regularly donating to the old age home mentioned in my earlier posting.

He has agreed to help you with a double room.

Please send the details to the following email so that I can forward it to him and try to do the needful.

[email protected]

Since accommodation is very difficult in the above home, I request you to act at the earliest if you are interested.

The above old age home is a closely held charitable unit and hence they don't have a website.

There is a old age home at Andhra mahila Sabha, Durgabai Deshmuk Road, R.A Puram, Chennai-28 ( Opp. to Satya studios near greenways road) close to Malar Hospital Adyar. I heard its good with good medical attention.

SAIRAM EVERYBODY. A Related subject. Dear all youngsters: There is no other pleasure than enjoying the company of old & retired parents. I agree, in these days of running about hither and thither for liveli-hood, for many of those who are only one child to their parents, it becomes difficult to be with parents. But for those who can be with parents and for the parents who have to be with their kid/s, my father Nagai Vai. Ramaswamy has written an article in chennaionline.com/tamil titled பழுத்த இலையும் பச்சை இலையும் under பத்திகள். Members can go through and if they agree, can refer to others. Thanks and Sairam.

SAIRAM EVERYBODY. A Related subject. Dear all youngsters: There is no other pleasure than enjoying the company of old & retired parents. I agree, in these days of running about hither and thither for liveli-hood, for many of those who are only one child to their parents, it becomes difficult to be with parents. But for those who can be with parents and for the parents who have to be with their kid/s, my father Nagai Vai. Ramaswamy has written an article in chennaionline.com/tamil titled பழுத்த இலையும் பச்சை இலையும் under பத்திகள். Members can go through and if they agree, can refer to others. Thanks and Sairam.

very nice poignant article. please pass on my appreciation to your dad

for the benefit of our members, here is the url

?????? ??????? ???????? : ?????? ??????? ????? ???????

yes. the url link works :)

your dad has covered all basis. some points i wish to re-emphasize

- re pocket money: elders should keep aside money for themselves. many of them spend all their money on daughter weddings or education.

- which is why, i think that wedding should be modest and total expense (jewllery etc) must be borne 50 50. nothing so sad as elder not having any money even to buy a bar of chocolate or இளநீர்

- also, elders tipping grand children also endears them. money alone is not a glue, but it greases the gears for many occassions

- part time employment: so important to keep busy. even if not for money, tutor poor children. do something.

- don't be too sensitive. the younger generation have their own problems which the elders may not understand. always keep cool and quiet. instead of providing advice

- if possible, don't live with, but live nearby your children. it also gives you mental and physical space.

- financial independence is 85% key, i think, to successful retirement.

Dear Padmanabsridharr,

I read the article written by your father with interest and enjoyed every word of it. What he has written is quite true and happening in the real world. Many of his advices are useful to the seniors as well as the youth.

Please let us know if he has written any other articles and if yes, why don't you bring them also for our benefit?

Manam irundhaal maargam undu...

From all the posts on this topic, it appears that the reasons could be broadly grouped into these 3 categories:

- A dumphouse
- Independence
- Necessity

Let me touch upon the last point first - necessity. It may be due to the following reasons:

- Children living abroad and cannot afford to have their parents with them.
- Parents do not want to settle abroad; am assuming that the parent is also in agreement with the child in employment abroad.

In such cases, elderly people could face practical difficulties, and in india, there is no dearth of such issues. Maintenance, bills, groceries, health and a hoard of other things would keep them on their toes when they ought to be resting peacefully. Hence, even though not desirable, an old age home might prove the ideal place for them, if they choose so.

The second category is independence - Modern parents, do show, in fact, a trend to go separate once their male child has been married, citing privacy and independence (either ways). Though this looks ok at first sight, on a deeper analysis, it would prove that the lack of tolerance is the factor which drives one to seek isolation to be independent. It simply means that the family, either the son or dil or grandchildren could intrude upon the elders' privacy and independence (and vice versa). When can this happen? On a honest analysis, it would show that the members lack maturity or understanding and hence the decision. One can still be independent while living with the family and getting along with them. The key is tolerance, understanding and love.

The final category is dumping the parents - nothing to speak of here, really. It along with lack of tolerance exhibits disrespect, failure to do one's dharma and a magnified arrogance.

Of all the 3 categories, only one is genuine. The other two are shams. And unfortunately, the majority of the cases fall under the latter.

While an old age home is not exactly the right thing to happen in a society, the truth is that it cannot be wished away.

But the spurt of such old age homes is definitely a bad indication.

Regards,

P.S. I wholeheartedly agree with sapr333's view on this topic!

Hello M/s Kunjuppu and Pannvalan: SAIRAM. Me and my Appa thank you for the compliments. I am giving below dtls of some articles/devotional song that are appearing in chennaionline site. Also, his devotional songs which we have made as an Album titled அமுதமே குமுதமே நீலாயதாக்ஷி have been placed, for the benefit of devotee-members of tamilbrahmins in their Devotional Songs list. Members may listen and be beneficiaries of Ambal's Grace. Thanks and Regards
Sairam - Padmanab Sridhar

ChennaiOnline : ???????? : ??????????? ?????? ??????????? ??????? நீலாயதாக்ஷி அம்மன் திருப்பள்ளியெழுச்சி

?????? ??????? ???????? : ?????? ??????? ????? ??????? பழுத்த இலை

ChennaiOnline News : ????????? ??????????? ?????? ???????????? நாகை ஸ்ரீ நீலாயதாக்ஷி அம்மன் கோயில்
ChennaiOnline : ?????????? | ?????????....... சொல்லாமலே

?????? ??????? ???????? : ??? ???????? - sila yojanaikal

?????? ??????? ???????? : ??? ???? ??????? ?????? அடி போல் கடியும் உதவும் 3/10/09

Pazhutha ilayum Pachai Ilaiyum-is reallly a awakener.Excellent.realistic(Yadhartham) and a MUST READ article by all sections!
It has really stirred my heart.
Thanks Padmanab sridhar
I will definitely go through the other articles

I read all the works with great interest. I heartily compliment him for his varied interests and the plain-spoken style he has adopted in his writings.

Though I am younger to him in age, I wish him all good health and pray for peace and long life to him.

Padmanabsridharr, you are fortunate to have a good father like him.

From all the posts on this topic, it appears that the reasons could be broadly grouped into these 3 categories:

- A dumphouse
- Independence
- Necessity

Let me touch upon the last point first - necessity. It may be due to the following reasons:

- Children living abroad and cannot afford to have their parents with them.
- Parents do not want to settle abroad; am assuming that the parent is also in agreement with the child in employment abroad.

In such cases, elderly people could face practical difficulties, and in india, there is no dearth of such issues. Maintenance, bills, groceries, health and a hoard of other things would keep them on their toes when they ought to be resting peacefully. Hence, even though not desirable, an old age home might prove the ideal place for them, if they choose so.

The second category is independence - Modern parents, do show, in fact, a trend to go separate once their male child has been married, citing privacy and independence (either ways). Though this looks ok at first sight, on a deeper analysis, it would prove that the lack of tolerance is the factor which drives one to seek isolation to be independent. It simply means that the family, either the son or dil or grandchildren could intrude upon the elders' privacy and independence (and vice versa). When can this happen? On a honest analysis, it would show that the members lack maturity or understanding and hence the decision. One can still be independent while living with the family and getting along with them. The key is tolerance, understanding and love.

The final category is dumping the parents - nothing to speak of here, really. It along with lack of tolerance exhibits disrespect, failure to do one's dharma and a magnified arrogance.

Of all the 3 categories, only one is genuine. The other two are shams. And unfortunately, the majority of the cases fall under the latter.

While an old age home is not exactly the right thing to happen in a society, the truth is that it cannot be wished away.

But the spurt of such old age homes is definitely a bad indication.

Regards,

P.S. I wholeheartedly agree with sapr333's view on this topic!

maybe 20 years ago , i could have written this. i would have been saptha's age (he admits to 41, i believe).

i have been further schooled 20 years, in that famous institution known as hard knocks, and have come to appreciate the fact, that many a times, one may be forced to make a decision, knowing well that it will be regretted, but offered with no choice.

not that i wish ill on anyone here. but the reality of life, is ups and guaranteed downs. it is a rare lifetime where there is only one of this phenomenon.

for most of us, life has been up, materially and along with it a self confidence, i think, that certain rules must be obeyed and norms followed, regardless. regardless of whatever.

but there comes instances, where the choice is probably between the devil and the deep blue sea.

in the case of an imaginary son here, to whom under circumstances an old age home is the only option for elderly parents.

not all of us are blessed with wives who are willing to put up with in-laws, cantankerous in their old age. many a times, it is the sins of the mouth that cause the widest chasms.

when there are siblings, not everyone pitches in.

the ultimate son or daughter, who dumps his/her parent in an old age, may be doing it with a lot of regret.

even more a responsibility, if the son or daughter is an only child.

i believe in the essential good of people. we wish to do the maximum. 'but' is a qualification, i agree, for the timid or the spineless - i agree.

how many of us have the full spine all the time?

to sail through the storm that is life, i find, that it is far better to emulate the palm tree, than the banyan. the palm can withstands the wildest of winds, bend to let these flow through, and then rise again, perhaps bent but still alive. the banyan just breaks dead.

would we call the palm tree spineless? or one with survival skills? to be alive after a crisis, and bear fruit for another time?

so too, we should look upon the severe trials that come into our life. old age is one. i am on the cusp of seniority of years. i personally believe that i should set aside to take care of myself and my spouse in our declining states.

what if i could not?

would that be a burden on my children? after all i brought them into this world. it was not of their asking.

sure enough i gave a lot, but that is the cost of birthing a human being, done willingly and with love. to expect returns, i think negates all the giving.

if it comes back, there was love. if it does, there never was. in which case, there is no use seeking after what was a figment of your imagination.

i wish to say there are no right or wrong answers for this age old, old age situation. where, to our eyes, might be a cruel act, may infact be a liberation for some.

an elderly parent might find peace and tasty food at the right times, instead of hearing the harsh words of an unsympathetic daughter in law, now given a chance to vent her years old grudge agains the greed of the boys' parents of those years.

every bad deed comes back to haunt us. the term வீட்டுக்கு வீடு வாசைப்படி, i think, was coined, with empathy in mind. i am, for one, very reluctant to point fingers of faults at others, for when i point one finger at the other, three fingers of my own, point back at me. true.

while ensuring that we ourselves follow the principles that we believe, let us not be harsh on those whom we think are blatantly casting these away to garbage. we simply don't know the whole story.

simplifying elder caring into a box of rules, classifying some good, some agreeable and most as disgusting, i think is not doing justice to an issue made complex these days of fast moving change.

many a times, these days, the children apparently wish their parents to live with them, primarily to do baby sitting, cooking and housework.

to hire a nanny, a maid and cook would be something that the children may not wish or afford. hey presto, we have mommy daddy to fall back on.

personally, i have done my share of child rearing. children are demanding task masters. grandparents, in the role of a part time care giver, at random, for a few hours, can have the best of both the worlds - pleasure of your grand children and the convenience of handing the active toddler back to those who brought him or her to this world.

i, personally think, that it would be ideal, for elders, to live close enough to their grownup children, to see them regularly. but maintain their own household for many many reasons, not mentioned above, but can be imagined by the public.

and final look at the happy scenario of three generations living together under one roof. i see them in commercials, all smiling. a few real ones, but not so many smiles.

if it should be so, an open conversation always, is of absolute importance. open discussion. open arguements. thick skin. sensitivity. ability to 'get on' with things. no grudge holding. possible. yes. guaranteed.no. atleast that is what i think so.

thank you.

Last edited:
Dear Mr. Pannvalan: SAIRAM. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. YOU ARE RIGHT. I AM INDEED BLESSED TO HAVE LOVING PARENTS IN MY DADY & MOM. They say they are blessed to have me as their son. I am 36, married and have a 6 yr. old daughter but, we all embrace each other and shower ourselves with kisses. As Bhagwan Sathya Sai Swamy says, the motto should be LOVE EVER HURT NEVER. Though my dad has writing skills and talents both in English and Tamil, he is able to concentrate more only after his Mumbai retired work life. He has been writing lyrics on the glory of Ambal Neelayadakshi of Nagapattinam for the past 30 years some of which I shall place in this site then and there. Thanks a lot once again. My Dad personally compliments and thanks you and gives his Aseervathams for all the wishes you have showered. Kind Regards & SAIRAM. PADMANAB SRIDHAR R.

SAIRAM. Thank you Shri Sabesan Narayanaswamy. My Appa also thank you for the compliments. Please continue viewing chennaionline.com/tamil under 'PATHIGAL' for his further contributions. One more is to appear titled "Singapore Kurippedu".
Thanks, Regards & Sairam - Padmanab Sridhar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back