• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What does a lord ask a devotee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is called a placebo effect. You thought it would help you and it did. In the medical field many drugs and non-drugs work by the same technique.

I strongly disagree!! Gayatri Mantra can work wonders!!
Once I remember it was an emergency case and I could not find a vein on the patient cos it was all collapsed and patient was obese.
I recited Gayatri Mantra many times in my heart and a vein was suddenly visible.

Never underestimate the power of the Gayatri Mantra.

Last edited:
Persistence and time can also do the same trick,
The time it takes to recite the mantras also buys time to locate the vein. It is so close to the skin is beside the point.

Persistence and time can also do the same trick,
The time it takes to recite the mantras also buys time to locate the vein. It is so close to the skin is beside the point.

Dear sir,

Sometimes you have to experience it to get the feeling.Veins are not easy to locate in a collapsed state.

BTW you are opposite to me cos in the other thread you are in support of tradition and thali etc but here you do not want to give any credit to the power of Mantra and God.

I on the other hand do not hold on to tradition at all most of the while but I hold on to faith and the power of God.

Isn't it strange?

I think we are slighlty deviating from the topic.Anyway's i have to appreaciate all the responses & posts so far made.May be we conclude prayers can be in any form that connects one with god.One may be satisfied by just doiing his everyday duties with sincerety & dedication.For others it may give a sense of completion with gifting 100 people with dhoti or doing a 1000 ltr Palabhishegam.The very nature varies but the feeling is a sense of inner consolance where we think we are connected to the lord.The rest is pshycology,spirituality....etc.,

Hello ,as stated its the faith had holds your hand and takes you to long run .as VR Mam ,stated in post13,17 total surrender ,is what required .mam but as you said we have to be wiser,OMG thats the tricky point and twisty position ,head weight ,chin up peoples say its all happening ,but one day they will understand the power of almighty. yes ,as DR.Renu stated in 26 ,mantras has immense of power ,its only that when we feel, that too on bottle neck situation ,when we cant pre-anticipate . My clinic is with all highly equipped infra-structures ,were I go with my medical science ,but ,I,daily pray god before I start my daily practice,cos we deal with live human ,we take up the responsilbility ,few patients do not disclose their pre-medical history,which can be contraindicated ,for examlpe-1-the basic ORAL PROPHYLAXSIS ie scaling ,done by my ULTRA SONIC Satelec unit ,person with pace makers are highly risky,even though I ask for medical history prior. 2- surgery ,we cant predict the out come ,ie time ,bleeding period ,if anxious person he may go in for faint.3. This is my own experience in my clinic ,on surgical extraction as stated for 45 minutes ,for lower wisdom tooth which is always tricky ,it just got finished in 15 minutes with sutures.4. I visit my friend clinic also once it was really a unexpected condition for my DR friend ,usually upper teeth will be extracted maxium of 5-8 mts with all procedure ,but he landed with 45minutes as it was broken into pieces .certain conditions in medical field a doctor cannot predict .finally what i tend to say is trust yourself ,trust 100% your almighty.,you can see wonders in your life.

Last edited:
Total Faith can work miracles for the believers!
I have experienced it all my life!!!
When a trace of doubt enters the mind,
it becomes a different matter altogether.

It is difficult to travel in a one track path when many people with many minds and with many thoughts interact.

I put the same question to my guruji.

Why can't the temple authorities collect the milk after the abhishekam
and distribute it to the poor children in the neighborhood?

He said that we have to offer food to five different categories of people.

This falls under bootha yagnam. It will feed many creatures which we are not able to see but nothing we use or throw out ever goes in waste.

I think we are slighlty deviating from the topic.Anyway's i have to appreaciate all the responses & posts so far made.May be we conclude prayers can be in any form that connects one with god.One may be satisfied by just doiing his everyday duties with sincerety & dedication.For others it may give a sense of completion with gifting 100 people with dhoti or doing a 1000 ltr Palabhishegam.The very nature varies but the feeling is a sense of inner consolance where we think we are connected to the lord.The rest is pshycology,spirituality....etc.,

Total Faith can work miracles for the believers!
I have experienced it all my life!!!
When a trace of doubt enters the mind,
it becomes a different matter altogether.

Reminds me of a Tamil movie where Lord Krishna would keep appearing to Thengai Srinivasan but the day he doubted if it was really Krishna who came..Lord Krishna disappeared.

Hello A M Sir ,it also remains me the recent movie ,Arai enn..kadavul,performed by Mr.Prakash raj,Mr.Santhanam.its the exact situation of the people ,we are right now.I feel its a worth movie.

Dear sir,

Sometimes you have to experience it to get the feeling.Veins are not easy to locate in a collapsed state.

BTW you are opposite to me cos in the other thread you are in support of tradition and thali etc but here you do not want to give any credit to the power of Mantra and God.

I on the other hand do not hold on to tradition at all most of the while but I hold on to faith and the power of God.

Isn't it strange?

No, it is not strange. The true sign of an intellectual, I read somewhere, is the ability to hold seemingly opposing views at the same time. Mahakavi Bharathi was not afraid to hold opposing views simultaneously while being truthful to himself. For example, while he advocated expressing sensible anger (raudram pazhagu ==cultivate anger) he also declared “sinam koLvAr thamaithAmE thIyArc cuttuc ceththiduvAr oppAr” (those who get angry are like those who immolate themselves to death). He also wrote “uyir nanRu sAdhal inidhu” (Life is good, death is sweet). Such seemingly contradictory beliefs are the true sign of a passionate intellectual.

What I said with respect to tAli was that once you accept it you should guard it. It is like staying together in a marriage because of the commitment "until death do us part" even though in Hindu marriages we don't utter that phrase. To me a mantra is something of a resolution to focus on what you are doing. You can keep on repeating "You are the force behind your own actions, so go for it" will be as good a mantra as any gAyatri mantra.

But I can understand your stand. You do not go by symbolism (except for the praNava symbol Aum). The old declaration of Janaka when he gave SItA to Rama in wedding, that she will follow him like a shadow in all his activities, isn't true anymore in view of changing preferences.

Cherry picking which aspects of tradition we want to follow and which ones to discard appears to be the norm these days.

Great Dr Renuka. to me Gayatri mantra is not only great but also my life. if I dont recite Gayatri mantra even one day I feel lost. I dont take even breahfast without doing my sandhyavandanam with 108 Gayatri mantra. even for small things I recite Gayatri I get relived. I have vertigo problem. one day when I was shopping 20 km away from my house I got blackout.My wife was with me. She gave me the SOS tablet and I started reciting Gayatri Mantra. within half an hour i became perfectly alright and drove my car to my house. like this, there are so many incidents in my life. I believe in the greatness of Gayatri in total.

If he does will you be able to give him?

What will you do if the sun refuses to rise?

The verse: Tvam eva maataa, pitaa tvam eva,
tvam eva bandhuscha sakhaa tvam eva;
tvam eva vidyaa, draviNam tvam eva,
tvam eva sarvam mama Deva Deva.
= thou art my mother, thou art my father,
thou art my relations, thou art my friend;
thou art all knowlege, thou art my source,
thou art All to me oh my Lord of Lords.

I believe in Brahman, of the advaita. That God does not ask, nor expect anything from the seeker. We all are seeker of that God, with the aim that one day we will realize our true potential.

Bhagavad Gita 9.26

patram puspam phalam toyam
yo me bhaktya prayacchati
tad aham bhakty-upahrtam
asnami prayatatmanah

Translation

If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it.

So that should answer your question. Unless of course you do not trust His words.

Last edited:
.... I believe in the greatness of Gayatri in total.

Mr. Sudeshwer:
I have never questioned another person's belief or faith because those issues are personal. If you believe in the greatness of gAyatri mantra that is fine. I have no business in dissuading you from that. What I was suggesting was an alternate pathway which might have caused the same expected end result. I am sure you have heard the expression காக்கை உட்கார பனம்பழம் விழுந்தது. I was pointing out to that possibility. Unless one's belief impinges severely on my activities I do not interfere in that belief. Live and let live is my philosophy.

Mr. Sudeshwer:
I have never questioned another person's belief or faith because those issues are personal. If you believe in the greatness of gAyatri mantra that is fine. I have no business in dissuading you from that. What I was suggesting was an alternate pathway which might have caused the same expected end result. I am sure you have heard the expression காக்கை உட்கார பனம்பழம் விழுந்தது. I was pointing out to that possibility. Unless one's belief impinges severely on my activities I do not interfere in that belief. Live and let live is my philosophy.

You are on a roll, your post one after another is good, Hats off to you sir.

Last edited:

Cherry picking which aspects of tradition we want to follow and which ones to discard appears to be the norm these days.

Yes you are right..you pick the tradition cherries and I pick the religious cherries!!LOL

Mahakavi ji..so that way we are even..you honour tradition with "till death do us part" feeling and I honour God with "even till death I will never depart" feeling.

So Live and Let Live is the best policy.

Yes you are right..you pick the tradition cherries and I pick the religious cherries!!LOL

Mahakavi ji..so that way we are even..you honour tradition with "till death do us part" feeling and I honour God with "even till death I will never depart" feeling.

So Live and Let Live is the best policy.

This is democracy and we are all equal. If only we travel back a couple of hundred years and I were a king and you were my subject I could have said "Off with her head". (not that I would). sigh!!!!

This is democracy and we are all equal. If only we travel back a couple of hundred years and I were a king and you were my subject I could have said "Off with her head". (not that I would). sigh!!!!

Ha Ha Ha..there is no such thing as democracy..it's just all controlled and suppressed feelings and anger.
We humans are still very primitive..given a chance I would even hit a few people!!LOL
But becos the law is there I am forced to behave.

Last edited:
Ha Ha Ha..there is no such thing as democracy..it's just all controlled and suppressed feelings and anger.
We humans are still very primitive..given a chance I would even hit a few people!!LOL
But becos the law is there I am forced to behave.

Still you may beat them up! Only don't get caught! But, you may just walk in and beat up those agent chracters resembling 'pattasu balu'; don't think too many people would object! But, getting physical pumps up the adrenalin rush though. I was ready to beat up one guy who was staring at my wife... walked up to him, posed my verbal challenge and waited for him to get up so that I could start beating... he kept very quiet and slowly slithered away... I think you should step in and do it Renu !:smash:

Cheers!

Dear Raghy Ji

I wasn't scared when Renu narrated her ghost stories. I am NOW.
Now that you have egged her on to do some bashing - I am sure
she has me on her " HIT LIST ".:fear:

Guruvethunai
Yay Yem

Dear Raghy Ji

I wasn't scared when Renu narrated her ghost stories. I am NOW.
Now that you have egged her on to do some bashing - I am sure
she has me on her " HIT LIST ".:fear:

Guruvethunai
Yay Yem

Dear AMJI,

To be on my HIT list it not so easy..the person has to push me to limits cos I am usually quite happy go lucky types.

So do not worry..you are NOT on my hit list and you are also too far!!LOL

To hit someone these are the requirements:

1)Person has to be an extremely irritating specimen

2)Person has to be within an arms length from me.

3)Person has to be free from any co morbidity so that I won't be charged for causing grievous hurt.

4)Person has to be all alone without any electronic device that might be able to record the scene cos I don't want any footage going viral on You Tube with the song Why this Kolaveri Di playing in the background!!LOL

What will you do if the sun refuses to rise?

The verse: Tvam eva maataa, pitaa tvam eva,
tvam eva bandhuscha sakhaa tvam eva;
tvam eva vidyaa, draviNam tvam eva,
tvam eva sarvam mama Deva Deva.
= thou art my mother, thou art my father,
thou art my relations, thou art my friend;
thou art all knowlege, thou art my source,
thou art All to me oh my Lord of Lords.

I believe in Brahman, of the advaita. That God does not ask, nor expect anything from the seeker. We all are seeker of that God, with the aim that one day we will realize our true potential.

Bhagavad Gita 9.26

patram puspam phalam toyam
yo me bhaktya prayacchati
tad aham bhakty-upahrtam
asnami prayatatmanah

Translation

If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it.

So that should answer your question. Unless of course you do not trust His words.

God wants our love and devotion the invisible offerings (visible only to HIM)

and the patram, pushpam, phalam and thoyam are the visible offerings! :hail:

Words without thoughts (faith) will never to heaven go! :nono:

Last edited:
No, it is not strange. The true sign of an intellectual, I read somewhere, is the ability to hold seemingly opposing views at the same time. Mahakavi Bharathi was not afraid to hold opposing views simultaneously while being truthful to himself. For example, while he advocated expressing sensible anger (raudram pazhagu ==cultivate anger) he also declared “sinam koLvAr thamaithAmE thIyArc cuttuc ceththiduvAr oppAr” (those who get angry are like those who immolate themselves to death). He also wrote “uyir nanRu sAdhal inidhu” (Life is good, death is sweet). Such seemingly contradictory beliefs are the true sign of a passionate intellectual.

What I said with respect to tAli was that once you accept it you should guard it. It is like staying together in a marriage because of the commitment "until death do us part" even though in Hindu marriages we don't utter that phrase. To me a mantra is something of a resolution to focus on what you are doing. You can keep on repeating "You are the force behind your own actions, so go for it" will be as good a mantra as any gAyatri mantra.

I am impressed with your knowledge and your ability to quote apt words at the appropriate time. I observed it in the poonool thread also. You are knowledgeable and you are amazing. Thanks for being around here.

P.S.: I read prasad1's post 41 only after I posted my comments above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back