• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why for Sita

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends, We used to sing during marriage SEETHA KALYANA VAIBHOGAME Except the marriage where was vaibhogam in sita`s life? Soon after marriage she had toleave palace and be in forest fearing asura`s attach now and then. Even with two body guards she was abducted and kept in Asokavana. After a long cry she was taken back by Rama. We all expected now they will be happy. But to uphold his honesty Rama had to sent his preganant wife to forest. There also he needed Lakshmana to take her to forest. After delivery and bringing up children was she with her husband. She was taken by Bhoomi (in modern terms commiitted suicide). This sita and this rama who as per the story did not had a happy married life is our role model and we hail EKA PATNI VRITAM. But was he dutiful to his wife. He was not dare enough to proclaim that he has more faith in his wife and will not leave her. In order to console the followers of Rama the story is built in such a way that duplicate of Sita had gone to Lanka. Here also the mentality to see raja~s wife as PURE one. If so then why should sita be driven to forest while she was pregnant? What stopped Rama from protecting her morale?

Sapthajiha,

I agree with you. Rama/Sita’s purpose was to destroy Ravana.

Renukakarthikayan,

We have so many version of Ramayana, but Valmiki’s version only gives the exact situation and culture of India during Rama’s time. It is not only a great story, but also a history for us.

Ravi said

It is better for good girls to be like Draupati (she is a perfect lady with courage and determination) and good guys to be like Sri Ramar (following Dharma, intellectual, spiritual, courageous and determinant, great worrier against adharmam with the sense of keeping patience and love & respect to all) for a good family setup.
Ravi,

Draupati was a nice character, but she once laughed at Duryodhana and that was the reason for the war.

Friends, We used to sing during marriage SEETHA KALYANA VAIBHOGAME Except the marriage where was vaibhogam in sita`s life? Soon after marriage she had toleave palace and be in forest fearing asura`s attach now and then. Even with two body guards she was abducted and kept in Asokavana. After a long cry she was taken back by Rama. We all expected now they will be happy. But to uphold his honesty Rama had to sent his preganant wife to forest. There also he needed Lakshmana to take her to forest. After delivery and bringing up children was she with her husband. She was taken by Bhoomi (in modern terms commiitted suicide). This sita and this rama who as per the story did not had a happy married life is our role model and we hail EKA PATNI VRITAM. But was he dutiful to his wife. He was not dare enough to proclaim that he has more faith in his wife and will not leave her. In order to console the followers of Rama the story is built in such a way that duplicate of Sita had gone to Lanka. Here also the mentality to see raja~s wife as PURE one. If so then why should sita be driven to forest while she was pregnant? What stopped Rama from protecting her morale?
The vaibhogam of Rama and Sitha lies with the well-being of the universe. Their birth (avatharam) is for our cause and not for them.

Rama and Sitha lived by dharma. Today we may argue endlessly whether Rama was right or not in sending his wife to the forest. Sitha is also well-versed in dharmashasthras... Janakan says while panigrahanam that 'Sitha would be a dharmapathni to you (Rama)' i.e., it is the duty of a dharma pathi to lead the husband when he strays from the path of dharma. We never see her objecting to Rama's decisions (except when he leaves for his vanavasam) and that says it all.

We all see the same scenario with different eyes, which explain our different interpretations.

Nara,

As per Hinduism, nature does not have any power over saintly person(man or woman). You also can develop such a will power even to touch fire. Vidhura followed dharma perfectly, but he did not have exceptional will power. We have so many gods in Hinduism because we pray saints or heroes who had exceptional power.

I am also not very comfortable with many incidents in Uttra Kanda.

Last edited:
Hi,

A small quiz about Ramayana. I have not read or heard any criticism about one character in Ramayana. What is that flawless character? Any guess.

After reading so much about Rama and Sita, the following lines wont be out of place I believe. In the creation by God, woman is certainly superior to man. While the man is focussed with the task in hand women have the long term goal always in their mind. If there were no women the men's world would have been a kishkintha and it would have been unbearable யானை செய்த கோலாகலம். When Hanuman asked for permission to destroy Lanka Sita said she could have herself destroyed Lanka and Ravana in a moment. But she did not do that only to see that it is done by SriRama. In saying this as I had mentioned earlier in this thread Sita had only been true to her natural self. Also please read my interpretation of தற்காத்து தற்கொண்டான் பேணித் தகைசான்ற
சொற்காத்து சோர்விலாள் பெண். in another thread in this forum if you have the time.

I don't know... Of all the characters from Ramayana, after discussing with my wife, we think that 'Hanuman', the vaanaram was the best of the lot. Humility, capability, initiative, obedience and perseverence. Well, we vote for Hanuman.

Sri Raghy ji,

Absolutely true. We can not find any flaws in Sri Hanuman's role. Sri Hanuman found to be the best in his characteristics without any one to blame him for anything knowingly or unknowingly.

But one thing. Sri Hanuman is a bachelor.....

Unless oneself committed to Samsaram, one can be 100% perfect in his duties and responsibilities towards everyone. Though a Samsari be perfect, others closely related would have complaints against him in some or the other ways

Sapthajiha,

I agree with you. Rama/Sita’s purpose was to destroy Ravana.

Renukakarthikayan,

We have so many version of Ramayana, but Valmiki’s version only gives the exact situation and culture of India during Rama’s time. It is not only a great story, but also a history for us.

Ravi said

It is better for good girls to be like Draupati (she is a perfect lady with courage and determination) and good guys to be like Sri Ramar (following Dharma, intellectual, spiritual, courageous and determinant, great worrier against adharmam with the sense of keeping patience and love & respect to all) for a good family setup.
Ravi,

Draupati was a nice character, but she once laughed at Duryodhana and that was the reason for the war.

Sri Sapthajiha ji,

You are right. Draupati made a very sarcastic remarks on Dhuryodhana in a Maya Palace. She laughed at him and taunted him saying - "Blind son of a blind father". This remark was really very offensive.

Every character/behaviour has its own plus and minus.

We as normal human beings of this yuga need to consider the Historical characters as our role model, considering only the most important positive traits.

Needles to say - "No One Is Perfect"

Sri. Ravi said:-

"Unless oneself committed to Samsaram, one can be 100% perfect in his duties and responsibilities towards everyone. Though a Samsari be perfect, others closely related would have complaints against him in some or the other ways"

Sri. Ravi,

It almost looks like you prefer to stay as a Brahmachari! :biggrin1: Samsari also develops a thick skin too! :drum:

Sri. Ravi said:-

"Unless oneself committed to Samsaram, one can be 100% perfect in his duties and responsibilities towards everyone. Though a Samsari be perfect, others closely related would have complaints against him in some or the other ways"

Sri. Ravi,

It almost looks like you prefer to stay as a Brahmachari! :biggrin1: Samsari also develops a thick skin too! :drum:

Sri Raghy ji,

You have mistaken...

The message that I have passed on is just to focus on the practical life situations and I believe, such messages, highlighting the realities of life in no way can be considered as one's preferences/decisions.

"Samsaaram ethukaamal eppadi Vaazhkaiyai Suvaikka Mudiyum?"
:bounce:

Dear all,
Since we are discussing Ramayana here, i would like someone to tell me the answer to a nagging question I have.
I have asked this question before in another thread but got no response.

The question is what is Ravana's actual name?
Ravana was a term used to describe him.
Two explanations given for this.
1) He made others cry by just his very presence.
2) He was roaring loudly when pinned down by Lord Shiva when he tried to lift Mount Kailash and out came Shiva Tandava strotram

He is also called Paulasya.But that is just because he is son of sage Pulasya.
Just like how Arjuna is Pandava being son of Pandu.

So can anyone tell me what was his actual name given by his parents?

renuka

Dr. Renuka ji,

If I remember well and I am not wrong, Ravana was named at the time of birth as "Dasamukha" ( Paththu mugam ullavan)

Dear RaviJi,

Ravana was called Dashamukha because he had mastered the 4 vedas and 6 shastras.(Hence Dashamukha)
He was not born with 10 heads in the literal sense.
Anyway thank you for responding.

renuka

Dear RaviJi,

Ravana was called Dashamukha because he had mastered the 4 vedas and 6 shastras.(Hence Dashamukha)
He was not born with 10 heads in the literal sense.
Anyway thank you for responding.

renuka

I thought Ravana was called 'dasamugha' because he mastered 4 vedhas and 6 Upanishads. Seems like I was not right. Thanks for the information.

this new definition of dasamugha, sure takes yet another thrill out of ramayana for me.

i sure enjoyed the movie when i was young, with ravana's heads regularly chopped off by rama's astharams.

all my imagination of the weirdness of this guy, even though he was an iyer brahmin, (poonul/viboothi), and a deep sympathy inspite of my family's strong rama orientation, has now been whittled away.

please restore the 10 heads to ravana, for the sake of us பாமர மக்கள் to whom these constant intellectual explanations to explain away physical eccentricites into philosophical euphemisms, is not only tiring, but appear to be a game in 'one upmanship'.

back to the real earth folks :)

Sri. Kunjuppu,

I am bent upon breaking your heart! I heard that Ravana could concentrate on ten different activities at the same time; he got the name 'dasamugha' for that reason too! :heh:

Respected Renuka ji

Why not ravana has ten heads? Because, his own son "thrisirasura" has three heads. Even in that same time, karthaveeryarjuna (who is a disciple of Dhathathreya and captured ravana once) has 1000 arms. Why am asking this is are there only 6 shastras though we count them in number as 6. Also, I heard that ravana is a master in 64 arts. Can we say that he has 64 heads instead for that? The dhaityas (Asuras) have magical powers and having ten heads and all are very simple for them. In all our temples, Ravana sculpture and even "Kailasa vahanam (depicting ravana holding Kailasa hills) also have Ravana with ten-heads. So, I think Ravana might possessed ten heads. When rama removed ravana's heads in the war, new heads sprout from his neck. Then by the advise of vibishana, rama targetted ravana's heart and because of that arrow ravana died.

Pranams

Respected Renuka ji

Why not ravana has ten heads? Because, his own son "thrisirasura" has three heads. Even in that same time, karthaveeryarjuna (who is a disciple of Dhathathreya and captured ravana once) has 1000 arms. Why am asking this is are there only 6 shastras though we count them in number as 6. Also, I heard that ravana is a master in 64 arts. Can we say that he has 64 heads instead for that? The dhaityas (Asuras) have magical powers and having ten heads and all are very simple for them. In all our temples, Ravana sculpture and even "Kailasa vahanam (depicting ravana holding Kailasa hills) also have Ravana with ten-heads. So, I think Ravana might possessed ten heads. When rama removed ravana's heads in the war, new heads sprout from his neck. Then by the advise of vibishana, rama targetted ravana's heart and because of that arrow ravana died.

Pranams

Dr. Renuka ji,

Today morning I could not spare my time much and I couldn't post further.

Based of above guesses by Durga, I feel I have correctly learned to point that Ravana was named at his birth by his parents as "Dasamuga"

Last edited:
Dear Durgadasan,
Thank You for explanation.
Can you please help me find out what Ravanas actual name was?

Dear Kunjuppu,

You are no Pamara.
You can be a Pamara Siksha to all of us with your point blank direct to the point approach.

renuka

Dear Raviji,

I had posted reply to Durgadasan maybe at about the same time you posted reply to me.
I hope you dont think I ignored you.
thanks for reply
renuka

Dear Raviji,

I had posted reply to Durgadasan maybe at about the same time you posted reply to me.
I hope you dont think I ignored you.
thanks for reply
renuka

Dr. Renuka ji,

Not at all... I can understand this.

By the way I could come accross an article - "Ravana- The Truth Behind the Demon"

There I could come to know that his birth name was - "DASAGRIVE", which means "one with ten heads".

The article can be read from this link -
Ravana: The Truth Behind The Demon

Dear friends,
The discussion has moved from Urmila = sita to ravana. Sincethe discussionis on Ramayana I would like to know the following.
1. Why is it shown that a intelligent monkey like Hanuman had forgotten the Moolika andhad to bring entire Mountain and replace the same overnight?
2.Vibishana, brother of Ravana was given asylum and made King only because he has changed stand at the nick of time (fore father of present day politicians). Why was he not treated as traitor and killed?
3. Why is it that on a hear say Rama had to leave sita in a forest ( to protect wife tilldeath is betrayed by Rama)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back