• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to be Happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aristotle said:
Happiness depends upon ourselves.

We all know that Happiness is a state of mind...It is a direction and not a destination....All philosophers, motivational thinkers talk about it..It is a feeling of well being characterised by pleasant feelings & positive energy...How do we achieve this state ...

Happiness is a state of mind achieved wherein one has no desire for requiring any particular material objects in life. If the mind has reached this stage, then a person is really happy.

If a person craves for any material worldly desires, then the person cannot achieve any mental happiness. Reason - there is no end to attain worldly pleasures - it always increases and there is no end or limit to an individual's desire.

Last edited:
If a person craves for any material worldly desires, then the person cannot achieve any mental happiness. Reason - there is no end to attain worldly pleasures - it always increases and there is no end or limit to an individual's desire.
Very true! ஆசையே அழிவுக்குக் காரணம்; அழிவது ஆனந்தம் (happiness)!

Actually material can be viewed as necessity and leave it at that level.
We need material for day to day life.

I needed a printer for my lap top yesterday and I got one.
I needed a pair of new shoes and I got one 2 days ago.

We just need to know where to draw the line.

Material and money is not the enemy of men..desire is the enemy of men.
Sometime I wonder why some swamijis tell devotees to look upon money,material,woman as enemies..instead of telling them to control their desires.

I dont think suppression is the answer to controlling one's desire.
Without desire control even religion can becomes one's own enemy.

My own experience is that whatever activity one takes up, we should do it passionately...Pursue excellence in that ...When you take up a career do what your heart desires...
The 3 Idiots movie (Tamil: Nanban)has several lessons.

Actually material can be viewed as necessity and leave it at that level.
We need material for day to day life.

I needed a printer for my lap top yesterday and I got one.
I needed a pair of new shoes and I got one 2 days ago.

We just need to know where to draw the line.

Material and money is not the enemy of men..desire is the enemy of men.
Sometime I wonder why some swamijis tell devotees to look upon money,material,woman as enemies..instead of telling them to control their desires.

I dont think suppression is the answer to controlling one's desire.
Without desire control even religion can becomes one's own enemy.
There is a difference between spending on necessity and discretionary.
The examples you quote are the necessities for you do what you need to.
But the one you missed mentioning - the expensive cell phone you bought last month is an example of material :)

There is a difference between spending on necessity and discretionary.
The examples you quote are the necessities for you do what you need to.
But the one you missed mentioning - the expensive cell phone you bought last month is an example of material :)

HELLO!!! I think you are dialing the wrong number.
When did I buy an expensive cell phone ??
Mine is a simple Nokia with no MMS function too.Just calls and sms..not even color screen and it only cost me some RM90(Ringgit Malaysia 90..that about Rupees 1,260)

I dont like expensive phones.

Cheaper ones work as good and even if you leave it anywhere no one will steal it cos the thief probably has a better model than mine!!LOL

Last edited:
I remember reading about Renu's choice of cell phone! Probably, Ozone Sir missed that post!! :ranger:

Phone companies cannot bet their business if everyone thinks that way.
They cannot keep their employees happy

Didnt I tell you I have a problems spending money?I cant buy too costly stuff.
I dont like expensive cars either cos spare parts are more expensive too.

Local made Msian cars are good and comes with nice names ..my car model's name is Iswara(See where can you get a car with the name of God?)

Dear Ozone,

You want to hear something funny??
Once my dad's relatives decided to do some homa/pooja just for general well being of the family and they asked us to join.
We joined with the intention for doing it for God and not for anything else.

After Homa was over the priest came up to me and my dad and asked us if we were happy with the homa.
We didnt know what to answer cos if we say we were satisfied that means we were judging the priest isn' t it?
And we didnt want to think of benefits too cos that was not our intention to start with (but we gave a handsome fee to the priest for the services rendered)

So we told him..since it was done in the name of God everything should be fine but the priest was not happy with the answer.

He said but I need to tell you the benefits of the Homa so that you will be satisfied.
We told him its Ok as long its for God that should be enough.

Then the priest said all your other relatives were asking me the benefits even before the Homa and you dont want to know what is in store for you?

We said no its Ok.We didnt have the intention to know benefits when we did the Homa.
He said only when you know the benefits you will want to do more Homas and acquire more merits.

Then the priest told me"If people thought like you..I will have to wind up my job and I wont be able to make a living"

Moral of Renu's story:

It is good for so many businessmen - including the priest - that generally people are not like Renu!! :pound:

I do hope you will explain the benefits of what you do, when your patients ask? :)

Dear Ozone,

That question doesnt arise cos patients always ask us doctors "docs what are the side effects?"

So for us it not Phala Shruti to recite!!LOL

The usual dialogue goes thus:

"இருபத்து நாலு / முப்பது ஆறு / நாற்பத்தெட்டு

மணி நேரத்துக்குப் பிறகு தான் எதுவும் சொல்லமுடியும்!"
:tsk:

To answer your question How to be happy,

You can never able to achieve that state because, most fundamentally, recognize that happiness is a state of mind.

To simplify the terms, how well you are fooling your mind, where you can make your mind feel like being very happy.

If you are exited about something, do it then and there...!!!

From my experience, If I want to see my Mom, I just talk to her atlength and tune my mind as I am talking to her physically.

Imagination is one of the best qualities of a human being, I always imagine any damn thing which makes me happier today.

hello VR,mam, certain conditions will be as WAIT AND WATCH SITUATIONS ,to elicit the features of the diseases and so that becomes a valuable cinema dialogue.(the DR,removes his /her opticals and state this version with a deep back ground music and so on........)

hello VR,mam,to the post 92, certain conditions will be as WAIT AND WATCH SITUATIONS ,to elicit the features of the diseases and so that becomes a valuable cinema dialogue.(the DR,removes his /her opticals and state this version with a deep back ground music and so on........)

hello VR,mam, certain conditions will be as WAIT AND WATCH SITUATIONS ,to elicit the features of the diseases and so that becomes a valuable cinema dialogue.(the DR,removes his /her opticals and state this version with a deep back ground music and so on........)

ha ha ha..you know have you wondered how come in movies Blood Cancer(Leukemia) is diagnosed by just checking the pulse rate?

And in some movie also some diagnosis where a girl cant have a married relationship cos she will die if she did so.

All weird diagnosis..wonder why the cant get some doctor to help them out with their script requirements.

Imagination is one of the best qualities of a human being, I always imagine any damn thing which makes me happier today.

Dear Ashok,

You remind me of this song:

vaanam keezhE...vandhaal yenna...
ada boomi mElE...pOnaal yenna...
maayam ellaam maayam
idhil manidhan nilai yenna...
vaadaa raajaa vaa vaa
idhil mudhalum mudivenna

ada boomi mElE...pOnaal yenna... haaa

iravum pagalum...yenakkoru mayakkam (2)
ninaivum manamum kudhiraiyil parakkum
oonjal pOlE...yennuLLam aada
mElum mElum vEgam kooda (2)
naanum ingE kaaNum inbam
nijamO nizhalO kadhaiyO kanavO

vaanam keezhE...vandhaal yenna...hahhaahaa
maayam ellaam maayam
vaadaa raajaa vaa vaa
idhil mudhalum mudivenna

tharath thara thara tharath thara thara thaa tharaa

paravai mirugam azhuvadhu illai (2)
kavalaik kadalil vizhuvadhu illai
kaNNeerp pookkaL yen vaazhvil illai
naanum kooda paravai jaadhi (2)
pazhagip paarththaal theriyudhu sEdhi
dhinamum manampOl thiriyum kuruvi (vaanam keezhE)

laa...paabaaba
laa...paabaaba
laa..pabababa

adadaa vizhimEl azhagugaL theriya (2)
arugil irundhu abinayam puriya
peNNO poovO...ponveNNilaavO
aadai soodum vaadaik kaatrO (2)
meeNdum meeNdum theeNdath theeNda
idhamO padhamO inidhO pudhidhO

vaanam keezhE...vandhaal yenna...hahhaahaa
boomi mElE...pOnaal yenna...
maayam ellaam maayam
vaadaa raajaa vaa vaa
idhil mudhalum mudivenna

hi dr ,to yur post 97, its all in the movie game.(i remember actor vivake ,stating for a question does he know wat cancer is ,he says yes ,i hav seen it in many movies which educate all common man ,for mistaking zodic sign in DHOOL movie ) so ,its like so many terms make get famillar through the big silver screen.

hi dr ,to yur post 97, its all in the movie game.(i remember actor vivake ,stating for a question does he know wat cancer is ,he says yes ,i hav seen it in many movies which educate all common man ,for mistaking zodic sign in DHOOL movie ) so ,its like so many terms make get famillar through the big silver screen.

You want to hear real life incidents?

I once had a patient..a local party from here who was speaking with a fake american accent and she said she had a Migrane.

So I kind of took it for granted that she knew what a Migrane was but when I asked her can you show me which side is hurting the left or right side..she pointed to her left knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back