• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thinking in English- Its been 60 years post Independence!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of, sorry about the spacing. Secondly, Arya Samaji wayshave been hugely criticized by Ambedkar in his essays on the Dharmashastras and unless they no longer have the Varna System in place and now give women an equal position, they are not exactly the best solution(Ambedkar). That said, I mentioned Gandhi because he was much ahead of his time and he did his bit. Like I said, we need his spirit.

As far as Congress members of the 1950s anre concerned, I only recall mentioning RSS. The INC, was, on the whole in favour of the bill(internal differences did exist though) and so, I didn't bother to mention Dr. Prasad or Rajaji.

As far as exogamy is concerned, well, we have to consider our parents who will be marrying the other family. I'm not sure if its completely 'ok' to disobey them. However, inter-caste marriages definately dilute the barriers and help improve social conditions.

Sri Nara- If one suddenly opposed all rituals, then it would be difficult to sustain the religion. I'm not suggesting that rituals are all there is to Hinduism. However, every religion has 'sacred' ceremonies and suchlike, we need to revise the existing ones so that they do not, at the very least oppress.

First of, sorry about the spacing. Secondly, Arya Samaji wayshave been hugely criticized by Ambedkar in his essays on the Dharmashastras and unless they no longer have the Varna System in place and now give women an equal position, they are not exactly the best solution(Ambedkar). That said, I mentioned Gandhi because he was much ahead of his time and he did his bit. Like I said, we need his spirit.

As far as Congress members of the 1950s anre concerned, I only recall mentioning RSS. The INC, was, on the whole in favour of the bill(internal differences did exist though) and so, I didn't bother to mention Dr. Prasad or Rajaji.

As far as exogamy is concerned, well, we have to consider our parents who will be marrying the other family. I'm not sure if its completely 'ok' to disobey them. However, inter-caste marriages definately dilute the barriers and help improve social conditions.

Dear Meghs,

I hope Srimathi Happy Hindu sees your post.She will surely support your views as I see you both tend to think alike.Hopefully she sees this thread.

As a confirmed feminist, I would like the women to take the lead and I shall support them with all the might at my disposal whose testosterone is on the wane :).

Cheers!

Sri Nara,

Can't men listen to the outcry of our women and start the revolution? This way we would not only get 100% support from women but can be their heartthrob too :)

Sri Nara,

Can't men listen to the outcry of our women and start the revolution? This way we would not only get 100% support from women but can be their heartthrob too :)

Hey Ravi,
Nara anna stands a risk also.If he becomes a heart throb his Biwi might not be too happy so the best would be a guy who is 30 something & an eligible bachelor who can be the Top Cat and have his mice dancing around him too.

Want to take up the post?I will support you.

Hey Ravi,
Nara anna stands a risk also.If he becomes a heart throb his Biwi might not be too happy so the best would be a guy who is 30 something & an eligible bachelor who can be the Top Cat and have his mice dancing around him too.

Want to take up the post?I will support you.

Dear Renuka,

A unmarried bachelor if takes up the initiative and revolt, than it would end up into different kinda issues. May be you could read between the lines.

So, people like Sri Nara, in India, can take up the assignment, IMO..

Sri C Ravi- You imply that men have aboulutely no role in household duties. It was My Father who dressed me, plaited my hair, fed me and bought all my clothes and(wait for it...) even choose my earring and lined my eyes with kohl! My mother had to leave early in the morning and so, my father took over a lot of the duties that are traditionally assigned to women and did quite a spendid job. He never forgot a single detail.
So, as far as career is concerned, my parents worked as quite the 'team' and my mother rose to be the first woman who... lets not get into the details. I suppose it may be "unusual" but like I said, a progressive man and an egalitarian marriage can radically alter gender biases. Like I said, convention IS NOT morality.

I REST MY CASE.

Sri Meghavarshini,

I didn't imply that men have aboulutely no role in household duties. I have come across many households where men were much active in household chores.. I was mesmerised too and was waiting for the right time to fulfill "Manaviyai Kaiyil Vachchu Thaanganum" :)

When I posts my views, I tend to include some of my female friends opinions, who consider/thinks that men, especially TB men are never supportive to their wives.

Last edited:
Maybe our Gurus(SHankaracharya, Andavan Swami and suchlike) might help, they have been rather progressive at times(I believe they urged people not to take doweries etc). That will be true victory, not deceit.[/QUOTE]

Smt. Meghavarshini,

I would like to suggest you a another, most effective way to initiate the revolution.

You may be aware of a very intersting, eye opening program in Vijay TV - "NEEYAA NAANAA?", hosted by Mr.Gopinath..

Last year, there was a debate in that program, as wheather "THAALI" is must and does it makes any sense in todays world?

Like wise, if you could contact VIJAY TV and propose them the topic of debate on "Should women be restricted entry any more in temples/pooja room in homes during their mensus?"

Based on the outcome of the concluding debate (am sure it would be in favor), you can post a letter to TN CM Selvi J. Jayalalitha, requesting her to bring in the changes in the society. I am sure, she will take it up as a great opportunity to do some reformations and bring in gender equality. She is a good administrator, a highly talented, determined and pro active person, IMO.

Either you can take up this initiative or request any men in your family to do on your behalf and on behalf of all women.

Last edited:
Maybe our Gurus(SHankaracharya, Andavan Swami and suchlike) might help, they have been rather progressive at times(I believe they urged people not to take doweries etc). That will be true victory, not deceit.
Smt. Meghavarshini,

I would like to suggest you a another, most effective way to initiate the revolution.

You may be aware of a very intersting, eye opening program in Vijay TV - "NEEYAA NAANAA?", hosted by Mr.Gopinath..

Last year, there was a debate in that program, as wheather "THAALI" is must and does it makes any sense in todays world?

Like wise, if you could contact VIJAY TV and propose them the topic of debate on "Should women be restricted entry any more in temples/pooja room in homes during their mensus?"

Based on the outcome of the concluding debate (am sure it would be in favor), you can post a letter to TN CM Selvi J. Jayalalitha, requesting her to bring in the changes in the society. I am sure, she will take it up as a great opportunity to do some reformations and bring in gender equality. She is a good administrator, a highly talented, determined and pro active person, IMO.

Either you can take up this initiative or request any men in your family to do on your behalf and on behalf of all women.

this is a great idea from ravi.

i too have watched the concerned நீயா நானா episode in youtube. there is a thread in this forum re this, and certain folks were upset that this show was a christian plot (the host gopinath was supposed to be a xtian) to undermine hindu symbols like தாலி.

in my santhome neighbourhood, the tamil catholic women wore தாலி, took on widow's weeds and never remarried.

so we tambrams are not the only ones who adhere to தாலி. also there is no mention of தாலி in the vedas. only saptapadi.

back to the topic. if megh wants to get publicity and law passed, vijay tv is the way to go. once the law is passed, again, mainly due to tradition most women, i suspect, will not go to temple during menstruation. it will take a few generation to eschew this habit.

on an interesting note, we used to have a kannada friend, who used to go to the temple during her periods, here in toronto. till. till our ever knowing and ever dominating tambram women came to know of it, and advised her against it. :( so this women stopped what was once a healthy attitude towards herself. what to do!

Last edited:
....i too have watched the concerned நீயா நானா
I agree, நீயா நானா is a great program. We recently subscribed to Tamil package and I watched a program on single women bringing up kids by themselves. It was a great show. The host did a wonderful job of bringing out all sides of the issue.

This topic is ideally suited for this show.

Cheers!

Folks, here is something interesting -- Americans prefer sons to daughters -- and it is apparently a guy thing. Read all about it here.

Cheers!

Folks, here is something interesting -- Americans prefer sons to daughters -- and it is apparently a guy thing. Read all about it here.
Please pardon me for responding to my own post!

I urge all the members of this forum to read this article.

I myself am very close to both my children, one boy and one girl. They both are very attached to me as well. Yet, it is our daughter, who seemingly fights with both parents with much more vigor and frequency than our son, who shows affection more readily and freely.

With the advancements of modern science humanity can continue to exist without men, through artificial insemination, but cannot continue without women. Yet, the world over, boys are preferred over girls, even in the land of the free, the beacon of freedom, the city on the hill, the U.S. of A.

Men and women who prefer sons need to wake up, if this trend reported in the article continues and we get rid of all the girls, human species will go extinct, which may not be such a bad thing.

Cheers!

There are three ways to Wisom

a) First by Reflection which is the Noblest
b) Second by Imitation which is the Easiest
c) Third by Experience Which is the most bitter. (By the legendary Kung Fu Zu or popularly called as Confucius)

"""""I close my eyes and decide that the world is completely dark and blackened. Also put: Just because I cannot see doesnt mean that the other person is hiding or is not there at all. Its probably cos I am Blind."""""

I appreciate your eagerness to understand the whats and whys of many things that you talk about. While you want things to change I suggest that you know it completely why it was so in the first place (Kung FU Zu might help you here. Also bear in mind if you dont know where you are coming from then how would you know where you need to go?). IF YOU CAN FIND THAT ANSWER (get wiser) then perhaps two things might happen...

a) You will not question whats been in practice

or

b) The world will follow you in the direction you lead.

My best wishes on your quest. Keep me posted when you find something.

Eashwar R

Personally I don't think so!... I expected a thunderstorm..... not even a drizzle!

Cheers!

Sri Raghy,

Ms.Meghavarshini brought in a very important subject matter to deal with it in true spirit. She helped striking an idea to my brain. So, I am too hoping positively that Megha-Varshini would for sure come back to us with thunderstorm.

I wish, she should be successful in proposing Vijay TV with this topic of debate and the program should be telecast at the earliest.

Sri Raghy,

Ms.Meghavarshini brought in a very important subject matter to deal with it in true spirit. She helped striking an idea to my brain.......

Dear Chi.Ravi,

I am not too sure. The subject may not be that important. In our families, we don't see Kanya's theetu as exclusive theetu. They are allowed to go anywhere as they wish. As you rightly mentioned, we have more protective things like pad; when they can go to office to earn, can go to school to learn, why should there be a restriction at home? But, the elderly person's still didn't allow them to light the 'deepam'. That's all. This is the practice I observed even in the 1970s..... this is age old story for me.

Elderly ladies have an option to take rest in those days. They do too. They don't seem to be interested in taking up the daily chores if they could help it. In my street, those days are usually known by 'casual leave'; that's how the ladies used to mention about those days.

Cheers!

Dear Chi.Ravi,

I am not too sure. The subject may not be that important. In our families, we don't see Kanya's theetu as exclusive theetu. They are allowed to go anywhere as they wish. As you rightly mentioned, we have more protective things like pad; when they can go to office to earn, can go to school to learn, why should there be a restriction at home? But, the elderly person's still didn't allow them to light the 'deepam'. That's all. This is the practice I observed even in the 1970s..... this is age old story for me.

Elderly ladies have an option to take rest in those days. They do too. They don't seem to be interested in taking up the daily chores if they could help it. In my street, those days are usually known by 'casual leave'; that's how the ladies used to mention about those days.

Cheers!

Sri Raghy Ji,

If you had gone through the previous posts, posted by Mr.B.Krishnamurthy and myself, you would realize that, we shared the same opinions, that you have expressed in your recent post.

I have considered Ms.Meghavarshini's topic as the most important and meaningful, on the grounds that, though a girl/lady been restricted entry into pooja room by any of her old fashioned/orthodox family members, she can atleast enter temples without guilty consciousness and with out the need to be deceitful. If the society could accept the validity of the changes requested, we can claim to have acheived reformation. I beleive, just a debate on this forum with each other can not bring in any changes in real.

Sri Raghy Ji,

If you had gone through the previous posts, posted by Mr.B.Krishnamurthy and myself, you would realize that, we shared the same opinions, that you have expressed in your recent post.

I have considered Ms.Meghavarshini's topic as the most important and meaningful, on the grounds that, though a girl/lady been restricted entry into pooja room by any of her old fashioned/orthodox family members, she can atleast enter temples without guilty consciousness and with out the need to be deceitful. If the society could accept the validity of the changes requested, we can claim to have acheived reformation. I beleive, just a debate on this forum with each other can not bring in any changes in real.

I agree with C Ravi here.All talk and no action is no use.

Sri Raghy Ji,

Why should the society accept the "validity of the changes"? Are these women so pious that they can not stop going to temple even on "those days"? Even if the answer is "yes", can't they see God at home, after all God is everywhere? Can we say that those women who by their own choice decide not to go to temple on "those days" are wanting in devotion to God? Let us remember that the issue of "those days" is not shashtra or ritual but physical and for hygenic reasons. Just because women deal with "it" in a more sophisticated ways these days does not mean that they are not impure on "those days". It is bad blood and is infectious. Even science supports it.

The other issue of "why a woman can not do abhivadaye?" or "why a woman can not be called chiranjeevi" all appear childish. If a woman wants to do abhivadaye, let her do it. So what? Heavens would not fall. Nobody stops her from doing it.

Women were confined to homes but they chose to come out to learn and earn.
People lived in villages but they chose to come out to cities
People lived in independent houses but they chose to live in flats
It is all not because they religion or their rituals wanted it but because it was convenient for them to do so.
A politician does what is good for his/her politics
A businessperson does what is good for his/her business
A common man does what is convenient for him/her.

It is as simple as that. It is **** to blame Hinduism or its rituals for someone's frustration. It is unfortunate that such people are regarded as "revolutionary". Many women elsewhere are silently practising many of the issues raised in this thread. And here in this forum, people make a hue and cry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back