• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Paranormal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would my departed loved ones and my other ancestors want to give me pain?

R
enuka, this might sound strange, but I have "experienced" my ancestor (grand mother to be precise) and sure enough this gave me a lot of sleepness nights (out of fear) and the associated pain (I 'm sure she meant me no harm). As Yamaka has pointed out, I was also under the impression that only the weak get affected by "ghostly" experiences and I have traveled many a ghostly mile without incident or fear. All this stopped 3 years ago, when my grandmother passed away. From the third day on, all male members of the family (my brother, my father, me and my son) experienced unexplained phenomena (bony hands hovering over self, soft whispering in the ears, loud sounds of things bouncing off walls, feelings of being tied down in bed etc). The more interesting aspect of this was the fact that these happenings used to peak around the thithi of her passing away (the sixth day after full-moon) every single month till varusabdhi (one-year ceremony). I would be very interested if someone can come up with an explanation of how and why these things happened, only to male members, around the thithi and only for one year.

generally,for one year the males are supposed to do shrardham.after one year its believed the spirit from the body joins other ancestors either in astral world or in earth who acquire another body.many a good thing or bad things owing to karma venai.by propitiating te ancestral spirits,one can have a reasonably peaceful life is the faith.one can do sharardham thru proxy as well,wherein the spirits are propitiated.i think pundits or sastrigals are becoming less in number as the profession is becoming less lucrative for material acquirement and also the status symbol as a respectable community member is dwindlin.we are the cause for this downfall with our psuedo-education :(

Why would my departed loved ones and my other ancestors want to give me pain?

R
enuka, this might sound strange, but I have "experienced" my ancestor (grand mother to be precise) and sure enough this gave me a lot of sleepness nights (out of fear) and the associated pain (I 'm sure she meant me no harm). As Yamaka has pointed out, I was also under the impression that only the weak get affected by "ghostly" experiences and I have traveled many a ghostly mile without incident or fear. All this stopped 3 years ago, when my grandmother passed away. From the third day on, all male members of the family (my brother, my father, me and my son) experienced unexplained phenomena (bony hands hovering over self, soft whispering in the ears, loud sounds of things bouncing off walls, feelings of being tied down in bed etc). The more interesting aspect of this was the fact that these happenings used to peak around the thithi of her passing away (the sixth day after full-moon) every single month till varusabdhi (one-year ceremony). I would be very interested if someone can come up with an explanation of how and why these things happened, only to male members, around the thithi and only for one year.

Having an ESP is not a sign of a weak mind its just that such people tend to be more sensitive to signals that are not picked up by others.

For example animals can hear sounds and feel vibrations beyond the human capacity and that doesnt make animals weaker creatures.Before a Tsunami its animals that react first and we humans might be just sitting around at the beach without realizing anything until its too late.

The explanation I can think of in your case is may be one of you guys are still holding her back by your thoughts or may be she still has some unfinished desire.

One more thing you guys should consider is the Poltergeist phenomenon.In this phenomenon it might look like a haunting but its just the psychokinesis of any living individual that manifest due to intense emotional changes(for example a death of a loved one).

Psychokinesis can also affect surrounding where sounds can be heard(knocking,banging),objects can move about and even sometimes people feeling or actually been thrown by some unseen force.
Its an extreme form of disturbance of the electromagnetic fields surrounding us.
Its also seen in people who live near by High Tension Electric Cables.

During her Tithi..one of you could be thinking more of her and this psychokinesis manifests.It might just be one of you guys causing this psychokinetic changes and not really your grandmum.

Another school of thought is Ethereal Energy left behind by the departed individual.Ethereal Energy can exists for years and it independent from Physical body.Ethereal Energy is not a haunting its just energy.
Thats why we are always advised to have postive thoughts because we do leave behind some amount of ethereal energy even when we leave our room.

Last edited:
on, all male members of the family (my brother, my father, me and my son) experienced unexplained phenomena (bony hands hovering over self, soft whispering in the ears, loud sounds of things bouncing off walls, feelings of being tied down in bed etc). The more interesting aspect of this was the fact that these happenings used to peak around the thithi of her passing away (the sixth day after full-moon) every single month till varusabdhi (one-year ceremony). I would be very interested if someone can come up with an explanation of how and why these things happened, only to male members, around the thithi and only for one year.

I wanted to ask a few rational questions on this experience. For example:

bony hands: Why bony hands? Has it something to do with skeletons? Why should a ghost look like a skeleton? At least for Hindus, shouldn't it look like a pile of ashes? Or perhaps a full figure of flesh and blood?

noises: Where is the ghost getting energy from to create noises? Is it very strong? Does it eat anything? Can it create energy out of nothing?

tying down: Is the ghost very strong? How come? How is it that after dying humans become super-powerful? I can buy the spirit thing, but how will a spirit have corporal effects?

Renuka
Fantastic! I think this kind of explains the timing.
Naga
We did all the monthly dues with due-diligence, but maybe there was a slip somewhere and the events were reflective of that.
Biswa
I have had the exact same thoughts, in fact, I even wrote it off at one point as the "old hag syndrome" (all the symptoms mentioned are characterized by this well documented syndrome). The way I have explained this to myself is that the spirit was the trigger and all the effects felt were actually only felt (not really happened and that they were a result of the old-hag syndrome).

Thanks to all for sharing different perspectives on my post. Though we can explain things away, during the actual "happening" it is really scary and one feels the need to call upon one's God at that time (and believe me, at least in my case, this has worked).

I wanted to ask a few rational questions on this experience. For example:

bony hands: Why bony hands? Has it something to do with skeletons? Why should a ghost look like a skeleton? At least for Hindus, shouldn't it look like a pile of ashes? Or perhaps a full figure of flesh and blood?

noises: Where is the ghost getting energy from to create noises? Is it very strong? Does it eat anything? Can it create energy out of nothing?

tying down: Is the ghost very strong? How come? How is it that after dying humans become super-powerful? I can buy the spirit thing, but how will a spirit have corporal effects?

though i get a feel of americanism in the questions ( sorry but i ve got a few of them there ) , i am not sure if it is you not understanding or you not wanting to understand :) ...

1. He never said it was a "ghost" to start with. He spoke of how they felt. So, you could surey differentiate the feel of bony hands from normal ones ? I can, and most can.

Where does he speak about "how ghosts looked" at all ?

2. " Shouldn't it look like a pile of Ashes for Hindus " ?

To start with, it was never about looks.

I think you ve probably "filled ur mind" with ghost movies like Ring ( or started believing in Zombies as Ghosts :) ) , where Ghosts are the Dead movind around Alive.

KKBros was speaking about a different phenomena / sensation / in other words, "spirit" and surely not "zombies" !

3. Regarding what and what not , the spirit can do - Well , trust me none of us are directing "Omen"s here, to decide what and what not are possible.

You might get a chance some time - it would be better to question the spirit directly when that happens ;).

4. regarding the power of spirits - scientifically, our sneezes are good enough to blow our eyeballs out , while the friction generated out of a clap is as good as the energy required to start your car. so , i ve always felt that we dont utilize our energy completely - else, there sure is a hell a lot of it in us .

5. Come on, after dying, there is no human effect to start with ( unless u still are filled with Zombies ).

Buy it or not, you can at least respect the ones who "ve felt" it, right ? I too ve not felt anything yet / am not smart enough to recognise what i might ve felt.

But that does not make the above posts, lies does it ?

None of us might know what effects a spirit might have - but what we nw know for sure, is that people ve felt things / spirits - and are trying to understand more about it - irrespective of whether we buy into that argument or not :).

Cheers mate !

Last edited:
Renuka
Though we can explain things away, during the actual "happening" it is really scary and one feels the need to call upon one's God at that time (and believe me, at least in my case, this has worked).

on a lighter note again, your grandmom might ve just wanted to make you call upon God, more than what you generally did - and i think she might be happy that she succeeded ;) .

actually by invoking spirits thru seance was an accepted practice in some communities.as a medium so i do the seance.in fact one spirit session,the spirit will not go despite asking it to go.oray bhayam and bhedi daan...in fact i feel it was too powerful a spirit felt so drained and sapped.one of my favourite hero sherlock holmes was a seance practioner,i believe :)

I have had some interesting experience.. my brother's (my adopted one who is the most closest family I have) wife was murdered by some construction workers at her home for jewelry and money.. the day she was murdered, between 3 and 4 pm, (in madras ) I was awake late at night here in the US and had such an urge to call their house I kept pushing it away, thinking, let me call in a day or two.. I never felt an urge to call like that until that time.. and the next night, I had just dozed off, when I felt a presence of a rather large woman standing next to my bed, I was so scared for a few seconds and then, I felt her very kind eyes on me.. I relaxed.. and woke up and the feeling was gone.. the next morning, I came back from grocery shopping and my MIL gave me the news of my favorite person passing away.. I just fell down.... I can still feel the pain, My brother and his wife were such an amazing couple and individually also one of the best there is in this world.. I guess She came to say goodbye to me and to tell me to take care of her husband and guide her daughter and be a mother to her.. which I am to this day..

At another time, when I Dad visited me I knew that is the last time I am going to see him when I hugged him in the airport.. many times I have felt the pain of others and did not know why until something like this happens I understand that I certainly possess sixth sense when it comes to my loved ones.. I can go on but don't want to bore you guys.. just wanted to share one major experience in my life..

when i was in my teens, it was fashionable for folks in my neighbourhood to call the medium, through the three legged primus stove. apparently the
stove would start tapping the answers without any intervention from humans who would stay a few feet away from the stove. personally, i have
not witnessed one though.

when dad passed away, mrs k came from toronto to madras to participate in the ceremonies. she arrived on day 6, and one early morning, she came
rushing from the washroom, her face white with fear. apparently, she heard dad's voice inside the washroom, with his characterestic authoratative
tone, 'யாரது'.

my uncle who was with us at that time, explained that till the 12th day, the ghost of the departed hovers around the places of familiarity, before
starting its journey to the netherworlds!!

when i was in my teens, it was fashionable for folks in my neighbourhood to call the medium, through the three legged primus stove. apparently the
stove would start tapping the answers without any intervention from humans who would stay a few feet away from the stove. personally, i have
not witnessed one though.

when dad passed away, mrs k came from toronto to madras to participate in the ceremonies. she arrived on day 6, and one early morning, she came
rushing from the washroom, her face white with fear. apparently, she heard dad's voice inside the washroom, with his characterestic authoratative
tone, 'யாரது'.

my uncle who was with us at that time, explained that till the 12th day, the ghost of the departed hovers around the places of familiarity, before
starting its journey to the netherworlds!!

Yeah I remember about the " stove josiyam" it was a bit scary and a bit mystic.. We kids were so curious.. it was fun to watch someone hardly holding the stove and asking questions.. I think there is a game called " Planchet" not sure of the spelling, but sounds like that..

You are right the spirits absolutely hover around us no doubt.. I remember when my FIL passed away my BIL suddenly felt that his father had decended on him and was trying to give my ex a message and my ex's watch had stopped at the exact time of death.. it was weird, and another BIL, said to him.. how lucky you are, father wanted to convey something to you and none of us..

.. We kids were so curious.. it was fun to watch someone hardly holding the stove and asking questions..
Ever wonder why it is wick stove or some other easily movable object? How come there was no refrigerator moving?

If seance is fun, then go ahead and have your fun, please don't say they are real.

nara,seance is real.we got answere about future events that were yet to happen.spirits exist and its real.holy spirit is even more powerful.have had personal experiance,its definitely paranormal.esp is true too.apparitions,asiriri etc are definitely true.this new moon is powerful for esoteric practices as well.

nara,seance is real..
Really NN, but then, it would have been a great shock if you had said different.

Brother, ditch all this paranormal stuff, it is all a waste and will never amount to anything concrete for you.

Take care ...

though i get a feel of americanism in the questions ( sorry but i ve got a few of them there ) , i am not sure if it is you not understanding or you not wanting to understand :) ...

I have asked my questions with a scientific bent, not an "American" bent. If you want to argue about America vs India I can open a separate thread on that. Any scientist will want to gather more data to understand that to explain the observations. If you don't understand that, then you are far removed from science, that's all I can say.

1. He never said it was a "ghost" to start with. He spoke of how they felt. So, you could surey differentiate the feel of bony hands from normal ones ? I can, and most can.

Please explain in detail the difference between ghosts and spirits. I understand they may all be classified as paranormal, but perhaps you know more.

Where does he speak about "how ghosts looked" at all ?

What is it about bony hands if it is not about looks/feeling. Is it about hearing/smelling?

2. " Shouldn't it look like a pile of Ashes for Hindus " ?

To start with, it was never about looks.

I think you ve probably "filled ur mind" with ghost movies like Ring ( or started believing in Zombies as Ghosts :) ) , where Ghosts are the Dead movind around Alive.

KKBros was speaking about a different phenomena / sensation / in other words, "spirit" and surely not "zombies" !

The phenomenon was reported to be physical (surely you have studied sound in physics). Therefore I am trying to understand the physical effect of the "spirit".

When did I say zombies? That is your word. And please don't make personal comments about my movie watching habits. You have no idea about what movies I watch.

3. Regarding what and what not , the spirit can do - Well , trust me none of us are directing "Omen"s here, to decide what and what not are possible.

You might get a chance some time - it would be better to question the spirit directly when that happens ;).

Are you really adding any information here, or just making an empty comment?

4. regarding the power of spirits - scientifically, our sneezes are good enough to blow our eyeballs out , while the friction generated out of a clap is as good as the energy required to start your car. so , i ve always felt that we dont utilize our energy completely - else, there sure is a hell a lot of it in us .

Have you heard of the term amplifier? Do you know that it uses energy? Please do me a favor and start your car by clapping without using any electrical/mechanical device. If you have really figured out how to manufacture energy from nothing, you will be a rich man soon.

5. Come on, after dying, there is no human effect to start with ( unless u still are filled with Zombies ).

What does this even mean? Being filled with zombies.

Buy it or not, you can at least respect the ones who "ve felt" it, right ? I too ve not felt anything yet / am not smart enough to recognise what i might ve felt.

But that does not make the above posts, lies does it ?

Nope, it does not. And again, since you have not realized it, I have nothing but respect for the poster (KKbros or anybody else on the thread). But that does not mean posts cannot be questioned. If we don't ask questions how will we understand more?

Try not to make personal comments or question the motivation of the poster. But do try to provide more data to justify your arguments.

None of us might know what effects a spirit might have - but what we nw know for sure, is that people ve felt things / spirits - and are trying to understand more about it - irrespective of whether we buy into that argument or not :).

Yes, agreed. You haven't felt it and I haven't felt it. Therefore we need to understand the phenomenon fully before we buy into it.

Cheers mate !
That sounded pseudo-Aussie or pseudo-Brit to me, but that is quite irrelevant to this discussion (just like your Americanism comment).

Renuka
Fantastic! I think this kind of explains the timing.
Naga
We did all the monthly dues with due-diligence, but maybe there was a slip somewhere and the events were reflective of that.
Biswa
I have had the exact same thoughts, in fact, I even wrote it off at one point as the "old hag syndrome" (all the symptoms mentioned are characterized by this well documented syndrome). The way I have explained this to myself is that the spirit was the trigger and all the effects felt were actually only felt (not really happened and that they were a result of the old-hag syndrome).

Thanks to all for sharing different perspectives on my post. Though we can explain things away, during the actual "happening" it is really scary and one feels the need to call upon one's God at that time (and believe me, at least in my case, this has worked).

kkbros,
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. Please understand that none of us are questioning your sincerity or the authenticity of your experience. What you and RK and others have described seem very interesting phenomena, the question is how they can be explained.
BTW, I may have experienced "sleep paralysis" as well. Only at that time, I didn't associate it with anything paranormal

Hey Renuka, did you read this sentence?
The likelihood of attacks by ghosts is intensified with the increase in one’s spiritual practice.

You might need to be more careful... :D

I read it but no problems cos I am 50% spiritual and 50% demonic.Haven't you seen what I write in Forum sometimes.I am Bipolar in nature so the Ghost might get confused and rather be my friends.LOL!!!

You know this discussion is reminding me of Rick Perry, gov of Texas and Republican presidential candidate. Apparently Rick Perry is part of a Christian group that is actively preparing for "the end of times" and the second coming of JC. Isn't that when the spirits will rise again from every graveyard to stand in line for Judgement Day?

Biswa
Absolutely no hard feelings. I love the discussions in this forum and there needs to be contrasting points of view for any discussion to be healthy.

Renuka
You have just posed the question that has been troubling researchers and spiritualists alike for ages. Why negative energies when there is a benevolent God? In the opinion of some (and that includes me) the existence of evil is to achieve the ultimate great good of free will (Platinga's free will defense).

Biswa
Absolutely no hard feelings. I love the discussions in this forum and there needs to be contrasting points of view for any discussion to be healthy.

Renuka
You have just posed the question that has been troubling researchers and spiritualists alike for ages. Why negative energies when there is a benevolent God? In the opinion of some (and that includes me) the existence of evil is to achieve the ultimate great good of free will (Platinga's free will defense).

Thank you KKbros. Your attitude is an asset to the forum. Your question to Renuka is exactly the one I have. (She is probably taking a break from the forum though).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back