• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Social Justice in Hinduism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose I should clarify that it is only my understanding of karma I alluded to, not 'proper'.

[...]

So this is in a nutshell my understanding. So I would also be interested in your further or contradicting insights, Nara.

Hello Sir:

Greetings! I appreciate your clarification.

As Tip O'neill, the Speaker of the US House of Representatives during Reagan era used to say, all of us have the right to our own opinions, but we do not have the right to our own facts.

Before giving my personal opinion, let me describe the orthodox view on Karma. This description is based on "Thathva Thraiya Chintana adhikaram" (Chapter 5) of Srimat Rahasya Thraiya Saram of Swami Sri Desikan. In this chapter, Swami Sri Desikan describes the nature of the three thathvas, Chetana, Achetana, and Iswara. While this text is primarily a Sri Vaishnava text I believe the explanation of Karma is not a controversial one, i.e. is acceptable to other schools of Vedantham as well.

Karma accrues only to Jivas in Samsara. There are three categories of Karma, (i) punya, (ii) papa, and (iii) anubhaya. Actions prescribed by shasthras for a specific result (phala) are punyas. Actions forbidden by shasthras are papa. Actions that are neither forbidden nor prescribed for any particular result are anubhaya, i.e. neither punya nor papa. The accumulated papa and punya follow each Jiva and continue to affect them. This accumulated karma over countless births are grouped into prarabhda and sanchita karmas. Prarabhdha karma is the one that has already started affecting the Jiva while Sanchita karma is the baggage that is still not begun to affect the jiva.

A zero balance in karma equals release from this samsara. Bagavat Ramanuja in Sri Bhashyam declares that only through Bhakthi Yoga, which is quite technical not just Bhakti, or "prapatti" (complete surrender like Vibhishana or Drowpathi), one can be rid of the punya and papa which will deliver the jiva from samsara to moksham. I think the Advaitins believe j~yana is the way to moksham.

While the Jiva is still in samsara, the nature of rebirth is determined by the prarabhdha karma. Thus a brahmin birth is a result of punya and a shudra or chandala or female birth is as a result of papa. So, the station into which one is born is a direct consequence of accumulated karma. This is why I said in an earlier post, "poorva-janma Karma has served as a convenient and self-serving rationalization for the evil of untouchability."

Now, as for me, I don't believe in reincarnation. So all this talk of poorva-janma karma is bunk IMHO. 99.9% of DNA is the same for all human beings on this earth. The physical and intellectual differences we see are mostly superficial and very minimal. We must treat each other as brothers and sisters. As Mahakavi Bharathi says,

சாதி கொடுமைகள் வேண்டாம் - அன்பு
தன்னில் செழித்திடும் வைய்யம்

This is my philosophy!

Cheers!

Aum Sivaya:

I thought reincarnation was a given. Are you an Abrahamic, or an atheist then? Perhaps you are a rationalist?

I believe I know who I was in my last life, and the immediate past lives of 4 out of 5 of my children. The orthodox view, as well as the view of all swamis I have ever heard, of is one of reincarnation.

But, as you said, it is to each his own.

My point of view relies on intuition and mystic insight, not on the intellectual grid. I haven't read many scriptures. I did read a translation of Manikavasagar's Tiruvacagam a long time ago. I don't consider the Gita as THE scripture, as I am a Saiva. The Vedas, Agamas, the Tirumurai, and Tirumular's Tirumandiram are more to my liking.

Aum Namasivaya

Nara,

This is understandable, who would want to be associated with Manu in this day and age. If Swami Vivekananda rejected Manu I salute him. That makes him not a Vaideeka. I challenge you Sir, ask any orthodox Vaideeka to repudiate Manu Smirthi. Paramacharya did not. None of the present day Sankaracharyas will repudiate it. None of the other brahmincal orders would repudiate it.

The Manu smrithi is loaded with interpolations. According to some, the interpolations stand out because they do not correspond to the kind of old sanskrit used in other parts of the text. The interpolations, am told, is in a slightly diff kind of sanskrit that came to be used in the later times (yet to verify this explanation though).

Anyways, Buhler and Sanskrit scholars explained the interpolations in the 1908 publication of the
Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bombay. According to the wiki article on Manusmrithi, Surendra Kumar considered 1,214 verses are authentic and the other 1,471 as interpolations.
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
However, some sections do not consider them 'interpolations'. Instead they consider them as reflecting changes in the society. The interpretation also seems to vary. Parts of the manu smrithi to sections of the yoga sect seem to mean a very different thing than the external varna system. They consider all 4 varnas as existing within one's own self.

I do not understand wht you mean by repudiating manu smrithi. imho, each sect or school seems to interpret it differently; and surely each has its own right to do so.

Several monastic traditions do not follow the Manusmrithi, they are certainly Vaideeka. On what basis wud you say that rejecting Manu smrithi is equivalanet to not being a vaideeka (request you to elaborate on what you mean or consider as 'vaideeka' ).

Well, this is distinction without a difference. In any case, Sri Krishna says female, Vaisya, and Shudra are born out of sinful Yoni, whereas the brahmana and kahstriya are born out of puNya. Look up what Yoni means and make up your own mind as to what is meant.

This explanation too varies in the monastic and purvamimansaka traditions. Can you please explain why you think papayonah refers to a 'sinful' yoni ? And did the verse say that females, vaishyas and shudras are born of a papayonah?

Which is the verse that says brahmana and kshatriyas are born of punya? And on what basis would you think that brahmana refers to the priestly sections (esp when krishna said 'of the sages i am narada', obviously narada was not from the priestly section), and what wud you consider the term 'kshatriya' as referring to (btw, can you please point out to me who or which are the kshatriya or kshatriya communities in present day and past day india).

From what i understand is that the Mahabharat is not free from interpolations either. And the interpretation of certain purvamimansakas reg the bhagvad gita verses so far has found a few supporters only from a few swamis of the ramakrishna mission (which is quite out-of-place since they are supposed to be following the teachings of the Sri Ramakrishna and Swami Vivekananda).

Spoke to sections such as the arya samaj, avadhoota tradition, some yoga traditions, and a few other dashanami traditions, but none consider varna and jaati as the same. Also, gathered from them that none of the uttaramimansaka vendanta monastic traditions of india consider varna and jaati as the same. This does not mean they are not vaideeka ofcourse.

Further, Arjuna declares in Shloka 41 of Chapter 1 that Varna Sankraha, i.e. mixing of Varna, will result if the women of the clan become blemished. Further, in the next Shloka, Arjuna says that due to the mixing of Varna, the virtues of Jati and Kulam (clan) that have existed from beginning-less time, will be destroyed. In this Shloka, Arjuna makes a clear connection between Varna and Jati. Finally, in Shloka 44, Arjuna cites the authority of clan elders for this position. So, Arjuna claims, on the authority of elders, mixing of Varna/Jati will result if the chastity of women is not preserved.

Reg the chapter 1 you are referring to, is it the same as Book 1 paushya parva? Could you provide the sanskrit shlokas please?

Btw, at the end of the war, hordes of men folk from every tribe that took place in the war were killed (no saying what happened to the womenfolk and children). Atleast tehre is some idea that the vrishni women were tried to be settled in gujarat (btw, the vrishni men were wiped out in the war, so which community do you think the womenfolk and children merged into). A war event always seems to signify 'inter-mixing' to some extent or the other (what ppl fought and died for might have been unpreventable after a war was over, same applies to the hindu-muslim fights in the later day india).

If Varna is strictly determined by one’s guna and conduct and is not a function of one’s birth, why does he need to protect the chastity of women?

Any woman wud want her chastity protected irrespective of guna, varna, etc.

In the seventeen chapters that follow, Lord Sri Krishna never once disputes Arjuna on this issue of connection between Varna and birth. He dispels Arjuna of many of his delusions, yet the Lord chooses not to dispel him of this one. The Lord does speak of Varna several times in the course of his teachings to Arjuna, yet, never once does he correct him on this connection. Instead he reinforces the connection between Varna and birth in Chapter 9.

Please can you provide the shlokas from the specific chapters you are mentioning?

If Varna system is strictly based on gunas, then who is to tell who has brahmana gunas and who has khstriya gunas, etc.? Or, is it based on one's occupation he/she stumbles upon? Then we can't claim it is based on gunas; it is based on the occupation one happens to be in irrespective of gunas. Or, is Varna just the nature of a person not supposed to be known to others? Then, this elaborate classification system has no practical value.

On a personal note, i beleive its an other matter that the classification system was understood and interpreted differently by certain sections. But yes, i do beleive whatever was the classification system, it has no practical value today, since we are not living in some archaic age without computers, banks, etc.

The Vaideeka brahmanas don't care what other people think. They proudly hold on to the hoary supremacist and patriarchal brahmnical tradition and culture that views Varna as birth based. I do think they are otherwise good and kind people, but this religious tradition makes them unapologetically hold on to this supremacist ideology.

If the vaideeka brahmanas you are referring to are the priestly sections, then may i ask on what basis can a priest be called a brahmin, esp if the ritualist schools did not even beleive in the existence of 'brahman' in the past (if am not wrong, the uttramimansaka idealogies of 'brahman' was not adopted by the ritualists even in the age of jaimini and badrayana, and instead it came to be adopted by them in the Shankara and bhakti period; and until then the vedic homams did involve animal sacrifice).

And does being a priest mean that the person has understood 'brahman'? If you were to ask a uttaramimansaka monk, he wud say all world is brahman and all humans are capable of being brahmin, tehrefore all humans are brahmin (just as they are the other 3 varnas too).

However, this is rather embarrassing to the brahmins educated in secular institutions with advanced degrees in science and arts. So they try their darnedest to separate the Varna system from the jati system. But there is ample evidence, both textual and practical, that Varna and Jati are one and the same. Just go back and look at both Tamil and Sanskrit literature. They speak for themselves.

If you are from the purvamimansaka schools, ofcourse to you jaati and varna wud mean the same. This ofcourse does not mean that the uttaramimansaka vedantins or monastic traditions who consider jaati and varna as two different things, are wrong.

Cheers!

Nara,

I think the part referring to the Gita and Manusmrithi has already been answered to (by Shri KRS ji and myself in the above posts), so am replying to the rest of your post:

This question will not arise if you read the exchanges carefully. I was answering a claim that Swami Vivekananda advised that all Jatis should emulate the model of Brahmin and following his advice is more practical than what I am advocating, namely, complete rejection of the Varna system. It is in this context that I asked the rhetorical question whether orthodox brahmins will accept someone like Mahatma Gandhi, who probably emulated the so called model Brahmin if any, as a Brahmin. The point was, they won't, and therefore following Swami Vivekananda's advice is just as impractical as mine if the goal is to achieve a socially and culturally egalitarian society.

Thanks Nara, I stand clarified. Sorry for not understanding the context well before replying.

Reg the points above, in a way i agree (but then again it wud depend on who you refer to as brahmins - priests alone or anyone who has 'understood' or 'knows' brahman). The latter i think accept Swami Vivekananda as a brahmin, though am not sure abt Gandhi (his work i presume was not seen as being related to spiritualism, though he led a very spiritually oriented austere life).

:-) Which part of this are you really questioning, "very small percentage" or "top of caste hierarchy"? Consider the following verse from Manu Smrithi.

Both.

Reg the small percentage, was reminded of Sri Appiah ji's wonderful posts. Am reproducing a part here (the brahmin referred to by Shri Appiah ji in his posts refers to the priestly sections that turned to administrative positions i think):
http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/11601-post39.html:

If during the Pallava, Pandya, Chozha days the ratio of Brahmin settlements was 1:4 for the others, it leads to a population of 20%. Now the Brahmin population is hardly 3% Where have the 17% all gone ?
As regards the hierarchy, nope i do not think priestly sections of the society were at the top of the occupations ladder in the past. In this context, i refer to Sri Nacchinarkiniyan ji's posts (am missing him terribly):
1) http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/19887-post324.html
2) http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/19935-post363.html

I also refer to Sri Appiah's post here regarding the arya stance (though you have not mentioned it here, just to let you know how certain things got to be propagated in recent times): http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/1428-brahmins-tamil-society-2.html#post11529

Saint Tirugnansambandar, a Tamil Brahmin, was referred to as “Dravida Sisu” in tamil literature way back in the 7th century CE! There was no association of Sudra to Dravidas and Brahmin to Arya until after the British spread this canard
10.3. On account of his pre-eminence, on account of the superiority of his origin, on account of his observance of particular restrictive rules, and on account of his particular sanctification, the Brahmin is the lord of all castes (varnas).​
Btw, can you please provide info to show that the verse above by Manu was not wrongly interpreted as varna; or to show that the brahmin in this verse referred to specifically the priestly class?

Upanishads being part of the Vedas, the orthodox Vaideekas believe them to be aupurusheya, i.e. not authored by anyone. If you are a Hindu, a happy one at that, you must believe this :-).

?? Being a hindu does not mean i accept things blindly, that wud be a resigned hindu, not a happy one (not that i am really thrilled with religion based identities such as being a hindu, am much happier as just an indian, and happiest without any tagged identities). Sure, they were aupurusheya, in the context that just because one writes something, it does not become his intellectual property. They were merged in brahman so they considered the words from the brahman, and obviously claimed no authorship.

There has been some push back from others in the recent past, but the keepers of Vedas are the guardians of the (Vaideeka) religious tradition is self evident. While the three dwaja varnas are allowed to study the Vedas, only the brahmanas are allowed to teach the Vedas.

Are you sure the ones teaching vedas even till date are only the priestly sections?

I was responding to what Shri KRS had written. He was wondering how the brahmins abandoning the Varna system benefit Dalits. My response was that the brahmins themselves will be beneficiaries of such action as they will no longer be practicing or defending a pernicious system.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Karma is not a object for it to be dissected like for example genes,chromosome ,DNA.Diamond sparkles so does zirconia.But the two values being attributed in terms of worth are antirely different postulate,in my perspective.That which was seen by the seers as an object,was verbalised by rishis,to be codefied as Vedams.But none of the saptharishis for example ever claimed authorship,because that which exists,is the cause and effect as well.Despite the advancement of nuero-medicine,still the functions of the brain,is a fuzzy logic.Thank you.

gopal.

Hello HappyHindu:

Greetings!

At present this discussion has boiled down to whether or not Varna is birth based. My opinion is that it is. In support of this I have provided fact based evidence. In response I have got lots of personal opinions and rejection of inconvenient sources such as Manu Smrithi. If we go down that route there will be no end. I can also refuse to accept the story about Adhi Shankara and the hunter as interpolation. We need to have some uniform standard for what can be accepted as evidence and what cannot be.

Some people say a Brahmin is one who has understood brhman. Some others say conduct determines whether one is brahmin or not. Few others say if your are a priest you are a brahmin. Still others say it is determined by gunas. I am sure there are some who say all of these are true. And then there are people like me claiming Varna and birth are inseparably linked. There are lots of opinions beings bandied about. One's opinion on this issue is colored by whether you are a brahmin yourself, or whether you live away from India and feel a nostalgic connection to one's culture, or whether economic and educational opportunities are denied because he/she is a brahmin.

Personal opinions not withstanding, Brahmana and Shudra and the Jatis that belong to these classifications are well defined among the so called Hindu society today. We have to start from this undeniable fact. Further, the theoretical justification for this system is provided by the karma theory of orthodox brahmanas for whom Manu Smrithi is an important authority no less valid than Vedas themselves. This again is a fact not an opinion. If you do not believe me ask any Sankaracharya or leaders of any Brahmincal order. Therefore, if your opinion is different from these facts the onus is upon you to prove your case by providing some facts, not more opinions.

HappyHindu, the verses I cited from BG are widely available. Just Google and you should be able to look at them.

Cheers!

Dear Sri Nara Ji,

I started this thread with the hope that it would tackle a very real issue pertinent to our community. I did not anticipate that it would take a turn to a direction that may offend the sensibilities of quite a number of our members who are orthodox.

I have no issues with arguing, discussing and debating any issues under the sun. In my own opinion, you have raised some important issues that need to be clarified, which we will do.

But, in light of a recent experience wherein we allowed a self claimed 'neutral' person to come in our midsts to only find out that he was playing a game of charade with us and he was after all a person without the well being of our community in his heart, I need to ask you the following, before we proceed, so that our members understand the context of your stance:

1. Are you a 'Tamil Brahmin'? (Born in to such a family).
2. Do you have the well being of our community in your heart?
3. Are you here to straighten us out or are you here to hear all sides of an argument in the spirit of promoting our welfare?

I would hope that you are not offended by the above questions, but I need to ask them for our members' sake, so that we do not waste time with anyone who has an agenda against our community.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Shri KRS:

I hope I have participated in a respectful way with any ad hominem attacks.

Dear Sri Nara Ji,
1. Are you a 'Tamil Brahmin'? (Born in to such a family).

Yes, I was very much born to a Tamil Brahmin family.

2. Do you have the well being of our community in your heart?
I don't know how to answer this question. I very much love and respect elders in my family and the Matham that I belong to. On the other hand I think the Varna system must be eliminated. Do I have the well being of our community in my heart? I don't know. I will let you decide.

3. Are you here to straighten us out or are you here to hear all sides of an argument in the spirit of promoting our welfare?
I am here to present my views as strongly as possible without engaging in personal attacks or other such tactics. Consistency to POV is not something I value, but I do value pursuing truth as I see it as sincerely as I can. So, I am open to be persuaded.

I would hope that you are not offended by the above questions, but I need to ask them for our members' sake, so that we do not waste time with anyone who has an agenda against our community.

I understand your position. I entered this forum with a little bit of trepidation as well. I was surprised that my posts were allowed without censoring. I appreciate that. If you want me to stop posting please let me know and I will abide by that.

Thank you!

Dear Sri Nara Ji,

Thank you for your kind response.

This Forum have members who are totally liberal in their views on one end and folks who are totally orthodox on the other.

I have to admit, because of our recent history, when you started posting I did a quick check up on you, and found out who you are. Your answers to my questions above are consistent with that (including your love of Tamil).

We as Hindus, especially as TBs, have a vibrant history of healthy discussions on all issues. 'Thinnai Arrattai' (bench gossip) is our birth right! That is why, you will find in this Forum, we allow discussions to go on uncensored as long as they follow the decency norms and promote the welfare of our community. We think that ideas do not and should not hurt, if argued from the position of love for our culture and community. This is why when one of us says that the Brahmins should repudiate the caste system has a whole different connotation than when a Christian activist says so. Hence my questions, so that our brothers/sisters in this Forum understand the context of your arguments.

May I also say that you have only conducted yourself with utmost propriety here, though raising some real issues that may be of discomfort to some of our readers. I will be putting up arguments soon to refute most of your suppositions and assumptions - we may agree on some points, but then we may disagree on others. When we reach a stalemate, we then agree to disagree and move on. This should be the nature of a sincere debate.

Again, welcome to the Forum.

Regards,
KRS

Shri Nara,

Varna is existing.So is jadhi existing.Like the eye and the eye lashes.By birth,a brahmin child has a better means of acheiving the spirituality,as mentioned in our scriptures.I would go to the extant of saying any religious scripture,not just ours.Because,the consciousness of number of births does give him/her the leverage.But,if the society controlled by leaders want to break this mould,they will assiduosly will see to it,the varna -jadhi system is broken,which will bring an end to hinduism itself.If one breaks this,then other religioins will be easily converting people to their chosen agenda.This should remain only in the rligious belief system and not overlap to educations,reservation,jobs,powewr to lead..etc.Thank You.

gopal.

Nara,

Hello HappyHindu:

Greetings!

At present this discussion has boiled down to whether or not Varna is birth based. My opinion is that it is. In support of this I have provided fact based evidence. In response I have got lots of personal opinions and rejection of inconvenient sources such as Manu Smrithi. If we go down that route there will be no end. I can also refuse to accept the story about Adhi Shankara and the hunter as interpolation. We need to have some uniform standard for what can be accepted as evidence and what cannot be.

Me too thinks varna is by birth, but is independent of jaati. i suppose i am entitiled to follow the schools that i follow. And their interpretation. And you too are entitiled to follow the schools that you follow. Along this route, i guess we will only need to agree to disagree.

As regards interpolations and historical research, am told that standard guidelines do exist. People like Witzel, Parpola, base it on linguisitic research. Just as every language evolves, so has Sanskrit. The kind of language used in the rig is different from that used in the atharva.

If one writer has written a text in a certain version of language and an other has interpolated it with a slightly different version of the same language, then yep it does tend to stand out. Have only started reading up on how research in linguistics works, so am not able to offer any details. Hope some learned members here can offer their insights.

Some people say a Brahmin is one who has understood brhman. Some others say conduct determines whether one is brahmin or not. Few others say if your are a priest you are a brahmin. Still others say it is determined by gunas. I am sure there are some who say all of these are true. And then there are people like me claiming Varna and birth are inseparably linked. There are lots of opinions beings bandied about. One's opinion on this issue is colored by whether you are a brahmin yourself, or whether you live away from India and feel a nostalgic connection to one's culture, or whether economic and educational opportunities are denied because he/she is a brahmin.

The social issue aside, i began experimenting with religion rather young, long before there was any chance to get coloured with nostalgia, etc. I found my first guru at 14. Since then, i have been following the monastic traditions. Sought other gurus, but again in the monastic schools. Not sure why am not able to give up and follow any other version of hindusism other than the vedantin monastic schools. Just as you wud feel persecuted if you were forced to make 'drastic changes', and give up your version of understanding of whichever school you follow, i too wud feel the same.

As far as my understanding currently goes, yes a brahmin is one who has understood brahman, conducts himself the sattvic way, and going by brahmasutra - it is one who merges into brahman thru meditative practice.

i surely can argue with you, for the sake of debating, whether or not a priest is a brahmin, but am certain that wud hurt many. Moreover, it wud be pointless leading to nothing meaningful. Plus, in any debate, one wud tend to argue based on his / her own personal learning. Just because i argue based on my learning in a certain way does not mean your learning based on your schools is wrong. As mentioned before, each person simply follows his / her mind and heart.

Personal opinions not withstanding, Brahmana and Shudra and the Jatis that belong to these classifications are well defined among the so called Hindu society today. We have to start from this undeniable fact. Further, the theoretical justification for this system is provided by the karma theory of orthodox brahmanas for whom Manu Smrithi is an important authority no less valid than Vedas themselves. This again is a fact not an opinion. If you do not believe me ask any Sankaracharya or leaders of any Brahmincal order. Therefore, if your opinion is different from these facts the onus is upon you to prove your case by providing some facts, not more opinions.

Have never denied that for othodox brahmins, the Manusmrithi is an important text. Am also aware of the reaction elicited when the orthodox sections are told that the largest part of MS is an interpolated version. Incidentally, the interpolated parts also happens to be the reason why some circles diffentiate on vedic brahmins and brahmins that came to be from the puranic, dharmashastra times.

Not sure where i have offered opinions without facts in the last two posts. If you wish to take the discussion further, it wud be nice if you can answer two of my posts above. But do take note that you wud be arguing from the purvamimasaka ritualist dharmashastra version of 'brahmanism' and i wud be doing the same based on the uttaramimansaka monastic vedanta version of 'brahmanism'. Am not not sure it is worthwhile.

If i were to bring out what each school of hindusim follows as opposed to the purvamimansaka dharmashastra version, am sure my words wud read as very painful to many. In the past few months, have touched miserable abysmal lows in terms of etiquette, and hv bn utterly despising myself. Wud not want to bring more wrath on myself.

HappyHindu, the verses I cited from BG are widely available. Just Google and you should be able to look at them.

Have listened out to quite a handful of gurus of diff schools for the version followed by each school. Each school has its supporting literature. Am sorry but on a personal note, i tend to reject the purvamimansaka dharmashastra version.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hello HappyHindu:

Greetings!

purvamimasaka ritualist dharmashastra version of 'brahmanism' and i wud be doing the same based on the uttaramimansaka monastic vedanta version of 'brahmanism'.

The title of this thread is "Social Justice in Hinduism". So, when you keep referring to poorva and uttra mimamsaka, I fail to see relevance.

Anyway, let us at least try to clearly understand the place of uttramimamsa in the sacred texts of Vaideeka Madham aka Sanatana Dharma, aka Hinduism, call what you like.

The Hindu cannon consists of three texts collectively called Prastana Thraiyam. They are Vedam, Srimat Bhagavat Geetha, and Brhma Sutra. Vedam consists of karma Kanda (Poorva mimamsa) and Jnana kanda (uttara mimamsa). Poorva Mimasa Sutras by Jaimini gives us guidlines for proper interpretation of the Poorva Mimamsa and the performance of Vedic ritual. For the followers of Jaimini school, there are not very many of these if any, proper practice of Vedic rituals is of utmost importance. But, this does not necessarily mean they reject jnana kandam outright.

The Uttramimamsa deals with Brhman, moksha, etc. The Uttra mimamsa Sutra, aka Brhmma Sutra by Sage Veda Vyasa deals with the nature of tatvas and the path to achieve moksha. There are three widely revered commentaries written for Brhmma Sutra, namely, Shankara Bhashyam by Adhi Shankara, Sri Bhashyam by Bagavat Ramanuja, and Brhmma Sutra Bhashya by Swami Madhvacharya. All three Acharyas emphasize the need to perform ordained karmas such as nithya and naimithika karmas. From where do you think the rules for the performance of such karmas come from? From Karma Kanda. When people perform Sandhyavandahnam, Tharpanam, Srardham, or Yagyas such as Sudarshana Homam, etc. they are following the rules laid out in poorva mimamsa.

So, there is no opposition between Poorva and Uttara Mimamsa as you seem to suggest. No Vedanti will reject Poorva mimamsa. To achieve the ultimate goal of moksha the karma accumulated over counteless births must be burnt. Diferent acharyas show different paths. But they all emphasize that this cannot be achieved unless the karmas ordained for each individual by the karma Kanda are performed without any attachment to the results, nishkamya karma.

Now, you may claim there are some monastic orders that reject poorva mimamsa and accepts only Uttra mimamsa as valid. This may very well be so. But if they do, then they are not Vedantees. They may claim they are Vedantees. But nobody who says only some portion of Vedas are valid and others are not, can be considered a Vedanti.

Also, Srimat Bhagavat Geetha does not deal with rituals at all. In that sense it is not in anyway connected to Poorva Mimamsa karmas. BG deals with the nature of Brhman and the means for Moksha. Therefore, even if there are some Uttra Mimamsakas who reject Poorva Mimams as you say, they must accept BG's authority. Not doing so makes no sense at all.

Cheers!

to Nara: your last para was told whole answer to the entire tread. Only the British brought the caste system so that they split people and rule. All our Scriptures never said about Casteisum any one can become Brahmin by way of life and moral. So to do so the Govtof india and Local govt should stop asking question What is your caste and Religion in their Forms rg employment education etc., s.r.k

Nara,

The title of this thread is "Social Justice in Hinduism". So, when you keep referring to poorva and uttra mimamsaka, I fail to see relevance.

Your conversation on this thread was thus far on varna and jati. i joined in after your conversation with Sri Venkataramani ji and Shri KRS ji since you insisted that varna and jati are the same.

To show you that the understanding on varna-jati varies in diff hindu schools, i joined in and brought in the scriptural relevance of puravaminasa and uttaramimansa in that context. Am sorry that you have failed to see the relevance.

Anyway, let us at least try to clearly understand the place of uttramimamsa in the sacred texts of Vaideeka Madham aka Sanatana Dharma, aka Hinduism, call what you like.

The Hindu cannon consists of three texts collectively called Prastana Thraiyam. They are Vedam, Srimat Bhagavat Geetha, and Brhma Sutra. Vedam consists of karma Kanda (Poorva mimamsa) and Jnana kanda (uttara mimamsa). Poorva Mimasa Sutras by Jaimini gives us guidlines for proper interpretation of the Poorva Mimamsa and the performance of Vedic ritual. For the followers of Jaimini school, there are not very many of these if any, proper practice of Vedic rituals is of utmost importance. But, this does not necessarily mean they reject jnana kandam outright.

The Uttramimamsa deals with Brhman, moksha, etc. The Uttra mimamsa Sutra, aka Brhmma Sutra by Sage Veda Vyasa deals with the nature of tatvas and the path to achieve moksha. There are three widely revered commentaries written for Brhmma Sutra, namely, Shankara Bhashyam by Adhi Shankara, Sri Bhashyam by Bagavat Ramanuja, and Brhmma Sutra Bhashya by Swami Madhvacharya. All three Acharyas emphasize the need to perform ordained karmas such as nithya and naimithika karmas. From where do you think the rules for the performance of such karmas come from? From Karma Kanda. When people perform Sandhyavandahnam, Tharpanam, Srardham, or Yagyas such as Sudarshana Homam, etc. they are following the rules laid out in poorva mimamsa.

All vedic rituals are meant for begetting certain results.

Badrayan differentiated between conditioned brahmana and supreme brahman as opposed to Jaimini. According to Jaimini a person on death takes his body and sense organs to the next loka (bhavam jaiminirvikalpamannath), while Badrayan expounded that the soul takes no body and organs for ones who reach brahmaloka (abhavam baadrirasHovam). This (apart from several other verses) leads to a distinction between karma and performatory karmas rituals as understood by the jaimini's purvamimansaka followers and vedantin uttaramimansaka followers.

None of the ekadandi monastic traditions follow the karmakanda (except those of the Shankara mutts). I do not have much idea about the tridandis (Shrivaishnava and Madhavacharya's mutts) though i came across info that those before the 8th century in nepal were of 2 types, those that followed certain rituals and those that did not follow rituals (yet to ask around and read in detail about that part though).

Adi Shankara in his commentary on brahmasutra wrote about meditations that can beget wordly results (please read from Kamyastu yathakammam onwards). He suggested combining meditations with rituals. He then does go on to expound Badrayan's stand that knowledge and liberation is not a subsidary of rites. He weighed out both Badrayan and Jaimini's opinion wrt the role of ritualism in moksha. Badrayan was of opinion that liberation results from the knowledge of the self, not of rites (purusharta: shabdaditi badrayana:, etc) while Jaimini's stand was that the self holds a subservient position to rites. Badrayan's stand was that sanyasis need not 'light fire' or perform any rituals, while Jaimini argued in favor of ritualism.

According to some ekadandi monks (traditions that have followed advaitha long before Shri Adi Shankara), Adi Shankara does not seem to have clearly rejected Jaimini, though his writings leaned towards supporting Badrayan's stand (which leads sections to believe that Adi Shankara actually expounded kevalaadvaitha).

Adi Shankara did make a conclusion on Badrayan's stand that a sanyasin is free from rituals (athaeva chagnindhanadyanopeksha) and the vedantin's exposition that once knowledge has 'merged' it has no dependence on any other factor, such as rituals, to produce its own result, which is liberation. He however seems to have (probably inadverently?) allowed for the merger of ritualism (purvamimansaka texts / school) and meditative practices (vedanta texts / school), despite his acceptance of the fact that moksha was about 'going up the nerve' (sushumna) (that is, of meditative practice).

Since Adi Shankara did not clearly reject Jaimini's version of dharma, it allowed for the Jaimini's purvamimansakas to affiliate themselves with the monastic traditions (and also possibly claim of themselves as brahmins despite the fact that they probably did not bother about knowing or merging into brahman, but did work selflessly to benefit people by helping them beget results thru rituals).

Since I have not sought any guidance on Sri Ramanuja's or Sri Madhavacharya's works (esp commentaries on the brahmasutra), am not able to say how much they influenced the scenario. The only thing am aware of (as am told) is that Sri Ramanuja rejected untouchability and offered a more enhanced stand on what constitues brahman and its path.

Most ekadandi traditions perform no rituals (no karmakanda) (except those that affiliated themselves with the Shankara mutts). Some ekadandi traditions (non-shankara ones) are however, well versed in the performance of rituals but they do not use a single ritual for themselves, its always for others, to guide them. Obviously those that have taken sanyasam have moved beyond the need to have any desires to fulfil, so they perform no rituals for themselves (and follow Badrayan's brahmasutra, in opposition to Jaimini who is considered to have condemned sanyasam).

So, there is no opposition between Poorva and Uttara Mimamsa as you seem to suggest. No Vedanti will reject Poorva mimamsa. To achieve the ultimate goal of moksha the karma accumulated over counteless births must be burnt. Diferent acharyas show different paths. But they all emphasize that this cannot be achieved unless the karmas ordained for each individual by the karma Kanda are performed without any attachment to the results, nishkamya karma.

As explained above, there is an 'opposition' in the way things are followed by diff schools (if one wishes to see it that way...i wud rather beleive that each is entitled to his own path, his own understanding of the school he follows).

Monks who do not follow jaimini's purvamimansa are very much vedantins. As a matter of fact, they are infact the followers of Badrayan's Brahmasutra (which is vedanta) and they are the ones that study the vedanta texts of upanishads and the bhagvad gita. You speak of acharyas and changes that came after the 8th century.

Now, you may claim there are some monastic orders that reject poorva mimamsa and accepts only Uttra mimamsa as valid. This may very well be so. But if they do, then they are not Vedantees. They may claim they are Vedantees. But nobody who says only some portion of Vedas are valid and others are not, can be considered a Vedanti.

On what basis wud you say that ekadandis who reject purvamimansa are not vedantins. It may be possible that you are stating the opposite. To some monastic traditions those who follow ritualism are not considered vedantins (since vedantin = followers of vedanta, that is brahmasutra, upanishads and gita; vedanta involves no purvamimansa).

Neither do the non-shankara ekadandis say that some portions are valid and some are not. Its simply about what each chooses to follow. For that matter Adi Shankara clearly rejected symbols but SriVaishnavas do enmark themselves with the shanku chakram symbols, wud this be called rejection (i'd rather call it a parallel path, to me, all roads lead to rome).

Also, Srimat Bhagavat Geetha does not deal with rituals at all. In that sense it is not in anyway connected to Poorva Mimamsa karmas. BG deals with the nature of Brhman and the means for Moksha.

This is why it is considered vedanta.

Therefore, even if there are some Uttra Mimamsakas who reject Poorva Mimams as you say, they must accept BG's authority. Not doing so makes no sense at all.

?? ofcourse ekadandis accept the gita and study it in depth (which is why they say varna and jaati are independent of each other).

Cheers!

Last edited:
to All: Most of the Karma Kanda methodlogy was included only after Sri Ramanujer converted others to the fold of Vaishnavam and stared preaching in the line. As for as I am concerned that I was born as a Human being and go back to the source there is no Jathi bathi etc,all are Soul.And every Soul is crying for some help to go back to his own Home. If we thought we must teach good and Spiritual way of living to others and not by force by mere LOVE and AFFECTION. s.r.k.

Shri SRK ji,

Whatever may be the so-called 'diffferences' in the understanding of scriptures, theology, philosophy, at the end of the day it all hardly matters. It is each to his own belief system. Whatever may be one's chosen path, i suppose its all about going with it in all sincerity. Who really knows what path leads us to where?

Last edited:
A request:

Shri KRS ji,

If any part of my postings are considered hurtful, please delete it.

Shri Nara ji,

Somehow i suspect that as this discussion comes along, it wud not lead to anything fruitful. Its all about just voicing what we have learnt so far. It may also lead to unnecessary questions, unwanted comparisons, and perhaps an uncomfortable clash of idealogies learnt / followed.

For me, rituals are valid as long as i live in the samsara, and will no longer be valid upon sanyasam in future. The learning is purely personal. Its not intended to convince others about what i choose to beleive in.

I regret that I will not be participating in this discussion any further.

I request Shri KRS ji to continue with addressing your queries.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Dear All,

Instead of discussing the past happenings and individual beliefs and practices, let us discuss the future.

Point No.1
In my opinion, literacy is the most important aspect in life for everybody. Unless we improve literacy of the entire community, there is no scope for further development. Unless the so called untouchables get proper education, they cannot move forward.

To day education is highly commercialised in Tamilnadu right from school level. Most of the educational instituitions are controlled by politicians. Good quality education at affordable level is the need of the hour.

Point No.2

Untouchablity and discrimination is still practiced only in villages. Unless the so called untouchables move out of their native places and migrate to cities and towns, they cannot get out of the problem.

Point No.3

The reservations meant for the lower castes are cornered by few well to do people in the community. It is not reaching the really needy people within the community. We have to work for career development of the so called untouchables. Most of the people don't know their rights. Probably proper guidance at the appropriate time will help them develop further.

I earnestly feel that doing the above three activities will lift them out of the present mess. It is not going to be a easy task but as a community if we make a try nothing is impossible

Happy Hindu ji, please participate in the forum and express your views.

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Last edited:
Thankyou Shri Venkataramani ji.

i agree with you.

the worst affected wrt reservations was the generation that was sandwiched between the mandal commission and dearth of educational institutions, probably from the late 80s to about the year 2k.

In any case, with perseverence, diligence and the ability to work hard, i think it should not be impossible for anyone to succeed.

i earnestly feel removing tags such as obc, mbc, bc, sc, st, etc, and using annual family income alone as the deciding factor to grant reserved seats, will enable the poorer section get an education. This will enable collective development across all 'castes'.

Last edited:
Thankyou Shri Venkataramani ji.

i agree with you.

the worst affected wrt reservations was the generation that was sandwiched between the mandal commission and dearth of educational institutions, probably from the late 80s to about the year 2k.

In any case, with perseverence, diligence and the ability to work hard, i think it should not be impossible for anyone to succeed.

i earnestly feel removing tags such as obc, mbc, bc, sc, st, etc, and using annual family income alone as the deciding factor to grant reserved seats, will enable the poorer section get an education. This will enable collective development across all 'castes'.

Thanks smt.happy hindu ji,

My point is should we attempt to lift the entire people including all the communities or shall we restrict our service only for TB community. Peronally I am nearing my retirement age and along with some of my friends, we are starting a school on charitable basis. Our broad consensus are - capital expenditure will be met through donations and revenue expenditure will be on self financing basis. The school is open for all the communities irrespective of religion/caste.

We may offer certain percentage of seats (say 10 or 20%) on free basis to poor & deserving students. Should we restrict these free seats to only TB community or should we offer the same to all irrespective of caste/religion.

Sri KRS ji started the thread stating that Late Edward Kennedy has contributed to social justice as per Catholic tradition. We are going to help all the communities without discrimination offering best quality education at the lowest possible cost.

However should we offer the absolute free portion only to TB community or for all? After reading Sri KRS ji's posting, I am little bit confused. Please help me with the best possible answer.

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Sir,

This is a dharmasankatam type of question.

Its great to offer some seats on free basis to poor & deserving students. i suppose its better to offer it to brahmin students as a first preference. However if there is a NB student who has scored better marks despite more odds than a brahmin student, hope you will consider such a student as well.

The prob is how many can one accomodate. The country is overflowing with deserving kids, its such a pathetic state. i suppose its all about doing the best one can do, in each one's individual capacity.

i congratulate you wholeheartedly and wish you the very best for the noble step you have taken.

With all prayers.

Thanks happy hindu ji for your answer. I shall definitely keep your suggestions in my mind.

As you rightly said, we are able to do charity only in a limited way. Let us try to repeat the exercise of starting a school at some other place once we succeed in our first attempt.

I request other honourable members also to react to my question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back