• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple Treasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir:

In TN, We have many jnanis who have done many good things without
seeking any publicity. They are still doing it. Good things do not mean
setting up schools or hospitals. Making a person humane is a great task.
They preach and guide the people to be good persons and do good to
others. This is a silent work. When you go and meet such jnanis , you
get shanthi and you forget the problems. I can quote the names of
many jnanis.

There are some others who do social work like Bangaru Adigalar to whom
publicity comes unsought for.

There are also some who do it for the sake of publicity and fame. Other
things come to them automatically.

There are persons who go after name and fame , but do nothing good !

Dear Sangom Sir,

I think our KRS has given a ruling in the past that if some conversation is going on between two members, a third one should not intrude. Perhaps this is a good ruling.

I am aware and that is the reason for the statement prefixed in my post.

Secondly, I regret to observe that I have found from past experience that discussions between the two of us almost always turn to become cantankerous, and end up in personal accusations; may be the problem is with both of us. I would therefore request you to exhort the members in general towards your pov instead of trying to discuss and prove my pov wrong...........In case you reply to this, I may not further respond because I do not want to enter into any discussions.

I come here looking for knowledge and not to prove any POV. In my effort to get at the truth, I may be a little impatient. So I keep probing with harsh questions and strong rebuttals. Well, If you are looking for only an audience that will accept your POV(as you would like to call these discussions) and will always applaud without demur, God bless you. Thank you. I respect you for your age.

My yardstick of an acceptable guru, or swamiji or Acharya is that he should belong to a known lineage of well-respected Acharyas; he should not invite publicity and project himself before large audiences and lastly, such Acharyas and Swamijis should confine themselves to teaching Hinduism of whatever sect their lineage belongs to (Like saivism, vaishnavism, etc.) The public service done, ameliorating the sufferings of people etc., cannot be the yardsticks for rating swamijis. Lastly, if any godman really has supernatural powers of apporting and materialising objects he/she should be ready to subject himself/herself to scientific tests to verify such powers. SSB did not accept such challenges and had always avoided it.
I find that you have not answered my direct question directly and has chosen to engage in a subterfuge. May be you are uncomfortable with the question. That is okay with me.I am not commenting about this view any more because it will again take you to uncomfortable zones, where in the past, you had been very critical about so called "brahminism" and brahmins.Again they will become cantankerous exchanges.

Let peace be with you and please do not reply to this post.

Cheers.

Last edited:
An income to Brahman becomes an expense again if he has to incur it for performing Dhaanam for his/her Dharma. Please note that the traditional concept that I draw to your attention is not accumulating wealth with income.

I have not come across a blanket ban on accumulating wealth in our scriptures; of course, a real brahmin was expected to be very nearly like a mendicant and even the golden mongoose story in the Rajasuyam of Yudhishtira seems to emphasise such a concept. But perhaps you as also the SG stalwarts realize and agree that it is impossible to find a brahmin of that ilk today and it will be much more difficult to change the brahmins of today to that kind. What can be realistically expected or even enjoined is that out of their income the brahmins give a certain percentage as "daanam". Such a stipulation exists in the Holy Koran and Muslims generally abide by it. For our Vaishyas also our Dharma Sastras lay down similar rules.

Similarly the money spent for infrastructure leaves the county in many of the projects today in India and then the saving should be reflecting only in the other developed economies of the world. That may not matter you if you take a position that you are neither a Swadeshi nor a Videshi. But SG doesn't take that stand and so is the confusion.

I am sorry to say that there is lack of clarity in the points you (want to) make. True that much of the money spent for infrastructure goes to foreign entities; this is because we can improve our infrastructure only if we use the products manufactured by Videshis, since we don't have the technology or ability to manufacture such items. But in my limited knowledge, spenting on infrastructure (roads, bridges, railways, airports, water-supply, power production and distribution, communication, etc.) is not like spending on a meal. The latter is a pure consumption activity and does not by itself, generate any further incomes whereas infrastructure gives rise to higher trade, travels, industrialization and a host of economic activities most of which will generate further incomes for the country. So, if our payments to foreign countries in increasing their savings, it is for us to increase our savings by other means, but not by not getting modern infrastructure with the help of foreign technology.

செய்யவேண்டிய தர்மம் is to spend all your money that you earn if you are a MNC bred citizen of the world choosing to be neither Swadeshi nor Videshi. Take loan and spend if the income is not good enough. But to those who are Videshi to Videshis (I am also not committing me as Swadeshi!) of India then செய்யவேண்டிய தர்மம் is தர்மம் செய்தL!

I think your point is that all people should do charity, or at least spend the last paisa and even those who do not earn well, should borrow and spend. US has been following this dictum because the rest of the world is inextricably tied up with US$. But no country will give a cent to India if India has to borrow in order that its people can go on spending even by borrowing. The alternative is to just print currency; this is being resorted to but may be not to the extent you would like it to be:)

But in my limited knowledge, spenting on infrastructure (roads, bridges, railways, airports, water-supply, power production and distribution, communication, etc.) is not like spending on a meal. The latter is a pure consumption activity and does not by itself, generate any further incomes whereas infrastructure gives rise to higher trade, travels, industrialization and a host of economic activities most of which will generate further incomes for the country.

I think your point is that all people should do charity, or at least spend the last paisa and even those who do not earn well, should borrow and spend.
Unfortunately the infrastructures in India are built only to serve MNC businesses and in the end everything gets in to a fix after a verdict from SC as in NOIDA case. LPG is only a one way ticket for Indian economy today.

Borrow and spend to invigorate the trade is the dharmam that management experts advocate quoting western economic model. My point is that this concept of dharmam serves only the affluent in India and so the Dharmam that means charity by our definition should be inculcated.

You all have forgotten Padmanabhaswamy now !
This thread is more about the treasure trove revealed at the temple of Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple which the Lord Padmanabhaswamy himself seems to have forgotten for centuries! Therefor the posting has not wavered but has only branched to the requirement of the discussion. So you can also interject on whether it is within Dharmam to hide wealth even for Sri Padmanabhaswamy only to be revealed later. Did the devotees offered wanted it to be idle like this? Or should the devotees expected to do good study of the deity like Sri Padmanabhaswamy or Sathya Sai before placing their trust on them and parting their earning as offering? Was their a lax on the part of law enforcing authorities now and then for such fiasco repeating here?

I think the income of the temples in the form of offerings are free of tax.
In the case of SSB, the present trustees have paid tax on the value of the
amount recently found.
Under Income-tax the trusts can apply for exemption from tax u/s 11, 12
and 12A.

I am not very clear about the other point you have made. This is checking
about deity and giving donation after satisfying yourself. Do you mean checking
about the God or the people behind it ?

If we have to check about the deity and then give, it is charity and not offering.

I think the income of the temples in the form of offerings are free of tax.
In the case of SSB, the present trustees have paid tax on the value of the
amount recently found.
Under Income-tax the trusts can apply for exemption from tax u/s 11, 12
and 12A.

If we have to check about the deity and then give, it is charity and not offering.

Shri Ranganathan,

I tend to agree with you that we have sidelined AnantaPadmanabha and branched off into a certain view of charity which Smt. Harini advocates. Since, however, she has justified this branching off on some grounds, I give below my views on both the Temple finds and Smt. Harini's theory of charity.

All the discussions today, in this thread as also in the different media, seem to forget that the Padmanabhaswamy Temple of Thiruvananthapuram (PTT herefater, for convenience of typing) was a sort of a trust managed by the எட்டரை யோகக்கார் (eṭṭarai yogakkār ) and எட்டுவீட்டில் பிள்ளைமார் (eṭṭuvīṭṭil piḷḷaimār) till aniḻaṃ tirunāḷ- mārttāṇḍavarma (ATM) dismantled the control of both the yogam and Pillais, exterminated them and their lineages completely and from then onwards, for all practical purposes, PTT was the personal property of the royal family. Though ATM made the തൃപ്പടി ദാനം (tṛppaṭi dānaṃ) and announced that everything in his kingdom was owned by Lord Padmanabha and that he was ruling as a representative (Padmanabha dāsa), it was more of a political strategy of a very shrewd ruler; ATM had conquered several small "kingdoms" and brought them under his enlarged tiruvitāṃ kūr, (திரு இது ஆம் கூர் or, in English, திரு—Sree (Lakshmi, prosperity), இது ஆம்—is this, கூர் - share, or lot just as we say கூறு போட்டு விற்க்கும் காய்கறி), he knew perfectly well the past history and was sure that subterranean disgruntlement would again make disgruntled elements to rise against his rule, perhaps with the help of the Portuguese and the Dutch (who had visible presence in the region due to their trading interests) or with the all too willing help of the Mysore Sultans, Hyder Ali and Tippu. As a master stroke he symbolically made all the land that of God Padmanabha who was worshipped from very early ages by the Cheras and their subjects and any attempt to take to arms against the king would have meant rising in rebellion against Lord God Himself. ATM's strategy was superbly effective and there was complete unity and peace in the entire kingdom.

The Travancore Royal family considered Padmanabha as their be all and end all of existence. ATM reportedly started the renovation of the ancient PTT and built 5 of the 7 storeys of the gopuram and installed the present idol, made from 12008 saalagraamams brought from the river Gandaki in Nepal and plastered with a special item called கடு சர்க்கரை யோகம் (kaṭuśarkkarayogaṃ), a paste made from innumerable herbs, minerals, plant and tree parts in a very laborious and now extinct technology. The earlier idol is reported to have been made from இலுப்பை மரம் which was replaced by the present one. All these happened in the period between 1729-1758, the reign of ATM. The next king Karthika Thirunal whose reign was up to 1798, was known as Dharma Raja because he offered shelter to all those who fled from Kozhikode and Kochin state during Tippu's invasion and also helped them to settle down in Travancore state. He completed the construction of the PTT gopuram.

There is a hearsay that during the reign of Dharma Raja, the PTT cellars were opened and the cash utilised to help the population to withstand a famine, but authorities say that there is no mention of any such thing in the matilakam records of the Temple which meticulously record even the smallest transaction and event. There are one or two such similar opening of the cellars being rumoured popularly but these are not supported by the written records of the Temple. Hence it is correct to conclude that the rulers of Travancore meticulously preserved the Temple Treasures, without succumbing to temptation.

Harini is of the view that such treasures are idle money and do not serve to generate production and/or development. May be her pov is correct according to modern economic theory. But the Travancore kings mostly lived and ruled in an era in which savings were a source of economic strength and, moreover, the temple's assets have all along been considered as sacred and to be untouched. So, the question now is whether the encashing of the treasure and monetising it today is the more useful, appropriate and beneficial policy for the state. Even if the answer is 'yes', it is the Supreme Court which is to decide the future course and we will have to follow its ruling. But the majority of the people of Kerala feel that no such step should be done.

This thread is more about the treasure trove revealed at the temple of Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple which the Lord Padmanabhaswamy himself seems to have forgotten for centuries! Therefor the posting has not wavered but has only branched to the requirement of the discussion. So you can also interject on whether it is within Dharmam to hide wealth even for Sri Padmanabhaswamy only to be revealed later. Did the devotees offered wanted it to be idle like this? Or should the devotees expected to do good study of the deity like Sri Padmanabhaswamy or Sathya Sai before placing their trust on them and parting their earning as offering? Was their a lax on the part of law enforcing authorities now and then for such fiasco repeating here?

Dear Harini,

I appreciate and agree with your view that the treasure locked up should be put to use. But are we not looking at the treasure which represents the savings hoarded by devotees belonging to a time in the distant past. At that point of time savings hoarded in the form of Gold and precious stones was an accepted practise as there were perhaps no banks and no limited liability companies. So there was nothing wrong about these treasures. Coming to the present times, this wealth which is just in the form of physical assets of immense value has to be converted into money so that the funds can be used. India is not a Kingdom ruled by a monarch or country with a recognised state religion. Here religious trusts are allowed to zealously guard their independence and funds. So the best way to solve the issue will be:

1. To assess the value of all antique items for their inherent and antique value by an international assessor and determine the total value of such assets on a given date. Pay this value to the Temple Trust and take over these items and keep them in a permanent exhibition in Trivandrum for view by public.

2. To hand over to the temple trust all the utensils, ornaments etc which are for adorning the deity, for use daily or on special occasions like Utsav etc. and keep proper record of these.

3. To assess the exact value of all other gold/silver ingots, surplus utensils etc. and determine the amount to be paid to the Temple trust if these items are eventually taken over by the Government.

4. Reconstitute the temple trust in such a way that only Hindus of spotless character are allowed to become members.

The funds thus given to the Temple trust can be used by the trust in (A) building a top notch university of higher learning and (B) promoting a super speciality referral hospital with a research centre to treat patients from all over the world at a very low cost.

If in a country in which a small time politician who became a first time minister can make Rs.1,76,000 crores in a single scam, the Govt. of India paying out say a 1 lakh crore from its exchequer to buy out these idle assets would not make a big dent on its economy. I hope SC will come out with a final judgment which more or less covers these aspects.

I think it is time we seek an official ban on contributions in cash and kind to All Temples and Worshipping places.Every temple should assess its daily pooja requirements and upkeep of the precincts and the requirement should be put on a notice board. It is ridiculous to fund temples and shower with gold ornaments, germs, and what not..

There is a hearsay that during the reign of Dharma Raja, the PTT cellars were opened and the cash utilised to help the population to withstand a famine, but authorities say that there is no mention of any such thing in the matilakam records of the Temple which meticulously record even the smallest transaction and event. There are one or two such similar opening of the cellars being rumoured popularly but these are not supported by the written records of the Temple. Hence it is correct to conclude that the rulers of Travancore meticulously preserved the Temple Treasures, without succumbing to temptation.
If they had done that no treasure would have been found in the vaults. All in all, a very revealing post on the state of affairs. Sangom , I have a question for you, are you aware how no one suspected the magnitude of the wealth in this temple?

its interesting to note, that the last dewan who was in control of this kingdom and this temple vault was a TB and off late, the one (IPS/advocate) who got S.C order to open the same temple vault is a TB from Tenkasi origin..

Mr.Sangom,
Sir, as regards the management of the temple under discussion, I do not know
the complete details. My answer to Harini is limited to the extent of tax on
donations. Not all the money found in the hundi or treasure-house might be
black money in the sense that income escaped from tax is black money.

On hoarding of money in safe-vaults, Harini may be right to the extent it is not
used for production of goods and services. But, let us not forget the volume of
money which has escaped tax and is in circulation creating a parallel economy.
It is this volume which affects the price structure.

As far as gold ornaments and jewellery, it has no value . It is not going to be
converted into gold and sold to other countries so that our foreign exchange
reserves may swell and the exchange rates improve. Again, it all depends upon
the GOI.

Sir,

In these discussions of how best to put to use the treasures, I have a few unanswered questions:

(i) just because these treasures are discovered during our lifetime, does it give our generation a paramount right to decide its utilisation?

(ii) the value of these treasures have bloated due to the passage of time and resultant inflation; if the same rate of inflation over long period of time is to persist just imagine what its value would be after another 300 years.

(iii) Building top notch university of higher learning and promoting a super speciality referral hospital with a research centre is one of the good aims. But what about another 300 years hence? By that time the cured patients would have had natural death and the bright 'uns who passed out of the top notch university also would have been consumed by time. Our vaarasdars after 300 years would have no treasures to fall back upon even if they have very bright ideas requiring capital.

(iv) You see, most of us here have only talked out spending or utilising the treasure. But none of us have shared any idea regarding contributing to the treasures. Our subsequent generation is also likely to inherit the same traits, hence my fear that the future generations may have nothing to fall back upon

(v) The same thought appears in my mind whenever there is talk of mining of minerals or exploration for petroleum etc.

Regards,

narayan

Dear Mr.Zebra,

This thread was started with an idea to focus on the quantum of wealth
in the form of cash and jewellery lying in the temple. Hence the discussions
have been on those lines.

Your idea that everyone must do something for the good of community is
good. That is what a good citizen would do. I agree.

About spending, I think the court will decide. It must be for the lasting
benefit of the society and also the temple. We must not forget that we
contribute to the Temple deity or offer to the God in the Temple
because we have belief and faith. All the temples do not get such huge
offerings. Only a few - like Tirupathi, Palani, Guruvayur, Nathdwara,
Kalighat, Vaishnavodevi and others. Not all. Some powerful sakthi
is there in these places. It is said that sri Adi Sankara has carved out
dhanaaakarshana yantra in Tirupathi.

About spending, I think the court will decide. It must be for the lasting
benefit of the society and also the temple. We must not forget that we
contribute to the Temple deity or offer to the God in the Temple
because we have belief and faith. All the temples do not get such huge
offerings. Only a few - like Tirupathi, Palani, Guruvayur, Nathdwara,
Kalighat, Vaishnavodevi and others. Not all. Some powerful sakthi
is there in these places. It is said that sri Adi Sankara has carved out
dhanaaakarshana yantra in Tirupathi.
Court does't decide for ever. It will only pass order that will always lead to appeal at sometime or other. Suppose the Court orders that all these wealth has to be handed-over to UK for the Royal Family was hiding it from the legal Government then, all of us will go for appeal. Isn't it?

About checking, it is like Anna University releasing the rank list of Engineering College. I think the enforcing authorities like IT dept (which give exemptions for tax u/s xyz to abc!) should do some audit on the institutions accepting donations and charities. May be it should also include temples attracting offerings. A publication of the audit report should tell the devotees (philanthropists) as to what happens to their money. Such measure will force the institutions attracting money (including SSB) to think in terms of deploying productively the wealth that accumulates.

Re post 164 by narayan:

Not sure how the wealth can be converted to cash of equal value!

I am quite sure, the enormous amount of gold and diamonds are fitted into elaborately designed jewellery.

So, melting them for the gold would be to devalue these merchandise multifold .

The right way, I think, would be, to appraise them, as historical antique jewellery. Don’t know if such jewellery is replicated elsewhere or even exist in museums.

It is like putting a dolla value on taj mahal.

These are museum pieces, and probably, in any western country, where similar finds are being made of pirate or spanish treasures of 500 years old, are being displayed in museums.

Sir/Madam,

Latest.

A letter is received from the Al queda ,posted from chennai, saying that both
the Guruvayoor temple and Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple will be bombed.
Also threat to the lives of JJ and Narendra Modi.

This is highly condemnable. But the lesson is that it may not be the Order of the Court that may be deciding things in practice. Our temples have been targeted from time immemorial by people within and outside for its wealth. Are we not wrong in allowing our temples to be vulnerable by hoarding wealth and treasure?

I received a mail with the pictures of Lord Venkateswara standing and Lord
PadmanabhaSwamy reclining on Adisesha. Lord Venkateswara tells Lord
Padmanabhaswamy : ' I have been standing here all the time. But you are
sleeping but have earned more wealth than me. I have lakhs of visitors every
day, but the number of visitors you have is just a handful. How come you have
this much of wealth ? '

Dear Shri Subbudu,

This is with reference to your post # 161.

I have said in one of my earlier posts (in this thread) that even as a boy of about 10, I have heard elders say that there is a great "Nidhi" in the cellar under the idol of Sree Padmanabha. How much that "Nidhi" would be was probably left to individual imagination, because there is no mention of these cellars or their contents in even the elaborately detailed accounts running into lakhs and lakhs of entries called "Mathilakam records". It therefore appears to me that the rulers desired the contents and details about these cellars to be kept secret.

In the year 1931Chithira Thirunal, the last full-fledged Maharaja opened the vaults according to account of Emily Gilchrist Hatch, who wrote, "Travancore: A guide book for the visitor", in 1933. Incidentally, for those of our members who take pride in pointing out anything and everything of credit to TBs, it may be noted that the then Dewan was one Shri V.S. Subramanya Iyer, a Trichy educated TB!

Shri Sunderrajan was not the only person behind the present legal battle. It seems that the present head of the royal family, Anizham Thirunal Marthandavarma, tried to open the vaults and this was not well-received by a section of the devotees. A few of them filed cases in the magistrate's court and this, in time, went up to the High Court. Shri Sunderrajan probably joined the litigation at the High Court stage from where it went to the Supreme Court. Sunderrajan's family was living in a house which is temple property, for very nominal rent and there is one version here which says that the Royal Family, as administrators of the temple, demanded increased rent which was not complied with by Sunderrajan and he went to the court in regard to the vault opening case more as to teach a lesson to the royal family. The true position is not known and since Shri Sunderrajan is no more, it may not be appropriate to cast any aspersions on the basis of press reports alone.

The best course of action IMO, will be to construct a high security museum in the SW/W corner of the temple, display the finds there and charge a reasonably large toll/fee, say Rs. 1000/= to Rs. 2,000/= (actual fee to be fixed by experts) per head for entry into the museum. This area should be free for all people and should be suitably cordoned off from the temple area proper if there are sensibilities/reservations about non-hindus coming there. The income from this entry fee should be utilized by the Temple trust to maintain the museum and its security. If any shortage is there it should be met from State Government resources because the State Govt. has a duty to preserve all ancient monuments and this treasure is also a heritage of the state. (From foreign tourists a higher fee can be levied if there is no legal objection to it.)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Shri N.R. Ranganathan

Sir/Madam,

Latest.

Originally posted by Harini
This is highly condemnable. But the lesson is that it may not be the Order of the Court that may be deciding things in practice. Our temples have been targeted from time immemorial by people within and outside for its wealth. Are we not wrong in allowing our temples to be vulnerable by hoarding wealth and treasure?

Shri Ranganathan,

I think this is a prank being played by some mischief-monger. So far nothing has been found/encountered in Guruvayoor. Same with reference to Padmanabha Temple. As regards Modi, JJ, they are political personalities and perhaps some enemies will be there.

Harini,

Wherever wealth is accumulated, there is a threat, be it a temple or an Ashram or even an individual commanding lot of wealth. Hence to prevent such targets, the only solution is to make everyone a pauper :) Even if we contrive to make that a reality somehow, one pauper storing the food for the next meal will become a target of attack by others who do not save and are feeling deprived! That is human nature.

. (From foreign tourists a higher fee can be levied if there is no legal objection to it.)

sangom,

this practice is already in force at taj mahal and fatehpur sikri. when we visited there a few years ago, en famille, one look at us indicated that we were 'phirangees' and we (cheerfully) paid 20 times what the desi would pay :)

Wherever wealth is accumulated, there is a threat, be it a temple or an Ashram or even an individual commanding lot of wealth. Hence to prevent such targets, the only solution is to make everyone a pauper Even if we contrive to make that a reality somehow, one pauper storing the food for the next meal will become a target of attack by others who do not save and are feeling deprived! That is human nature.

Shri Subbudu: ...as a boy of about 10, I have heard elders say that there is a great "Nidhi" in the cellar under the idol of Sree Padmanabha
In reality it is only about less than 1% of 1% who have all the wealth and rest of us are pauper to them. The threat is never for the wealthy but only for the pauper who may try to rise against the scheme of the wealthy. Padmanabhaswamy is not going to become pauper by deploying his wealth but may be forced to live a life of penury with all his wealth bolted in vaults!

Shri Subbudu sir. Does the term Padhuma Nidhi refers to the treasure of the Lord Padmanabhaswamy. I have heard many a times the terms Sanga Nidhi and Padhuma Nidhi.

Shri Subbudu sir. Does the term Padhuma Nidhi refers to the treasure of the Lord Padmanabhaswamy. I have heard many a times the terms Sanga Nidhi and Padhuma Nidhi.
Any idea whether Padhuma Nidhi is the one that is in news from Shri Padhmanabhaswamy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest ads

Back