• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What makes one a Tamil Brahmin these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nacchi,

when my beloved slips into tamil and she seems me here in the forum, her comment would be குட்டி சேவரா போராய் நீ.

most often it is in english, i get commented, that i am addicted to this site.

but there is no rancour. mostly amusement, but sometimes irritation as i would not have heard the latest orders from 'she who must be obeyed' :)

whatever it is, i enjoy it. :)

I :Cry: and :laugh:

nacchi should this not be :Cry: or :laugh:

otherwise does it not become like the படிக்காத மேதை song சிலர் அழுவர் சிலர் சிரிப்பார் நான் அழுதுகொண்டே சிரிக்கின்றேன். definitely, we are not so serious as all that, are we?

laughingly yours truly..

Last edited:
Dear Professor Nara Ji,

In this particular case, the Guru was addressing his disciples, who were quarreling among themselves about the diet.

Regards,
KRS

Sir AFAIK all youngsters of all backgrounds do not support the caste system. They mix freely with others, give a damn for social propriety, and do things which casteist elders disprove of. All elders who support the caste system are having to deal with this 'headache', and 'effects of kaliyuga'.

No youngster is justifying the dharmashastras; unlike some folks on this forum and elsewhere who want it to be followed in this day. I think there is major revolution going on.

But the side effects is that youngsters are loosing interest in the religion. In this i feel brahmins have a major role to play. They can bring in younsters to develop the religion in an egalitarian way, like to develop the philosophical side of it even further and to have healthy debates on the itihaasas. Currently there are organisations like chimnaya mission, arya samaj, etc which do this. But unless the orthodoxy does not become an inclusive one, we may not see many benefits effecting the social scenario. Hence i feel brahmins, though a small community, do have a major role to play.

Yesterday's gurus are revered as gods today (although all their actions may not be perfect). Hopefully some large hearted brahmins will come forward and usher in an egalitarian society. If that happens i feel today's gurus will be remembered as gods tomorrow.

Regards.

H.H,

I am surprised that you think the Brahmins can change the society. Fact is that they can not. The Brahmin society can change, but that will not affect the rest of the Hindus. Organized religion works to safeguard its interests. They depend on faithful followers. The organized religion would never go for social reforms. They depend on blind obedience to religious dogmas.

There is no revolution going on now. I wish your words were true. The younger generation is caught in the pursuit of the Material wealth and have no time for religion. Then religion is not fashionable. It is not the in thing. It is out of date. But paying big bucks for the so called Meditation classes is in. You can boast about it to your peers. Then there is nothing spirtual in these. Bhagavad Gita for C.E.Os, Meditation for making quick decisions. These are the present trend. Everything material.

I do not know whether you have heard the pravachanams of the followers of some of the missions. They are as dogmatic as the others. Nothing revolutionary. There is no Hindu mission in India which is actively invoved in social reform. Social work. Yes. Social reform. No.

H.H,

I am surprised that you think the Brahmins can change the society. Fact is that they can not. The Brahmin society can change, but that will not affect the rest of the Hindus. Organized religion works to safeguard its interests. They depend on faithful followers. The organized religion would never go for social reforms. They depend on blind obedience to religious dogmas.

There is no revolution going on now. I wish your words were true. The younger generation is caught in the pursuit of the Material wealth and have no time for religion. Then religion is not fashionable. It is not the in thing. It is out of date. But paying big bucks for the so called Meditation classes is in. You can boast about it to your peers. Then there is nothing spirtual in these. Bhagavad Gita for C.E.Os, Meditation for making quick decisions. These are the present trend. Everything material.

I do not know whether you have heard the pravachanams of the followers of some of the missions. They are as dogmatic as the others. Nothing revolutionary. There is no Hindu mission in India which is actively invoved in social reform. Social work. Yes. Social reform. No.
Dear Sir,

Am unable to agree with you. Brahmins represent the crux of the hindu society. Any reforms within brahmins is bound to affect the society at large, both from the cultural and the social pov. Brahmins changed in the colonial period and that did affect the society at large. Much earlier to that, brahmins took to trade and that too impacted the society at large. We see its effects in the form of hindu culture preserved as far away as Indonesia. I do not see any role by organised religions like christianity and islam in this (irrespective of what they do to safeguard their interests).

It is natural to be in the pursuit of materialism. However i do not beleive man in his innate nature seeks to live only for materialism. Joining meditation classes and cults of modern day gurus, only attests to the fact that men still seek 'something' in their lives, beyond materialism. They may not have time for religion. But in the olden days too vanaprastha and sanyasa came after grihasta period.

Making anything "up to date" is in our hands. When organised religions can make themselves up to date i do not know why we keep saying our religion is 'out of date'. The vatican observatory dates to the 18th century. They must have realised the need to be up to date and relevant to its followers a long time back, and even began using modern tools to enhance and extend their biblical POVs. We on the other hand probably decided bhakti will resolve everything.

We depend on bhakti to provide answers. So some say even reading up on your own is bad, all you need to do is accept what your chosen guru says. But have grown frustrated with gurus who cannot provide answers. If i had not read on my own i would have never realised that Jainism and Hinduism shared common roots (Jainism branched off away as a seperate religion slowly, the proper division happened only during the time of Mahavira, before that Jains and Hindus shared the same Gods. Truly it turns out we are all more similar than dissimilar). I am tired of gurus who seek exclusive religious identity. I have deicided i will be "up to date". I have also decided i will offer classes on sanatana dharma to children from next year.

Regards.

Dear Sir,

Am unable to agree with you. Brahmins represent the crux of the hindu society. Any reforms within brahmins is bound to affect the society at large, both from the cultural and the social pov. Brahmins changed in the colonial period and that did affect the society at large. Much earlier to that, brahmins took to trade and that too impacted the society at large. We see its effects in the form of hindu culture preserved as far away as Indonesia. I do not see any role by organised religions like christianity and islam in this (irrespective of what they do to safeguard their interests).

It is natural to be in the pursuit of materialism. However i do not beleive man in his innate nature seeks to live only for materialism. Joining meditation classes and cults of modern day gurus, only attests to the fact that men still seek 'something' in their lives, beyond materialism. They may not have time for religion. But in the olden days too vanaprastha and sanyasa came after grihasta period.

Making anything "up to date" is in our hands. When organised religions can make themselves up to date i do not know why we keep saying our religion is 'out of date'. The vatican observatory dates to the 18th century. They must have realised the need to be up to date and relevant to its followers a long time back, and even began using modern tools to enhance and extend their biblical POVs. We on the other hand probably decided bhakti will resolve everything.

We depend on bhakti to provide answers. So some say even reading up on your own is bad, all you need to do is accept what your chosen guru says. But have grown frustrated with gurus who cannot provide answers. If i had not read on my own i would have never realised that Jainism and Hinduism shared common roots (Jainism branched off away as a seperate religion slowly, the proper division happened only during the time of Mahavira, before that Jains and Hindus shared the same Gods. Truly it turns out we are all more similar than dissimilar). I am tired of gurus who seek exclusive religious identity. I have deicided i will be "up to date". I have also decided i will offer classes on sanatana dharma to children from next year.

Regards.
Whoever is in influential positions should all change. It is not brahmin or non Brahmin.
Yatha Raja Thatha Praja.

Gurus are not very inspiring. I read lot of books and writings. But so much hypocrisy everywhere. I am not personally impressed even with so called progressives like Vivekananda. That is my personal opinion- sorry. Now we have lot of money spinning programs.
Why dont people remove their mask as Gurus and just declare themselves as Meditation professionals, bhajan professionals etc. We will respect them more that way.

The topic of bhajans can still be "How to experience the love of Krishna".This will be useful in promoting humility among these gurus themselves. Tomorrow they may end up great.

Shri tks,

Whether you really mocked me or not, only you know. All I can do is go by the words written. Your imaginary conversation did not address any of my points, it only mocked me. Let me cite two of those points.

• Why do Brahmins spend so much time analyzing what it means to be a Brahmin, the so called Shudras don't?
  • The notion that Varna is guna-based and there is a guna-based Brahmin and a guna-based Shudra is borne out of Brahmin-centric thinking that triggers supremacist feelings, knowingly or unknowingly. This is certainly viewed as odious by almost all NBs.
Now, you can try to answer these questions, or simply ignore them. Instead, you make up an imaginary dialog and paint my arguments as unreasoned, and I as a person as adamant, all the while not directly even attempting to address the points I had raised, and then you say this:

So, you admit your intent is to exaggerate, which to you is not caricaturing, and have a mock dialog in which you make up a person called Nara and mock that Nara, and if I take it as a personal attack, then it is my fault? Nice!!!

BTW, humor that puts others down is plain and simple mean.

Sir, IMO, an apology that starts with an "if" is an insult disguised as apology.

TKS, somebody pointing out "they view this as an identity not supremacy" is just an assertion, not an answer. Take any academic text, journal article, studies and what not on caste system, discrimination and oppression, you will see a discussion of Brahminism. So simply asserting it is only an identity won't do.

All the benign cultural aspects like cuisine, music, art, can be preserved without hanging on to this so called Brahmin identity, an identity which conjures up centuries of oppression among millions of NBs and Dalits, go ask any of them if you don't believe me. Even though the Dalits of TN suffer physical violence only from NBs not Bs, they oppose the idea of Brahminism foremost, why is that? To answer such questions with, "we view this as just identity" is woefully inadequate to say the least.

Why cling to an identity that perpetuates this kind of negative image?

IMO, it is the solemn duty of educated and modern Brahmins, examples of whom abound here, to show the light to other Brahmins who are stuck in superstition and caste identity. This is what I consider looking out for the true welfare of our brothers and sisters who think of themselves as Brahmins. Mocking me with exaggerated and imaginary dialog may make you feel good, but it is certainly not good for ordinary Brahmins for whom Brahmin identity is nothing more than a caste-identity.

Cheers!

Nara –ji :
My last attempt at responding to you here:

1. I think your messages (“Brahmin term denotes vile things*’) etc. at a forum whose name is ‘Tamil Brahmins” and your approach (constant drum beat of same vitriolic messages without appearing to listen) needed an appropriate and a measured response. I thought that I wanted to take on your issues since your approach was, in my view, shutting down others from participating. You are not alone in your message and approach and I wanted to take an opportunity to communicate to others who follow your school of thought. I responded by portraying an absurd play on the word ‘Justice’ instead of the word ‘Brahmin’ which causes you to seemingly not listen. The intent was to be strong in the response but it was directed to your words and your approach but not YOU as a person. I used the name ‘nara 1’ and as stated it was not you but someone like you. I could have used a name DEF. However in seeing the responses I have sensed a game at play here which goes as follows: Say vitriolic things, and when responded to those messages cry foul “playing victim” – It is like your child calling you “Appa – He called me names” .. Just substitute Moderator for Appa ! Once again let me repeat my response was to your messages and your approach and not on you as a person. A principle of Dale Carnegie to reach someone who is seemingly adamant is to ‘dramatize’ – which is like exaggeration.

2. Let me answer your specific question posed to me though I know you have no interest in any answers except to continue your approach and agenda in a legal manner here. Regardless let me interpret that you have noble intent and answer them. You may not like my answers. First question was: Why do Brahmins spend so much time analyzing what it means to be a Brahmin, the so called Shudras don't?

a. Let me answer the reason you may be asking me this. You think I have come here and started a thread on “what people think of themselves when they call themselves as Tamil Brahmins” because I am some proud Brahmin who is deserving of your vitriolic messages! I have lived in USA for most of my life except teen years in Delhi. Outside India we are all Indians often bunched with Pakistanis and other nationals. The thought of someone being a Brahmin or Non-Brahmin has not entered in any conversation that I have been here . I don’t have immediate relatives in India and my friends from college days (IIT ) come from all walks of life. Many may be Non-Brahmins if I were to ask around. All the people I consider as friends are broad minded people and there has been no focus of this Brahminism. I learnt some of the vedic teachings from a Non-Brahmin (an American sannyasi, a Sanskrit scholar who we do Namaskaram regularly) along with other people mostly of Indian origin. I don’t know who is a Brahmin or who considers themselves a Brahmin. It is a question that never came up. So I have not come across in my life anyone who is obsessed about their background. There are people all around the world who are curious about their ancestry and it is a big business. I have attended vedic style marriages involving Indians and non-Indians, Indians and Indians etc. I consider my Gothra as my identity , the culture and values taught by my parents and teachers as my identity. I only understand the expectations of the word Brahmin from the strict Sanskrit meaning as it appears in vedic studies. When I discovered this forum accidentally I was curious what people think , hence my question to the forum members.

b. I have to answer your question now by a set of questions.

i. You and perhaps one or two in this forum are the first set of people I have run into that seem to me to be totally obsessed with this ‘brahmin’ term. Why are you seemingly obsessed? If you can answer that you may be able to answer why the people you seem to have come across in your life are obsessed .

ii. After some people tell you that it is an identity for some of us even if it does not fit your understanding based on any number of references why don’t you simply show respect to their sense of who they are and take your vitriolic messages elsewhere in another thread? To me such an approach comes across as intolerance of others. You want others to change their sense of identity of the term ‘Brahmin’ because you find the meaning of the term obnoxious. It is one thing if you don’t want to call you by a particular way but it is another thing for you to want others to change their basic identity so your definitions are intact though they declare repeatedly that those definitions are not what they go by. That comes across as intolerant and insensitive. Even if you don’t agree with this characterization why do you exhibit this behavior since that is how it comes across to others? Again if you answer this you may have your answer to your original question.

iii. When you asked this question it has the insinuation that people who visit this forum calling themselves Tamil Brahmin must be obsessed. That is pre-judging and therefore could be understood as Prejudice. Even if you don’t agree with this characterization why do you exhibit this behavior since that is how it comes across to others? Again if you answer this you may have your answer to your question.

c. Any act that is born out ignorance cannot be solved by labeling them. That is why in our vedic vision we do not have the notion of evil. We have only knowledge and ignorance. The term ignorance is used in this context to achieving that knowledge by which every other knowledge is known. Your approach, words are born out of ignorance in this context and it can never help resolve the society/ caste issues born out of ignorance and Avidhya as well.

d. If you truly want to address this issue why not find an approach that uplifts everyone, including the Brahmins that you so loathe? There are few organizations I know that are doing great work to uplift everyone in India – most are non-brahmins I am sure. Right now corruption as a way of life is killing India in my view and it is not caste based. Anyone that can take that on will be doing immense service in achieving social justice. There are human trafficking issues rampant in parts of India. These are far more significant issues to tackle by mature people (I am not using the word ‘educated’ on purpose). I believe just like you have an approach that if economic issues caused by corruption and crime are addressed thereby uplifting everyone we will not have the Brahmin issues.

e. No one goes around saying they are Brahmin in my experience. If our behavior is one of acceptance then I have seen NB friends have had no problem attending the upanayanam function of my son or blessing him when he does Namasaram. I do agree with your view that “IMO, it is the solemn duty of educated and modern Brahmins, examples of whom abound here, to show the light to other Brahmins who are stuck in superstition and caste identity.” But make sure the ‘Brahmin’ you run into is superstitious and stands for all the vile things you define. If so I will be happy to take them on too. My approach is that there are really no Brahmins or for that matter any other caste anymore. However I am ready to accept an identity name so long the person does not use that to hurt anyone. I respect no education but mature behavior, I respect those that care about others and do not put anyone down.

f. I started this thread with two phrases – are you striving to know veda as a Shabda Pramana, and do you know what it means to live a life where Dharma is a Purushartha ..To answer this will take 10 to 15 years of intense practice and study in my humble opinion (and one does not have to know Sanskrit to make initial attempt). My respect goes to anyone – Brahmin or NB - that tries to understand and live these values.

g. Obsession of anyone or anything is a weakness, it is not worth dwelling on. Rather it is better to work to help people improve their life economically and in education.

3. “The notion that Varna is guna-based and there is a guna-based Brahmin and a guna-based Shudra is borne out of Brahmin-centric thinking that triggers supremacist feelings, knowingly or unknowingly. This is certainly viewed as odious by almost all NBs”
This is your second question. First I do not know Manu or Varna Shatra, have no interest in that, do not like how it evolved over the years. I dont like the net result of the impact it had on progress of our society. Second I was trying to tell you the definition and meaning of the term as it appears in Gita which defines the meaning relating to Guna (Satvic, Rajasic etc) . The Vedic texts and teachings are agnostic to how a society is organized. While even Gandhi wrote that caste system was not born out of narrow minded thinking it did have a terrible effect in our society due to ignorant people that were bestowed the role they were unworthy of and abused it. We need to educate the NB that hatred for the past (and even present in some places) cannot solve anything. We need to get Brahmins who hold the identity as to what the term actually means uplifting them from ignorance. There are mature people of all walks of life involved in projects that instill pride in the cultural outputs (e.g., Aim For Seva) and activities of underprivileged that help improve the economic conditions and restore pride in their own identity.
I am offering ‘solutions and approaches’ to your question rather than answer what some ancient texts said and how they were interpreted. Those texts and Shastras are not Vedic texts. I believe in inclusion and make the term Brahmin a benign term and help support organizations that are trying to uplift everyone. I would want to appeal to a noble intent of everyone in supporting approaches that deal with society issues. I am not expecting you to agree with my approach but only request that you take your messages to appropriate forums where the discussion is about history and its impact today etc.

You have a choice to approach the message of this post with dignity and maturity befitting your education (since someone called you Professor) . If you do and have questions or challenges I will respond. If you or your supporters want to involve a moderator to get this post removed so be it. That is the other approach. Regardless I do not think less of you even if I disagree with your messages very strongly.

Peace & Cheers,
TKS

I could have used a name DEF. However in seeing the responses I have sensed a game at play here which goes as follows: Say vitriolic things, and when responded to those messages cry foul “playing victim” – It is like your child calling you “Appa – He called me names” .. Just substitute Moderator for Appa ! Once again let me repeat my response was to your messages and your approach and not on you as a person.
Since i am the only person on this thread who asked the moderator to intervene, this perhaps alludes to me, even though the post is addressed to Shri Nara.

Shri TKS, In post # 42, i asked you valid questions taking your posts on Gita into account. However you answered none of the questions. Instead you claimed that you do not want to go beyond "lobby-level" discussions. So i had left it at that and had made a clean break away from conversing with you in post # 59. Yet you replied to that post talking about curved space, time management, quadrant 4 activities and what not in post # 66.

In post # 81, i again asked valid questions. But instead of a proper reply, you went on an accusation spree in post #84. Your main accusations (which i do not take kindly to) in post # 84 are that:

1) you asked me "to move past delivering unflattering insinuations when you meet someone new here".
2) you claimed that "Unless I sense your questions in the future to be addressed with respect in both words and intent..", which implies that i am disrespectful in words and intent while asking you questions.

For both the above i am well within my boundries to ask the moderator to intervene. To me you are evasive with questions. Instead of answering them you merely want to allege and accuse the person asking the questions.

Even here i wud have let it go, if you had not caricatured "appa" and "moderator" with this current post.

Am sorry sir, but you cannot just allege and get away with it. So now i do request the moderator to interevene.

Shri KRS Ji, According to Shri TKS,
1) i am "delivering unflattering insinuations to someone new here".
2) i have been disrespectful to him in words and intent while asking him questions.

Please resolve this.

Regards.

Last edited:
Even in the system suggested by you it may happen that a youngster who opts for spiritual studies like religion and philosophy, may subsequently lose interest and take up business. So, just like driving licence today, there should be a licence to be a brahmana and be known as such and this licence should be got renewed periodically after satisfying a jury. Any one not having a valid "brahmana licence" should not be considered as brahmana. Because the learning of vedas, rituals, etc., takes more years than perhaps engg. or medicine, it is better to make the selection at about 10 years of age IMO.

This would have been possible if:
1. If there is a technology available to convert thin air into nutritious and delicious food.
2. If there is a technology available to convert the sun light into dress material of good quality.
3. There is somebody who makes these technologies affordable to the 'brahmins' without ever calling them பிச்சை எடுக்க வந்த பிராமணன்.

In the area of life and time management Steven Covey (of 7 habits fame) divides our work into four quadrants by using urgent & not urgent as one axis and Important (to our mission in life) and not-important as the other axis resulting in 4 quadrants. The quandrant 4 activities fall into "neither important nor urgent" tends to include activities like watching TV or sports , engaging in aimless arguments though these may be temporarily pleasurable. I do engage in Quadrant 4 activities and some of my posting including the one you referenced is an example of that

Shradha does not have an equivalent meaning in English or for that matter any other language. It is loosely translated as Faith which is incorrect. It is more like Faith when you start and ratified by reason and understanding later. Upanishads (and Gita which provides the essence of Upansihads) are not literature or even philosophies. They address a subject matter for humanity not found anywhere else. One should not approach such teaching via belief (but Shradha) and has to be understood like a scientist would understand a phenomena in the objective world.

There are great literature in other cultures. However most religions including many practices falling under Hindu traditions fall under a realm of belief. An un-verifiable belief is one thing, but an un-verifiable belief with self contradictions in the description of the theology can cause wars between people fallowing different belief systems. Hence they are not only not profound but the aggressive propagation of such theologies continue to be an issue for all societies worldwide.

As an ex-physcist I have a greater appreciation for profundity of what has been understood in terms of objective reality. Again a high level discussion about curved space or multi-verses or hidden realities is possible at a 'lobby level' only. A serious discussion with intent to learn (and dismiss the learning if there are contradictions after doing due diligence) would require tremendous infrastructure & pre-requisites, commitment of time and right attitude to learn. Hence my reticence in engaging beyond some level in any forum since these preconditions are rarely satisfied.

However I will try to follow your suggestion of treating this as a satsang and participate when I can. I know I can be drawn into unproductive debates and I will have to watch myself for that :-)

Regards
TKS

Dear TKS,

I appreciate your line of argument and your maturity as evident in your presentations. I was very happy when you made your post #56. For some time I had been observing that members tend to post something and then when you take it up and start your argument, they come round and tell you, in so many words, that it was not what they intended. This problem was got over by our ancestors in a novel way. In any debate they used first state in detail the Purvapaksha arguments. Then each point was taken and debated in detail to disprove the contention and prove one's own point. I thought you were trying this method and I like your presentation. It served the purpose well.
But then horses that come wearing blinkers do not see any thing to the left or right. I am not accusing any one specifically here.

I would even suggest that our major debaters clearly state their position on the controversial subjects point by point as a position statement first. Then those who come to take the opposite view can take points one by one and debate. That would bring some kind of order and discipline to the thread and save from the tedium of repetition and resulting fatigue.

Last edited:
But then horses that come wearing blinkers do not see any thing to the left or right. I am not accusing any one specifically here.
I hope scientists who wear blinkers also come under the category of such horses. If yes, they wud be something else, not just horses. I am not accusing anyone specifically here.

M/s HH,
The assumptions made by you (regarding my son's visit to collect the article)could not be even remotely correct.In USA, the custom is to call,ascertain the convenience before visiting anyone's house.Further the visit has been made to a family well known in India.If they had any problem,the usual practice is to apprise the other party about the actual problem.
Even in INDIA,I have visited a number of North Indian,s houses(many times strangers).
In all the cases,they request you to come inside the house,offer water,and ask how they can be of help to me.Any way,let us not give too much importance to this isolated incident.
I would have been happy if you had offered your views about other caste people in Hindu
Society who are in large numbers taking concrete action on abolition of caste System and why only a minority community has to take the initiative.If the majority communities in Hindu Society work for abolition of caste system and the Brahmin community either do not cooperate or raise objections,there could be a genuine reason for blaming the Brahmin community.

Dear Mr. Krishnamurthy,

I have said this earlier. I repeat it now. Can any one who is vociferous about the need for reform of brahmin community say confidently that there will be no casteism the moment all the brahmins in TN/India are made to vanish into thin air or are converted to other castes en mass. In Tamil I had asked ஒரு மந்திரக்கோலை ஆட்டி எல்லா பிராமணர்களையும் கழுதைகளாக்கி விட்டால் ஜாதிகள் ஒழிந்து விடும் என்று யாராவது நிச்சயமாகச்சொல்ல முடியுமா?

I hope scientists who wear blinkers also come under the category of such horses. If yes, they wud be something else, not just horses. I am not accusing anyone specifically here.

Dear HH,
I am amused- amused that a student of science can have so much of negative feelings against the scientists.

Last edited:
Dear BK sir, the reason is, they have been and still are, the fiercest defenders of the system, and their scriptures offer the intellectual foundation upon which the whole caste system is built. If the leaders, both religious and secular, of the Brahmin caste openly and boldly declare that the varna/caste system is not valid for Kali Yuga and people should abandon their caste identity (something that will happen when "hell" freezes over) I think that will amount to a death knell for this system.

BTW, I understand how your son might have felt. I know how the SVs in the U.S. who want to be observant, behave. As you have correctly observed, let us not give too much importance to such incidences, IMO, they are but victims of a once inclusive and progressive religious belief system gone totally awry 180 degrees. The SV of Bhagavat Ramanuja was an all-inclusive loving system. What remains of it now is a system hijacked by the brahmins and is totally opposite to that of the azhvars and early Acharyas.

best regards...

Dear Krishnamurthy,

The other day I was witness to this conversation:
எ) யப்பா திருப்பதில பெரிய கேள்வி அப்பன் ஜீயர் புதுசா ஒரு ஆளு வந்திருக்காராம்.
ஒ) கோவிலில குடுக்கறாங்களே பெரிய அப்பம் அது அவரு தான் பண்ணறாரா?

If I go and tell this man:

அஹோபில மடம் ஜீயரு சொல்றாரு ஜாதிய எல்லாம் மறந்துடுங்கன்னு

The reply I may get will be this:

ஆங் இப்போ நீ சொன்னியே அத திருப்பி சொல்லு. .............. ஆங் அது தான் ஜீயருன்னு சொன்னியே அது என்னப்பா. தெரியலியே.

I have immense amount of respect for the two religious figures I have mentioned in the above conversation. My attempt was only to point out the hollowness in the argument that if brahmins reform every thing will be hunk and dory. Brahmins are not in a position where their words and actions will influence or change the society. It is better to leave them alone to manage their affairs.

Last edited:
Brahmins are not in a position where their words and actions will influence or change the society. It is better to leave them alone to manage their affairs.
In the colonial period, brahmins went to court to testify varnas and decided quite a few outcomes of the modern day society. We owe caste-based reservations and caste-based politics to such a legacy.

Before that, tribal guys were converted into ‘Kshatriyas’ by priests and together they decided outcomes in the society. Now ‘brahmins’ claim their actions will not affect the society.

Basically ‘brahmins’ today want to:

1) Designate themselves brahmins no matter what.

2) As far my understanding goes, everyone is born a shudra (janmana jayate shudra); and a child upon receiving brahmopadesham / upanayanam is called a brahmachari student (not a brahmin). After he completes his education, becomes a vipra, thereafter he is called a brahmin. However in the name of protecting dharma, brahmins have corrupted the system, so much that they inherit brahamana-gnanam by birth and are called brahmins by birth. And everyone must accept the hypocrisy.

3) Shri TKS tells me that “If someone says they are Brahmin in today's day and age you accept that as their identity. That is a respectful thing to do.” If this was year 1511 instead of 2011, who knows it is even possible that I would be given a few slaps, and made to accept that TKS is a brahmin. All the while telling me that it a ‘respectable’ thing for me to accept him as such. I suppose even in year 2011 some people still cannot stop ordering people. Afterall, everyone should accept whatever the 'brahmin' says.

4) If culture is what folks want, tehre are many names available like Srivaishnavas, Madhavas, Brihacharanams, Vathimas, etc. But no, all of them want to be brahmins by birth, even if one as an individual has not earned that position. TKS’s American friend wisely calls himself a Non-Brahmin. In today’s world, foreigners seem to understand hinduism better. How unfortunate.

I don’t know how much more we can corrupt the system, and how much more anyone can claim inaction for themselves, just to safeguard their own interests.

Let the society go to the dogs, who cares. Afterall we can run industries successfully while cribbing about DK and Sudras for timepass. Our middleclass is doing well. We can migrate to other countries. And the ones who are not so bright can work as priests.

Why should we care about these asuras and shudras. Only we are good divine people, they have all inherited bad gunas and do not deserve our help. If at all we decide to help, it will be like a ‘varam’ which we give them. But we have a “covenant of Brahma” to keep, we cannot break it. It is better to leave them alone to manage their affairs.

-----------------

Shri KRS ji, please delete this posting if found offensive or if any member complains.

In the colonial period, brahmins went to court to testify varnas and decided quite a few outcomes of the modern day society. We owe caste-based reservations and caste-based politics to such a legacy.

Before that, tribal guys were converted into ‘Kshatriyas’ by priests and together they decided outcomes in the society. Now ‘brahmins’ claim their actions will not affect the society.

2) As far my understanding goes, everyone is born a shudra (janmana jayate shudra); and a child upon receiving brahmopadesham / upanayanam is called a brahmachari student (not a brahmin). After he completes his education, becomes a vipra, thereafter he is called a brahmin. However in the name of protecting dharma, brahmins have corrupted the system, so much that they inherit brahamana-gnanam by birth and are called brahmins by birth. And everyone must accept the hypocrisy.

3) Shri TKS tells me that “If someone says they are Brahmin in today's day and age you accept that as their identity. That is a respectful thing to do.” If this was year 1511 instead of 2011, who knows it is even possible that I would be given a few slaps, and made to accept that TKS is a brahmin. All the while telling me that it a ‘respectable’ thing for me to accept him as such. I suppose even in year 2011 some people still cannot stop ordering people. Afterall, everyone should accept whatever the 'brahmin' says.

4) If culture is what folks want, tehre are many names available like Srivaishnavas, Madhavas, Brihacharanams, Vathimas, etc. But no, all of them want to be brahmins by birth, even if one as an individual has not earned that position. TKS’s American friend wisely calls himself a Non-Brahmin. In today’s world, foreigners seem to understand hinduism better. How unfortunate.

I don’t know how much more we can corrupt the system, and how much more anyone can claim inaction for themselves, just to safeguard their own interests.

Let the society go to the dogs, who cares. Afterall we can run industries successfully while cribbing about DK and Sudras for timepass. Our middleclass is doing well. We can migrate to other countries. And the ones who are not so bright can work as priests.

Why should we care about these asuras and shudras. Only we are good divine people, they have all inherited bad gunas and do not deserve our help. If at all we decide to help, it will be like a ‘varam’ which we give them. But we have a “covenant of Brahma” to keep, we cannot break it. It is better to leave them alone to manage their affairs.

-----------------

Shri KRS ji, please delete this posting if found offensive or if any member complains.

Good post. It has become a fashion for brahmins to claim themselves to that title without even making effort. What effort constitutes brahminhood is a tough question! But what do you say of people who make no effort, but still want a title. I understand your agony.

Majority of people in India are still entrenched in biased opinions about some other group.

Yes you are right, the attitude that goes today is "Let everyone go to wherever they like, we are superior". But superior? If so superior why are their kids marrying outside and rebelling? Why are their kids foresaking their parents during old age? The brahmins who are arrogant will come face to face with reality in a harsh way. Then they sing a different tune.

If their children marries andhra brahmin, they say how I wish they had chosen anybody among tamil brahmins. If their children chose someone outside brahmins, they say how I wish they married atleast some brahmin. If their children chose a muslim or christian then they say, how I wish they married a hindu. If their children marry a totally different foreigner then they say how I wish they marry some good Indian. The list can be extended I think. I know personal examples relatives and friends, iyers and iyengars, palghat , tanjore , tirunelveli who have changed their tunes like this.

Today being brahmin is all about forming a marriage club. I dont qualify as an exception.
Good to remind us all. Keep doing this job. Either the brahmin should go back to his roots and make some effort to justify his title or give it up.
Being proactive about change like the Great Nachi is admirable!
Let us give a clap to him for being bold , proactive and honest.

-----------------

happy,

not much more i can say.

if KRS wshes to edit any portion of this post, hopefully he will give the reasons.

as a fellow member, i see nothing wrong. thank you.

subbudu, personally, i could not wait to get out of madras of those days, for i found the social claustrophobia among the brahmins too much to take. this was prior to the dravidian reformation.

nowadays, folks have either moved on or abroad. the leftovers crib about reservations as all of them are economically well off and money is no longer the issue.

yours truly ofcourse finds it difficult to keep quiet, much to my pathini's horror. anyone who complains about reservations, is indulged in a long lecture from me. lovingly and gently :) ofcourse!!

Last edited:
.... I used the name ‘nara 1’ and as stated it was not you but someone like you. I could have used a name DEF.
A distinction without any difference. The objection is to the caricaturing of my views. Reasonable exchange of ideas is impossible if you continue to insist on using negative characterizations and personal insults -- your point #1 is full of it and the rest of the post is sprinkled with very liberal doses of it all over. If I am to resort to the same technique, I could simply take the first paragraph, make a few small changes and direct it at you, and we can have a veritable tap-fight -- குழாய் சண்டை. But I try to avoid such fights as much as possible. So, I will leave it with a big "sigh".

I will record just a few comments on the actual issue -- the answers you have tried to give for the two questions I highlighted, once again ignoring all the pot shots.

You think I have come here and started a thread on “what people think of themselves when they call themselves as Tamil Brahmins” because I am some proud Brahmin
This is perhaps the source of all the wrath directed at me. I have no idea who you are or any of your antecedents. Why you started a thread, why you asked this question in the forum, are none of my business and besides the point. It does not even begin to address the question I raised in my first response in this thread, post #12.

You and perhaps one or two in this forum are the first set of people I have run into that seem to me to be totally obsessed with this ‘brahmin’ term. Why are you seemingly obsessed?
Whether I, and the one or two others, are obsessed with the term Brahmin, even if true, is irrelevant, either what I stated is valid, or is not valid. Let us stick to that question alone, please.

After some people tell you that it is an identity
I have already addressed this. To say that this is their identity and nothing more is just an assertion, and is not an answer to the broader questions I have raised. It is not about how an individual calling himself a Brahmin feels about this matter. The question is about this notion of Brahmin identity, why is that important, what does it do, what impact it has, and so on. It is possible to have a reasonable discussion if people don't go into defensive mode and start throwing epithets at people who raise these questions.

You want others to change their sense of identity of the term ‘Brahmin’ because you find the meaning of the term obnoxious.
Yes I do find the notion that Brahmin is one with all exalted gunas, the flip side of which being a "Shudra" is one with all vile qualities, quite obnoxious. This comes with the package of Brahminism. An individual claiming I take just the identity and nothing else may work for him or her, but it does not change the system in anyway.

Yes, I do want people to change, for the better. I do want people to think beyond their narrow caste identity and try some introspection, why is it that a vast majority of NB, even with so much animosity among themselves, reject Brahminism and what it stands for? This requires an honest accounting of the past and the present. We can have a conversation about this, or throw insults at each other. If you chose conversation sans insults I will be there talking with you. Otherwise, I won't respond any more.

Cheers!

subbudu, personally, i could not wait to get out of madras of those days, for i found the social claustrophobia among the brahmins too much to take. this was prior to the dravidian reformation.
Unlike you I loved my stay there during those times. Social sensitivity and social issues did not come up in this head of mine. I did not insult any low caste and was friendly by and large but I tagged along the tambram crowd.
What hit me slowly was something else. The hypocracy of it all. I moved out of chennai. First thing to hit me was that my own crowd was not the most friendly to me. I had by then seen that the selfishness in our society. I dont claim to be outside it. I found so many NBs outside TN, genuinely friendly and obviously so. I could go and eat in my neighbour's house whenever I wanted and enter without knocking the door. They would be careful about how food is prepared even without my worry. Switch the televlsion in their house and so on. He was not a brahmin. I have to think 10 times to visit some other B friends. That there was no brahmin hatred outside TN helped. Then I have to keep coming to chennai for this marriage, that marriage. So much attitude so much fuss in the relative circles. Your friend circle has widened outside your own caste circle.
For me its a gradual broadening. I still cherish many values that I grew up with. My relations parents all of them built a good value system. Its upto me to consciously cherry pick the good and throw the attitudes, selfishness etc etc.

....4) If culture is what folks want, tehre are many names available like Srivaishnavas,
Dear Happy, each and every point is a gem. I like #4 the most. This is what Periyazhvar, the one who is celebrated as the father-in-law of Lord Ranganatha, wanted when he implored the high-born to give up their பண்டைக்குலம் and join the தொண்டர்குலம் of SVs.

Swami Nammazhvar, even though an NB, was hoisted into the position of the top most acharya in this world for all SV branches by the early Acharyas, the ones who came before Bagavat Ramanuja. I am going to cite a verse from this azhvar -- the highest of all acharyas for SV, there are only three above him and all of them are celestial -- and I will let you decide by how much the present day SVs follow the true spirit of this verse. Here it is Thirvaymozi 3.7.9:
குலந்தாங்கு சாதிகள் நாலிலும் கீழ் இழிந்து எத்தனை
நலந்தான் இலாத சண்டாள சண்டாளர்கள் ஆகிலும்
வலந்தாங்கு சக்கரத்து அண்ணல் மணிவண்ணற்கு ஆள் என்று உள்
கலந்தார் அடியார் தம் அடியார் எம் அடிகளே!

kulanthAngu sAthikaL nAlilum kIz izinthu eththanai
nalanthAn ilAtha sandALa saNdALarkaL Akilum
valanthAngu sakkaraththu aNNal maNivaNNaRku AL enRu uL
kalanthAr adiyAr than adiyAr emadigaLE.

Please observe two instances of overemphasis Azhvar is employing. The first is to describe the subject of his devotion, namely a Bhaagavatha of Lord Manivannan (Narayana). Azhvar describes the caste status of this person in graphic terms. This devotee is a Candala to a Candala who himself is one devoid of any purity belonging to a despicable caste falling outside the four-fold jAti (from this it is clear that varna and jati were the same in Nammazhvar's time). Azhvar puts the second emphasis upon himself. He declares that a servant of the servant of this Candala's Candala, is his master, just as long as the Candala's Candala was a true devotee of Sriman Narayana.

This was the zeal of Azhvars and early Acharyas. Now, what passes for SV can be aptly described as ஒய்யாரக் கொண்டையாம், பிரிச்சுப்பாத்தா, ...... (out of deference to Azhvars I don't want to complete this adage, everyone knows how it ends, if you don't, send me a PM).

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Mr. Krishnamurthy,

Proof please.

Before that, tribal guys were converted into Kshatriyas by priests and together they decided outcomes in the society. Now brahmins claim their actions will not affect the society.

These are all stories spun by interested science students. Where is the proof that this is the truth?

Basically brahmins today want to:
1)It is not designation that they are bothered about. It is identity in a society where every one else is known by a certain identity like mudali, naidu,nadar etc etc.,
2)It is not by choice that they take the identity brahmin.It is the only identity available to you in a society in which every one is proud of his caste identity.

If proof is needed for my two statements above (Iknow it will be demanded because I have demanded proof above) the proof is readily available in the selection of candidates for the recently concluded elections to Tamilnadu Legislative Assembly. Every candidate without exception was belonging to the majority community in that constituency from which he contested.
If this is what is said in Dharmashastras what is the complaint here. It appears we need Dharmashastras to criticise Dharmashastras!

Mr TKS, you should have completed what you came to say. Out of your concern for decorum you did not perhaps say that "......It is a respectful thing to do. You should know that even if you do not accept it, the someone will ignore you and move. If you were to insist, stop him and demand that he submits that he is not a brahmin he would probably say "my foot" or some such horrible thing and moved ahead".(SM, you can sure expect a sos from HH on this)

All of them want to be Indians also by birth. Any objections?

Nice attempt at soup making. Problem is flavour and cooking.Envy, ignorance, industry, prosperity,borderless world with prospects,DK and finally that aggregate called Shudras all together half-cooked very badly and served. Please make another attempt with some other ingradients.

For a moment think about the panchaman in the ladder. He would say the same thing when he is kicked out of the village temple by a thevar for daring to come near that temple. Is it not that he does not know what he has inherited to be kicked out that way? And when the Govt (of the majority castes for the majority castes by the majority castes) decides to help them they help by giving free land to them for building their own temple. And what about those HH and the like in their ivory towers fighting the brahmins? Their rules are different. When it comes to brahmins be vociferous and shout at the top of your voice marshalling all your resources. But when it comes to atrocities by the numerically dominant communities, either ignore the atrocities or pay just lip sympathy by writing a sentence or two about that also!!

Mr. KRS please do not delete the posting. It will be a standing testimony to the forked tongue and hypocracy of the educated elite of tamils who have obsession with anything that has anything to do with brahmins alone..

Last edited:
Sowbagyavathy Happy Hindu, Greetings.

......4) If culture is what folks want, tehre are many names available like Srivaishnavas, Madhavas, Brihacharanams, Vathimas, etc. But no, all of them want to be brahmins by birth, even if one as an individual has not earned that position. TKS’s American friend wisely calls himself a Non-Brahmin. In today’s world, foreigners seem to understand hinduism better. How unfortunate.

I understand, the points in post #117 were directed to Sri.TKS. But there are people who have no option, but have to be known by the tag 'brahmin', officially. For example, my children would be automatically called 'brahmin' against the caste column in any official documents. To make the matters worst, in the past, if the caste column was not filled up, the application was not deemed valid.

The flip side of your criticism is, you are shooting at some people who are trapped in a barrel. It is quite possible, you may not be too concerned about the 'collateral damages'. You may bring forward many historical proofs; but, the fact remains, there are people who do not really have either superiority or inferiority complexes with the name of a caste, any caste. They may just see it just as an address in the social set-up and no more. Unfortunately, your detailed post did not address such neutral persons.

Your arguments are very nice; do you have a suggestion to make, please? Most if not all the neutral persons would agree with you; so, what is your alternative suggestion, please? What should they call themselves, which would be accepted officially, please? If you have a solution, then kindly write that too, please. Thank you. ( I am making this request sincerely. It is one thing to show the ills of the social frame work; without solutions, such criticism would sound empty. In my personal case, I did not want my children to go through caste system; I moved out of India. It will not be possible for everybody. So, what is the solution acceptable to to other castes too?).

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest ads

Back