• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Cry the Beloved Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nara's post #107

Click here for the question that you have to answer!
Raju, as long as you dodge answering this question (Praveen, is it possible to open the thread so that Raju is given a chance not to avoid giving an answer?) you are not really entitled to one.

That was nice way of escaping from the compulsion to answer an inconvenient question. The question you have shown in the hyperlink is an old one on which we had had a long conversation. It appears you are not able to get my position on the issue clearly. If that is the case, I am going to give you the answer now in a “final” attempt, which will be acceptable to any normal reader.

As you have a tendency to bring in specious arguments and to nit-pick on the form of the post than its content, I would like to first state your position as I have understood it from what you have posted here (the hyperlink). You will have to confirm that that is indeed your question and only then I will give my answer. This is to hold you to a position, prevent you from going round and round with freewheeling frenzy and to avoid your later saying “that is not what I wanted/meant etc.,” Something like a statement of poorpaksha- something with which you must be quite familiar because of your close connections(‘Inner circle’ as you choose to call it) in the past with an Acharya and a SV matom..

Poorvapaksha stated by Nara:

1. In Srivaishnava sampradhaya Alwars and Acharyas have an eminent position. What they have said is all considered true knowledge and is revered and sought after and followed by srivaishnavas. Two of these alwars –Thondaradippodi Alwar and Periyalwar (both these Alwars are brahmins by birth) in their prabhanthams have said:

(a) A brahmin Thondaradipodi Alwar said in Thirumaalai :

#41வானுளார் அறியலாகா வானவா என்பராகில்
தேனுலாம் துளப மாலைச் சென்னியா என்பர் ஆகில்
ஊனம் ஆயினகள் செய்யும் ஊன காரகர்களேனும்
போனகம் செய்த சேடம் தருவரேல் புனிதம் அன்றே.

#42.பழுதிலா ஒழுகல் ஆறு பலசதுப் பேதிமார்கள்
இழிகுலத்தவர்கள் ஏலும் எம் அடியார்கள் ஆகில்
தொழுமினீர் கொடுமின் கொள்மின் என்று நின்னொடும் ஒக்க
வழிபட அருளினாய் போல் மதிள் திருவரங்கத்தானே.

#43.அமர ஓர் அங்கம் ஆறும், வேதம் ஓர் நான்கும் ஓதி
தமர்களில் தலைவராய சாதி அந்தணர்களேலும்
நுமர்களைப் பழிப்பராகில் நொடிப்பதோர் அளவில் ஆங்கே
அவர்கள் தாம் புலையர் போலும் அரங்கமா நகர் உளானே.

(a.1.) Interpretation:

In verse #41 Azhvar describes a bhaktha in the first two lines. Then, he says, even if such a bhaktha engages or gets other people to engage in demeaning occupation, yet their leftover food is consecrated isn't it? Apparently not in the Matams I have visited where strict segregation between B's and NB's is practiced and B's go first and then only NB's except if it is a rich NB.

Verse #42 is addressed to high born Brahmins who can trace their lineage to Brahmma himself. Azhavr says to them, if you find a narayana bhaktha -- worship him (தொழுமின்), give your daughter in marriage (கொடுமின்), and take their daughters in marriage (கொள்மின்) -- even if that person is from the lowliest of low kulam. Praise him as equal to lord ranganatha.

In verse #43 he lashes out against those who wish to cling on to their lofty brahminhood. Wow, what anger against the proud brahmin. In this verse he takes the case of the most exalted of brahmins, one who is a leader among the vedic brahmins who are well read scholars of the six angas of Vedas and the four Vedas. Then Azhvar declares that even such an exalted person will become a despicable புலைய in an instant if he causes offense to a devotee.

(a.2.) Revered commentator PVP’s words in support of the argument:

Swami Periyavachan Pillai, the celebrated commentator of Divya Prabhandam has given the following interpretation for the verse #42 of Thondaradippodi Alwar:

பழுதிலா ஒழுகல் ஆற்று: ப்ரஹ்மா தொடங்கித் தங்கள் அளவும் வர நெடுகிப்போருகிற வம்ச ப்ரவாஹத்திலே ஒரு தோஷம் இன்றிக்கே இருக்கும் அவர்கள் அதாகிறது -- உத்பத்திகளிலே ஆதல், அசாராதிகளிலே ஆதல், ஒரு வகையிலும் ப்ராஹ்மண்ய ப்ரச்யுதி இன்றிக்கே இருக்கை.

பல சதுப்பேதிமார்கள்: இவ்வம்சத்தில் சதுர்வேதிக்ளாய் இருப்பார் அநேகர் என்கை.இழிகுலத்தவர்கள் ஏலும்: இதில் கீழ்ப்பட்டதில்லை என்னும் நிஹீந குலத்தில் பிறந்தவர்களே ஆகிலும், பஹூநாம் ஜந்மநாமந்தே என்கிறபடியே அநேக புண்யஜன்மங்களினுடைய அவஸாநத்திலே ஸ்வரூபஜ்ஞாநம் பிறக்கும் என்று சொல்லுகையாலே ஜ்ஞாந அதிகாராய் இருப்பார்க்கு நிஹீந ஜந்மம் கூடாது விதுர தர்மவ்யாதாதிகளைப் போலே கூடிற்றேயாகிலும்.எம் அடியார்கள் ஆகில்: என்னோட்டை அஸாதாரண பந்தத்தை அறிந்து ஜ்ஞாந அநுகூலமான ஸ்வ ஆசாரத்தை உடையராகில், கைங்கர்யமே எல்லா நன்மைகளுமாக நினைத்திருக்கும் அவர்களாய், ஈச்வரனும் " இவர்கள் திறத்தில் நாமே இவர்களுக்கு உபாய உபேயங்களும் எல்லா உறவும்" என்று நினைத்திருக்கப்படுமவர்கள்.தொழுமினீர்: நீங்கள் தொழுங்கள், "ஏத ஏவ ஸதாம் தம:" என்கிறபடியே உங்களுடைய வித்யா வ்ருத்தங்களும், ஜந்ம உத்க்கர்ஷங்களும், மத ஹேதுவாகை அன்றிக்கே தம ஹேது என்று இருக்கும் நீங்கள், அவர்கள் காலிலே விழுங்கோள். "காலேஷ்வபி ச ஸர்வேஷு" இத்யாதிகளில் சொல்லுகிறபடியே பகவத் ப்ரஸாதம் ஒழிந்த ஸாதநாந்தரங்கள் பயஸ்தாநம் என்று இருக்கும் நீங்கள் அவர்களை ஆராதியுங்கோள். "பரஸ்பர நீச பாவை" என்கிறபடியே ஸ்வரூபப் ப்ராப்தமான நீசபாவமானது அவர்களுக்கு ஸ்வரூப ஸித்தம். உங்களுக்கு துர்மாநத்தாலே துஷ்கரம். அவர்களைத் தொழவே உங்கள் ஸம்ஸார பீஜமான துர்மாநம் போம். நிஹீந ஜன்மத்திலே பிறந்தவன் ப்ராஹ்மணனுக்கு ரக்ஷகனாக எங்கே கண்டோம் என்னில், கைசிக ஸம்பந்தம் ப்ராஹ்மணனுக்குப் போக்கிக் கொடுக்க கண்டோமிறே.கொடுமின் கொள்மின்: அவர்கள் உங்கள் பக்கல் ஒரு ஜ்ஞாந அபேக்ஷை பண்ணில் நீங்கள் ஆதரித்துச் சொல்லுங்கோள். அவர்கள் பகவத் ஜ்ஞாநத்தை உங்களுக்கு ப்ரஸாதிக்கில் கேட்டு க்ருதார்த்தர் ஆகுங்கோள். ஜாதி நிபந்த்தநமான ஸம்பந்தம் போலேயாதல், குண நிபந்தனமான ஸம்பந்தம் போலேயாதல் நீர்மேல் எழுத்தான ஸம்பந்தம் அன்றிறே, இவர்களோடு பண்ணும் ஸம்பந்தம் இது யாவதாத்ம பாவியான சம்பந்தமிறே.என்று நின்னோடும் ஒக்க: இப்பாசுரம் பலப்ரதரான தேவரீரே அருளிச்செய்த பின்பு இதிலொரு ஸம்சயம் உண்டோ? எனக்குமேல் பூஜ்யர் இல்லாமையாலே என்மாத்ரமாகிலும் அவர்களை ஆராதித்து நல்வழி போங்கோள்.

--The most pertinent sections of the commentry have been highlighted. Look for the following important points SPVP makes, (i) the birth based superiority of brahmins (ii) to overcome this pride fall at the feet of those devotees of low birth, (iii) give and take spiritual knowledge from them

(a.3.) Conclusions:

--Alas, such revolutionary fervor fizzled in just a few centuries when orthodox brahmins provided very narrow interpretation for தொழுமினீர் கொடுமின் கொள்மின் as just showing respect and giving and receiving just common wisdom.

--With time one would expect egalitarian impulses to gain strength. But not among the Sri vaishnavas of our great tradition.

--Unfortunately, Azhvar's poetry, as understood by the brahmins of early Sri Vaishnavam has been obfuscated. Leaving Azhvar aside, and taking the interpretation provided by the great Swami Periyavachchan Pillai, a great Brahmin and celebrated as வ்யாக்யான சக்ரவர்த்தி. Can we say he was an "anti-brahminism crusader"?

--SVs, from the top to the bottom, for a long time now, have completely thrown these ideas expressed by SPVP out of the window, and yet hypocritically feign reverence to the same Acharyas.

--Unfortunately, neither Vadakalai, nor Thenkalai Sri Vaishnavas come anywhere close to the social order Azhvars and the great and revered commentators defined. Not a single NB Azhvar scholar will be allowed to join Prabhanda goshti anywhere. Not a single NB Azhvar scholar can get Perumal Theertham ahead of members of Brahmin goshti, let alone any Brahmin, not even the ‘namesake only brahmins’, taking the ஸ்ரீபாத தீர்த்தம் of NB Azhvar scholar.

(b) Another brahmin Periyalwar said inதிருப்பல்லாண்டு.Here is the last two lines of verse #5:
. தொண்டக்குலத்திலுள்ளீர் வந்தடி தொழுது ஆயிரம் நாமம் சொல்லி
பண்டைக் குலத்தைத் தவிர்ந்து, பல்லாண்டு பல்லாயிரத்தாண்டு என்மினே!
(thoNdak kulaththil uLLIr! vandhadi thozudhu Ayira nAmam solli
paNdaik kulaththaith thavirndhu pallANdu pallAyiraththANdu enminE)

(b.1.) Interpretation:

Here, by பண்டைக்குலம் Azhvar is referring to the high born brahmins. He is calling out to them to relinquish the high born status, "பண்டைக் குலத்தைத் தவிர்ந்து" and join the assembly of humble servants of Sriman Narayana தொண்டக்குலம்.

(b.2.) Conclusion

--Even though this Azhvar was and still is celebrated with the unique honor as being Sriman Narayana's மாமனார், his words of social reform never took hold among the Sri Vaishnava Brahmins.

--His lofty words were given very narrow interpretation by later day status- quo commentators.

--More than 1200 years ago this Azhvar dreamed of a casteless and egalitarian congregation of Sri Vaishnavas. Where did this fervor go?

Please confirm that this is indeed what you want to say. After getting your confirmation I will give you my reply. You can, of course, add and subtract from what I have given here. But please be brief and clear.

Cheers.

.....That was nice way of escaping from the compulsion to answer an inconvenient question.
Raju by partially quoting me you are presenting just the very opposite of what I actually said. Right after telling you that you are not entitled to answers from me, here is what I said,

"But, as I said earlier, I am not one to nurse a grudge, fire away, what are these questions that you say I am avoiding, list it, and I will try my best to answer them honestly and sincerely."

Ignoring this you are now mocking me that I am trying to escape. Why must I not take this as deliberately dishonest, pray tell? Further, this is the kind of derisive language I have been pleading people to avoid, but it is turning out to be a fool's errand.

I want to highlight some more unnecessary personal comments you have made to put me down as a person. Fortunately, I am able to resist the urge to reciprocate in kind.

• "It appears you are not able to get my position on the issue clearly."
  • ".... which will be acceptable to any normal reader." (my aside: if it is not acceptable to me I am somehow abnormal)
  • "...you have a tendency to bring in specious arguments and to nit-pick"
  • "If that is the case, I am going to give you the answer now in a “final” attempt,"

Something like a statement of poorpaksha-
I am glad you want to pin this down. First, let us be clear, this is not about how I would like to interpret Azhvar pasurams and early Acharya's writings. The question here is quite narrow. I have framed the question quite precisely in this post.

To be even more succinct, let us take just two instances from Periyavacchan Pillai's commentary:

தொழுமினீர்: "அவர்கள் காலிலே விழுங்கோள். "
The SV acharyas explicitly forbid a Brahmin SV from falling at the feet of NB SV no matter how great a Bhagavatha he/she may be. Swami Sri Desikan compares them to temple cow.

கொடுமின் கொள்மின்: "ஸ்ரீபாத தீர்த்த வைபவ பரமாகவுமாம்."
The SV acharyas explicitly forbid Brahmin SVs to accept even food that has been served to NBs first, let alone water from their feet.

Raju, please defend just this, not anything else. How come on the one hand SVs praise these acharyas to the hilt and at the same time flout these principles they have very precisely stated? And, if you can give your answer without making any comment about me the person, that would be so much the better.

Cheers!

Please refer to Post #127 or Nara:

I am glad you want to pin this down. First, let us be clear, this is not about how I would like to interpret Azhvar pasurams and early Acharya's writings.

This is certainly about your interpretations of the pasurams and the commentries. All these interpretations that are given in my post #126 above are your own words posted by you in the past in other threads (mostly in Enge Vaishnavam thread). I have not added anything to them. Now you are saying that this is not about how you would like to interpret Azhwar pasurams and early Acharya's writings (after having interpreted them that way). The link you have given in your post #127 forms part of what I have reproduced in my post#126 and you appear to be uncomfortable with poorvapaksha summing up.But why? Your debating methods are strange indeed. You are not even able to recognize and own your statements made in the past when some one quotes them. I thought You are really interested in a debate. But now I have to revise my understanding of your intentions. Okay. I leave it at that.

To be even more succinct, let us take just two instances from Periyavacchan Pillai's commentary:தொழுமினீர்: "அவர்கள் காலிலே விழுங்கோள். "
The SV acharyas explicitly forbid a Brahmin SV from falling at the feet of NB SV no matter how great a Bhagavatha he/she may be. Swami Sri Desikan compares them to temple cow.கொடுமின் கொள்மின்: "ஸ்ரீபாத தீர்த்த வைபவ பரமாகவுமாம்."The SV acharyas explicitly forbid Brahmin SVs to accept even food that has been served to NBs first, let alone water from their feet.Raju, please defend just this, not anything else. How come on the one hand SVs praise these acharyas to the hilt and at the same time flout these principles they have very precisely stated?

As you want to be succinct I too will be giving my answer succinctly.

The answer is this:
தொழுமினீர்: "அவர்கள் காலிலே விழுங்கோள். " and கொடுமின் கொள்மின்: "ஸ்ரீபாத தீர்த்த வைபவ பரமாகவுமாம்."

அவர்கள் -Do you know what is the meaning of this “அவர்கள்”? It is not NB SVs or B SVs. These are SVs, who are people mentioned in the “மேம்பொருள் பாசுரம் ”. இவர்கள் பிறப்பு ஒழுக்கம் இவற்றால் தாழ்வுடையவர்கள் ஆனாலும் மேம்பொருள் பாசுரத்தில் சொன்ன அறிவுடையவர்கள் . "மெய்ம்மையை மிகவுணர்ந்து, ஆம்பரிசரிந்துகொண்டு , ஐம்புலனகத்தடக்கி , காம்பரத்தலை சிரைத்து, உன் கடைத்தலை இருந்து வாழும் சோம்பர்" . These அவர்கள் are not the NB/B SVs who come to the Acharyas for showing off their bhakthi/acharya bhakthi/social status/inner circle members etc. So, as long as such an “அவர் ” comes to the Acharya the acharya will not be able to show him to his sishyas and tell them "அவர்கள் காலிலே விழுங்கோள். ", கொடுமின் கொள்மின்: or.. அவர்களை ஆராதியுங்கோள் .... அவர்கள் உண்ட சேஷத்தை புஜியுங்கோள் ..... அவர்களின் ஸ்ரீபாத தீர்த்தம் அருந்துங்கோள்." Etc., Moreover it is indeed strange that one who does not believe even in the existence of God and can never understand the true meaning of மேம்பொருள் போகவிட்டு பாசுரம் has to speak eloquently about the பாகவதோத்தமார்கள். It is like the Thevar party leader in Tamilnadu shedding crocodile tears about the plight of dalits or the blind man talking about the elephant’s shape. I can elaborate. But as you wanted it to be succinct I stop with this. Please go through the 38[SUP]th[/SUP] pasuram in திருமாலை and understand who Alwar or PVP is speaking about. Find a பாகவதோத்தம and bring him to my acharyan and he will instruct me "அவர்கள் காலிலே விழுங்கோள். ", கொடுமின் கொள்மின்: or.. அவர்களை ஆராதியுங்கோள் .... அவர்கள் உண்ட சேஷத்தை புஜியுங்கோள் ..... அவர்களின் ஸ்ரீபாத தீர்த்தம் அருந்துங்கோள்." etc.

Cheers

Last edited:
... I have reproduced in my post#126 and you appear to be uncomfortable with poorvapaksha summing up.But why? Your debating methods are strange indeed.
We have debated all this enough. The question now is the rank hypocrisy of SV Brahmins and SV acharyas who on the one hand wax eloquent about Azhvars and Acharyas and at the same time flout even the most direct teachings such as the one I pointed out.

அவர்கள் -Do you know what is the meaning of this “அவர்கள்”? It is not NB SVs or B SVs.

How is one to tell who among the SV Bs are அவர்கள் and who among the NBs are not அவர்கள்? The only rational approach is to treat them all equally. If we can give the benefit of doubt to SV Brahmins and treat them as அவர்கள், then, the letter and spirit of Azhvar and Acharya's words demand the same benefit of doubt is afforded to SV NBs.

But the reality is, the devotees coming to Matams or temples are routinely grouped by jAti. No NB is allowed to join any goshti anywhere, temple or Matam. NBs are carefully separated and made to stand aside, not along with Brahmins. All Brahmins are served first in order to avoid the shesham of NBs. Who is to say that these NBs are not the true Bhagavathas Azhvar and Acharya had in mind, but the Brahmin with a poonal on and with twelve thirumans is?

In addition, some SV acharyas who came 100 to 150 years after PVP, Swami Sri Desikan being the most preeminent among them, clearly state NB SVs, however great their Bhakti may be, they are only like a temple cow, we may give them respect, only to the extent Dharmashastra rules are not violated.

It is like the Thevar party leader in Tamilnadu shedding crocodile tears about the plight of dalits or the blind man talking about the elephant’s shape.
Raju, you are one adamant fellow, you just can't make one post without taking a swipe?? The stench of such repeated behavior is sickening.

Reference post # 129 by Nara:

Raju, you are one adamant fellow, you just can't make one post without taking a swipe?? The stench of such repeated behavior is sickening.

I am not surprised that for one who wallows in and dispenses liberally dry petrid fish and sewerage water, good fragrant spray will only stink and be sickening. Am I harsh? You invited/asked for it.

Last edited:

How is one to tell who among the SV Bs are அவர்கள் and who among the NBs are not அவர்கள்? The only rational approach is to treat them all equally. If we can give the benefit of doubt to SV Brahmins and treat them as அவர்கள், then, the letter and spirit of Azhvar and Acharya's words demand the same benefit of doubt is afforded to SV NBs.

The SV brahmins are not treated as avarkal and no one goes and eat the sesham of what they ate or take the sreepaatha theerththam from them. So in the absence of a personal knowledge of one's stage in the spiritual journey towards God every one is treated equally. But for the prejudiced one with a mind which sees only politics in everything there will always be some discrimination or other to blow up and harp on. It is a genetic/pathological disease which can never be cured.

Last edited:
Reference post #129:

Now that all your pending questions have been answered you can go and take rest and ruminate over what you have achieved.

The SV brahmins are not treated as avarkal and no one goes and eat the sesham of what they ate or take the sreepaatha theerththam from them. So in the absence of a personal knowledge of one's stage in the spiritual journey towards God every one is treated equally. But for the prejudiced one with a mind which sees only politics in everything there will always be some discrimination or other to blow up and harp on. It is a genetic/pathological disease which can never be cured.

I admire your posting, your knowledge, and the right amount of force is inspiring.

Sometime back Narayan (Zebra) took issue with me about the informal grouping of the members, he wanted three groups. He was right of course and I did accept his suggestion. Now, I want to address this post to that middle "group" he wanted.

As Raju observes, I should have known what I was getting into. Right from posts 107 and 109 I have been pleading with Raju to avoid personal comments. But it did not make any impact on him. He continued to make them, again and again and again. Such repeated behavior made me impatient and in one moment of failing I made a comment and back comes a big splash, immediately drawing Likes from srang, C Ravi, prasad1 -- I wonder what they like about insults being thrown about. Anyway, I have to admit it is my fault, I should have known better.

Siva, I don't have any faith in god or religion, but I also have the courage of my conviction to stand up and offer arguments. The only thing is I have to choose my adversaries more carefully.

Cheers!

I am not surprised that for one who wallows in and dispenses liberally dry petrid fish and sewerage water, good fragrant spray will only stink and be sickening. Am I harsh? You invited/asked for it.

Sometime back Narayan (Zebra) took issue with me about the informal grouping of the members, he wanted three groups. He was right of course and I did accept his suggestion. Now, I want to address this post to that middle "group" he wanted.

As Raju observes, I should have known what I was getting into. Right from posts 107 and 109 I have been pleading with Raju to avoid personal comments. But it did not make any impact on him. He continued to make them, again and again and again. Such repeated behavior made me impatient and in one moment of failing I made a comment and back comes a big splash, immediately drawing Likes from srang, C Ravi, prasad1 -- I wonder what they like about insults being thrown about. Anyway, I have to admit it is my fault, I should have known better.

Siva, I don't have any faith in god or religion, but I also have the courage of my conviction to stand up and offer arguments. The only thing is I have to choose my adversaries more carefully.

Cheers!

all right! points taken..

what's that extra special interest you have here with tamizhbrahmins and their welfare (expecting to tow your line of supposedly claimed advanced thoughts ), when you yourself had out rightly rejected brahminism/hinduism/religion/ SV ?

in this small world with all this instant communique,forums etc, why you wish to thrust your supposedly good idea's on the tamizhbrahmins alone?

why im asking this!!! sometime back you referred lennnon's 'imagine'.. you wanted one world, no religion et all.. its fine there, nothing wrong! but why you have chosen to preach your ideology among tb's. you could have tried it every where..

deep within, some where down the line, touch your heart and say, is that the tamizh brahmin in you, which you subconsciously dont want to get rid of it, and want to hang around with the claim of ex.TB.

some where there is a tradition, which you, i and every one wants to hang on with.. this is what raju/prasad/kunjuppu/ravi are referring to..

if your claim for concern for the mankind is true, show me some url, where you have countered muslims/christians/jews. if not, its self evident, you are one among here, but wanna enjoy fun, taking a poles apart view..

PS: hope no crocodile tears are shed, citing this post as personal attack

Brilliant, sir. They dare not criticize others - will either lose livelihood or just head.

all right! points taken..

what's that extra special interest you have here with tamizhbrahmins and their welfare (expecting to tow your line of supposedly claimed advanced thoughts ), when you yourself had out rightly rejected brahminism/hinduism/religion/ SV ?

in this small world with all this instant communique,forums etc, why you wish to thrust your supposedly good idea's on the tamizhbrahmins alone?

why im asking this!!! sometime back you referred lennnon's 'imagine'.. you wanted one world, no religion et all.. its fine there, nothing wrong! but why you have chosen to preach your ideology among tb's. you could have tried it every where..

deep within, some where down the line, touch your heart and say, is that the tamizh brahmin in you, which you subconsciously dont want to get rid of it, and want to hang around with the claim of ex.TB.

some where there is a tradition, which you, i and every one wants to hang on with.. this is what raju/prasad/kunjuppu/ravi are referring to..

if your claim for concern for the mankind is true, show me some url, where you have countered muslims/christians/jews. if not, its self evident, you are one among here, but wanna enjoy fun, taking a poles apart view..

PS: hope no crocodile tears are shed, citing this post as personal attack

..........and back comes a big splash, immediately drawing Likes from srang, C Ravi, prasad1 -- I wonder what they like about insults being thrown about. Anyway, I have to admit it is my fault, I should have known better.

Cheers!

Shri Nara,

As far as I am concerned, I neither indulge in personal attacks nor support such ideas. When I click "Like" to a post, I should re-iterate that, I like the posts for its prime content/message, excluding any personal comments on any member.

Any of the opposing ideas that's been shared here, I consider them as the ideas of a group of people with some specific belief and perceptions. The group of people may be from among the members of this forum and or in general and any counter argument to them is against the ideas presented here and not on the member as a person.

This is applicable for all the so called 2 groups or 3 groups that you are wishing to classify and come up with.

Unless a member is persoanally attacked for his/her expressions of views, it is meaningless to any of us to get aggitated, having posted what we deemed fit as per our belief and understanding.

If any anology is used to refute, and if that happens to be harsh/funny, let us take it as against the ideas presented and not against the member with the sense of mocking on and insulting him/her. When opposing views are presented under sensitive topics, any group may end up counter arguing and presenting the case in a more stronger way. As long as there is no clear indication of personal attacks, it is better not to be agitated and get upset.

A member as a Theist or respecting Brahmns/Brahminsm some way AND a member as Atheist or against the very identity of Brahmins/Brahminsm may have a set of members holding on the same views and opinions. And we can well consider these as the voice of the different mind set people in our physical society. In such sensitive topics when heated arguments, relevant anology, expressions, terminologies are used, let us consider them as the efforts towards effective counter aruguments and presenting the better contrasting views in order to substantiate the claims.

We should avoid saying "You Theists are...", "You Atheists are....", "You Brahmins are..." "You self proclaimed Brahmin reformists are..." etc..etc.. I never do that.

Those who are still around, and the ones who don't feel the urge to issue Likes to other people getting insulted, I shall make one last post, one that bolsters the point that the present day SVs and their Acharyas praise their Azhvars and early commentators, but at the same time not only fail to live up to those standards, but have built limits to their view based on Dharmashasthras.

For starters, it would strain any reasonable person's credulity that in the last 1000 years there have been so many Brahmin Bhagavatha worthy of accepting sesham and sri pada theertam, but not a single worthy NB has been found, not a single one. This is because a necessary prerequisite for such worthiness is being a Brahmin, the very idea that Azhvars rejected forcefully.

Then there is this notion of testing the worthiness of a Bhagavatha. This idea of testing is anathema to Azhvars. How is one to tell who is worthy and who is not? We have Brahmin Sanyasi heads of SV institutions whose sesham, not just from the vessel, but from the leaf itself, and sri pada theertham are readily accepted, how do we know whether they are worthy? What test did they pass to become worthy? (Please do not misunderstand me, I am not saying they are not worthy, all I am saying is they didn't have to tear open their hearts to prove their worthiness.)

Azhvar seems to have been aware of this practical difficulty. May be because of this the test Azhvar prescribes is very simple, all he wants is for someone to say "Oh the one who lives for ever in the abode even devas can's comprehend" (வானுளார் அறியலாகா வானவா என்பர் ஆகில்), "Oh the one with honey dripping basil in your head" (தேன் உலாந் துளப மாலைச் சென்னியா என்பர் ஆகில்), that is it, if someone just says these things, that is sufficient, the Azhvar declares, for their sesham to be considered sacred even if they are ones who make their living by butchering animals and selling its meat. This is it, no other test to see whether they are truly a worthy Bhagavatha!!!

Kulasekarazhvar says he wishes to be a step on the hills of Thiruvengadam upon which bhagavathas happily tread (அடியார் கிடந்து இயங்கும் ..... படியாய் கிடந்து), he did not say he wanted the bhagavthas to be tested first, whether they are true or not.

You know my friends, the typical SV pooja culminates with what is called Satrumurai, which starts with the last two verses of Thiruppavai of ANdaL. Ironically, women are not allowed to join in the goshti in any temple or SV institutions. Neither are NB SVs allowed to join with them in reciting Azhyvar pasurams, even those pasurams of those Azhvars who were NBs.

This is the reality for all to see. Go to Parthasarathy Swami temple in Thiruvallikkeni, or Udaiyar Sannithi in Sri Rangam, or Andal sannidhi in Thiruvillipuththur, or even Thiruppathi Thirumalai where all and sundry will be let in for the special Satrumurai sevai as long as you are wearning a poonal, have Thiruman Sri Choornam on the forehead, and no girudha on your cheeks, no further questions asked, but if you are female, or do not have a poonal, you will be summarily pulled aside, no matter how great a Prabhandam scholar you may be.

Now, I let those who do not have an urge to defend the tradition at all cost judge my view, I will accept it.

Cheers!

Unless a member is persoanally attacked for his/her expressions of views, it is meaningless to any of us to get aggitated, having posted what we deemed fit as per our belief and understanding.

the present rule of law expected every one to follow is, do not attack a person, but you are free to attack a group or a community. this is what the double standard.

some went on to show the middle finger to the 'brahmin community', when that person is responded back with the same 'middle finger' it was a hue and cry, raising an SOS for personal attack..

look at this carefully worded post directed towards sh.nacchinarkinayan, whom i respect a lot. i bet, this post escapes the self made law of 'personal attack'..

So, what is so great about those who are on the "other" side that makes them தொட்டா சிணுங்கி? Why can't they take some lumps we on this side routinely take

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/religion/7331-devi-mahatmyam-4.html

looks like, 'gang attack' or attack on a community is ok,.... but not personal attack..

Last edited by a moderator:
Kulasekarazhvar says he wishes to be a step on the hills of Thiruvengadam upon which bhagavathas happily tread (அடியார் கிடந்து இயங்கும் ..... படியாய் கிடந்து), he did not say he wanted the bhagavthas to be tested first, whether they are true or not.

why one want to TEST some thing which has been put under the 'FAITH" norm?\

aren't they poles apart? and arent you using a thermometer here to measure velocity!!

lets discuss this point in god exists thread , please

Siva, I don't have any faith in god or religion, but I also have the courage of my conviction to stand up and offer arguments. The only thing is I have to choose my adversaries more carefully.Cheers!

I was not talking of "courage of conviction". I was clear in my words. I was referring to the courage to accept one's mistake. Though I am a theist, I had the courage to say that a fellow theist went overboard in his comments. But you have not come out open criticising some unwanted comments and personal attacks from your fellow atheist. In fact, you also often put up provocative posts. They are bound to kindle the emotions of the affected party and at times they cross the lakshman rekha. Like ShivKC, I also referred to attack on "group of individuals", which is also not correct.

ஒருத்தர கொன்னா கொலை; நூறு பேரைக் கொன்னா பொது சேவையா?

I was not talking of "courage of conviction". I was clear in my words. I was referring to the courage to accept one's mistake. Though I am a theist, I had the courage to say that a fellow theist went overboard in his comments. But you have not come out open criticising some unwanted comments and personal attacks from your fellow atheist. In fact, you also often put up provocative posts. They are bound to kindle the emotions of the affected party and at times they cross the lakshman rekha. Like ShivKC, I also referred to attack on "group of individuals", which is also not correct.

ஒருத்தர கொன்னா கொலை; நூறு பேரைக் கொன்னா பொது சேவையா?
Siva, all I can say is I abhor personal insults, whoever does it, whomever the victim.

If you look at the exchanges dispassionately you will find that the preferred response of the so called theists for any criticism of theism is to hurl a whole bunch of insults. You want to draw a moral equivalency between this and criticism of religion/god/theism. Fine, but in my books this is just not correct. What we now have is one group making spirited arguments and another that hurls insults. I am tired of all this insult-mongering.

Clubbing personal insults with challenges to long held beliefs, what you call provocative, can never be accepted. The only reasonable lakshman rekha is to refrain from making personally insulting and degrading comments. To draw it at not kindling the emotions of people is completely meaningless, anything can be offensive to somebody.

Thank you .....

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant, sir. They dare not criticize others - will either lose livelihood or just head.
Speaking of livelihood alone, theists (priests, imams, brahmins, christian-clergy, religionists) are in danger of loosing their livelihood if people become atheists. Atheists do not depend on livelihood based on religion, hence have nothing to loose, except their heads to theists who can become rabid fanatic zealots to the extent of bombing, killing, etc all in the name of safeguarding their religion.

Religion is like medicine. If utilized correctly it can be therapeutic. If overdone (overdosed), it can kill. It depends on the individual person, how each wishes to use it...

Last edited:
Speaking of livelihood alone, theists (priests, imams, brahmins, christian-clergy, religionists) are in danger of loosing their livelihood if people become atheists. Atheists do not depend on livelihood based on religion hence have nothing to loose, except their heads to theists who can become rabid fanatic zealots to the extent of bombing, killing, etc all in the name of safeguarding their religion.

Very clever clubbing. But the hatemongering atheists (non-brahmins) have everything to lose! If theists cease to exist, these hatemongers will have nothing with which they can satisfy their itch!

கால பைரவன்;105656 said:
Very clever clubbing. But the hatemongering atheists (non-brahmins) have everything to lose! If theists cease to exist, these hatemongers will have nothing with which they can satisfy their itch!

Very carefully crafted distinction between some atheists (brahmins) and other atheists (non-brahmins)!

ROFL... then LOL.
:)

கால பைரவன்;105656 said:
Non sequitur. If theists cease to exist, there won't be necessity for any itch...

கால பைரவன்;105658 said:
According to HH, brahmins are theists! Naturally atheists, including the hatemongering ones, have to be non-brahmins!

Try to keep up, dear Yamaka :-)
Please do not conjur up things on my behalf. I meant brahmins functioning as priests, purohits, etc...that is, those whose livelihood depends on theism. I did not refer to people in secular jobs (that is, those who do not depend on theism for their livelihood).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back