• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Self respect movement

• Thread starter Thread starter Nara
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
ஆரிய பாஷையில் பார்க்கும்போது மாத்திரம் கற்பு என்கின்ற பதத்திற்கு 'பதிவிரதை' என்கிற பொருள் கொள்ளப்படுகிறது. இந்த இடத்தில் தான் கற்பு என்கிற வார்த்தைக்கு அடிமைக் கருத்து நுழைக்கப்படுகின்றது என்பது எனது அபிப்பிராயம்.பதிக்கு அடிமையாய் இருப்பதையே விரதமாகக் கொண்டவள் எனப் பொருள் கொடுத்திருப்பதுடன் பதி என்கின்ற வார்த்தைக்கு அதிகாரி, எஜமான், தலைவன் என்கிற பொருள்கள் இருப்பதால் அடிமைத்தன்மையை இவ்வார்த்தை பலப்படுத்துகின்றன.

This shows the ignorance of EVR. Pathivrathai means one who has chosen the vratam of living only with her pathi-husband- and not what EVR says here. So the starting point of the argument is itself flawed.

கற்புக்காக புருடனின் மிருகச் செயலை பொறுத்துக் கொண்டிருக்கவேண்டும் என்கிற கொடுமை ஒழியவேண்டும்.

There is no such compulsion.

கற்புக்காக மனத்துக்குள் தோன்றும் உண்மைக் காதலை மறைத்துக் கொண்டிருக்கவேண்டும் என்கிற கொடுமை ஒழியவேண்டும்.

Yes. But unfortunately no one asked Maniyammai about this. Certainly EVR did not bother to ask Maniyammai who was in her 20s thought when she had to marry EVR whos was in his 70s.

Cheers.

This is the kind of constant barrage that I have to endure. People who cannot argue on issues make comments like this, about who I am, what I am, what I don't or can't realize, et al.
Would I be permitted to dismiss this as cheap? Why does Shri Nara sees himself there, when he is not mentioned?
It could very well be Sri Prasad's relation or a friend he is talking about.Shri Nara finds it very convenient to duck questions and arguments that places him in an uncomfortable position - either selectively answers them or provides a wishy washy answer or better finds an excuse. He then has his hands on the easy preys and blows the same canard often. If Shri Nara cares, there is enough there to argue about, but isnt it easy to make the other person look bad, so you can safely hide and run away. Can I now take turn to say - I am sick and tired of hearing this again and again and constant tirade by attaching self references when none are explicitly made. Can he do something about it to stop this whining please? (I have added a please, so it should be considered civil - ok?)
If I point this out I get accused of "double standard".
You also get exclusive privileges - such as as long as I am around ... types. Isnt accepting that and
finding fault with this a double standard?
This forum got rid of several people through this kind of harangue -- yes, yes, they left on their own, I know -- perhaps this kind of leaving "on my own" is what the intent is.
yet another constant diatribe which isnt very convincing to me at least. Wonder why they did not get
inspired by your survival or your instincts. I think it is just an opinion fit only to be passed.

Sri Ozone Ji,

I would have deleted this post immediately in the past for the following reasons:

1. You are coming in between two other peoples' conversation.
2. You are attacking a fellow member, saying things like 'whining' etc.
3. You are mocking.
4. You are saying that the Moderator is giving someone 'special privileges'. (Exactly what do you mean by this? - You better explain this properly or you will face the consequence)

What do you get by doing this? More importantly, you say that Professor Nara's post is 'fit to be passed', yet you don't 'pass' it. So why are you posting it? What contribution you are making to the dialog here, except creating hatered against a fellow member? How in this, you are any different from EVR?

Come on. Let us not do this. I am here to defend everyone's right to free speech, but not an accusatory verbage like this.

Please be careful next time.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited by a moderator:
Can he do something about it to stop this whining please? (I have added a please, so it should be considered civil - ok?)
ozone, I am at a disadvantage when Raghy himself denies he was having a civil discussion. However, I can tell you that just adding "please" at the end is not going to make anything civil, and from the mocking style you have used it is clear you already knew that!

To you, pointing out the barrage of personal comments, is whining, this means, whatever you guys do, I just have to grin and bear it, and if I do that, you may come back and tell me I have to enjoy it too, I suppose.

Please ozone, and your cohorts, please do not stop, bring it on, make it clear to everyone where the double standard is....

Last edited by a moderator:
A Self Respect Movement should mind other community's Self Respect too. Common folks in society may fail to have such a refined mindset and attitude to ensure that other community's Self Respect are not tarnished while protecting their own interest and self respect.

But, a person who takes the lead role to educated and direct the mass to work towards self respect, should not make the target audience lose their sense of fairness, discipline, justice, honestly, civility and humanity, to be successful in obtaining and retaining their self respect.

Such leaders are none other than evils of the society who instigate their followers tactfully in order to be successful in their personal motives.

What can be appreciated with sense of honor towards such leaders in disguise, who don't have the sense of discipline, respect and well being of each community and each individual of the society? What can be considered great about such a leader who lacks the sense of humanity?

How can a person be considered as an ideal leader, deserving respect, admiration and honor who instigates the sense of discrimination, separation and hatred towards fellow humans, Hindu religion, culture, tradition and belief systems, with his derogatory comments/remarks/actions?

It is the irony to admire a MAN just for his revolutionary thoughts and actions, irrespective of his core personality backed up by his ideologies, only to serve his personal interest.

Is it sensible and reasonable to admire a thief for his perfect skills of stealing and glorifying his success in his profession, ignoring the loses, heartbreaks and wound that he causes to his victims? I think it really makes sense among those who are least bothered about the victim's plight and the prevailing threatened & misleading situation in the locality, having themselves successfully taken a different route and methods to protect themselves.

EVR's speech on மதமும் மததர்ம பரிபாலனமும்:

சிலர் 'வேதம்' என்று ஒன்றைச் சொல்லி அதன்படி எல்லாரும் நடக்க வேண்டும் என்று சொல்லுகிறார்கள். அதில் என்ன சொல்லியிருக்கிறது, நான் பார்க்கலாமா என்றால், அது கடவுளால் சொல்லப்பட்டது, அதை நீ பார்ப்பது பாவம், நான் சொல்லுவதைத்தான் நம்ப வேண்டும் என்பார்கள்.

உலகத்தில் எத்தனைக் கடவுள் இருப்பார்கள்? ஒரு கடவுள் தானே! அவர் சொல்லியிருப்பாரானால் அது உலகத்திற்கெல்லாம் ஒப்புக் கொள்ளப்பட்டதாயிருக்க வேண்டாமா? அப்படியானால், கிருஸ்து, மகம்மது முதலிய மதங்களும், இந்தியா, தவிர மற்ற தேசங்களும், இதை ஒப்புக்கொள்ளும்படி கடவுள் ஏன் செய்யவில்லை?

ஆனதனால், இது கடவுள் சொன்னார் என்பது பொய் என்று யாராவது சொன்னால், உடனே, அவனை 'வேதப் பிரஷ்டன்' என்று சொல்லிவிடுவார்கள். இம்மாதிரி மூடுமந்திரமானதும், இயற்கைக்கும் அனுபவத்துக்கும் நாணயத்திற்கும் விரோதமானதுமான கொள்கைகள் நமது நாட்டில் இந்து மதத்தின் பெயரால் இருந்துகொண்டு ஒரு பெருஞ் சமூகத்தையே தேய்ந்து போகும்படி செய்வதோடு -- இதன் பரிபாலனம் என்னும் பெயரால் தேசத்தின் நேரமும் அறிவும் பொருளும் அளவற்று அநாவசியமாய்ச் செலவாகியும் வருகிறது.

Dear brother Nara ji,

This is again a very clever attack on Hinduism by EVR, which is fit for a dustbin.

1. No religion is based on 'logic'. They are based on 'faith'. As I have said before, every religion has it's sacerdotal rules. For example, the idea of 'Trinity' is an absolute concept in Christianity. And of course the consequence is that a lot of Christians believe that people who follow other religions are going to Hell. Belief in Koran and Sharia laws where women's roles are clearly defined (some would say in a negative way) is absolute in Islam. They also treat the 'infidels' badly. One can not touch Torah by anyone in Judaism and non Jews can not become Jews in orthodoxy. Likewise Hinduism has rules for who can learn Vedas based on the religion's concept of how to learn the God's own words. It has nothing to do with 'democracy', but rather with the sacerdotal rules.

Now one can argue that all the above in today's concept of humanism are wrong. But then one forgets that there have been and are reformation movements that have been addressing the practices to suit the modern times. In Hinduism, we have the fortune of having not only various paths to attain liberation and practice spirituality without regard to castes, we also have reformation movements like Arya Samaj etc. Not only that, even in the past, if any one is very sincere in learning Vedas properly, and go through proper channels, it was always available to them, as we have seen in many examples and instances. It is a good thing that Vedas are not easily available to an Atheist like EVR, whose intent is not to learn it out of faith but to tear it down.

Looking from today's mores, every religion has orthodoxy that can be termed as anachronistic.

So, to pick one aspect of Hindu orthodoxy and to criticize that against other religions is not only incorrect but also deliberately mischievous.

Regards,
KRS

EVR's speech on மதமும் மததர்ம பரிபாலனமும்:

சிலர் 'வேதம்' என்று ஒன்றைச் சொல்லி அதன்படி எல்லாரும் நடக்க வேண்டும் என்று சொல்லுகிறார்கள். அதில் என்ன சொல்லியிருக்கிறது, நான் பார்க்கலாமா என்றால், அது கடவுளால் சொல்லப்பட்டது, அதை நீ பார்ப்பது பாவம், நான் சொல்லுவதைத்தான் நம்ப வேண்டும் என்பார்கள்.

உலகத்தில் எத்தனைக் கடவுள் இருப்பார்கள்? ஒரு கடவுள் தானே! அவர் சொல்லியிருப்பாரானால் அது உலகத்திற்கெல்லாம் ஒப்புக் கொள்ளப்பட்டதாயிருக்க வேண்டாமா? அப்படியானால், கிருஸ்து, மகம்மது முதலிய மதங்களும், இந்தியா, தவிர மற்ற தேசங்களும், இதை ஒப்புக்கொள்ளும்படி கடவுள் ஏன் செய்யவில்லை?

ஆனதனால், இது கடவுள் சொன்னார் என்பது பொய் என்று யாராவது சொன்னால், உடனே, அவனை 'வேதப் பிரஷ்டன்' என்று சொல்லிவிடுவார்கள். இம்மாதிரி மூடுமந்திரமானதும், இயற்கைக்கும் அனுபவத்துக்கும் நாணயத்திற்கும் விரோதமானதுமான கொள்கைகள் நமது நாட்டில் இந்து மதத்தின் பெயரால் இருந்துகொண்டு ஒரு பெருஞ் சமூகத்தையே தேய்ந்து போகும்படி செய்வதோடு -- இதன் பரிபாலனம் என்னும் பெயரால் தேசத்தின் நேரமும் அறிவும் பொருளும் அளவற்று அநாவசியமாய்ச் செலவாகியும் வருகிறது.

Last edited:
Dear Sri.Nara, Greetings.

I am at a disadvantage when Raghy himself denies he was having a civil discussion.

Sorry about that. My aim was not to put you at any position of disadvantage. We did not have any discussion of any sensitive subject. The subjevts we discussed were not that sensitive to me at all.

But there are members here who hold very civilised discussions. When you said our discussion was a model, I did not feel that was right.

The forum did not even think we were having a serious discussion; if they did, bar Sowbagyavathy Renuka, no other member expressed that.

That was why I declined to even accept we had a discussion, leave alone a civil one.

Cheers!

Sri.Ozone, Greetings.

You also get exclusive privileges - such as as long as I am around ... types.

In this thread, I was the only one who stood up for Sri. Nara's right to express himself freely ( Besides the moderator). So, I don't have to be very brilliant to figure out the above quoted message. Sri.Nara does not have the exclusivity of my support. In the past I have stood my grounds, in some occassions for newbies against Stalwarts. There was a time I stood up for a newbie against Sowbagyavathy Happy Hindu; she saw the point in my arguments and apologised to the newbie. Even Sri. Nara, in the thick of debates with other members have been pulled up by me; I can recall atleast three occassions where he retracted his comments and rendered apologies to those members. He never mocked for my actions ever.

Kindly be informed before making comments, please. Thank you.

Dear Sri Prasad1 Ji,

Since you don't really 'know' what the 'majority views' exactly are, in the future, may I suggest you choose the 'like' option on his post, if you agree with his views?

Regards,
KRS

Very well said and I think Mr. Ravi you have expressed the views of majority. Thanks

Folks,

I am going to try here to take this discussion to a higher level. Let us see who is coming and for how long and how far.

What is left unsaid here is that Shudras are not to read Veda. This is a complaint against the religion in general and the brahmins in particular. But is this supported by hard facts? Please read further:

1. Please refer to Skaandam Sootha samhitha, SivamAhAthmya kAntam Adhyay 36-38.

2.Refer to Japaala SmrithiWhere it is said that "sruthi smruthi virOthEthu sruthirEva karIyasi. AvirOthe sathAkAryam smArtham vaidhIkavasthathA."

3.Refer to Apasthamba who said "virOthEth vanapEkshya syAth asathihyanumAnam, sruthi virOthe smruthi vAkyamanabEkshyamapramAnamanAtharanIyancha".

The contention here is that whenever there is a difference between what is said in Veda and Smrithi Veda is taken as authoritative and Smrithi should be ignored on that.

1. Please refer to ChandOkya upanishad in which the story of jAnasruthi, a shudra learning brahma vidhya from Raigva is elaborated. It goes like this "thathu hajAnasruthi: pouthrAyana; shatcathanigavAm nishkamacvatharIratham thathAyaprathicathramE thamhAmyuvAtha 1. rIgve mAnishatchathAnigavAmayam................. and goes on to speak about this in 5 slokas. In this story jAnasruthi is addressed as Shudra several times leaving no scope for any doubt as to whom he was teaching the veda.

2. Refer to Aithareya brAhmanam 12-3. where the story of a pancaman Gavashan (a hunter) learning vedas and conducting Yajnas for brahmins and kshatriyas. The story also explains how great sages(rshis) like kritsamatha, viswamitra, vAmadeva, Athri Bharatwaja and Vashishta sought the forgivance of Gavasha for a certain disrespect they showed him. Gsavasha's mantras form part of Rg Veda. 7th Ashtaka.

3. Chandokya upanishad 4th PrapAta contains the story of jApAlan a Rshi whose very gothra was unknown.

So it is a pure unfiltered lie to say that vedas prohibit any one from teaching vedas to Shudras and pancamas. This lie has been repeatedly driven in by EVR in all his writings. So he is a lier. More will follow.

Shri Raju,

Wonderful attempt in your post #286 that substantiates the claims that EVR is a lier.

What I believe is, "IGNORANCE" and "MISCHIEVOUSNESS" plays a major role to lose one's or a community's self respect. No matter what is the trend and what's the strength of an individual and or a community's economic standard is.

When an individual or a specific community remains ignorant and there exist a mischievous individual, the self respect of the individuals of that community would seem to be down or absent.

Ironically when the mischievous man takes the lead role, he would jolt the community in disguise of its betterment and that of the other community negatively, that is viewed as having the highest knowledge and control of Vedas, no matter if that leader could know the true contents of the Vedas.

As such, the leader succeeds in stimulating the psychology of the ignorant community and makes them feel that they are deprived of their self respect, though the people of the community know within deep inside them, that, they can't easily interpret properly the actual texts of the Vedas and that the leader may be misguiding them.

As a result, the ignorant mass would step into revolution, thinking, they are striving hard to obtain and retain their self respect. Thinking, their leader is working towards their betterment, having a great sense of social cause, to administer equality to all.

Subsequently, the revolution takes its best form and the mischievous leader obtains the political and social name and fame. Because, the leader has enlighten the ignorant community with the message that Brahminsm/Brahmins are the culprit, misleading the mass and depriving them of their self respect, claiming their highest authority and knowledge of Devas and Vedas.

As I said in my previous post, EVR was not the right/honest leader in true spirit to establish equality, harmony, love & respect and the sense of inclusion & unity in TN, among all the communities.

A leader of his potential could have applied a different and better strategy to uplift Dalits while retaining the self respect, self dignity, recognition and respect of the Brahmin community and thereby could have been in good books of every individual in TN. IF, ONLY IF, the leader does not have a dominant selfish desire to obtain name and fame in a quick and very easy manner, unmindful of establishing love, respect and the sense of inclusion among all the communities.

I for one, as humanist having a sense of equality would never ever have an iota of respect and admiration towards such cheap leaders.

Again what a stupid question to ask.
1. There are any number of holy books and various religions claim that they are God's or his messenger's words. But Hinduism never claims that vedas are God's words. This is the basic difference. One who did not understand this basic fact has no locus standi to criticise the religion.

2. God is one while claims of followers of religions are many. This is accepted by only the Hindu religion. It accepts that there are many roads to the same destination. Other major world religions may not accept this and it is not the issue here. A 'jnAni' who does not have the mataurity to understand this basic fact has no locus standi to criticise the Hindu religion.

3. If the question raised by this 3rd standard drop out is about the existence of God it is a different cup of tea altogether and can be dealt with separately.

Considering all this we can conclude only that EVR was an ignorant lier.

kadavul sonnaar enru yaarum solvathillai. So there is no question of any one being called Vedaprashtan. It appears that EVR did not understand anything about vedas nor did he try to understand. He is simply using bombastic language here -vedaprashtan etc.,--to make what he says look authentic (like one can use the word Sri mukham or epistle in place of 'letter' to impress the reader). No Hindu ever claimed that what is veda is what God said. What a pathetic revelation of abject ignorance this. So EVR was an ignoramus indeed. More later as the need arises. Cheers.

No Hindu ever claimed that what is veda is what God said. What a pathetic revelation of abject ignorance this.

surprised here. if you think, veda's were the literary works of sages, and god has no role in it, then vedas would be come just like another Othello or hamlet.

there is more in to it, i bet.

Dear Shivkc,

surprised here. if you think, veda's were the literary works of sages, and god has no role in it, then vedas would be come just like another Othello or hamlet.

It is not what I think. It is the fact. I never said vedas are the literary work of sages either. So they are not like Othello or Hamlet or even Ramayana or Srimad Bhagavatham or The Bible or Koran. Vedas are said to be anaathi meaning -origin not known and apourusheya meaning not created by any one. They are known to be the moochchu kaatru of God. I would ask you a simple question: who created knowledge? I would like to say just this much only here. Please refer to some good teacher he would be able to elaborate on this to you.

Cheers.

Hi nara sir,
I think ...u have nice topic for ur another ph.d degree.... the thesis title....brahminism with EVR's Karpu....an analysis

for ur ph.d thesis....another topic....comparative study of sri ramanuja with EVR's swaya mariadai....u can get 3 or more

ph.d's ...better it will help a lot of ppl....so that u can earn money as well as fame......but brahminism never care abt EVR theories...

becoz.......ஈ வே ராமசாமி நாயக்கர் உபதேசம் ....அது ஊருக்கு தான்....தனக்கில்லை...வேண்டுமானால் அந்த உபதேசம் கே

வீரமணிக்கும் மத்தும் மு கா வுக்கும்

ஒரு பொழுதுபோக்கு...

Last edited:
I would like to provide clarifications to some of the criticisms leveled against the texts I have been citing about EVR. I am going to break this response into three or four parts so that those who wish to read it wouldn’t find it daunting.

First, let me restate the parameters within which I am making these presentations.

1. I don't agree with every last word EVR has uttered, he himself exhorted his devotees to think for themselves and accept only what made sense to them,
  2. I didn't broach the topic of EVR, it was brought in by others --in the past I have always ignored them, but this time I wanted to present his own words, in context, on the outrageous charges that are routinely made as though they are facts,
  3. My admiration for EVR is based on the stands he advocated on caste, women, superstitions, etc.

Many if not most here look at EVR only through Brahmin prism and/or theistic prism. I will never be able to move them. To them my posts must be discredited so that their view of balance is restored. But, my posts are themselves in response to a one-sided hyperbole bordering on slander. They are for bringing a small measure of the "other side" if you will.

EVR was an ardent congressman for a long time. During this period he campaigned incessantly for communal representation, a sort of "reservation" policy that would provide access to the corridors of power to the "Shudras" and "Panchamas" (yes he fought for ”Panchamas” also). But, for obvious reasons, the Brahmins in Congress, and a few upper caste NB supporters, blocked his effort every time. Gandhi sided with the Brahmins. Finally, out of frustration EVR left Congress and joined the Justice Party. Whatever may be one's views on reservation, EVR fought for it for all NBs including "Panchamas". He played no small part in this fight and Dalits today enjoy the fruits of that fight he helped wage.

EVR was a prolific writer and speaker. In his life time EVR gave over 10,000 speeches. If his speeches are run continuously 24/7 it will run for more than 2 years. His writings are in many volumes. He laced his writings and speeches with salty language, and over the top rhetoric. So, it is not difficult to find some quote or other that will appear nonsensical, contradictory and offensive, when taken in isolation and read out of context. It is not very difficult for people like M. Venkatesan with a Hindutva agenda to paint a picture about EVR that Brahmins can enjoy. I am not saying EVR was a perfect angel, what I am saying is, taken as a whole, his ideas are revolutionary even today, let alone during his life time. Needless to say people are free to see whatever they want to see.

.... to continue

p.s. As I noted above, I am confident I am not going to move anybody. There will be several people vying to discredit what I am saying here. I have answered all their questions many times in the past. I am tired of repeating them again and again. So, please go ahead and say anything you want, please do not expect a point by point response.

Whatever may be one's views on reservation, EVR fought for it for all NBs including "Panchamas". He played no small part in this fight and Dalits today enjoy the fruits of that fight he helped wage.

Hi Nara,

I totally support our dalit brothers in India & their cause. !! However, on the reservations, I have a fundamental issue !!. Today unfortunately it is given, & the view that some dalits are doing well & enjoying benefits due to reservation have percolated into the system. They are "enjoying at the expense of millions of people"

Reservation is the key reason for the moral, cultural, economic decay in our country. (800+ mil below dire poverty line is simply unacceptable. - Also one of the CPM leader quoted this 800 Mil numbers in a recent news article 1 month back !!)

The day we gave a go by to merit, where some gained only because of their caste, the others in the society decided nothing will happen by honest hard work & started looting the country. And now we have daylight robbery !! The brilliant, honest & weak decided to migrate out of the country leaving the junk behind creating a gigantic mess !! The new borns, young within this 800 Mil are trapped in poverty.

thats why it is critical to get this debate correct & move towards a "capitalist, meritorious, free market economy". The unparalleled ability for a capitalist economy to generate wealth is what will lead us out of this mess. !!

Cheers,
JK

...Reservation is the key reason for the moral, cultural, economic decay in our country.

thats why it is critical to get this debate correct & move towards a "capitalist, meritorious, free market economy". The unparalleled ability for a capitalist economy to generate wealth is what will lead us out of this mess. !!
Dear JK, these are issues over which honest people can have profound disagreement. I come from the exact opposite view as yours. At the level of college admission and recruitment for low level government jobs, the question of merit is at best dubious.

Unfettered capitalism is all about exploitation, extracting every last ounce of surplus labor. Free market economy is a myth. Pure capitalism and the utopian free-market do not mix.

In any case, dear JK, I do not want to get side tracked into a discussion of free-market capitalism. Let us discuss Self-Respect movement here.

Cheers!

Dear JK, these are issues over which honest people can have profound disagreement. I come from the exact opposite view as yours. At the level of college admission and recruitment for low level government jobs, the question of merit is at best dubious.

Unfettered capitalism is all about exploitation, extracting every last ounce of surplus labor. Free market economy is a myth. Pure capitalism and the utopian free-market do not mix.

In any case, dear JK, I do not want to get side tracked into a discussion of free-market capitalism. Let us discuss Self-Respect movement here.

Cheers!

Hi Nara,

Sorry I have to point one thing out & then I am done with the subject of reservation in this thread !!

The low level govt workers are the one who fix the electric pole, put the lid cover on manholes, manage traffic signals, etc.,. you know how many kids, people have got electrocuted & fallen in to manholes etc..

Once you compromise on merit in any area - howsoever insignificant it looks, it will spread like contagion to all other areas !! which is exactly what happened. resevration started for 10 yrs only in low level workers & has spread all over.

Shortly people will ask for reservation for PM post/cabinet ministers, army etc.. :)

Cheers,
JK

Folks,

This has for reference post #293 in this thread:

First, let me restate the parameters within which I am making these presentations.
My parameters: Though I will be recording my counters to what is stated here by this particular member, I will be addressing all my replies to the members in general as I do not want to appear to be addressing my arguments to a stone wall. I believe sincerely that I represent the views of a majority of the members of this forum. At the end of all these we can even conduct a poll to determine whether this is indeed so or not. That will help me decide whether I should continue here in future or not.
I don't agree with every last word EVR has uttered, he himself exhorted his devotees to think for themselves and accept only what made sense to them
This is well understood since this statement comes to our notice for the nth time. It is also understood –even though left unsaid-that whatever is excerpted/ reproduced here are all words of EVR which make excellent sense to the poster and that he agrees with every word of what is said there by EVR. If this is not the case then the poster should clarify and add a tag after those sentences which do not make sense to him. This will only be a reasonable expectation from the ordinary members here.
I didn't broach the topic of EVR, it was brought in by others --in the past I have always ignored them, but this time I wanted to present his own words, in context, on the outrageous charges that are routinely made as though they are facts
While the member has the right to think that EVR’s words are all benign and not hurtful while the charges on this count to the contrary made by other members are all outrageous, the members have a right to think just the opposite. So we reject what is said here by the member as irrelevant.
My admiration for EVR is based on the stands he advocated on caste, women, superstitions, etc.
On the same stands we the members here have a different opinion. We think there was nothing admirable in them. We also think that whatever he advocated was pure hatred: that he deliberately chose a micro minority community to vent his skewed anger and frustration as he was scared of the repercussions if he had spoken the truth against the other majority communities of Hindus as well.
Many if not most here look at EVR only through Brahmin prism and/or theistic prism. I will never be able to move them. To them my posts must be discredited so that their view of balance is restored. But, my posts are themselves in response to a one-sided hyperbole bordering on slander. They are for bringing a small measure of the "other side" if you will.

We dismiss this as the expression of a prejudice: There is no Brahmin prism and we object to the term as derisive and mischievous. The member has a prejudice that Brahmins can never look at themselves critically, that they can never accept reasonable criticism, that any one who do not accept the member’s view has to be on the wrong side, that the counter criticism of EVR is all hyperbole however sensible they may be to a neutral viewer, that what is said against EVR can only be slanderous and that EVR has a “other side” which is all very reasonable, matured, humane, sweet and desirable.

EVR was an ardent congressman for a long time. During this period he campaigned incessantly for communal representation, a sort of "reservation" policy that would provide access to the corridors of power to the "Shudras" and "Panchamas" (yes he fought for ”Panchamas” also). But, for obvious reasons, the Brahmins in Congress, and a few upper caste NB supporters, blocked his effort every time.

There is no proof for this contention in recorded history. So we have to look at the situation with whatever internal evidences are available. The communal representation demand was mainly one for the benefit of dominant middle castes and had nothing to do with pancamans because they were no where near the secretariat or its clerical jobs as they were toiling in the villages in the agricultural fields of dominant middle castes. Tall statements expressing sympathy for pancamans were made no doubt. Ultimately the intentions matter and they are brought out only by the actions over a period of time. If written and spoken words are to be taken as the only proof of intentions every charlatan and demagogue can become the Prime Minister of this country. Pancamans even today do not think EVR did any thing for them. They knew him as the self-appointed chieftain of the middle dominant castes who had his private quarrels with the higher caste. Venkatesan, a dalit, who has written Marupakkam can not be so easily dismissed as the voice of Hindutva groups. More about the Hindutva later. Even today Ambedkar is venerated and respected in Tamilnadu villages and towns more than EVR. If the number of statues can indicate the popularity Ambedkar has more statues than EVR in TN today. EVR was piqued when a Brahmin won a party election fighting against him in Congress party polls. The pressure group within congress which he tried to develop was shown its place by the party and this added to his injured pride. The poster here admits that “and a few upper caste NB supporters” blocked his efforts. These were right thinking people who did not want to join the ginger group headed by EVR. On EVR’s concern for pancamans we need proof from the member for a careful evaluation.

Gandhi sided with the Brahmins. Finally, out of frustration EVR left Congress and joined the Justice Party. Whatever may be one's views on reservation, EVR fought for it for all NBs including "Panchamas". He played no small part in this fight and Dalits today enjoy the fruits of that fight he helped wage.

We will not discuss Gandhi here as it will be a digression. EVR left in frustration and that frustration came because he could not usurp leadership of congress party. Reservation as a social measure owes its origin and fructification to Ambedkar and the other members of the constituent Assembly of India who drafted the Indian Constitution (that this core group included many Brahmins is besides the point here). EVR claimed the credit and his supporters gave that credit to him. But that does not mean EVR had any constructive role in the reservation benefit for the people. If the member can provide proof for his contention that EVR got the reservation we can take a look at that.

EVR was a prolific writer and speaker. In his life time EVR gave over 10,000 speeches. If his speeches are run continuously 24/7 it will run for more than 2 years. His writings are in many volumes. He laced his writings and speeches with salty language, and over the top rhetoric. So, it is not difficult to find some quote or other that will appear nonsensical, contradictory and offensive, when taken in isolation and read out of context. It is not very difficult for people like M. Venkatesan with a Hindutva agenda to paint a picture about EVR that Brahmins can enjoy. I am not saying EVR was a perfect angel, what I am saying is, taken as a whole, his ideas are revolutionary even today, let alone during his life time. Needless to say people are free to see whatever they want to see.

He was a rich man and had wealth left behind by his parents. So he could afford to spend his time on writing (with the quality one can expect of a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] standard drop out) and hatred mongering in the name of politicking. I know a local thug who punctuates each word he speaks with the cuss word in tamil (o**a). He is about 35 years old. If you type all the cus words uttered by him in his conversations these 35 years and string them together, you can prepare a garland with which you can garland mother India three times around- the garland going through Himalayas to Kanyakumari and back to the Hindukush mountains on the west. Does it mean any thing to us? If a person’s written out put is to stand the test of time it should stand on its own strength and not on borrowed strength of his fans who have to defend it saying it was great though rhetorical, salty etc., If venkatesan says something the member will carefully research into the platform from which he speaks and then dub him, typecast him and brand him as a man with Hindutva agenda because that way it becomes easy for the member to live in his own make believe world. I would like to tell the member this. Don’t look at Venkatesan with your colored glass. If Hindutva gave him the platform and the security from which he could present the facts –which the Dravidian politicians would not have provided-why should you dismiss him contemptuously? I am a Leftist by conviction and I say Venkatesan speaks truth and nothing but truth. Now it is for the members here to decide whose words are more credible.

p.s. As I noted above, I am confident I am not going to move anybody. There will be several people vying to discredit what I am saying here. I have answered all their questions many times in the past. I am tired of repeating them again and again. So, please go ahead and say anything you want, please do not expect a point by point response.

The member may please cut all this rueful chest beating and foregone conclusions all escape hatches useful for escape from the heat of a developing argument and proceed briskly with the business in hand. We are all matured individuals here. We are not babies who will faint when pulled up.

Cheers.

EVR and ஆதிதிராவிடர்

"சுதேசமித்திரன் என்னும் பிராமணப் பத்திரிகை ஆதி திராவிடர்களுக்கு ஜஸ்டிஸ் கட்சியார் ஒன்றும் செய்யவில்லை என்றும், தங்கள் கூட்டத்தார் ஆதி திராவிடர்களுக்கு சுவர்க்க வாசலைத் திறந்து விடப் போகவதாகவும், இனியாவது தங்களை வந்து சரணமடையும்படி உபதேசிக்கிறது.

ஜஸ்டிஸ் கட்சியார் ஆதிதிராவிடர்களுக்கு நன்மை செய்தார்களோ இல்லையோ ... அது ஆதிதிராவிடர்களுக்கே தெரியும். ஆதிக்கத்தை அடைந்த சுயராஜ்ய கட்சியார் ஆதிதிராவிடர்களுக்கு என்ன நன்மை செய்தார்கள்? .... அல்லது ஆதிதிராவிடர்களுக்கு வகுப்புவாரி உரிமை வாங்கித் தர சம்மதிக்கிறர்களா? வகுப்புவாரிப் ப்ரதிநிதித்துவம் என்று சொன்னாலே, சொல்பவனை, ஜஸ்டிஸ் கட்சியில் சேர்ந்துவிட்டான், பாவி துரோகி என்று சொல்லுகிறார்கள்.

... பிராமணர்களல்லதவர்கள் எல்லோரும் ஏகமனதாய் ஆதிதிராவிடர்களுக்கு அவர்கள் எண்ணிக்கைக்குத் தகுந்த அளவுக்கு மேலாகக் கூட சட்டசபை, கார்ப்பரேஷன், உத்தியோகம், பதவி, ஆகிய எல்லாவற்றிலும் பிரதிநித்துவம் கொடுப்பதாய் தீர்மானித்தார்களே, அதைக் கெடுத்தவர் யார்? சுயராஜ்யக் கட்சியின் மாபெருந்தலைவருமான ஸ்ரீமான் சீனிவாசயங்காரும், காந்தி சிஷ்யரும் ஒப்பற்ற தலைவருமான ஸ்ரீமான் சி. ராஜகோபாலாச்சாரியாரும் கூடி சதியாலோசனை செய்து ஸ்ரீமான் கலியாணசுந்தர முதலியாரையும் கெடுத்து, இத்தீர்மானம் காங்கிரஸ் மகாநாட்டிற்கே கொண்டு வரக்கூடாது என்று தடுத்துவிட்டார்கள்.

.... ஜஸ்டிஸ் கட்சியாராவது ஆதிதிராவிடர்கள் கேட்கும் வகுப்பு வாரிப் ப்ரதிநிதித்துவம் சரியானதென்றும், அதற்காக தாங்கள் போராடியும், அதை தங்கள் கட்சியின் முக்கியக் கொள்கையாகவும் வைத்திருக்கிறர்கள். அவர்கள் கூச்சல் போட்டதன் பலனாய்த்தான் ஸ்ரீமான்கள் எம்.சி. ராஜா, வீரய்யன் முதலிய மணிகள் ஆதிதிராவிடர் வகுப்பில் இருக்கிறார்கள் என்றாவது பிறத்தியாருக்கு தெரியும்படியாக இருக்கிறது.

Folks,

"சுதேசமித்திரன் என்னும் பிராமணப் பத்திரிகை ஆதி திராவிடர்களுக்கு ஜஸ்டிஸ் கட்சியார் ஒன்றும் செய்யவில்லை என்றும், தங்கள் கூட்டத்தார் ஆதி திராவிடர்களுக்கு சுவர்க்க வாசலைத் திறந்து விடப் போகவதாகவும், இனியாவது தங்களை வந்து சரணமடையும்படி உபதேசிக்கிறது.

It is revealing and we understand how low the standard is when we see how this Gem of a Man is addressing the Nationally recognised news paper as Brahmana pathrikai. No wonder he called The Hindu as Mount Road Mahavishnu. This shows the character and values of the person. Now let us move forward without calling names.

ஜஸ்டிஸ் கட்சியார் ஆதிதிராவிடர்களுக்கு நன்மை செய்தார்களோ இல்லையோ ... அது ஆதிதிராவிடர்களுக்கே தெரியும். ஆதிக்கத்தை அடைந்த சுயராஜ்ய கட்சியார் ஆதிதிராவிடர்களுக்கு என்ன நன்மை செய்தார்கள்? .... அல்லது ஆதிதிராவிடர்களுக்கு வகுப்புவாரி உரிமை வாங்கித் தர சம்மதிக்கிறர்களா? வகுப்புவாரிப் ப்ரதிநிதித்துவம் என்று சொன்னாலே, சொல்பவனை, ஜஸ்டிஸ் கட்சியில் சேர்ந்துவிட்டான், பாவி துரோகி என்று சொல்லுகிறார்கள்.

What was the great service that was rendered by Justice Party to dalits? It has been skirted by saying that the dalits knew it - knowing fully well that dalits will never read that article because dalits had the maximum number of illiterates in those days what with the full time exploitation of them in the farms by the majority castes. The stress is on communal representation and the secret agenda is that the powerful middle castes who formed the bulk of population should get the power in their hand on a golden platter delivered by the British. If justice party representing the interests of land owners, zamindars, mittathars and mirasus had forgotten for a moment their self interest and had asked for dalit reservation alone Justice Party would have been accepted by the masses as the party of the people. But that did not happen. This is like the old tamil saying "Nee aval konduvaa naan umi kondu varen oothi oothi rendu perum saappidalaam". (You bring the poha I will bring the husk let us put them together and after blowing away the husk we can share the poha and eat)

பிராமணர்களல்லதவர்கள் எல்லோரும் ஏகமனதாய் ஆதிதிராவிடர்களுக்கு அவர்கள் எண்ணிக்கைக்குத் தகுந்த அளவுக்கு மேலாகக் கூட சட்டசபை, கார்ப்பரேஷன், உத்தியோகம், பதவி, ஆகிய எல்லாவற்றிலும் பிரதிநித்துவம் கொடுப்பதாய் தீர்மானித்தார்களே, அதைக் கெடுத்தவர் யார்? சுயராஜ்யக் கட்சியின் மாபெருந்தலைவருமான ஸ்ரீமான் சீனிவாசயங்காரும், காந்தி சிஷ்யரும் ஒப்பற்ற தலைவருமான ஸ்ரீமான் சி. ராஜகோபாலாச்சாரியாரும் கூடி சதியாலோசனை செய்து ஸ்ரீமான் கலியாணசுந்தர முதலியாரையும் கெடுத்து, இத்தீர்மானம் காங்கிரஸ் மகாநாட்டிற்கே கொண்டு வரக்கூடாது என்று தடுத்துவிட்டார்கள்.

Again "Ennikkaikku thakuntha alavu" is the point stressed. We clearly understand who would stand to benefit. The caste affinity of the middle castes even at this point refuses to recognize the independence and intellect of Kalyana Sundaram and tries to cover up his action by inventing a conspiracy on the part of brahmins. The bottom line is no middle caste individual can ever commit the mistake of joining the brahmins in any thing. Now we understand how piqued EVR was by the petty politics and mutual leg pulling that was going on in Congress.

ஜஸ்டிஸ் கட்சியாராவது ஆதிதிராவிடர்கள் கேட்கும் வகுப்பு வாரிப் ப்ரதிநிதித்துவம் சரியானதென்றும், அதற்காக தாங்கள் போராடியும், அதை தங்கள் கட்சியின் முக்கியக் கொள்கையாகவும் வைத்திருக்கிறர்கள். அவர்கள் கூச்சல் போட்டதன் பலனாய்த்தான் ஸ்ரீமான்கள் எம்.சி. ராஜா, வீரய்யன் முதலிய மணிகள் ஆதிதிராவிடர் வகுப்பில் இருக்கிறார்கள் என்றாவது பிறத்தியாருக்கு தெரியும்படியாக இருக்கிறது.

What happened to this M.C.Raja and Veeraiyan? Were they accommodated in the Justice Party inner council? Or did they become shining lights of the DK in the subsequent years? What was the post given to them in the DK? If we find answers to these questions we will find what a dirty picture hangs there by them.

Cheers.

Raju,
I was advised not to post praising other posters, I do not know why I was given this unique treatment, but your last two post are gems. And the likes given show that lot of other people think so.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back