• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What makes one a Tamil Brahmin these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello TKS:

"I have minimized consumption of regular milk and moved to use Soy Milk when possible"

Nutritionists say that PURE Vegetarian diet (as consumed by Vegans in the US) is NOT a balanced diet.. Vegans must take Supplements (most of which are derived from animals source) to have a normal health... what say you?

I know two girls TBs, originally from Chennai, became Vegans in the US... after 3 years, they complain all sorts of health problems like low energy, constant headache, apathy on anything etc.

Their doctors say they must quit Veganism first, before getting any further treatment!

Cheers.

Y

Hello TKS:

"I have minimized consumption of regular milk and moved to use Soy Milk when possible"

Nutritionists say that PURE Vegetarian diet (as consumed by Vegans in the US) is NOT a balanced diet.. Vegans must take Supplements (most of which are derived from animals source) to have a normal health... what say you?

I know two girls TBs, originally from Chennai, became Vegans in the US... after 3 years, they complain all sorts of health problems like low energy, constant headache, apathy on anything etc.

Their doctors say they must quit Veganism first, before getting any further treatment!

Cheers.

Y

Yamaka ji -

I can only give you my opinions based on pesonal experience and experience of others that I know.

I have known many students and immigrants that have come to USA and have had nutritional problems regardless of their diet including those that eat meat. My guess is that there are many factors at play when one has health issues.

I do not really have much faith in the nutritionists. The food pyramid concept that was taught to students in middle schools for many decades got inverted recently resulting in teaching other focus areas for balance! So the science of nutirion is evolving..

All these daily allowances based on 2000 calorie diet etc is all derived by food lobby's influence and negotiations. Much of the food in USA looks wholesome but are really good for looks only for most part. They are soaked in perticides, processed prematurely, genetically modified and artificially fortified with garbage in my view.

If one is a Vegan or vegetarian they have to make sure they are eating wholesome food. A good Tamil Brahmin diet is not a bad one for maintaining decent health in my experience.

In the end I know nature is very intelligent. Horses, Camels, Elephants are vegan and have strong bones. They are strong animals too without eating meat.

I also know a 25 year old who was born here to a Tamil brahmin family. This kid is at US Airforce and has successfully passed all the grueling requirements despite being a vegan for most part (with occasional use of milk products).

When someone gets sick or not well there may be multiple reasons and nutritionists who are raised in a flesh eating culture may naturally assume the deficiency is due to the vegan diet and perhaps miss other factors altogether.

Regards,
TKS

Last edited:
happy,

here is my take on your query to KRS re 'brahmin' identity. very briefly.

as far as i can understand, to him, it is an identity - like a chettiar or pillai. that this idenityt comes with a heritage of its own, he accepts willingly, and will not question whether there were rights or wrongs intrinsically embedded in it.

to whom, the word or lineage of brahmin is fraught with a heavily embedded meaning - not only it is a lineage (at which i beleive that KRS stgos) but also a term of influence and one who could not only sway the community values, but also called the shots on society's attitudes towards its various groups. all from a sense of entitlement, which may or may not be deserved.

fondly yours truly :)
Thankyou for the note Kunjuppu Ji.

Am aware that KRS ji is a wonderful person at heart, a liberal minded and loving person who does not believe in discrimination of any sort, be it caste or diet or just anything else.

It is unfortunate that in this thread we somehow seem to be seeing the opposite sides of the same coin.

I feel Shri KRS ji and i understand each other instinctively and am sure he knows i have nothing against him personally.

Whatever i have written in this thread is not a mere allegation. I have spent hours pouring over books, the internet, dug out even 'exotic' sources, and have tried to understand the socio-cultural ethos of the southindian landscape from various angles.

My posts were written addressed to a particular person (like KRS ji or TKS), but the content was not meant to be taken personally since the questions are generic and apply to everyone. This being a tamilbrahmin forum i have brought questions pertaining to this specific group.

I have done similar questioning with close relatives of various "castes', the end result being that all of them (including my parents) now take utmost care to avoid certain topics with me completely (to safeguard their own egos i feel).

As regards your query that the terms chettiar or pillai comes with its own heritage, i feel it is a non-sequitur. Both chettiar and pillai are titles, and do not signify 'caste' or 'varna'. It may hurt their egos to know the tribes from which they come. A Chettiar or a Pillai may (falsely) make claims of belonging to a particular 'varna' (that is, vaishya varna); but such a claim would be as false as priests of certain origins claiming to be 'brahmins'.

I do not wish to get into confrontations, i would rather put content on a public blog so that everyone can read up on various tribes and "castes" of southern india. Let each one who wants to take pride in being a "chettiar" or "pillai" or whatever title, read the blog and come to their own conclusions.

So far in this thread i feel some posters have done only mud-slinging by claiming i have been disrespectful to them, etc. It is apparent that those are just excuses to avoid the actual questions.

Having said this i would like to apologise to KRS ji for hurting him because it is apparent that he feels hurt. Sir, i did not mean to hurt you. Am sorry.

Regards.

Last edited:
If my kids claim to be TBs, then they are TBs, I don't have any qualms about it.
Sir, with due respect (lest you too accuse me of being disrespectful to you), i wish to say this. If you are a southindian (or a northindian also for that matter), then certain varna names such as "kshatriya" and "vaishya" will not apply to you. In such case you wud be a shudra or a mleccha (if you are a foreigner). According to the dharmashastras, children born to brahmin mothers from shudra fathers are Chandalas. Such children cannot claim to be brahmins.

Even in the colonial period (just 60+ years back) brahmins went to courts, and decided varnas of 'groups' on the basis of these very shastras. No one has the right to twist the shastras in any manner as per their own desires.

Regards.

Last edited:
"If one is a Vegan or vegetarian they have to make sure they are eating wholesome food. A good Tamil Brahmin diet is not a bad one for maintaining decent health in my experience."

Dear TKS:

By "wholesome" do you mean NO animal source at all (no milk from animal source)?

My observation is the current TB Vegetarian diet in TN is fully supplemented with excess cow's milk - the Vegans in the US take ONLY vegetables, no milk, no other supplements, period.

Horses, Camels and Elephants CAN biosynthesize ALL the amino acids needed for their protein structure - they are born as herbivores.

However, humans are created with a deficiency de novo: they can NOT synthesize FIVE essential amino acids in their body using only plant food.. they must come from some animal source via milk, egg or whatever.

If all the 20 different amino acids are not available, cells try to make substitutions wherever possible - many times this substituted proteins (structural proteins like myosine actin, etc) or catalytic proteins like enzymes will not perform at the top efficiency... this slowly will lead to malnutrition, IMO.

Your 25 year old person is indeed taking "occasional use of milk products".

I fully agree that the "Vegetarian meal" of TB in TN is fully wholesome because it has plenty of cow's milk (perhaps, TBs take too much of whole milk and ghee, IMO). Hardly any TB omits cow's milk in his/her diet.

Just my two-cents on this!

Cheers.

Regards

Y

Last edited:
"No one has the right to twist the shastras in any manner as per their own desires."

Who says this? Who is the "police"? Who will validate YOUR view?

Maybe for a Religious Supramacist or a Religious Fundamentalist (I don't know whether you are one) what you say may have some resonance, not for others...IMO.

Dear Sister,
My response is in blue.
Dear Sir, i really do not understand this. I have never considered you a casteist. Also seriously and sincerely i do not know how can a word 'brahmin" be associated with culture? Sir, lets say you were to describe your culture to an ethnographer, how would you describe it? Please all i request is for everyone to be factually correct.
I think I am being factual, when I say that I am a Tamil Brahmin. Please google 'Tamil Brahmin' and you will see that it is a culture based on information, from Wiki to Brittanica.

From the attire, diet, celebrating some unique festivals, coming of age ceremonies, upanayanams, weddings, birth and death ceremonies, etc. etc., this culture is unique as any other culture in Tamil Nadu, like Chettiars, Mudaliars, so called Dalits, etc. Please tell me that this is not true, because this has been the crux of my posting, when I am talking about a ;Brahmin' culture today.

My question to you is this: Do you deny this? Do you think that I was not born in to this culture (or sub culture if you prefer)?

Again sir, this baffles me. All i can request you is to not to take it personally. It is impossible for me to assign any atrocities to you or to your forefathers. Simply because there is no single individual who can claim to have descended intact specifically from any one person or group alone.

It also baffles me how can a present-day 'dalit' associate himself with Shambhuka or how can a self-appointed 'kshatriya' associate himelf with Rama. Similarly it baffles me how can anyone claim to have descended intact either from the war-mongering 'brahmins' of dharmashatras, or from anthanar philosophers or from anywhere at all.

I have no idea what tribes are associated with your gene markers. Even if i knew all i cud possibly tell you is something on the myriad, wide-ranging and interesting cultures that probably or hypothetically might be associated with your ancestry. So as you can see sir, in every case (that is, from the cultural, social and genetic pov), it is impossible for me or anyone to hold you or any individual as a direct descendent of the 'brahmins' of the dharmashastras. Much less, hold you or anyone responsible for any "atrocities against shudras".

Sir please i think you are getting me wrong. There is one reason why i do not speak to some people about caste anymore. Because they are emotional people. I too am emotional. But mostly until now i have been able to get rid of it and be factual. If you are emotional about this, please i suggest that we drop this conversation for now, give ourselves a cool-off period and resume it later.
Dear sister, I am not at all emotional about my caste or anything else. FYI, I was married to an American Jew. Both my sons are not married to Tam Brahm girls. I do not evaluate folks on their ethicity and religion. But thye funny thing is, I approach all this from a vantage pov os a tamil Brahmin. As Professor Nara Ji has said, somehow I have worked out all these contradicting elements in to something that works for me. I suspect, the basis is my prime allegiance to humanity and humanism as the first principle.

Sir please why are you apologising, for what. You yourself have said your parents and grandparents were not casteists, neither are you. Then why are you aplogising on the behalf of some ancestors (both imagined and known) who were not your ancestors alone?
It is because I am interacting with you, who is not a 'Jathi Brahmin'. I do not want to offend your sensibilities. I know too well what some of my Fore Fathers have done.

It is impossible for me or any individual to strip anyone of their culture.

No one knows who anyone's ancient ancestors were. All of us have descended from men who were fishermen and hunters in the megalithic period. Early cultures must have been centered around water bodies, totemic fish, etc. All am saying is one cannot say for sure "who's ancestor(s) professed what occupation(s)".
I agree with you. My definition of my culture does not extend beyond my great grand parents. This is where I think citing Professor Nara Ji's comments on America as a 'melting pot' is appropriate.

In America, yes, over time the country makes you to identify as an American first. But this does not mean that all different ethnic identities are discarded. In fact, such diversities as Jewish Americans, Italian Americans, Mexican Americans etc. are celebrated.

why can we not allow for the same secular differences in India?

As regards priests, they do go into an alter state of mind during certain rituals; and experience the timelessness of brahman (some of us may do so when we meditate perhaps). Therefore the priests are brahmins. But a priest is a brahmin in his individual capacity. How can any culture be labelled as 'brahmin'?
I think I have already answered this above.

Sir, please i can only speak based on what i have come across. It wud do me good to know if i have missed some point, or if i have missed reading something crucial.

Sir, Satyakama is just one odd example (and notably so because he was asked his gotra before being considered for admission. To me it is anomalous that this story is in chandogya upanishad).
You may be right. But let us analyze this rationally. Do you think thazt a whole society, initially would have accepted this Varna division, if it was birth based? Sathyakama is but one example. I think, by logic, the Varna system evolved in to a birth based system. It has to be.

Please, i do not think there was ever a system where one was recruited into the chaturvarana system based on temperment. Whatever is called the chaturvarna is only from the dharmashastras; with support from Jaimini's Purvamimansa.
Again, can you tell me when this came about? You think that a minority of 9% convincing the majority that their off springs as well as others off springs are indeed have a right to their fathers' professions? This just a fantastic development at a single point in a society.

Added note: If there was chaturvarna system based on temperment (and not by birth), please i request you to elaborate on it (without ascribing motives to me please). When did it exist?As I have said above, in addition to the stories of our Rishis, who were not Brahmins, and Sathyakama and the like, and based on the logic I have said above, yes, I have no other evidence. By the same token, may I ask you for your proof that the system started with a birth based edict?

Sir, please again you are repeating this without specifying how can a culture be brahmin. So please first explain what is a "brahmin" culture? Already explained above.

Sir, why should i "insist"? It is true that chaturvarna is from the dharmashastras. Am i claiming something that is false (or something on my own); and insisting on it?

Yet Again sir, please can you explain how there is a culture called "brahmin" culture ?
Already explained.

Goodness. Alright sir if you think i have some animosity it is difficult for me to reason out. So i leave you to your assumptions. All i can say is no sane person wud label any community as oppressors, or evil. Okay, I take you for your words.

When it comes to the word "brahmin", it has a specific meaning. It is not some cufflink which anyone and everyone can wear. Lets say i am the son of a kalamukha acharya, how can i claim to belong to the "brahmin" culture? I can claim to belong to the culture of kalamukhas. But how can i claim to be a brahmin myself when i do not even practice that culture? Dear sister, simple. You are viewing the current day Brahmins with yesteryears' definition. There are very few Brahmins, if any left at all, who would fit this description of yours. It is a cuff link today. If you have not understood this, sorry, you are living in an imaginary world.

Perhaps later you can explain to me how a "smartha" becomes a "brahmin culture"? So far as i understand, the komati, nagarathar, balija, gavara, are not claiming to belong to any "vaishya culture". Some may claim to be "vaishya" varna.. But none of them claim that their culture is called "vaishya culture".
I am not inventing anything new here. The description comes directly fro my parents and grand parents.

Please can you explain what is "brahmin culture", "kshatriya culture", "vaishya culture" and "shudra culture"? I have no idea about other cultures other than that of a 'brahmin' culture, because,that was what I was told growing up.

Sir i have not labelled the orthodox as oppressors, nor have i ever-ever labelled any whole community as oppressors.
Okay.

I disagree. If we take a look at the tribal structures of the past, men were not fixed into some rigid box slots based on occupations. Nor do we find folks being punished for trying to learn something in tribal societies. Early man did have the conce of equality for men and personal freedom.Okay. But did these tribal societies all over the world understood the concepts of equality, humanism and personal freedoms?/COLOR]

Tribal janapadas sought to conquer each other and arrest the opponents' freedom by conquering them and subjugating them. The fact that they sought to defend themselves, and fend off subjugation, itself means people had the concept of personal freedom which they did not want to loose.
Come on sister! You seriously equate this to thye modern concept of freedom?

Caste system is defined by the Smrithis. The dharmashastras fixed punishments for shudras / dasas who tried to learn vedas, accumulate money, or basically have a life. It was certainly an oppressive system by the mores of any past or present day standards. Justifying such a system (while dubbing equality of men as "today's" concepts) is like justifying slavery of the past.
No, I am not justifying anything. But what I am saying is that slavery etc. came about because of the mores of the past. Justice should be based on today. Not on the past. yes, we need to help those whe have been discriminated in the past. No issues. But please, do not punish a community in the present who have nothing to do with the past. Is this too much to ask?

I completely disagree. To me this is just a sheer allegation. Please let me know where have i said that the "whole community" of brahmins are responsible for a conduct looked down upon by the mores of the past or present or by any standard. Which are the views i am espousing from the book 'why i am not a hindu'?
Dear Sister,
Please go over your past postings in this thread itself to understand what I am saying. If you can not, I can quote you from the past.

Now possibly i can claim to be "Parahamansa" and tell everyone that it is a "respectable thing" for them to accept me as such. Please sir, i think it is pretty much evident that every word has a specific meaning. Everyone cannot name themselves anyways as they please. I have never ever said that the word "brahmin" should be eliminated. If falsified claims have lead to corruption in the religion and contributed to casteism, then yes i think being factual will help lessen casteism. Dear Sister, again, you are mixing up things. You are again saying that if I call myself a 'Brahmin' then I am a casteist. That is the implication of what you have just said.

Nowhere have i ever used the term "evil brahmins". I thot i already mentioned that the actions of 'uppercastes' (NBs) are wrong and about the bania-kshatriya-brahman nexus, and have time and again put down those (NBs) who practice casteism in various posts.

I have never said that the word "brahmins" must be eliminated. Nor have i twindled with terms. On the contrary, i think i am adressing "obfuscation" created by people.

If vedic education is allowed for all, no one will dare meddle with one another on the basis of "caste". The current situation of modernity and present day law will further ensure no one can enforce (or lord) themselves upon another.
I agree.

Regards.

"If one is a Vegan or vegetarian they have to make sure they are eating wholesome food. A good Tamil Brahmin diet is not a bad one for maintaining decent health in my experience."

Dear TKS:

By "wholesome" do you mean NO animal source at all (no milk from animal source)?

My observation is the current TB Vegetarian diet in TN is fully supplemented with excess cow's milk - the Vegans in the US take ONLY vegetables, no milk, no other supplements, period.

Horses, Camels and Elephants CAN biosynthesize ALL the amino acids needed for their protein structure - they are born as herbivores.

However, humans are created with a deficiency de novo: they can NOT synthesize FIVE essential amino acids in their body using only plant food.. they must come from some animal source via milk, egg or whatever.

If all the 20 different amino acids are not available, cells try to make substitutions wherever possible - many times this substituted proteins (structural proteins like myosine actin, etc) or catalytic proteins like enzymes will not perform at the top efficiency... this slowly will lead to malnutrition, IMO.

Your 25 year old person is indeed taking "occasional use of milk products".

I fully agree that the "Vegetarian meal" of TB in TN is fully wholesome because it has plenty of cow's milk (perhaps, TBs take too much of whole milk and ghee, IMO). Hardly any TB omits cow's milk in his/her diet.

Just my two-cents on this!

Cheers.

Regards

Y

Yamaka -ji

I am personally not an advocate of strict veganism. I take milk products now and then. I am not dogmatic. I just minimized my consumption of milk - not eliminated - since the way milk is generated where I live is awful.

I am not well versed about our bodies and I will take your assertions as the current understanding regarding amino acids and their role.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge
TKS

"No one has the right to twist the shastras in any manner as per their own desires."

Who says this? Who is the "police"? Who will validate YOUR view?

Maybe for a Religious Supramacist or a Religious Fundamentalist (I don't know whether you are one) what you say may have some resonance, not for others...IMO.
Shri Yamaka,

I am not expecting anyone to validate "MY" views. What am saying are not "MY" views.

It is true that nobody can twist the dharmashastras as per their own wishes.

Also sir, I am a simple individual. Not a member of a mutt who can influence the constitution, or the social outcomes of the country. The only way i can tackle the scourage and menace of casteism is to put forth all the information i have found from the social and historical povs. That's all. In effect, i am calling the bluff of the orthodoxy and their nonsensical dharmashastras in my own way.

Regards.

Last edited:
happyhindu:

To tell you the truth, many of my B and TB friends believe that "The Dharmashastras" are someone's pov written long long time ago...Therefore, THEY believe one need not take these as the "Words of God". Perhaps, these people are Religious Pragmatists! lol

Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in these matters...as I said, my kids are brought up in a Secular atmosphere... IF and when they decide to take a Religious / Cultural Route, they will decide what to believe and what not to believe!

Or they may be like their dad, which is fine with me!lol

Thanks.

Regards

Y

Last edited:
Dear Sir,

First i thank you for the reply and i sincerely hope you have no animosity towards me.

I think I am being factual, when I say that I am a Tamil Brahmin. Please google 'Tamil Brahmin' and you will see that it is a culture based on information, from Wiki to Brittanica.

From the attire, diet, celebrating some unique festivals, coming of age ceremonies, upanayanams, weddings, birth and death ceremonies, etc. etc., this culture is unique as any other culture in Tamil Nadu, like Chettiars, Mudaliars, so called Dalits, etc. Please tell me that this is not true, because this has been the crux of my posting, when I am talking about a ;Brahmin' culture today.
Everyone would agree with you that culture means wearing clothing of a certain kind, performing certain samskaras or rituals, and oberving certain practices. These may vary widely from place to place, group to group. Please may i ask how did these practices come to be labelled brahmin-culture? Or rather a culture followed by 'brahmins'?

Also sir, all these pertains to a culture in terms of external symbols and practices. Anyone can adopt these symbols and practices or give them up. Simply by wearing a panchagaccham, poonul, doing gayatri japam or performing some ceremonies, does a man qualify to be a brahmin? If so, then the whole of india can do this and claim to be brahmins. Is it not?

Next we come the main question. What if a man is not doing such pujas? Can he claim to be a 'brahmin' ?

My question to you is this: Do you deny this? Do you think that I was not born in to this culture (or sub culture if you prefer)?
Please sir i have no authority to deny or accept anything. I am merely going by the shastras and comparing it against what history says.

Dear sister, I am not at all emotional about my caste or anything else. FYI, I was married to an American Jew. Both my sons are not married to Tam Brahm girls. I do not evaluate folks on their ethicity and religion. But thye funny thing is, I approach all this from a vantage pov os a tamil Brahmin. As Professor Nara Ji has said, somehow I have worked out all these contradicting elements in to something that works for me. I suspect, the basis is my prime allegiance to humanity and humanism as the first principle.
I think Shri Nara summed things up perfectly in his post # 147.

It is because I am interacting with you, who is not a 'Jathi Brahmin'. I do not want to offend your sensibilities. I know too well what some of my Fore Fathers have done.
Sir, by using the term jathi-brahmin are you saying there is some term called 'jathi-brahmin" which is different from a "varna-brahmin" ? Also sir, i seriously do not understand why you would apologise on the behalf of your forefathers (of the 'dharmashastras' i persume). Please am unable to accept an apology for some long lost ancestors from which neither yourself nor myself can claim direct descent; or perhaps we have no connection with them at all.

You must be aware that Devendrakula Vellars have constructed their geneology such that they claim to be descendents of Indra and devas. Perhaps they should apologise to all present-day brahmins because it would mean that their (imagined) forefathers such as Indra killed brahmins like Vritra. Quite apparently it makes no sense. Because the claims of the Devendrakula Vellalars are baseless.

I agree with you. My definition of my culture does not extend beyond my great grand parents. This is where I think citing Professor Nara Ji's comments on America as a 'melting pot' is appropriate.

In America, yes, over time the country makes you to identify as an American first. But this does not mean that all different ethnic identities are discarded. In fact, such diversities as Jewish Americans, Italian Americans, Mexican Americans etc. are celebrated.

why can we not allow for the same secular differences in India?
Definitely sir, people will have differences based on several issues. But why should differences based on "caste" remain?

You may be right. But let us analyze this rationally. Do you think thazt a whole society, initially would have accepted this Varna division, if it was birth based? Sathyakama is but one example. I think, by logic, the Varna system evolved in to a birth based system. It has to be.
Unfortunately sir, no one needed to 'accept' varna divisions because it was 'imposed' upon people.

Again, can you tell me when this came about? You think that a minority of 9% convincing the majority that their off springs as well as others off springs are indeed have a right to their fathers' professions? This just a fantastic development at a single point in a society.
The percent of brahmins in india is 9% now. Please do not compare this with the past.

History says there were several kshatropeta dvijitayahs (priyatosh banerjee in his book "Early Indian Religions" calls the kshatropeta-dvijas as kshatriya-brahmana people or kshatriyas claiming to be brahmins). There were several armies claiming to be "brahmins" such as gargas, bharadvajas, vishnuvriddhas, kapis, priyamedhas, kanvas, haritas, shaunakas, etc. These were armies who waged wars. There is no indication to show that their battalions were small. So i do not know how anyone can claim that the population of brahmins was always small, based on the population of present-day brahmins being 9%.

Going back in time, there is no word called 'kshatriya' in the rigveda except in the purushasukta which is considered a late-interpolation into the rigveda. Quite apparently the word 'kshatriya' was introduced into the Rigveda through the Purushasukta at a later date. Historians says there was no varna divisions in the vedic period (the 'vedic' people were still fighting against their enemies and had not yet conquered them).

We come across social classifications in the mahabharat where Indra (not Krishna) classed mlecchas, dasyus, etc. I feel no one can say for sure if mahabharata was the continuation of fights from the vedic period (some say Indra classing people in the Mahabharat was a late-interpolation as well).

But here comes the crux. Whatever we know as a proper varna-system with social division of 4 varnas is only from the dharmashastras. A proper system that imposed varna divisions based on occupations. It is futile to claim that varna and jati are two different things. Occupation defined varna and that was fixed as a birth-based Jati.

Now i feel no one can say for sure when each dharmashastra was written. In this i feel Shri Sangom can help you.

But one thing is clear, Manusmrithi was either written or interloped to favor brahmins in the time of Pushyamitra Sunga (So Manusmrithi belonged to Sunga dynasty). Sangom sir has already posted on this in detail.

For the rest of the dharmashastras, am lost wrt to the time-periods (apasthamba, boudhayana are considered 'early' smrithis though). So, Sangom sir, please clarify on this part. When were each of those very many smrithis written?

Added note: If there was chaturvarna system based on temperment (and not by birth), please i request you to elaborate on it (without ascribing motives to me please). When did it exist?As I have said above, in addition to the stories of our Rishis, who were not Brahmins, and Sathyakama and the like, and based on the logic I have said above, yes, I have no other evidence. By the same token, may I ask you for your proof that the system started with a birth based edict?
Shri KRS ji, we really do not know if all rishis of the vedic-period were 'brahmins'. We do not know the reasons why Indra was killing some rishis. Also explained above that 4-varna division came about in the Dharmashastras only. And the birth-based edicts of manusmrithi (or other dharmashastras) was most certainly imposed on people. I do not think anyone will become a slave willingly.

As for the vedic period, some claim Vishwamitra was already a dvija (that is 'kshatriya). If so, then there was no need for him to fight with Vashista to be accepted as a brahmin, because he wud have been performing the necessary rituals required for a dvija. It is quite obvious that during that time there were no specific rituals that defined one as a brahmana. Vishwamitra did tapas to be considered a brahmana, and did not do rituals from morning to night. Also claiming that vishwamitra was a 'kshatriya' appears to be false (i wud like to be corrected on this if wrong).

Dear sister, simple. You are viewing the current day Brahmins with yesteryears' definition. There are very few Brahmins, if any left at all, who would fit this description of yours. It is a cuff link today. If you have not understood this, sorry, you are living in an imaginary world.
:) Sir i have most certainly understood that it is a cuff link today (or a 'brand name' if i were to go by RVR's arguments). Followers of Jaimini's purvamimansa claim that by doing some rituals, they become brahmins. But this is exactly what am questioning. If a man is not performing those rituals can he claim to be a brahmin? If yes, then it is obvious he wants to wear cuff links only for his ego and to make claims of a falsified social position for himself. In such case i might as well respect a man wearing nike shoes. Atleast it signifies the man has the ability to earn that money and provide such shoes for himself.

I am not inventing anything new here. The description comes directly fro my parents and grand parents.
Sir, am not saying you are inventing anything new here. I do not know on what basis your grandparents told you that there is something called 'brahmin culture or 'vaishya culture'. However, i leave it at this.

I have no idea about other cultures other than that of a 'brahmin' culture, because,that was what I was told growing up.
Quite apparently sir, if there is a brahmin-culture it cannot exist without an opposite counterpart as 'shudra-culture'. This merely means that along the way some people have corrupted the system so as to claim that certain practices are 'brahmin'. If so, then we must say that non-vegetarianism is brahmin culture or a brahmin practice since brahmanas in the vedic period were sacrificing and consuming meat.

Come on sister! You seriously equate this to thye modern concept of freedom?
Yes i do. Is it not correct?

No, I am not justifying anything. But what I am saying is that slavery etc. came about because of the mores of the past.
Sir there is a difference between something coming about on its own and something being imposed on people.

Justice should be based on today. Not on the past. yes, we need to help those whe have been discriminated in the past. No issues.
I wholeheartedly agree.

But please, do not punish a community in the present who have nothing to do with the past. Is this too much to ask?
In what way is any community being punished today?

I completely disagree. To me this is just a sheer allegation. Please let me know where have i said that the "whole community" of brahmins are responsible for a conduct looked down upon by the mores of the past or present or by any standard. Which are the views i am espousing from the book 'why i am not a hindu'?
Dear Sister,
Please go over your past postings in this thread itself to understand what I am saying. If you can not, I can quote you from the past.
Sir, am aware i have made some statements in response to RVR's posts. However, i do request you to quote them. It will give me an opportunity to clarify what i meant. At the same time, please let me know which views i am espousing from the book 'why i am not a hindu'?

Now possibly i can claim to be "Parahamansa" and tell everyone that it is a "respectable thing" for them to accept me as such. Please sir, i think it is pretty much evident that every word has a specific meaning. Everyone cannot name themselves anyways as they please. I have never ever said that the word "brahmin" should be eliminated. If falsified claims have lead to corruption in the religion and contributed to casteism, then yes i think being factual will help lessen casteism. Dear Sister, again, you are mixing up things. You are again saying that if I call myself a 'Brahmin' then I am a casteist. That is the implication of what you have just said.
1) Sir, which part of this comes across to you as equating the word 'brahmin' to a 'casteist'?

2) As regards the claim, if each one can claim anything as they please, then surely i can claim to be a Paramahansa. But people will only laugh at me. Which i why i said everyone cannot claim things as per their wishes.

Regards.

Last edited:
happyhindu:

To tell you the truth, many of my B and TB friends believe that "The Dharmashastras" are someone's pov written long long time ago...Therefore, THEY believe one need not take these as the "Words of God". Perhaps, these people are Religious Pragmatists! lol

Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in these matters...as I said, my kids are brought up in a Secular atmosphere... IF and when they decide to take a Religious / Cultural Route, they will decide what to believe and what not to believe!

Or they may be like their dad, which is fine with me!lol

Thanks.

Regards

Y
Shri Yamaka,

I do not think it is a LOL matter. It decided the outcome of modern india.

Also sir, the dharmashastras were the consititution of the yesteryears. It was the law and the judiciary. Each kingdom had constituted laws. Even the present-day indian judiciary has laws based on the dharmashatras. So its not so simple as writing it off as someone's pov.

Regards.

Last edited:
There is nothing much that can convince anyone here. It my experience with people around me. From birth people are being told they are brahmins. They believe so that brahmin is a culture . Just like Vaidya, brahmin is a position for a job. It was so , it may have been hereditary job, but today people want to have the hereditary title without the job. Until the advent of secular education a brahmin was essentially a man of religion, rituals and spiritual pursuit. The path of brahmin took different routes over the times. But the meaning was roughly known to one and all. It is the finer details which were disagreed upon.

Brahmin is a much hated and revered word. It is a difficult bargain to be a brahmin. You will always be hated or revered for holding to this name. Many here have nothing to do with either things. They have done nothing in the name of shastras to be hated. They have done nothing to earn special respectability either.

We all know this to be true. It is plain hypocracy that inspite of all this we want to hold to this name. As Nara put it , its all about Nostalgia. Its also about some kind of family pride somewhere in the dark corners of our minds. Its also fear that by renouncing that title we give up connection to our forefathers.

Why all this fear when we are giving up traditions one by one. Anyone can wear a thread, do a tharpanam or shraddham. That is not a brahmin unless you invent a brand new definition. Neither do we really believe in the efficacy of many rituals.

Claiming that anybody who is good is a brahmin, therefore we can also be brahmins . The stupidity of such claims has been laid bare by Nara. I have seen many good non brahmins, many better than us here, who would hesitate to take up this title. Its either a reverence or a disgust. Asking them to call themselves as a brahmin, without giving a convincing explanation about ourselves, is a stupid excuse to justify our pride in our own selves.

Our history , our traditional books , stories may be stupid. But there is a commonly accepted meaning to what a brahmin is. So there is no need to argue with Happy Hindu who seems to have studied them fairly well.

The irony is, this forum is least likely to have many members who work as brahmins - brahmin is a job. They still will be required to answer for narrowmindedness and what we think is stupid and answer for superstition. They still will have to answer for exclusive rights and for their sincerity , hardwork or merit.

We can only hope for a new generation to give up such silly emotional feelings for a title. Hope they atleast look at an issue with straight facts at hand.

Happy Hindu's questions are unanswered by people here- that is my view. Thats my judgment.

Last edited by a moderator:
The irony is, this forum is least likely to have many members who work as brahmins - brahmin is a job. They still will be required to answer for narrowmindedness and what we think is stupid and answer for superstition. They still will have to answer for exclusive rights and for their sincerity , hardwork or merit.
No one who is hardworking or sincere needs to answer anything.

Please note this in case the rest of your post refers to brahmin-priests of temples, they do NOT have to answer anything. Manusmrithi does not call temple priests as brahmins. Please note this from this post :

Manu.3.152. Physicians, temple-priests ( देवलकान) , sellers of meat, and those who subsist by shop-keeping must be avoided at sacrifices offered to the gods and to the manes.

[My note: one thing is clear from this -- temple-priests were not responsible for creation of smrithis / social-segregation / caste-system].

Last edited:
Dear Smt HH,

The more the discussion on "brahmin" "brahaman" "what makes one a real tamil brahman", etc., the more the current generation of youth will get disgusted with the topic itse;f and strive. in their own very limited ways, to build a "casteless" society. These discussions are therefore serving a good purpose, IMO.

Let us not try to discuss what happened 2 millennia ago in today's terms and conditions; it was then possible for a handful of brahmans to twist and turn the entire society to suit their purposes; we may not even be able to dream of the conditions which obtained then. And this is the signal flaw in some of the arguments I find here. When one Shambuka was slain, it was not one individual human being killed, just as one Ravana killed was not tantamount to one enemy of the Aryan Rama, the Ikshvaku king, being eliminated.

Only if the discussions take into account these differences and nuances, can a fuller picture emerge. Till then these discussions will be அரைத்த மாவையே திரும்பவும் அரைக்கிறது.

If those who do not want to associate any identity to the term brahmin, why don't they just ignore those who do? If they really believe that the term brahmin is empty what are they really fighting against? I suspect these people believe that the term brahmin affords an air of superiority and this is what they are fighting against? For that they latch on very fervently to the caste practices perpetuated in the past and try to make the brahmins feel belittled or come to their way of thinking. If they think a smear campaign can achieve the objective they are bound to fail. The superiority that is associated with the brahmins is a rightfully earned confidence in self

I am not belittling the achievements of others. But everyone or more generally, every group has some differences. It is best to leave each group as they are and not force all into the same way of thinking. Let each contribute in the best way they can for the overall benefit.

The whole discussion is meaningless in my view in the present day context. Originally, varna was identified with the profession one does i.e., a person having 3 brothers may be in profession belonging to different varnas depending upon the mental capability and physical capacity. Over a period of time, it was found easier to take up the profession from his father or relatives already in the profession than from an unknown person in the same profession. It was also found to be more profitable to engage all the members of the family in the same profession. This subsequently led to the hereditary system of professions. Later the people grouped among themselves on hereditary basis and identified on the basis of the profession of the family. Mixing of foreign culture over centuries and the policy of divide and rule adopted by the British led to the identification of a person on caste basis that too on the basis of lineage rather than the profession they take up. This is how I conjecture about the prevailing caste system which actually should have been on the basis of profession as per the sacred texts. Nowadays the so called brahmins perform all the professions like service,entrepreneurship, military, priests and advisors. Paradoxially all the professionals are identified as brahmins. Ironically, many of them do not even read and write sanskrit these days. The real Brahmin is one who tries to attain Brahmam which is the ultimate for all human beings through evolution of soul and experiences of the previous births. Therefore, a person who renders service to the community evolves gradually in soul and becomes a real brahmin. Even though present system of identifying a person with a caste/sub sects through lineage, we have to live with it till the wisdom dawns on all of them that they are equal as Jivatma and have to attain Paramatma. N. Rajagopalan, [email protected]

Dear Smt HH,

The more the discussion on "brahmin" "brahaman" "what makes one a real tamil brahman", etc., the more the current generation of youth will get disgusted with the topic itse;f and strive. in their own very limited ways, to build a "casteless" society. These discussions are therefore serving a good purpose, IMO.
From the emotional responses from various posters it is quite obvious that this thread is perhaps making people rethink stuff on the dharmashastras.

Also, sir, Yamaka says he knows folks who think dharmashastras were someone's pov. So please do post something on the dharmashastras, how they functioned as the 'constitution' of various kingdoms.

Let us not try to discuss what happened 2 millennia ago in today's terms and conditions; it was then possible for a handful of brahmans to twist and turn the entire society to suit their purposes; we may not even be able to dream of the conditions which obtained then. And this is the signal flaw in some of the arguments I find here. When one Shambuka was slain, it was not one individual human being killed, just as one Ravana killed was not tantamount to one enemy of the Aryan Rama, the Ikshvaku king, being eliminated.
Sir you have packed many things into one post. Please bear with me for sorting this out for my own understanding:
1) Were all dharmashastras written over 2 millenia ago?
2) Were there only a handful of brahmins who turned things around? I mean, were there no armies?
3) Are you saying that if one Shambuka was slain, it does not mean only one individual was slain, instead it means that many people like Shambuka were killed? Have i understood this correctly? Similarly not just one Ravana but more more enemies of Rama were killed?

Also sir, according to Jain sources Krishna was the cousin of Neminath and Ikshwaku was the first thirthankara, Rishaba Dev. Although i wonder how authentic jain sources are, there appears no reason to overlook them. If Jain sources are true, then it would mean that Rama was a Jain fighting against a Brahmin Ravana ??

Some books say Jainism seperated out of Hindusim only at a later date which means Hindu and Jain gods were the same at one time, hence Rama may be taken to be both Jain and Hindu (??). If Ravana was an Angirasa of the Atharvan, could it be possible that Rama represented the Trayi-Veda?

Also, if Indra killed off Puloman, Prahalada, the Yatis, etc, it possibly means the 'religion' of these people was also effectively finished off. Since it is obvious that there were lost sampradayas, i started trying to look into Jain tantric traditions, but all seem to be linked to hindu puranas. Sir would you know something about jain tantric traditions? Like which is the oldest, and what practices it involves?

Regards

Last edited:
I am a simple individual. Not a member of a mutt who can influence the constitution, or the social outcomes of the country.

India is a democracy- of the powerful numerically superior castes(PNSC), by the PNSC and for the PNSC period.

India is a democracy- of the powerful numerically superior castes(PNSC), by the PNSC and for the PNSC period.
Whoever were those "numerically superior" castes, obviously all joined hands together to create reservations for themselves in colonial india. They became "numerically superior" because they decided to join hands and represent themselves as "one group". Before the colonial period, history only shows a hotpotch of various 'groups' fighting with each other.

Brahmins went to court to decide Varna status of various castes, and returned "numerically superior" castes as shudras. Naturally these numerically superior shudras thot that creating a class of "backward castes" and seeking job reservations thru such reservations is the only possible way for them to progress. All this was discussed in the 'Brits are to Blame' thread.

In India's democracy, loopholes in constitution were created in the name of "freedom to manage religious affairs". This post can convey what am trying to say: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/5557-enge-brahmanana-20.html#post68200

The only way out is for the central government to create a Ministry of religious affairs with seperate Boards each for Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Sikh, Jain and Other Religions. Under the Board of Hindu Religious Affairs, let the government bring all veda patshalas, saiva adheenams, etc. Let this Board of Hindu Affairs be an autonomous body managed by a select group drawn from IAS officers, the Judiciary, the Rajya Sabha, and also have representatives on its management board from various vedapatshalas and adheenams. With growing awareness, in a democracy, who knows this is what the public might seek in future. I may not live to see in in my lifetime. But someday or the other this is bound to come true. This is also the only way to manage religious fanaticism and keep an eye on madrasas.

Whoever were those "numerically superior" castes, obviously all joined hands together to create reservations for themselves in colonial india. They became "numerically superior" because they decided to join hands and represent themselves as "one group". Before the colonial period, history only shows a hotpotch of various 'groups' fighting with each other.

This statement has to be carved and engraved in stone. It highlights the importance of unity of castes, this time forced by brahminical doctrine of shudras!
இதுக்கு என்ன சொல்ல போறாங்கோ

The only way out is for the central government to create a Ministry of religious affairs with seperate Boards each for Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Sikh, Jain and Other Religions. Under the Board of Hindu Religious Affairs, let the government bring all veda patshalas, saiva adheenams, etc. Let this Board of Hindu Affairs be an autonomous body managed by a select group drawn from IAS officers, the Judiciary, the Rajya Sabha, and also have representatives on its management board from various vedapatshalas and adheenams. With growing awareness, in a democracy, who knows this is what the public might seek in future. I may not live to see in in my lifetime. But someday or the other this is bound to come true. This is also the only way to manage religious fanaticism and keep an eye on madrasas.
I strongly disagree. The Government meddles with caste and religion. Dont expect the government to be neutral. Remember the Shah Banu Case? They appeased the fundamentalists. You cant guarantee that Narendra Modi cant become a PM. You may also see reservations even for becoming a swamiji of RK Mutt? Initiative has to come from the people.

To curb fanatism there is a simple solution. It should ban the formation of religion-specific or restrictive organizations. Every cultural association should be accessible to all, including non believers , as long as they maintain decoram. You cannot have a temple banning an atheist, christian or a mosque banning a woman or hindu. Also people should be allowed to publish critical articles on activities of organization, as long as they stick to facts.

Dear K:

To tell you the truth, I am very comfortable with the Thread... because I feel I have met many of you in person and talked at length about dozens of issues......

...Nice knowing you all,

Cheers.

Regards.

Y

dear Y,

i hope you have not met me. i do not come across good. :) unless you have been to canada and that too toronto, and that too moved among the TB crowd of the 1980s (the old fogies) there is no chance of meeting me. and that too, i keep mostly to a few close ones.

hopefully, '...Nice knowing you all' is just a confirmation of a relationship and not a good bye?

personally speaking, love to have you here. also it is a credit to praveen & KRS for managing such an eclectic group. after all 'the Hindu' is just a newspaper, and not a mouthpiece of a religion. so too may be viewed, the nomenclature of this forum

haveagoodday!

Last edited:
To curb fanatism there is a simple solution. It should ban the formation of religion-specific or restrictive organizations. Every cultural association should be accessible to all, including non believers , as long as they maintain decoram. You cannot have a temple banning an atheist, christian or a mosque banning a woman or hindu. Also people should be allowed to publish critical articles on activities of organization, as long as they stick to facts.
You are saying exactly what i was saying in this post: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/5557-enge-brahmanana-21.html#post68234

But i do not think any change wrt to accessibility for all will ever come from the concerned institutions themselves.

Regards.

Also, sir, Yamaka says he knows folks who think dharmashastras were someone's pov. So please do post something on the dharmashastras, how they functioned as the 'constitution' of various kingdoms.

The different Dharmasastras were obviously written at different times and locations. Dr. P.V. Kane, after his thorough study of Dharmasastras, has listed them chronologically (Pl. see attachment.).

Sir you have packed many things into one post. Please bear with me for sorting this out for my own understanding:
1) Were all dharmashastras written over 2 millenia ago?
2) Were there only a handful of brahmins who turned things around? I mean, were there no armies?
3) Are you saying that if one Shambuka was slain, it does not mean only one individual was slain, instead it means that many people like Shambuka were killed? Have i understood this correctly? Similarly not just one Ravana but more more enemies of Rama were killed?

Also sir, according to Jain sources Krishna was the cousin of Neminath and Ikshwaku was the first thirthankara, Rishaba Dev. Although i wonder how authentic jain sources are, there appears no reason to overlook them. If Jain sources are true, then it would mean that Rama was a Jain fighting against a Brahmin Ravana ??

Some books say Jainism seperated out of Hindusim only at a later date which means Hindu and Jain gods were the same at one time, hence Rama may be taken to be both Jain and Hindu (??). If Ravana was an Angirasa of the Atharvan, could it be possible that Rama represented the Trayi-Veda?

Also, if Indra killed off Puloman, Prahalada, the Yatis, etc, it possibly means the 'religion' of these people was also effectively finished off. Since it is obvious that there were lost sampradayas, i started trying to look into Jain tantric traditions, but all seem to be linked to hindu puranas. Sir would you know something about jain tantric traditions? Like which is the oldest, and what practices it involves?

Regards
Happy, you have now packed so very much into one comment! that I am unable to even start giving my views! Neminath was the teerthankara before Parshvanath. Wikipedia has this para on Arishtanemi (Neminatha):—

"The literary evidence seems to be supported by epigraphic evidence. In Kathiawar, a copper plate has been discovered on which there is an inscription[citation needed]. King Nebuchadrezzar I of Babylonia, who was also the lord of Reva-nagara (in Kathiawar of Gujarat) had come to the place (Dwarka) of the Yaduraja. He built a temple and paid homage and made the grant perpetual in favour of Lord Neminatha, the paramount deity of Mt. Raivata. This inscription is of great historical importance. Nebuchadrezzar was living in the 10th century BCE. This indicates that even in the 10th century BCE there was the worship of the temple of Neminatha, the 22nd Tirthankara of the Jains."

The real source is not cited but this para figures is very many web pages and blogs! That the first teerthankara was from Ikshvaku clan, I have not come across anywhere so far. But it looks as though Jain/Buddhist accounts of Kanha (Krishna), Arishtanemi, the Vrishnis of Dwaraka, etc., have been absorbed into the brahmanical hindu texts and more so in Bhagavata, Harivamsa purana etc., probably because these personages had independently acquired wide recognition and popularity among the masses outside the chaturvarnya groups, and since it has always been the Hindu practice to absorb such icons into the hindu (Sanatana Dharma) pantheon, in one way or another so that the following for the Dharma (religion) expanded. In this respect hindu religion has also been a proselytizing religion, not of believers but of godheads, if I am permitted to say so.

I do not know about Jain Tantric traditions. But IMHO the tantric schools of hindu, buddhist and Jain belief systems are more or less similar and mostly belong to the non-recommended "vaamaachaara" schools.

Attachments

• 010-a.webp
    010-a.webp
    90.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest ads

Back