• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

why are Hindus following Abrahamin religious practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The word ' brahma ' generally means in the Rgveda ' prayer ' or"* hymn ". Vide 62 Rg IV. 6.11, VI. 52.2, X. 105.8, X. 141.5 ('Oh Agni, make our prayer and sacrifice prosper by your flames'). Rg. III. 53.12 is 'this brahma ( prayer or spiritual power ) of Visvamitra protects the Bharata people'. In the Atharvaveda II. 15.4 (as brahma and ksatra entertain no fear, nor are they harmed ) brahma seems to mean ' the class of brahmanas '. The transition of meaning from 'brahma' (prayer) to 'brahma' meaning the class of those who composed or recited prayers is natural and easy. In the Rgveda I. 157.2 both brahma and ksatra occur 63 in the same verse where they probably mean ' prayer ' and ' valour ' respectively. In the Atharvaveda III. 19. 1 both words occur and probably mean the same thing as in Rg. I. 157.2. In some Vedic works brahma and ksatra stand collectively for brahmanas 64 and ksatriyas (e. g. Tai. Br. II. 7.18, Br. Up. I. 4.11, Kathopanisad I.2.24)."

Out of the above portion from Dr. Kane's book, you have deemed it fit to quote the last sentence and since Dr. Kane has not said that brahma and kshatra stand collectively for brahmanas and kshatriyas, you conclude that such a meaning is not to be found in TS. I will hesitate to venture into a conclusion like that unless I am 100% sure that it is so, or some other authority, like Dr. Kane, has expressly said so.

In this case therefore, first of all, there is no ground to warrant the conclusion "for portion in Tai.Br not found in Tai.S". Secondly, even granting that such a conclusion is valid, what relevance has it got in arriving at a decision on whether T.S. and T. Br. were composed in the same period?

In footnote 64 on the same page 30, Dr. Kane has given —
ब्रह्मवै ब्राह्मणः क्षत्रं राजन्यः । तै. ब्रा. III. 9.14. (brahmavai brāhmaṇaḥ kṣatraṃ rājanyaḥ | tai. brā. III. 9.14).
So, in the same T.Br. the contrary position exists and suppose I say, therefore, T.S. and T. Br. talk the language of the same period, how far will it be correct from a scholastic pov? That is why I had to remark that lifting remarks in this matter - without much care - and trying to prove or buttress a point is not creditable.

Will all this mean that at a later period, brahmanas and kshatriyas used to be bracketed together either as brahma or kshatra? If so, do we have any authoritative statement to this effect?

I have taken only one instance out of the several you have furnished. But, for the reasons given above I will not be convinced that such instances prove that T. Br. and T.S. belong to different periods, though I am prepared to change my views in the light of convincing evidence.
Aiyo sir, already mentioned that Kane has not written anything about their periods of composition, nor have i mentioned Kane in such context.

This paper by Keith http://ia700300.us.archive.org/20/items/vedablackyajuss02keitgoog/vedablackyajuss02keitgoog.pdf has sufficiently answered the query whether or not the texts were composed at the same time. The Taittariya Samhita and Taittiriya Brahmana are perhaps a unique case.

Keith says there is not much difference in the position of the two texts wrt language. However based on contents they do correspond to different time periods. Already mentioned some part in post # 70.

Keith basically goes composition by composition within the text wrt assigning periods of composition. He says all Aranyakas are composed later than the Samhitas as regards the Brahmana passages, and while some are new mantras, there are also old mantras in new settings. Portions like Purushamedha, etc are late additions.

Infact, he also brings out portions of Samhitas that are supplementary to the Brahmana texts. Overall the Taittriya Samhita (as i had suspected) turns out to be a relatively new text, and composed over some period of time (instead of one stroke). I think reading up the paper for the evidences he has provided will be self-explanatory.

I read until page 102. Please do read page 93 for the seperation part (and of rituals taking over the samhita mantras).

Regards.

Smt. HH,

Since the "split" is held to be related to 'caraNa', 'carakAdhvaryu', etc., I have a feeling that the 'roaming' priests or adhvaryus became the bone of contention. It is possible that adhvaryus from the sindhu banks would be coming down to kuru and pAncAla and since the northerners were held in high esteem for their correct language and speech, they would be given enough opportunities to officiate as adhvaryus in the sacrificial rites in the east. There, of course, is another version of how the bitterness between guru and sishya developed. (see the post# 2 here. Sage Yajnavalkya - Hindu Dharma Forums)

Your feeling is most probably correct, because this is what Michael Witzel has to say while discussing Bhodhayana Srauta Sutra (BSS)

QUOTE:

The other passage {referring to passages in BSS} tells the origin of two groups of Aryans, the amavAsu “who stayed at home” and who include the GandhAri, ParSu and arAtta and that of the Ayava “who moved eastwards” – the kuru-panchAlas and kAsi-videhas. The identity of the parSu is unclear; and the exact habitat of the arAttas is unknown; they constitute the major Punjab tribe or are, at least, one of its major tribal (sub-)units. This account describes the major orthoprax vedic groupings ; the madhyadesha core with its late vedic extension towards the East, and the northerners who are highly regarded for their standard of speech, while the westerners (Bahika, MahAvrsha) are disregarded because of their customs and expressions.

UNQUOTE

Last edited:
Aiyo sir, already mentioned that Kane has not written anything about their periods of composition, nor have i mentioned Kane in such context.

This paper by Keith http://ia700300.us.archive.org/20/items/vedablackyajuss02keitgoog/vedablackyajuss02keitgoog.pdf has sufficiently answered the query whether or not the texts were composed at the same time. The Taittariya Samhita and Taittiriya Brahmana are perhaps a unique case.

Keith says there is not much difference in the position of the two texts wrt language. However based on contents they do correspond to different time periods. Already mentioned some part in post # 70.

Keith basically goes composition by composition within the text wrt assigning periods of composition. He says all Aranyakas are composed later than the Samhitas as regards the Brahmana passages, and while some are new mantras, there are also old mantras in new settings. Portions like Purushamedha, etc are late additions.

Infact, he also brings out portions of Samhitas that are supplementary to the Brahmana texts. Overall the Taittriya Samhita (as i had suspected) turns out to be a relatively new text, and composed over some period of time (instead of one stroke). I think reading up the paper for the evidences he has provided will be self-explanatory.

I read until page 102. Please do read page 93 for the seperation part (and of rituals taking over the samhita mantras).

Regards.

Smt. HH,

My persistent doubts and queries may be inconvenient to you. But I can't help cite the following form A.B. Keith's Introduction:—

§ 6. The Brahmana and the Aranyaka.

We have seen that the evidence of language does not suggest any
very serious difference in position between the Brahmana portions of the
Sanhita or the Brahmana or the Aranyaka, and this conclusion is fully
justified by a consideration of the contents of these works, which in some
degree invalidates the ordinary view that the distinction of Sanhita and
Brahmana is one of time pure and simple.

It is clear at once that the Brahmana is a composite work, and
doubtless it owes its existence to the desire of the Taittiriya school to
emulate the Rgvedic tradition of Brahmana and Sanhita which led to the
separation of both in the Vajasaneyi redaction. But the whole form of
the work proves that its materials were merely then collected, not created.
It shows as great a confusion of Mantra and Brahmana sections as the
Sanhita itself,
p.lxxvi

Now, I take it that Mr. Keith opines that the ordinary view that the samhita and brahmana are separated by time, does not apply here. Do you agree?

Smt. HH,

My persistent doubts and queries may be inconvenient to you. But I can't help cite the following form A.B. Keith's Introduction:—

§ 6. The Brahmana and the Aranyaka.

We have seen that the evidence of language does not suggest any
very serious difference in position between the Brahmana portions of the
Sanhita or the Brahmana or the Aranyaka, and this conclusion is fully
justified by a consideration of the contents of these works, which in some
degree invalidates the ordinary view that the distinction of Sanhita and
Brahmana is one of time pure and simple.

It is clear at once that the Brahmana is a composite work, and
doubtless it owes its existence to the desire of the Taittiriya school to
emulate the Rgvedic tradition of Brahmana and Sanhita which led to the
separation of both in the Vajasaneyi redaction. But the whole form of
the work proves that its materials were merely then collected, not created.
It shows as great a confusion of Mantra and Brahmana sections as the
Sanhita itself,
p.lxxvi

Now, I take it that Mr. Keith opines that the ordinary view that the samhita and brahmana are separated by time, does not apply here. Do you agree?
Dear Sir,

I would go by the work in its entirety. Please do go through chapter 10. The chapter is titled "The Date of the Sanhitas' (pp. clix - clxxiii), and is divided into 2 sections, ie., the Mantra portion and the Brahmana portion. What am able to understand so far is that some portions are old, some are new. And the entire text was developed over some period of time.

The paper is absolutely fascinating, and shines plenty of light over which schools were associated and which were not....

Regards.

திரு குஞ்சுப்பு ஜி அவர்கள் சொன்னது போல் அடுத்த மதத்தினரை புண்படுத்தவில்லை.நடப்பை பற்றி என் கருத்தை எழுதினேன்.அவ்வளவு தான்.

மதுரையில் தத்தனேரி சுடுகாடு உள்ளது. அருகிலேயே கிறிஸ்தவர்களின் கல்லறையும் உள்ளது.சில மாதங்களுக்கு முன் ஒரு கிறிஸ்தவரின் சடலத்தை புதைக்க இடம் இல்லாததால் ( கல்லறை நிறம்பி வழிகிறது ) யாருக்கும் தெரியாமல் இரவு நேரம் பார்த்து நமது இந்துக்கள் புதைக்கும் இடத்தில் அந்த சடலத்தை புதைத்து விட்டு அதன்மேல் சிலுவையும் நட்டுவிட்டு சென்று விட்டார்கள்.

எந்த அரசியல் கட்சியோ,சமுதாய இயக்கங்களோ அதை கண்டுகொள்ளவில்லை.

பாரதிய ஜனதா கட்சி மட்டும் உடனடியாக தலையிட்டு அந்த பிணத்தை ,மாநகராட்சி ஊழியர்களை வைத்து உடனே தோண்டிஎடுத்து அவர்கள் கல்லறையில் வைத்துவிட்டு வந்தோம்.

கல்லறை என்பது வருங்கால சந்ததியர்க்கு இடஞ்சலை ஏற்படுத்தும் என்பதற்கு இது ஒரு உதாரணம்.

குருடன் பார்க்கிறான், செவிடன் கேட்கிறான்,முடவன் நடக்கிறான் என்றெல்லாம் ஏமாற்றுகிறார்கள் என்று எழுதினால் தான் அடுத்த மதத்தினரை
புண்படுத்துவதாக அர்த்தம். நான் அப்படி எழுதவில்லை.

Last edited:
இச் செய்தி எனக்கு ஆழ்ந்த மன வருத்தத்தை அளிக்கிறது. நான் ஆன்மீகத்தில் ஆழ்ந்த படிப்போ, அறிவோ உள்ளவன் இல்லை, எனது வாழ்வின் அனுபவமே எனது அறிவு. மனித வாழ்வில் பிறப்பும் இறப்புமே உண்மை மற்றெல்லாம் இடையே நாம் நமக்கே செய்துகொண்ட வேலிகள். மதங்கள் மனிதனுக்கு நல் வழி காட்டவே அமைக்கப்பட்ட கோட்பாடுகள் அவைகளை இவ்வாறு நமக்குள் பிரிவினைப் படுத்த உபயோகிப்போமானால் வருங்கால சமுதாயத்தினர்கள் மத நம்பிக்கயற்றவர்களாகிவிடுவார்கள்.
நலங்கோரும்,
ப்ரஹ்மண்யன்,
பெங்களூர்

வணக்கம் சார்.உங்கள் எழுத்துக்களுக்கு அப்படியே நானும் ஒத்து கொள்கிறென்.

நாங்கள் யாரையும் புண்படுத்தவில்லை.அதேசமயம் மதுரையில் நடந்த ஒரு சம்பவத்தை மேற்கோள் காட்டினேன்.அவ்வளவு தான்.

மற்றொரு சம்பவத்தையும் கூறுகிறேன். தமிழகத்தில் பிறந்த அனைவருக்கும் மதுரை பெரியார் பேருந்து நிலையம் தெரியும்.அதன் அருகில் உள்ள சர்ச்சும் தெரியும்.

சுமார் 5 ஆண்டுகளுக்கு முன்பு ரயில்வே மேம்பாலம் விரிவாக்கம் செய்ய சர்ச்சிடம் அப்போது இருந்த கல்லறை தோட்டத்தை அரசு கேட்டது. அந்த கல்லறை தோட்டமானது சுமார் 150 ஆண்டுகளுக்கு முன்பிருந்த ஆங்கிலேய அரசு செப்பு பட்டயமாக சர்ச்சுக்கு அப்பொழுது இனாமாக கொடுத்தது.கல்லறை தோட்டமாக பயன்படுத்திகொள்ள அனுமதித்திருந்தது.தற்போதய சூழலில் நகரை விரிவுபடுத்த இருக்கும் இக்கட்டான சூழலில் அரசு அதை திருப்பி கேட்டது.

ஆங்கிலேய அரசு செப்பு பட்டயம் எழுதி கொடுத்த பொழுது அரசுக்கு எப்பொழுது அவ்விடம் வேண்டுமோ அப்பொழுது அதற்கு மாற்று இடம் அரசிடம் வாங்கிகொண்டு அந்த இடத்தை திருப்பி தரவேண்டும் என்ற நிபந்தனையுடன் ஆங்கிலெய அரசு கோடுத்திருந்தது.

அரசுக்கு அந்த இடம் தேவை என்று தெரிந்துகோண்ட சர்ச் நிர்வாகம், பொதுமக்கள் தேவை என்பதைகூட கருத்தில் கொள்ளாமல் அவசரம் அவசரமாக தியான மண்டபம் கட்ட முயற்சித்தது.

அதற்க்கு மாநகராட்சி அதிகாரிகளும் சர்ச் நிர்வாகத்திடம் கையூட்டு பெற்றுக்கொண்டு (ரயில்வே மேம்பால பணிக்கு அந்த இடம் தேவை என்று தெரிந்தும் கூட ) உடனடியாக அனுமதியும் வழங்கியது.

எந்த அரசியல் கட்சியும் கண்டுகொள்ளவில்லை.( சிறுபான்மையினர் ஓட்டு செய்யும் வேலை).அதை மாண்பு மிகு நீதிமன்றம் மூலம் போராடி அரசுக்கு வாங்கிகொடுத்தது விஸ்வ ஹிந்து பரிஷத்.

வழக்கு தொடுத்தவர் அதன் மாவட்ட தலைவர் திரு சின்மயா சோமசுந்தரம் ஜி அவர்கள். ( அரசு இடத்தை அரசுக்காக போராடியவர் அவர் )

அரசு இடம் அரசுக்கு தேவையிருந்தும்கூட அதை திருப்பி கேட்க அரசுக்கு தைரியம் இல்லை.

சிறுபான்மையினர் என்றால் சண்டியர் வீட்டு மாடா?

சர்ச்சிடம் போராடி இடத்தை மீட்டபின் பாலம் விரிவாக்கம் செய்யப்பட்டது.

ஸ்டாலின் ரிப்பன் வெட்டி பாலத்தை திறந்து வைத்தார்.

Last edited:
மதுரையில் தத்தனேரி சுடுகாடு உள்ளது. அருகிலேயே கிறிஸ்தவர்களின் கல்லறையும் உள்ளது.சில மாதங்களுக்கு முன் ஒரு கிறிஸ்தவரின் சடலத்தை புதைக்க இடம் இல்லாததால் ( கல்லறை நிறம்பி வழிகிறது ) யாருக்கும் தெரியாமல் இரவு நேரம் பார்த்து நமது இந்துக்கள் புதைக்கும் இடத்தில் அந்த சடலத்தை புதைத்து விட்டு அதன்மேல் சிலுவையும் நட்டுவிட்டு சென்று விட்டார்கள்.

எந்த அரசியல் கட்சியோ,சமுதாய இயக்கங்களோ அதை கண்டுகொள்ளவில்லை.

பாரதிய ஜனதா கட்சி மட்டும் உடனடியாக தலையிட்டு அந்த பிணத்தை ,மாநகராட்சி ஊழியர்களை வைத்து உடனே தோண்டிஎடுத்து அவர்கள் கல்லறையில் வைத்துவிட்டு வந்தோம்.

A cruel story runs on wheels, and every hand oils the wheels as they run !!!

I do not agree, sir. Will you apply the same logic, when conversion is rampant, people cut and cross fences and torment others. Adharma has to be fought. As long as followers of one religion want to increase their number by foul means or by force or coercion, conflicts will remain.

இச் செய்தி எனக்கு ஆழ்ந்த மன வருத்தத்தை அளிக்கிறது. நான் ஆன்மீகத்தில் ஆழ்ந்த படிப்போ, அறிவோ உள்ளவன் இல்லை, எனது வாழ்வின் அனுபவமே எனது அறிவு. மனித வாழ்வில் பிறப்பும் இறப்புமே உண்மை மற்றெல்லாம் இடையே நாம் நமக்கே செய்துகொண்ட வேலிகள். மதங்கள் மனிதனுக்கு நல் வழி காட்டவே அமைக்கப்பட்ட கோட்பாடுகள் அவைகளை இவ்வாறு நமக்குள் பிரிவினைப் படுத்த உபயோகிப்போமானால் வருங்கால சமுதாயத்தினர்கள் மத நம்பிக்கயற்றவர்களாகிவிடுவார்கள்.
நலங்கோரும்,
ப்ரஹ்மண்யன்,
பெங்களூர்

பா.ஜ.க என்றுமே சிறுபான்மயினருக்கு எதிரான கட்சி அல்ல...அவ்வாறு சித்தரிக்கப்பட்டது.

எந்த பா.ஜ.க ஆளும் மானிலங்களிலாவது மத மோதல்கள் உண்டா?

நீண்ட வருடங்களுக்கு பின் பா.ஜ.க ஆட்சியில் தான் மரியாதைக்குறிய அப்துல் கலாம் அவர்கள் ஜனாதிபதியானார்.

அவர் முஸ்லிம் சமுதாயத்தை சார்ந்தவர் என்றோ,சிறுபான்மயினர் ஓட்டுக்காகவோ அவர் ஜனாதிபதி ஆக்கப்படவில்லை.அவர் அறிவிற்சிறந்தவர்.ஜனாதிபதி பதவிக்கு அவரை விட தகுதியான நபர் இருக்கமுடியாது என்று பா.ஜ.க கருதியது.

அதே அப்துல் கலாம் அவர்களை இறண்டாவது முறையாக நீட்டிப்பு செய்வதற்க்கு முட்டுகட்டை போட்டது காங்கிரஸ்.

கிறிஸ்தவர்களை பா.ஜ.க எதிர்க்கவில்லை. கட்டாய மத மாற்றங்களை வண்மையாக எதிற்கிறோம்.அவ்வளவுதான்.

பா.ஜ.க வை பொருத்தவரையில் மக்கள் அனைவரும் சமம்.

மத அடிப்படையில் மக்களை பிறித்து பார்க்காதே என்று சொல்கிறோம்.

....பாரதிய ஜனதா கட்சி மட்டும் உடனடியாக தலையிட்டு அந்த பிணத்தை ,மாநகராட்சி ஊழியர்களை வைத்து உடனே தோண்டிஎடுத்து அவர்கள் கல்லறையில் வைத்துவிட்டு வந்தோம்.
TSSN, from the piece of information you have given it seems there is a good possibility, or even probability, that there was no deliberate mischief involved. These people may have been mistaken as to the boundary of the cemetery, or may have other innocent reasons for the mistake, if it was a mistake. To take this instance and blow it out of proportion and make it into a minority issue, appeasement, etc., goes only to fan the flames of religious division.

Take for instance the innocuous sounding sentence of yours:

"கல்லறை என்பது வருங்கால சந்ததியர்க்கு இடஞ்சலை ஏற்படுத்தும் என்பதற்கு இது ஒரு உதாரணம்."

What do you mean by this, are you saying Christians and Muslims must stop the practice of burial of the dead? If I may say so, this is an example of the kind of sentiments why BJP is viewed with suspicion by religious minorities and progressive minded people. No use saying you are not against religions, you must stop sowing divisions along religious lines. Action is what matters, talk is cheap.

Cheers!

Please see this post. Even our gods are following happy new year and cake cutting on December 31. And you are all discussing "why hindus follow abrahamic religions?", Strange!

There is a general shortage of space for burial in most countries; each country/ community is working hard for solutions, vertical burial, even opening the graves and relocating the remains or finding land away from the city.

"Newer options are being explored in countries such as the United States: reduced-space coffins; upright burials; deep-freeze liquid nitrogen in which the corpse is placed in a tube and injected with liquid nitrogen; ultrasound reduction, which is used after liquid nitrogen to reduce bone ash structure; and laser cremation."

"How many people are buried, and how many cremated?

In 2003, there were 612,000 deaths in the UK. In England, in the vast majority of cases, deaths are followed by cremation: the current cremation rate is around 72 per cent. However, in a significant and growing number of cases, cremations are themselves followed by the formal burial of cremated remains at cemeteries and crematoria. In addition, it should be noted that certain religious groups do not favour cremation, including Muslim and Jewish people."

So enlightened nations are trying to find alternate solutions and people are accepting other methods.

Last edited:
sarang,

most burial plots are re-used. there is a period, say 10 years or so, which the community has decided is a good enough time, for the human remains, barring the bones, to commune with the soil.

these are excavated, and the bones are crushed, and used in making porcelain.

hence the word 'bone china'. truly, if you must, please avoid porcelain flatware, as they do indeed contain, human originated calcium, for the white texture.

during the union carbide crisis in bhopal, the muslim clergy issued special dispensation, due to sheer number of bodies to be buried in bhopal in one short period. even though the usually accepted period of burial was not completed, the bones were exhumed, and the plots filled in with the victims of the gas leak.

bizarre, as it sounds, this is reality today.

and to confess, when i was young, i used to read about the oldest son, breaking open the skull of the parent, to ,release the soul' as part of a brahmin funeral practice. i was too timid to verify this, and you can imagine my relief, when on my dad's cremation, apart from the harrowing ritual of placing burning coal on his chest, i could safely scoot home, and leave the tending of the body to ashes, to some young men, incidentally converted christians, at the burning ghat, and come back at collect the ashes the next day.

nowadays, i hear, the electric crematoriums, are far less dramatic in scope, and you get the ashes in two hours. not bad.

most burial plots are re-used. there is a period, say 10 years or so, which the community has decided is a good enough time, for the human remains, barring the bones, to commune with the soil.

It must be unique place. Generally in USA a burial plot is not reused. There are burial records and head stones from war of independence, civil war etc. You can walk into any burial grounds and see 1000 of years old grave site.

It must be unique place. Generally in USA a burial plot is not reused. There are burial records and head stones from war of independence, civil war etc. You can walk into any burial grounds and see 1000 of years old grave site.

i know of sure of this in quibble island cemetry in santhome chennai. also re bhopa, what i read. i know it is true in venice. may not be all over.

but i think, it is in practice in places where land is at premium.

in usa, canada - not only is the land not reused, but also many cases, it is cemented and many such stuff. but there are also mausoleums, where bodies are stacked one on top of the other.

the same goes in europe.

i think, one good thing, that came out of burial, starting from mohenjodaro, egypt, ancient tamil culture is that, it gave us, thousands of years later, an insight into how these people looked, lived and treated their dead.

i would add here. there is nothing to demean burial or glorify cremation, an its just another custom.

its easy to tick an answer to this question..

major contributor to pollution in holy ganga is?
a) dispensing cremated ash
b) seepage from burial grounds

just before the Okhalama bomber timoty McVeigh could be executed, bill clinton signed a special legislation barring convicts from being buried in military cemetery, and finally he was torched in the crematorium

osma bin laden / prabakaran missed a decent burial.

among those communities who follow the burial tradition, one who died of suicide gets cremated, a bad farewell, according to them.

some claims that, this custom of cremating the dead, came to bharath,from the invading aryan armies, who found it easy to torch the victims of war, than taking the pain of digging a 6*2 pit to bury the enemy.

interestingly, within the same culture group, holy sages being buried instead of the usual cremation, which itself is an indicator that tilts towards cremation.

for those who often visit aquariums and enjoy feeding fish:- There is nothing quite good as sea burial. its quite simple,tidy,eco and not very incriminating.

Last edited by a moderator:
And Jawaharlal Nehru wanted his ashes to be immersed in ganga and scattered all over india from air.

I think ganga is intentionally kept polluted to lure foreign visitors - special night boat rides are organised for the tourists to watch burning from start to finish.

So many highly intelligent persons doing "vaadaprativaadams" on what is best for a dead body! Very funny!!

If Thenali raman were here, he would probably have suggested these choices:—

1. bury the body, spend more money digging it out after 10 days and burn it.

2. burn the body and build a tomb or even a sepulchre over the ashes covering the area of burning.

3. burn half the body after cutting it like what Adisankara did in the case of his mother, and bury the other half; by changing the upper and lower halves you will have two choices here.

Cremation became the usual mode of disposal of the dead bodies, with certain exceptions – the exceptions being bodies of infants[citation needed], yogis, sadhus, and a few others. Cremation became popular due to the Hindu concept of detachment of soul from the body at the time of death, and the transmigration of the soul from one body to another.

It is a recent phenomenon particularly with GUru's to bury them and create a mausoleum, in the grounds of the temple. If the soul is the true identity of the person, then the body should not be given this prominence. Also it binds the soul to the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back