• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple Treasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Smt. Happy Hindu,

The fact that there is/was a very valuable treasure below the Padmanabha idol in the sanctum sanctorum of the temple, and a rough guess about the stone slab to be removed for access to the underground cellars, was common knowledge of the masses at least from my boyhood days, sixty years or so ago. What a "treasure" meant was left to each one's imagination; I, as a boy imagined a crore worth of the Travancore rupee (which was the legal currency in those days here ;)). Nobody thought of utilizing it because everyone felt that the money belonged to the Lord Sri Padmanabha, just as the entire land of Travancore belonged to HIM and was always - and even today, in revenue records - shown as "Sree Pandaarathu vaka"(ஸ்ரீ பண்டாரத்து வகை), meaning the property of the divine bhanDaaram or savings.

The present imbroglio has been the outcome of palace intrigues, according to some hush-hush sources because one group within the royal family suspect the bonafides of the present family head and they have put this Iyengar Sundararajan as their front man; another equally strong rumour is that this Sundararajan has been living in what is royal family property for generations, that recently they wanted the rent to be raised and the tenant (Sundararajan) is retaliating in this form.It is reported in some quarters that in his petition he only prayed for safety of the treasure and there was no specific prayer for inventorying, etc., and that the SC in its own wisdom has created all this கந்தரகோளம் at the end of which, it has come to sense the reality of the situation, and has stopped opening the remaining one vault which is stated to be nearest to the idol or just down below it and its steel door is so strong that only the best gas-cutters or monitored explosives can do the job. The popular belief - and now stronger it is - is that this cellar contains the most valuable items and has been so securely placed so that even if any future ruler got tempted to splurge it, it will be nearly impossible to open it in secrecy.

Of course these are all rumours only and there is no reliability per se in these versions. But almost all those who cherish the memories of the Temple feel sad today at these developments.

I personally feel that despite whatever is being said by many VIPs today, the major part of the treasure will disappear, or be replaced by spurious look-alikes within a period of a few years and politicians will ultimately reap the benefit therefrom.

Last edited:
I wish to give below a brief account on a Tamil Brahmin who served the famous Maharajah Sri Marthanda Varma - 1706-1758, as Dalawai.

Ramayyan Dalawai was a Sankethi Smartha Brahmin from Yervadi village Tirunelveli District. He joined a minor post in the Palace Management and rose to the height of Dalawai by his intelligence, hard work and dedication to the then Maharajah Marthanda Varma of Travancore. He served the Maharajah both as a Dalawai and Chief of staff and due to his efforts many battles were won and the State expanded considerably in area and wealth during his time. He was instrumental in introducing Revenue Records for the State. The renovation of Sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple at Tiruvananthapuram and introduction of daily rituals at the Temple took place during the reign of Maharajah Marthanda Varma and Ramayyan Dalawai.

The sobriquet "God's own Country" is the result of gifting the entire Travancore (திருவிதாங்கூர்) to Sri Padmanabhaswamy by Sri Marthanda Varma. Maharajah Marthanda Varma surrendered his Kingdom together with all properties to Lord Sri Padhmanabhaswamy on January,3,1750 AD and ruled the kingdom as Sri Padmanabha dasa ,the servant of the Lord.

While Ramayyan Dhalai was carrying his Administration most successfully, he fell ill at Mavelikkaray in Dhanu 931 ME (1756 AD). The Maharajah felt exceedingly sorry and sent the Elia Rajah with an offer to honour and help the most trust worthy and upright minister in what ever way he desired. But even at his death bed Ramayyan Dhalawai declined to accept anything special from his Master and died shortly after. It was surprising that no private property of any considerable value was found in the late Dalawai's residence, though he has been closely attached to the Maharajah from his childhood and had held most responsible appointments from his Secretary to Dalawai for about twenty seven years. The loss of Ramayyan Dhalawai was so personal to the Maharajah, he fell into deep melancholy and within two years the Maharajah Marthanda Varma also fell ill and died on 27th Mithunam 933 ME (1758).

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Shri Brahmanyan,

A legend coming down the family line (my periyammai was a direct descendant of Ramayyan Dalawai), is that Ramayyan was working as an assistant to the palace cook. Ramayyan was constantly harassed by his chief and grinding coconut gratings for paayasam always fell on Ramayyan; the chief would never agree that the cocnut was fully ground and used to always chide saying "it should be like butter"வெண்ணை மாதிரி அரைக்கணம். Fed up with this, one day Ramayyan took actual butter and showed it to his chief and when the latter made his usual comments after just touching the lump brought by Ramayyan, he got enraged and threw the butter on the Chief cook's face.

The complaint went straight to the King Marthanda Varma who was impressed by the uprightness and intelligence and courage of Ramayyan and made him a very important official, from which he rose to become the Dalawai in due course.

Dear Shri Brahmanyan,

A legend coming down the family line (my periyammai was a direct descendant of Ramayyan Dalawai), is that Ramayyan was working as an assistant to the palace cook. Ramayyan was constantly harassed by his chief and grinding coconut gratings for paayasam always fell on Ramayyan; the chief would never agree that the cocnut was fully ground and used to always chide saying "it should be like butter"வெண்ணை மாதிரி அரைக்கணம். Fed up with this, one day Ramayyan took actual butter and showed it to his chief and when the latter made his usual comments after just touching the lump brought by Ramayyan, he got enraged and threw the butter on the Chief cook's face.

The complaint went straight to the King Marthanda Varma who was impressed by the uprightness and intelligence and courage of Ramayyan and made him a very important official, from which he rose to become the Dalawai in due course.

Sangom sir,

So I guess this only reconfirms the saying that "The best way to a mans heart is through his stomach"

Dear Friends,

Upto now, no one ever thought of sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple of Trivandrum.
And now why the Temples have become the targets ? Is it to cover the scams
of the politicians and businessmen ?

Dear sirs:

The Government run Temples provide good income to the officers and the
ministers. The Tiruvannamalai temple has lot of land in Chennai and the
rent collected is meagre. The Temple lands and the hundis are very good
sources of income to the corrupt government. In many cases , the lands are
grabbed by the politicians -landlords.

Ramayyan Dalawai

Dear Shri Brahmanyan,

Dear Sri "Sangom",

Thank you for the information. You are indeed hounoured to have some one from the family of such an upright and honest man related to you. Very idea of posting a brief account on Ramayyan Dalawa was to highlight the honesty of this Tamil Brahmin, who had left no wealth of value when he died. What a refreshing contrast to the present day rulers, most of whom enter politics to serve themselves and their families.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear sirs:

The Government run Temples provide good income to the officers and the
ministers. The Tiruvannamalai temple has lot of land in Chennai and the
rent collected is meagre. The Temple lands and the hundis are very good
sources of income to the corrupt government. In many cases , the lands are
grabbed by the politicians -landlords.

Dear Sri Ranganathan,

Your post reminds me of an interesting Board I saw some years back, in the famous Thiruvotriyur (திருவொற்றியூர்) Sri Thyagarajaswamy udanurai Vadivudai Amman Temple, near Chennai, requesting the people who usurped Temple Lands to return the same voluntarily to escape the divine wrath சிவன் சொத்து குல நாசம்.
Many Temple properties especially Lands, Houses and Jewellery donated in previous generations have gone for ever.
We should be thankful to the Maharajah Marthanda Varma and his wise Dalawai for having taken care of the wealth of Sri Padmanabhaswamy untouched for such a long period.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Mr.Brahmanyan,

You are right sir. The entire area called Arunachalapuram opposite to Malar
hospital in Adyar belongs to T V Malai temple. Many have constructed their
own houses.

Many lands belonging to the Temples are swallowed by the rich and powerful
landlords and politicians.

They have even filled the temple tanks and have constructed shopping complexes.
Selvi Jayalalitha, in her previous tenure, retreived some - TV Malai, Tirukkoilur and
other places.

It is a pity.

Dear Sri Ranganathan,

We should be thankful to the Maharajah Marthanda Varma and his wise Dalawai for having taken care of the wealth of Sri Padmanabhaswamy untouched for such a long period.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

actually, you should be thanking Diwan CPR Iyer for this.

if he had spotted then, he would have done some thing better to the people of travancore ,with that huge asset , or might have kept a blind eye on that, with his own typical diplomatic approach.

actually, you should be thanking Diwan CPR Iyer for this.

if he had spotted then, he would have done some thing better to the people of travancore ,with that huge asset , or might have kept a blind eye on that, with his own typical diplomatic approach.

sir c.p.

infact advised the maharaja, to gang up with hyderabad nizam, and keep away from the indian union.

also, sir c.p. encouraged all the dalits to embrace christianity, as he assured them, that this was the quickest way to economic and social upward mobility. which explains how kanyakumari and southern kerala have a majority of xtian population.

sir cp's thinking was indeed radical. may not be aligned with the general tambram pov.

cp might have handed over the entire wealth to the british (he was an anglo phile) or perhaps swiss banks :)

sir c.p.

infact advised the maharaja, to gang up with hyderabad nizam, and keep away from the indian union.

also, sir c.p. encouraged all the dalits to embrace christianity, as he assured them, that this was the quickest way to economic and social upward mobility. which explains how kanyakumari and southern kerala have a majority of xtian population.

sir cp's thinking was indeed radical. may not be aligned with the general tambram pov.

cp might have handed over the entire wealth to the british (he was an anglo phile) or perhaps swiss banks :)

sh, kunjuppu, that may be his drawbacks according to the TB pov..but look at the higher side

still TBs of kerala hold a better position in KL, thanks to CPR. and look at his positive sides as Dewan..

he brought in women education there, and as on date KL tops in it, including womens employment

first fertilizer plant in india was brought by him, in spite of british anger.

he was the god for tamils.. if tb's dont care for him, all tamils have their due respect for him.. what the dravida folks sant Annadurai said remarked at a speech in 1967 that ""C. P. was the first person in India to suggest a plan for interlinking the nation's rivers"" dont forget, still cauvery-tanjavore tamilandu fights has not ended..we are missing CPR here.

he crushed the communists.. good or bad, to me its good..

In reaction to C. P.'s speeches for the creation of an "American model" of executive in Travancore,[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] a mass uprising broke out in the Allepey region in October 1946.On 24 October

the new KL tourism is still relying on white tourists and unsuccessuful FDI's but still pursuing it. KL's NRI deposits are the highest in india, not with TB's... is it not his vision

just few clips.. hope you would hv read this before about CPR, but pls have a glimpse at again, here below

C. P. Ramaswami Iyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

o
ne small draw back, he was not for independence.but he was better than any prime ministers of this independent india!

Last edited by a moderator:
sh, kunjuppu, that may be his drawbacks according to the TB pov..but look at the higher side

still TBs of kerala hold a better position in KL, thanks to CPR. and look at his positive sides as Dewan..

he brought in women education there, and as on date KL tops in it, including womens employment

first fertilizer plant in india was brought by him, in spite of british anger.

he was the god for tamils.. if tb's dont care for him, all tamils have their due respect for him.. what the dravida folks sant Annadurai said remarked at a speech in 1967 that ""C. P. was the first person in India to suggest a plan for interlinking the nation's rivers"" dont forget, still cauvery-tanjavore tamilandu fights has not ended..we are missing CPR here.

he crushed the communists.. good or bad, to me its good..

In reaction to C. P.'s speeches for the creation of an "American model" of executive in Travancore,[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] a mass uprising broke out in the Allepey region in October 1946.On 24 October

the new KL tourism is still relying on white tourists and unsuccessuful FDI's but still pursuing it. KL's NRI deposits are the highest in india, not with TB's... is it not his vision

just few clips.. hope you would hv read this before about CPR, but pls have a glimpse at again, here below

C. P. Ramaswami Iyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

o
ne small draw back, he was not for independence.but he was better than any prime ministers of this independent india!

I am part of this man's clan. From Maharashtra to Andhra to Tamil Nadu and to as far as Kerala and creating a scene these folks have travelled quite a lot. I find it interesting how they merged so easily with the setting of TN that their ancestral connection is quite forgotten. I heard the C.P Family even now puts up Gollu which reminds them of their Maharashtrian connection. But we dont look a bit like the Maharashtrians or the Desastha .

It is believed that C.P.'s loyalty to the nation was doubted even after independance by the Government and one of the reasons why he was not chosen to represent India on the Kashmir issue.

It is believed that C.P.'s loyalty to the nation was doubted even after independance by the Government and one of the reasons why he was not chosen to represent India on the Kashmir issue.

If I am correct, Sir C P was not considered at all, instead Sir N.Gopalaswamy Ayyangar, the then Diwan of Kashmir was chosen to represent India in UN.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

If I am correct, Sir C P was not considered at all, instead Sir N.Gopalaswamy Ayyangar, the then Diwan of Kashmir was chosen to represent India in UN.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.
I am aware of that. It is recollected as I have read, let me find out if I can get the source for this piece of news. Supposedly while the Pakistani Representative( a charming man ) was able to get along well with the Europeans , Gopalaswamy Ayyangar a strict teetotaller and a conservative, upright man was to do a job which ended up as a diplomatic disaster. The person concerned ( the source of this news) felt that had C.P been selected , considering C.P's easy ways with westerners( and his habit for alcohol picked up in europe ) , India's mission might have been more sucessful. The reason this person( I understand he is a diplomat ) feels C.P was not selected was due to concerns over his loyalty

Last edited by a moderator:
The internet is a strange place anything read long back keeps popping up here.
Brahmanyan here is the piece of news as written by Ramachandra Guha on C.P
The Hindu : Magazine / Columns : The strange case of Sir C.P. Ramaswamy Iyer
A few quotes reproduced for the benefit of readers.
Many years ago, I was told by the civil servant C.S. Venkatachar, then a high official in the Government of India, that we were right in going to the United Nations, but wrong in the choice of the man sent to represent us.
The Indian representative was the canny administrator, Gopalswami Iyengar. Iyengar was a good man to have in the Secretariat, masterly in writing notes on file that summarised in a few crisp points a complex argument. But he was not the best of speakers, nor — at least in the context of Manhattan — the most charming of hosts (that he was a vegetarian and teetotaller hardly helped). In the early discussions, Zafrullah ran rings around Iyengar, establishing an advantage that Pakistan have never since relinquished.
Venkatachar believed that Zafrullah could have been neutralised had India instead sent C.P. Ramaswamy Iyer as its principal spokesman. Sir C. P. was a brilliantly gifted lawyer and speaker, who had travelled widely in Europe and imbibed the best (some would also say the worst) in European culture. He had no dietary or drinking inhibitions. In and out of the U.N., he would have put the best possible spin on India’s case for Kashmir.
Why then did India not send Sir C.P.? The answer is that it could not. That Iyer was brilliant was beyond doubt; but that he was committed to the Indian nation was.
On June 20, 1947, Jinnah wired Iyer to say that Pakistan was “ready to establish relationship with Travancore which will be of mutual advantage”. The Dewan replied that since his State was taking steps to “maintain herself as an independent entity”, he proposed that a treaty be signed between the “independent Sovereign State” of Travancore and the Government of Pakistan.

[h=3]Hindu Scriptures Guive Guidance on Padmanabhaswami Treasure[/h]
HPI

INDIA, July 4, 2011 (By Sri Dr. S.P. Sabharathnam, one of the world's foremost expert on the sacred Agamas and a consultant to Hinduism Today).

The huge treasure unearthed in the Anantapadma Nabha Swami Temple should be handled very, very carefully.

What the temple authorities should have done first is the systematic performance of Svarnakarshana Bhairva Yagna and Nidhipati (Kubera) Yagna to get the permission from the concerned Deities to lay their hands on the treasure. Such rules are found in the Agamas. They have not done these yagnas.

As per the directions given in the Agamas under the chapter on "Mulakosa Bhakta Vivarana" (Allocation of the Divine Treasure) the treasure belongs solely to the Temple. Neither the Ruler of the country nor any other [human] supreme authority has a right to claim it.

1. Golds and diamonds should be preserved as "Mulakosa" and from the interest available from this Kosa , one part should be utilized for the timely renovations and maintenance of the temple. These gold and diamond items should not be modified or sold.

2. One part should be for education in general and education of Vedic and Agamic studies in particular.

3. One part should be for maintaining health centers and hospitals.

4. One part for maintaining Gosala and Gajasala.

5. One part for maintaining Gardens and flower plants for the temple.

6. One part for conducting the monthly festivals and yearly grand festivals (mahotsavas) without violation or omission.

7. One part for large scale anna dana(providing food for all the devotees). 8. One part for maintaining irrigation system and temple tank.

9. One part for the maintenance of other temples which are in need of financial help.

10. One part for the performance of Vedic Yagnas such as Parjanya Ishti, Garuda Yaga, Vrushabha Yaga, Mayura Yaga and others.

In this way, the directions continue further.

The Agamas indicate that such treasure may not even have been deposited by humans. They may have appeared upon the performance of certain yagnas that could had taken place centuries before. As such treasures may not have been all deposited there by the royal family of Travancore or they are the 'plundered' asset some historians have wrongly surmised.

Dear Sri Subbudu,

Thanks for posting excerpts from Ram Guha's article in The Hindu. He was correct. Sir C.P. was a brilliant orator. Interestingly I had the opportunity of hearing speeches of both Sir C.P and Sir N.G. Iyengar from the same platform when they addressed during the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of Madura College, Madurai, in 1949, where I did my intermediate.

Pakistan sent its Foreign Minister Sir Mohammed Zafarulla Khan, an eloquent orator and former Judge of Federal Court, to represent their Case in UN. Rest is history.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Award Travancore Raja with'Bharat Ratna"

I suggest the Travancore Royals should be given the 'Bharat Ratna' award for their integrity of keeping all the treasures ,in temple without any greed to usurp same. Even after the privy purse was discontinued, they could have taken out all these or even a part of it was enough to open swiss bank accounts.

Compare this with present day campaign to unearth black money, where things stand?

More than the value of the gems in the treasure, the Travancore Royals are the finest valuable gems-Ratna".

So it is just right to honour them as Bharat's Ratna- Bharat Ratna, India's highest civilian award considering the exemplary integrity.

I do not agree to make the treasures used for other purposes. We have Taj Mahal - prestigious national heritage. If auction them we may get billions. That can be used for welfare measures. Will we do that? Heritages are to be preserved for future to tell the history(Her the story of integrity and lack of selfishness. These qualities may be found by then only in history archive stories).

namaste.

Speaking of Taj Mahal, which was 'tejo mahAlaya', Stephen Knapp has photographed some locked rooms in the Mahal. Why don't the government take steps to open these rooms and see what is inside?

IMHO,the Kashmir Dispute would have remained the same even if Sir.C.P.R had argued India's case instead of Shri.N.G.Iyengar.Western countries are not interested in finding a
solution.They are interested only in keeping the case alive. Western countries do not want cooperation and unity among the countries which got freedom in the recent past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest ads

Back